Part 3: You Raise Me Up - Lee Ji Eun

With All My Heart

Finally Monday had come and I was back on the Vocal Class.

 

Well, actually Monday was just over the weekend. But I had enough time to pick a song and practice. I asked Amber and Doojoon to help me picking up a song. I also asked their opinions about my song’s selection. But Doojoon kept telling me to sing Ailee’s song. I told him that I would consider it.

 

As usual, the performer would come to the class before anyone else. I wasn’t excluded so I came to the class earlier. Prof. Kim was already there when I arrived, sitting on his table while reading some papers on his hand. As I walked toward him, I noticed that there were some students on the class, including Henry. He was standing in the front of Prof. Kim. I guessed that he was discussing something with him again.

 

I tilted my head as I hugged my books. I didn’t know why he came to the class but I didn’t think he had a vocal class schedule today. I ignored him then looked back to Prof. Kim. I guessed he had seen me coming since he had diverted his gaze and was looking at me through the top of his glasses.

 

“So you’ve come.” He then lowered his book. “I thought you’ll run away again.”

 

I lowered my books and nodded at him as I stopped in the front of him. I ignored his sarcasm words and just greeted him. “Good morning, Sir.”

 

He smiled and took off his glasses as he lowered his hand. “So… have you prepared yourself?”

 

I nodded. But actually, I still didn’t know what song I would sing today. I still confused about the song selection.

 

“Do you need an accompanier for the music? Or do you want to play the instrument on your own?”

 

“I’ll do it on my own,” I said as I pointed at the guitar.

 

Prof. Kim just nodded. “Help yourself then.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

I went to the stool and put my books on the piano and my bag on the floor. I took the guitar and sat on the stool. I plucked the strings to check on the sound then fixed the string when I found a missed tone. After that, I raised my gaze. But what I had seen was making me to freeze.

 

It seemed that when I was busy strumming the guitar, the students were entering the class. I always knew that Prof. Kim always had a full house for his class. He was everyone’s favorite Professor. But it seemed that the class capacity was more than usual today. And even though I saw Amber, Eunji and Bomi amongst the students, I felt the urge to run away again. I felt my heart was beating so fast because of fear and nervous.

 

I dropped my gaze, thinking what I should do. I knew the class was cool because of the air conditioner but I felt my hands frozen and my body trembling. My mind suddenly became blank and spinning afterward. I felt like I wanted to faint.

 

But then… a pat on my shoulder brought me back to my sense. I gasped and looked around then I saw Henry who already stood in the front of me, covering my vision of the full classroom.

 

“What’s the song?”

 

“Huh?” I didn’t understand his question.

 

“Your song.”

 

Since it was a sudden question for me and I didn’t prepare myself for it, I quickly picked random song that I had in my mind. “You Raise Me Up?” I said it though I was feeling unsure.

 

He smiled as if he was telling me that I had picked a good song and nodded. “Ah, good song. I understand.” He then turned to Prof. Kim. “Sonsaengnim, can I become her accompanier?”

 

What?

 

Prof. Kim looked at him then to me for a few moments then back at him again. “Sure.”

 

He turned back at me and smiled again. “If you’re feeling afraid or discourage, just keep your focus on me while singing,” he said then went to the piano.

 

But somehow what he had said was reminding me to what Doojoon had said to me last Friday. I didn’t know how he could find out about it but somehow my fear was lessened because of him.

 

I saw him sitting on the piano and put his papers on the top. He then raised his gaze to me and smiled. I swore that my heart skipped a beat when he smiled. He looked back to the piano keys and started to play the intro. Then, when he looked back at me, I felt obligated to sing.

 

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary
When troubles come and my heart burdened be
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence
Until you come and sit awhile with me

 

Then he made a gesture with his head as if he wanted me to start playing my guitar. So I played the guitar chords for the chorus.

 

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up, to more than I can be

 

And the next thing that I did was plucking my guitar and playing it along, accompanying his piano.

 

There is no life - no life without its hunger;
Each restless heart beats so imperfectly;
But when you come and I am filled with wonder,
Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity

 

Somehow I felt that his play and mine were fit together. It created good harmony without us practicing beforehand. It is so good, I smiled.


You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up, to more than I can be

 

I started strumming my guitar as he put more strength on his play.


You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up, to more than I can be

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders
You raise me up, to more than I can be

You raise me up, to more than I can be

 

I was too engulfed with the song until I managed to reach the higher note on the end of the song. And the song ended by it.

 

I exhaled softly to release the tension and raised my gaze on him. Henry was smiling as if he was satisfied with my performance. And I thought I could see him mouthing the word, ‘Nice’. I just smiled to hear that then turned my gaze around and I froze as I saw that every eye on the class was fixing on me.

 

Gosh, I forget that I’m in the middle of my class assignment.

 

 

Note:

I hope you enjoy the fic. Subscribe and comment will good.

The song that Ji Eun sang is Lena Park's 'You Raise Me Up' in English Version. She also has Japanese Version of the song for the Anime 'Romeo x Juliet' that called 'Inori - You Raise Me Up-'. The song is beautiful and I always got goosebumps whenever I hear the song.