The Hairclip

A Plethora of Drabbles

 

“Jiyong~ Yoona’s here to play again!”

Heavy footsteps filled with excitement were heard as an 8-year-old Jiyong made his way downstairs and into the living room where a 6-year-old Yoona was waiting. Jiyong and Yoona had been next-door neighbors for the past six months and ever since their first encounter, the two little kids had been playing with each other everyday. Both of their faces lit up as soon as they saw each other. Jiyong took hold of Yoona’s hand and then sprinted out the back door that led to their grassy backyard.

“What should we do today, Jiyong?” Yoona asked with a tinge of anticipation in her voice.

“We can play on the– What’s that on your head?" Jiyong pointed at the strawberry hairclip Yoona was wearing.

“Oh! This?” Yoona paused has she touched the hairclip. A warm smile lightens her small face. “It’s a hairclip. Do you like it? It’s my favorite!” Joyfully, Yoona exclaims her love for the strawberry clip.

“Can I touch it?” Jiyong asked, a bit too fascinated with the tiny clip.

Yoona, although hesitant at first, had allowed Jiyong to take it. With worried eyes, Yoona looked at Jiyong as he started to play with the hairclip haphazardly. Growing agitated by every passing second, Yoona focuses on the clouds above her until a snap and a small gasp had sliced through the silence.

“What did you do?” Yoona shrieked at Jiyong as she took the broken clip from him.

“I-I didn’t mean to…” Jiyong said, afraid and confused at Yoona’s outburst.

It wasn’t until Yoona had started to wail that Jiyong became worried. “L-Look, I’ll buy you a new one.” Jiyong takes the clip from Yoona. “It’s only a clip. I’m sure I can find the exact same one.” Recklessly, Jiyong drops the hairclip.

Yoona watches the clip fall onto the grass. Without a thought, she pushes Jiyong as hard as she could, causing him to fall. Both cry and cry until Jiyong’s dad comes to the rescue. As soon as Jiyong sees his dad, he runs up to him, crying as he does so.

“Yoona pushed me down on purpose!” He whined.

Hearing this, Yoona grabs the broken hairclip and tackles Jiyong down. Baffled, Jiyong’s dad quickly lifts Yoona up and off of Jiyong. It was the first time the two had ever fought, so Jiyong’s dad didn’t quite know what to make of the situation until he notices the clip in Yoona’s hand.

Sighing, “Did Jiyong do something to that clip of yours?” Jiyong’s dad asked.

Yoona nods, “He broke it and threw it on the ground-“

“I said I’d get her a new one!” Jiyong exclaims. “And plus, it’s only a hairclip.” He mutters.

“It’s not just a hairclip! It’s a special hairclip…” Yoona uttered before crying once again.

Jiyong snorted, “What makes it so special, huh?”

“My mom gave it to me!” Yoona said hastily.

Understanding the situation, Jiyong’s dad sighs. “And? You can just ask your mom to get you a new one!” Jiyong refutes. Yoona cries even more. Before things could get any worse, Jiyong’s dad led his stubborn son away from Yoona.

“Jiyong~ you have to apologize to Yoona for hurting her feelings.” Jiyong’s dad said as he looked at Jiyong in the eyes.

“B-But it was only a hairclip… I don’t get why she has to overreact.” Jiyong muttered has he avoided his dad’s stare.

Sighing, “Her mom gave that to her-“ Jiyong cuts his dad off, “Her mom can just buy her a new one!”

Sighing once again at his son’s stubbornness, “Yoona can’t ask her mom to buy her a new one. You see, Yoona does not know where her mom is… And that hairclip could possibly be the only thing that Yoona got from her mom.” Jiyong’s dad said, making sure Jiyong understood why Yoona had acted in such a way.

Then, realization dawned on Jiyong. He finally knew why he had never seen Yoona’s mom. Even after being tackled by a six-year-old girl, Jiyong kind of felt sad for Yoona for not having a mom. Though, one thing pestered him… Where was Yoona’s mom?

Looking up at his dad, Jiyong asks, “Where is Yoona’s mom?”

“I don’t know… Now, are you going to apologize to Yoona?”

Mustering up his courage, Jiyong took the initiative and walked towards the still crying Yoona. “I’m sorry.” He says before hugging her. 

 


So this is probably more than just a drabble... Anyway, that was another gyoon story.

The next drabble will feature 4 people from soshibang.