5

Lost Me

L.Joe was yet again early. He was waiting for Mari to appear. It had been 2 weeks and he hasn’t successfully gotten Mari’s attention.  He was always ignored. This is frustrating! He heard Mari’s white cane.

“Hi,” he blocked her way.

“Please move,” she said.

“No, unless you go out with me,” L.Joe smirked.

“No.”

“Why?” he asked.

“Because you’re not supposed to be seen with me,” she explained. But L.Joe can’t take ‘no’ for an answer. Can’t I live a peaceful life?

Mari pushed him aside then started walking into the room. I got an idea.

“I’m an outsider too,” L.Joe said.

“Why is that, L.Joe sshi?” Mari snapped. She was irritated with every morning.

“I don’t feel loved and this is a secret but I’m secretly gay,” he whispered into Mari’s ear. She felt his breath on her ear and her heart started to beat.

“Wh-why give me your problems?” she asked trying to hide the hint of nervousness in her voice.

“I feel that we could relate,” L.Joe didn’t know what he was talking about.

“Let’s make a deal,” Mari said.

“And that is?”

“I’ll hang out with you, but you have to promise me something.”

“And that is what?”

“To stop this non-sense of yours.” Did she not believe my lie?

“I told you my darkest and deepest secret.”

“Ok, I don’t like to be in someone debt,” she said.

“How about two weeks of friendship?” L.Joe said. I’ll definitely court her by the time. I'll get my Lamborghini.

Mari thought for a second. Should I accept it? I don’t like to be in someone’s debt.

“Fine,” she held out her hand. L.Joe was confused. “Shake it,” Mari demanded.

“I’ll wait for you after school.” The game is on! 

------------

L.Joe was waiting for Mari by the door of her classroom. He didn’t know exactly why he was nervous. He was feeling butterflies in his stomach. Never before he felt it with any girl he went out with.

“L.Joe sshi,” he looked up and there was Mari. How did she know, where I was?     

“Let’s go,” L.Joe grabbed hold of Mari small hands and led her to his car. A gentleman he is, he opened the door for Mari.

“Ladies first,” he motion her to the passenger seat. Mari could feel her cheeks warm up from holding hands with L.Joe.

“Thank you,” she said and took her seat in the car.

“Anytime,” he closed the door and made his way to the driver’s seat. Maybe things won't that bad.