The Heavy Sky

Past Is Past

                                       A sharp pain on the forehead brought Changsub back to reality. " Stand up"  said the teacher. He heard chuckles around him. Rubbing the part of his forehead where the chalk made an impact, he stood up. " Get Out" the teacher roared. Changsub looked over to Hyunsik.  Hyunsik just  covered his mouth pointed at Changsub and pretended to laugh out loud making fun of Changsub.

" But......" The glare from the teacher stopped Changsub from protesting.

" Anyone else not interested in today's class can leave now" the teacher declared.Changsub walked out with his head down. For a moment there was pin drop silence then a sharp screech. Somebody got up from their chair and followed Changsub. The whole class starred with wide eye. Some in admiration and some in shock. 

As the teacher tried to start his class, Hyunsik pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head. Knowing this was trouble.

                               " CHANGSUB" Naeun called out. Changsub turned back. When he saw her, his jaw drooped. Naeun walked to him and pushed his jaw to close his mouth. " Be careful, Don't want a housefly in there, do we?" she chuckled at her own joke. But Changsub didn't laugh, he didn't even smile. 

" Why did you ditch the class?" He asked making long strides forward. Naeun was having a hard time keeping up. " I wanted to talk" she half walked and half ran to be besides him. Changsub came to a sudden halt. This was what he was avoiding since the previous friday. That previous Friday when he said it was over. They can't be together.

He grabbed her shoulder , so they were face to face. " THIS, it isn't working" He looked straight in her eyes. " You and I will never work"

" Maybe I can change your mind" Naeun looked determined. Frustrated Changsub grabbed his hair. 

                                       "You know. how i know we won't work" Changsub handed Naeun  a can of lemonade which was her her favorite. One of the thing Naeun liked about Changsub was he remembers the little thing. They were now on the stands facing the football ground. Few other students were training. Naeun took the drink and shook her head. With curiosity in her eyes, she watched Changsub sat down beside her.

" Saturday remember when you called, I was returning home". He looked at the football ground no longer capable of looking at her. " I saw this man talking on the phone with his wife" Naeun smiled and followed Changsub's gaze on the field. A beautiful sun was on it's way to set 

" When I imagine my future, like when i will be that man's age. I just..." he paused. Naeun braced herself for a heartbreak. 

" I don't see you there" He finally said it. He looked over to her. fiddling the can in her hand , she only shook her head. " I'm sorry. I kinda already knew it when we started going out. but i thought with time I'll feel something for you but i didn't and I can't keep giving you false hope" Naeun finally made eye contact and opened to say something.

" And don't tell me, you can change my mind cause i told you i gave it a chance already" Changsub blurted leaving Naeun speechless. Then Naeun chuckled. Changusb felt like a heavy stone was lifted of his chest.

" We can still be friends, right?" Naeun extended a hand for shake. Changsub smiled, the smiled which reached his eye.

" SUBIE" Hyunsik called out. He was on the ground right infront of Changsub and Naeun. He placed his hand on his thigh and took some time to breathe. Chansub was now standing. " We've got trouble" Hyunsik waved his hand signaling changsub to come infront of the front gate. Hyunsik ran first shouting " HURRY" without looking back. 

" I NEED TO GO" Changsub said and ran. Naeun watched him sprint across the field. She closed her hand which was left yearning for his touch. Suddenly she felt the sky getting heavier. It was suffocating.

                                                                     

 

                                       "There" Changsub pointed to a crowd that has gather infront of a shop. Hyunsik quickly parked his motorbike on the side. Changsub gently pushed the crowd and made his way to the middle of the crowd.Hyunsik following close by.

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?" Eunji screamed at the girl in front of her. If eyes could kill, the other girl would be dead by now. " I said your leaflet is y" the girl replied. " YAHHH" eunji screamed and grabbed the other girl's hair.

" " Hyunsik cursed under his breath. Both of the boys moved swiftly. Changsub grabbed Eunji from behind and Hyunsik tried and plead Eunji to let go of that poor girl's hair.

 

 

              " That poor girl" Eunji scoffed , and downed a spoonful of icecream. With Eunji in the middle, the three of them walked on the street with cup of icecream. After getting Eunji out of that heated brawl the boys decided it was the best way to cool her off.

"Infront of you even the manliest of man are helpless, poor human being" Changsub said. It earned him a punch on the shoulder from Eunji. " Aish" Changsub winced and rubbed his shoulder. 

" Poor Changsub" Hyunsik immediately blurted. " See, This is what I meant" Changsub retaliated. Hyunsik burst out laughing and started choking.Changsub showed his tongue to Eunji. Eunji gave him an irritated look and then turned toward the coughing Hyunsik. " Are you ok?" She said and patted ,no more like slapped his back very hard.

Changsub spotted something interesting and ran in front.

" Stop it" Hyunsik said. He grabbed Eunji's hand and gave it a peck. Hyunsik then playfully winked at her. Before Eunji could even react Changsub called out for them. " Come here" His voice coverd in laughter. Hyunsik quickly ran towards him and eunji collected herself and followed behind.

" Yah Eunjiyah you fought with that girl for this' Changsub pointed at a leaflet and had a huge grin in his face.

" No wonder , she sitcked her leaflet over yours. It has no presence" Changsub turned to observe the leaflet more. " A good advertisement must have pre......." With a painful expression Changsub bend down to the ground. " Be glad it's was only the knee this time" Eunji Happy about the victory. Hyunsik helped Changsub up on his feet.

" You should control That girl of yours" Changsub mumbled into Hyunsik's ear.

" No way man, I don't wanna be beaten down to plump like you" Hyunsik whispered back. " I feel sorry man. If it wasn't for me you would have never met her and never been in this mess called a relationship with such a violent girl " Changsub limping with his hand around Hyunsik's neck. " Dude you know she is not that bad" Changsub gasp " Love has blinded you my friend" he said and shook his head. 

Hyunsik just smiled at his friend. " I still haven't got like a single call" Eunji who was infront of them walked sideways, growing more anxious by the minute. " The leaftlet was really bad" Changsub looked down and muttered to himself. As soon as he said that Eunji's phone started ringing. The first thing she did was wave her phone infront of changsub instead of answering it. " And you were saying" eunji raised her eyebrow and then answered the call.

" Whatever after few days of living with her they will run away for sure" Changsub looked over at hyunsik for support. But hyunsik just shook his head signaling no.

               " Hello" The voice in the other side of the line was soft. " Hi" Eunji said.

"UMMM I am calling about the wanted roommate thingy" she said. "You read the terms right" Eunji asked. 

" yes I did" she shook her head like eunji could see her. 

" Are you a girl?" Eunji asked.  " Excuse me" she answer. 

" I was just kidding" eunji laughed. the girl on the other side of line didn't know what to do. " I will text you the place and time later so we can meet up ok"

" yeah cool" " BYE then" Eunji happily ended the phone.

On the other side Chorong was smiling too. The talk had gone smoother then she imagined, The girl was nice and friendly which was a relief as she was going to start living with her. Chorong was going to put the phone in her side bag when someone bumped into her. And she dropped her phone on the ground. The street was crowded so she didn't get angry it was her fault she was standing in the middle of it. " I am so sorry" she bowed and quickly turned her attention towards her phone. She picked it up and saw no damage was done. Then it hit her that person she bumped into felt familiar. " No way" she said to her self and ran to catch up with the guy. She ran for a few second before realizing it was use less. The crowd has swallowed him up and it in nearly impossible to find him now. She let out a small sigh. she was so near to him yet she let him slip away. Did he not notice her? Did he really forget about her? All sort of question popped in her mind. She felt the sky get heavy. It was suffocating.