The last train home

Past Is Past

The station was empty except for the exception of the few people who were waiting for the last train. A drunk guy was sleeping on one of the seats other then him everyone was standing near the yellow safety line. " Yeah, I am waiting for the train. I will be home soon, love" a man in his mid-thirty dressed in proper business attire with a black suitcase in his other hand as he answered the phone. "I miss you too" The man said, subconsciously turning left to check if the train was anywhere in sight. No sign of the train but he meets the eye of a young man who was standing few feet away from him. The young man who got caught staring smiled and politely bowed than turned his attention to his feet. The man smiled in response and walked back to sit on a seat thinking there was still time for the train, all the while continuing his conversation on the phone.

After that awkward eye contact the young man stared  at his feet lightly tapping the yellow safety line. Dressed in jeans and white t-shirt. with his hand in his pocket he looked like every 20 year would look like.He took his phone out to check the time but the 10 missed calls notification distracted him. All from the person he was trying hard to avoid.  Before he could even think about calling back, the phone was flashing again indicating THE CALL. He let out a long sigh and answered "Hel......"

"Changsub, where are you?" The voice from the other side so loud that he has to hold the phone away from his ear. " why weren't you picking up my calls? Is something wrong?" Once she stopped talking he brought  the phone back to his ear. " I am on my way home. can we talk later? I am really tired" A hint of irritation rather then tiredness clearly distinguishable in his voice.

"Do you want me to come ove......"

"Naeun the train is here. Talk to you later ok" he hurriedly end the call cause the train was here. But that wasn't the only reason. 

While waiting for the train to come to a complete halt something caught his eye.   

 

She was looking down now, her shoulder slumping like the weight of the world was taking it's toll on he. The vulnerable look he saw on her face just for a second  had his eyes glued to her.  Her presence it felt incomplete,  like she was there but she wasn't truly there.

The train door opened and she mindlessly moved forward. Changsub was still looking at her, than the realization that she was gonna missed the open door and collide with the train widened his eyes. He quickly walked up to her. Bumping into her to bring her back to reality seemed to have worked. 

"I'm so sorry" he said and bowed. It took her few seconds but she bowed back and both of them entered the train.

"Nothing" she said. Her voiced cracked. "I'm like 15 minutes way from the station can you pick me up?" "Mhmm" she nods and ended the call.Changsub kept a close eye on her as she was talking on the phone. He watched her sigh, bury herself on the seat and revive with energy just to slump back down again.

When she got up to leave, he almost followed her. He sat and watched. As the train left the station he saw one of her friend has come to pick her up. They hugged and her friend patted her back.

He wondered what her story was.

 

 

 

 

Changsub growled and covered his ears. " Shut up" he muttered but the alarm clock was ruthless. He rolled over to the table side of the bed and reached for the clock. After scrambling for few second , he got it.  Without Opening his eyes he took out the battery and threw it on the floor. Just when his sweet sleep was coming back to him, his phone started ringing. " SERIOUSLY?" he screamed.

 

 

 

 

 

"And HE IS HERE" Eunji announced. Changsub walked up to Eunji and Hyunsik rubbing his sleepy eyes. "Remind me again why I do this to myself when I could be sleeping in my warm bed right now?" changsub asked as three of them stand infront of the gate of a three storey building. Hyunsik grabbed him in a choke hold and ruffle his hair.

" The answer is inside" Hyunsik said

"Let's go" Eunji shouts and pushs both from behind with Changsub still in hyunsik's choke hold.

As soon as they entered the whole room starts buzzing with energy. " The kids are here" they all get hugged and some wet kisses here and there. 

"ahjusshi, how are you feeling today?" Eunji sits besides an elderly who was sitting in his bed. Her hand automatically starts to massage his legs. The elderly puts his loving hand on eunji's head and they start talking.

"Hyunsikah!!" someone calls. " Yes" Hyunsik pats changsub's back and with a smile goes toward the direction his name was being called. 

" Oh ahjumma" Changsub exclaimed and goes toward her. " let me help you with that" he smiles and helps her slip into a warm sweater.

And sure the question earlier was answered. Almost 7 months has passed since the three of them started volunteering at this elderly home. Every weekend from early morning they come here to spend time with the elderly and help around the place. The whole day they talk, clean here and there, help the elderly clean and sometimes sing and dance. They have grown somewhat attached to the place and it's people. 

Changsub looks around. Figuring no one was paying attention to him he slips out the back. He goes inside a dark store room. Changsub's heart jumps out of his chest "What took you so long?" a voice calls out from the dark.  " Ahjumma how many times have I told you not to talk until i have switched on the light" HE switched the light on and puts a hand on his chest as if preventing the heart from falling out. " aish this kid. Such a scared cat. If you act like this no girl will want you" She said moving toward him. " Yah ahjumma i already have lots of girls falling for me I told you already" and made a face at her. " yeah yeah whatever floats your boat. Now give me my goods" She stretched her hand. " First say that you believe me" Changsub smirked. " Stop being a smart " she smacked his head " ok ok." He hands her a small candy. She picks it up like it's a dirty handkerchief and raises an eyebrow. " what is this?" she asks. " It's a candy you asked for" changsub replies smiling.

She starts smacking him again. Changsub burst out laughing. " That's what you get for eating all the candy packet I bought you previously in one day. Now you get one at a time" Changsub showed his tongue. " If you don't want it then i will take it back" he said and tried to take the candy. Ahjumma quickly keeps it in her pocket and says " no it's ok" faking a smile. " Ahjumma even thought you don't care about yourself at least i have to." He said and slide her hand through his hand and walked out of the closet.

Everyone had their favorite ahjumma and ahjusshi in this place and she was changsub's favorite. He liked her like she was her own grandma. They teased , fought, laughed and more then anything loved each other.  Lee Il-hwa was Chngsub's favorite person in the whole world.

 

 

"Dude, come on with us" Hyunsik insisted. " You are joking right" Changsub scoffed Eyeing the motorbike hyunsik was riding with Eunji behind him. She pokes out her tongue to him and huged Hyunsik tightly from behind. Changsub just rolled his eye.

" Anyways if I roam around with you guys I will miss the last train home"

"Alright then we will be off" Changsub gave them and assuring nod.

As soon as hyunsik started the bike, Changsub smacked eunji's helmet causing it to cover her eye. He ran away shouting " That's what you get for being a little brat" Hyunsik laughed at changsub's prank only to be smacked by eunji.

Changsub ran all the way to the station. He sat down on one of the seats trying to catch his breath. After few minds his mind running. Somehow it ended up wondering if that girl will be here today. He shook his head at his silly thought.

He was smiling to himself recollecting all of the memories of today when someone sat besides him. He looked up and THERE SHE WAS.