The Pink Symbol.

He May Not Be Him
Please log in to read the full chapter

six.

Hyorin crossed her legs as she made herself comfy at the spot on the floor beside her coffee table; currently she was clicking through the upcoming girl group's dance practice videos that Kyuhyun had taken the time out to send her. At first, she had found herself shocked in disbelief as she read his email address flash across her screen but just quickly, she gulped down the little bit of hope that he was just 'checking on her' and opened it. At nine-thirty at night, he was still in the midst of streaming her video after video. So you're still at work? That makes you a workaholic, Cho Kyuhyun.

At nine-fifty, the emails ceased resulting in a very relieved Hyorin. Without the list growing as she tried to knock out each segment, she could finally catch up without having to feel like she was struggling. Besides, she felt a bit guilty while she was busy relaxing in the comfort of her home, he was still at the office chained to his desk. Suddenly, a tiny plus sign symbol appeared at the bottom of the last video sent. Resembling the signature color of the company she was currently employed with, she decided to click it without any hesitation.

At first the screen remained black as a few sounds beeped simultaneously until her webcam appeared, her no make-up face flashing on the screen. At first she had been confused to what was taking place but just as her mind clicked and was able to piece two and two together, another web-page pulled up with Kyuhyun's face gracing the other side of the screen. Covering her face with a nearby throw pillow, Hyorin bit back a shriek as she caught sight of Kyuhyun's judging glare.

"What is this?" Hyorin hollered in displeasure as she snuggled deeper into the pillow.

"Hyorin, uncover your face and just tell me what you think of the girls." Kyuyhyun replied monotonously as if appearing on a woman's screen was the least proper thing in the world. Just who had given him the permission to do so? "Do you think they'll be ready for the video shoot tomorrow?"

"I haven't really gotten the chance to watch all their practices so my judgment may not matter by this point."

"I'd still some input at least." He was bargaining with her and he wasn't going to let her off easy this time. But then again, when was Kyuhyun ever easy on her? Puffing her cheeks out, she kept her face in the pillow as she thought back on the videos she did get to watch.

"Yes, I think they're ready," she muttered in honesty.

"Please remove the pillow. I can't understand you being muffled and all." 

"I'm doing this for your sake!"

"Miss Kim!" Kyuhyun whined as his patience was beginning to wear thin. It was the first time he had ever had to deal with such shenanigans with one of his employees and this right here was currently itching at him. Just who was she hiding from? It wasn't like he was a boyfriend she had to impress. Discarding the pillow aside, Hyorin pouted in resentment as she adjusted the knot-bun she had twisted her hair into earlier.

"Now, could you repeat your answer?"

"I think they're ready," Hyorin began as she tried her best to keep her eyes from rolling to the back of her head. She felt like a child being scolded by her father and this 'meeting' was painting a really bad mental picture for her.

"Well if that's all you have to say, I'll be seeing you in the morning." Waving a hand up, he pointed to the screen, "see you bright in the morning, Miss Kim."

"Ne, see you in the m—"

"Oh and by the way," squinting her eyes as if she was bound to get hit with the worst of insults, Hyorin somewhat anticipated the next words out of his mouth. Just go ahead and insult me like you alwa—"you look really pretty right now." ​And then the screen blackened, leaving Hyorin to let out her frustrations in solitude.

"If you continue to say such sweet things to me then how am I supposed to continue to hate you?" Shaking her head as if to shake her feelings away, Hyorin started over with reviewing all the videos sent as she made her own personal notes. After two hours, she closed the book and tucked it into her messenger bag as she made bee-line for the bedroom. With all the training over the past few weeks, she had found herself too exhausted to even function. Holding up a rice-cake for a daily midnight snack was becoming a difficult task all within itself as she fought slumber every second. As she lied in bed, drifting off to sleep her phone began to buzz causing her to hit the 'talk' button without reading the caller ID, "yeoboseyo?"

"Miss Kim, I'm sorry for calling so late but I was wondering...how would you feel about being a part of a music video production?"

Bolting upright, Hyorin gripped the phone tighter as she pressed the device up onto her ear. Was this person serious? Was this some kind of joke? Dumbfounded, stomped by the offer period, Hyorin remained silent as she contemplated whether laughing off it off or crying about how they were cutting into her sleep schedule.

"There is a singer who will be signing with our company temporarily and he asked me to specifically draft you for the staff." Her boss went on to explain, filling in the gap of silence that Hyorin was steady creating. "You'll be partnered up with Ms. Kang so you won't go alone. I think you'll do well on this job and plus, it'll be a great learning experience for you since you're still in training."

"But sir, I don't think I'm qualified for this sort of thing. It's extremely different from my other job and though I am training, I would still as if I'm burdening Soy—Ms. Kang."

"She volunteered willingly, Miss Kim. She has the confidence, she has confidence in you and so do I. It's a one-day shooting so it couldn't, right?" Well, she couldn't argue with that. Mr. Gwang had cornered her and there was no way of escaping without causing injuries along the way. Sulking to herself, Hyorin listened as her boss continued, "I'll send a company car to fetch you in the morning. Be prompt and ready around eight."

"Thank you sir, I will." Hanging up, she released an agitated sigh as she fluffed her hair up in frustration. Her current job position was much like her old one but contrasted in bigger ways. Here in Seoul, she was pushed to learn so many new things: one, the process of gaining a new client now to top off that list was assisting a music video shoot. That was one thing Thailand had over Seoul and that was the fact that she had never felt so all over the place, disorganized and not good enough. 

 

 

 


"I feel like I'm being pulled into all different types of directions." Hyorin grumbled into the phone as she waited outside of the apartment complex. "I don't even understand why I'm appointed to the music video staff."

"Do you think that your company has bigger plans for you then you can comprehend?" Bora suggested as she skimmed over the magazine in her hand.

"Meaning?"

"Meaning that they see potential in you." Scoffing into the phone as if it was the easiest mathematic problem in the world, Bora continued, "perhaps plans on debuting you instead."

"As an idol?" Hyorin inquired, her mind fizzling over with the thoughts. "I don't want to debut! I just want to work at my own little desk, in the office I share, all to myself."

"It's just a theory, I mean why else do they keep switching you different tasks? It's like they're trying their best to find a place for you." Rummaging through her purse, Bora pulled out a wrapper of gum as she extracted the candy coated good, "and if you're still wondering, I'd say talk to Kyuhyun. Maybe he knows."

"Arasseo, I'll talk to him as soon I return from this shoot." Suddenly, a car pulled over to the curb as it honked its horn three times, "well my ride is here. I love you, eonni."

"Saranghae." Bora cooed back before the line disconnected. Throwing her phone into her purse, Hyorin moved the strap onto her shoulder as she yanked the car door opened. Sinking down into the car, Hyorin focused on getting comfortable as the car took off down the road. After finding the perfect position, she let out a small moan as the heated seats comforted her sore muscles.

"Hello, Miss Kim." It was his voice that was greeting her, not the one she had been told. Soyu was no where to be found as she glanced around the car. Perhaps she was going to meet up with her at the company and Kyuhyun was just here to help ? "How are you this morning?"

"I'm fine, I guess." She muttered as considerably as she could managed. 

"I hope so, Hyorin," Kyuhyun continued, his gaze steady on her. "I didn't

Please log in to read the full chapter