003

The Man Who Waits

Lee Soonkyu

Sunny groans and rolls around her bed. The clock on her wall reads 5:30pm. She was so tired from yesterday's practise and she was thankful for the break. Seohyun made lunch earlier in the afternoon for the girls who were stayed at the dorms.

 

Tiffany and Jessica walked into the room to find her rolling around and not getting ready for the date. The girls had no secrets between each other - the nine of them would tell each other who they were going out with and what they were doing. So all eight girls knew Sunny had a date with Sungmin.

 

"Yah! You're still in bed?" Tiffany said with a look of horror.

 

"Don't you need to leave at 7pm?" Jessica asked.

 

Sunny groaned louder this time. The thought of meeting Sungmin in another hour and a half sends butterflies to her stomach. She felt like a little girl going for a date with her crush again. And it wasn't really a 'date' date. It was more like friends hanging out.

 

"We are just hanging out. I don't need to be dressed like I'm going for a red carpet ceremony." Sunny hugged her bloster.

 

Tiffany pulled Sunny off her bed and started pushing her into the bathroom. It was so obvious that it was a date. And she can't let time slip away like this. She had to do something for Sunny - they were too blinded by the company dating rules to see that Sungmin and her were made for each other.

 

 

Lee Sungmin

"Yah, Sungmin-hyung!" Kyuhyun knocked against the bathroom door. He desperately needed the toilet. "Hurry up!"

 

"I'll be out soon!" Sungmin shouted from inside. He was busy deciding how he should style his hair.

 

"You said that 5 mins ago, hyung!" Kyuhyun argued.

 

Sungmin sighed and opened the door. "I'll be-" 

 

Almost immediately, Kyuhyun pulled him out and entered the bathroom and locked the door. "Thanks hyung."

 

Sungmin rolled his eyes and went into his bedroom and started deciding what he should wear for the night. He knew Sunny well enough to know that she wouldn't be dolling up too much and since they were idols, they needed to be discreet about what they were doing together. It would be too scandalous to see the two of them together by paparazzis. In the end, he decided to go with a long sleeve shirt and jeans. Since it was around mid-decemeber, it would be really cold at night. He would top it off with a coat.

 

By the time he was done, it was already 6:30pm. He saw Donghae and Eunhyuk sitting on the couch watching television.

 

"I'm going out!" he said.

 

Donghae and Eunhyuk gave Sungmin a thumbs-up and wished him luck.

 

 

Lee Sungmin & Lee Soonkyu

Sungmin was in the lift, on the way up to the level that Girls' Generation's dorm was on. He felt so nervous and worried about what they were going do for the night. He hasn't planned much yet. And he didn't not even bring flowers for her. He thought of buying her a bouquet but he was afraid that she might think otherwise. They were just friends, it felt weird to buy her flowers when this wasn't an official date was a couple.

 

We're just friends, hanging out. Sungmin convinced himself, or mostly his heart.

 

He walked towards the apartment and pressed the doorbell. It took awhile before Sooyoung opened the door.

 

"Hey Sooyoung!" Sungmin smiled and waved. He looked behind the taller girl but see no sight of Sunny. "Sunny's... home right?"

 

"Are you going to confessed to her today?" Sooyoung asked softly.

 

Sungmin turned pink. He hadn't thought of that question but he wasn't sure of his mouth either. He smiled shyly back at Sooyoung but gave no reply. Sooyoung laughed, she was just teasing him.

 

"What's so funny?" Sunny walked out, and took a pair of heels that weren't that tall. She was wearing a plain white blouse and a pair of jeans. She was also wearing a simple long necklace that stopped around her chest area, making her whole outfit looked more sophisticated.

 

Sooyoung shook her head and stood a step back, making way for Sunny. Tiffany and Jessica appeared and waved goodbye to the two of them.

 

"Take care of Sunny, Sungmin oppa!" Tiffany said.

 

"Have fun, Sunny-yah! Sungmin oppa, you too." Jessica waved.

 

Both Sungmin and Sunny smiled and waved goodbye. They took the lift down to the carpark where Sungmin has parked his car. Sunny was the first one who broke the silence.

 

"What's our plan for tonight, oppa?"

 

Oppa. She just called him "Oppa."

 

Sungmin laughed nervously. He told her anywhere she wanted to go. But Sunny was insistent on that he name a place. Sungmin thought hard for a moment.

 

"Fried chicken?"

 

 

Sungmin and Sunny ended up taking away fried chicken  and beer and drove to a place where there isn't a huge crowd of people. Well... in the end, they headed back to their company because everywhere was crowded on a friday night.

 

"Should we get more people to come?" Sunny laughed when entering the building. There weren't much staffs around since it was a holiday for the company. They went to one of the practise and started eating.

 

"I can't believe we came back here on a friday night." Sunny sighed, biting a drumstick.

 

"I'm sorry, Sunny-ah" Sungmin felt guilty, They were both dress decently for a good date but they forgot that they had to stay undercover since they were idols. It wasn't easy leading an idol life.

 

"I was just kidding, Oppa. Eat." Sunny smiled.

 

Both Sunny and Sungmin talked as if they hadn't meet in years. They sort of didn't have the time to catch up on each other's life since they were both so busy. They talked about the good times, the bad times and the normal times. It didn't felt like they were awkward or anything. They just smiled and laughed at each other. Sungmin moved closer towards Sunny and neither of them minded or cared.

 

They were living in the moment.

 

"I have missed you so much, Sunny-yah." Sungmin confessed. "You always looked so distanced when everyone was here."

 

"Oppa..." Sunny looked at him, "That's... because... I didn't want you to feel burdened."

 

Sungmin shooked his head and laughed, "No, you don't burden me. You're like a part of me. Whenever I'm with you, I feel like I'm talking to someone who understands me."

 

Sunny didn't reply. She didn't know what to say. It felt like Sungmin was trying to tell her something but she wasn't sure what. Her heart was fluttering. However, a part of her knew this was wrong.

 

"Sunny, why aren't you saying anything?"

 

Sunny laughed nervously, "Oppa, you're drunk."

 

"If I was drunk, I would have kissed you right away."

 

The room was silent.

 

"Sungmin-oppa..."

 

"Sunny, I like you. No I love you, you know. I think about you all day."

 

Sungmin inched closer to Sunny who was sitted frozen.

 

"You're on my mind every. single. day." Sungmin growled. He felt a little tipsy, probably because of the beer. But he need to get it off his chest. Hearing no reply from Sunny, he continued.

 

"I'm willing to wait. To wait for you to say yes. Even if you don't love me, I'll wait because I know it will be worth it. I want to spend the rest of my life with you and I am willing to wait for that day to come. For you to say you love me."

 

Sunny never felt so overewhelmed before. If she was dreaming, she wouldn't want to wake up right now. She knew she wasn't.

 

"I love you too."

 

She said it.

 

Sungmin heard her.

 

And they kissed.