First Taste

Sugar, We're Going Down

“Sleep well,” I whispered to the sleeping angel and I tucked her in her bed. “Goodnight sweetheart,”

I left the bedroom as quietly as I could and flicked the light off. Jeez, it was a long day and my muscles were telling me to rest, so I brushed my teeth and headed straight for my bed. But even though my body was worn out, my mind didn’t seem to shut up.

I began thinking about my life; thinking about the past and what it would have been like if things had been differently. I mean, life has treated me well. I have good fortune and I’m really happy. Lady luck seems to be on my side and there is nothing in the world that can bring me down. My qualifications in college and University are outstanding and I love my job.

So why does it feel like something is missing?

I guess I miss having the sense of adventure; the urge to go out and explore new places like I used to when I was in college. I mean being a Nanny isn’t boring, I just feel kind of lonely. The family I work treat me well, so they can’t be the problem. I’ve been in England for far too long – maybe it’s time for a change.

I snuggled deeper into my bed to try and get myself comfortable, but then I heard my phone vibrating.

Beep Beep.

Flipping of the bedside light, I was ready to attack the person at the other end for disturbing my rest. Then I saw the caller ID and nearly had a heart attack.

“Hello?”

“Oh my! Hello? Donnie!”

I giggled. “Yes Sammi, it is I. How are you?”

Sammi has been my best friend since we were 13 and I adore the girl to bits. Even though I love her; she has been a massive pain. She left suddenly after finishing college without telling anyone where she was going and changed her number. It wasn’t until half a year later I got a call from her, telling me she was in Berlin teaching English and planning on moving to her new flat in South Korea.

“I’m fine, but I miss you.”

“I miss you too Sammi, I wish you didn’t leave me like that.”

“I know Donnie, but I had to get away.”

I nodded. Then realised she couldn’t see me through the phone.

“So, how are you? Are the family nice to you?”

I smiled, thinking about how easily it was to put the children to bed. “Of course, like sweet angels. The parents are kind and they pay me well, so yeah.”

“Do you like it?”

 “I think something needs to change.” I sighed.

Sammi hummed in agreement. “What like? Like working for a new family or something?”

“Maybe,” I thought aloud.

“I think you need to get out of England.” Sammi blurted out.

“What?!”

“No, seriously! Remember how you used to tell me how Asians are desperate for Western Nannies?”

“That was only a rumour…”

“But it’s true! There are lots of adverts over Seoul; why don’t you come live with me?!”

I couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “As much as I would love to, I can’t! I can’t leave Mum and Dad behind.”

“Then go the U.S.”

“What?”

“Yeah!” Sammi almost screamed. “Go to New York or something. A rich state with business families. The chavs in England don’t deserve your help – they can look after their own bratty children!”

“Not all of them are chavs,” I scoffed.

“Yeah, not all of them.”

“Oh shut up!”

I smiled as I heard laughter down the phone.

“But really,” Sammi stated after her fit of laughter. “You can’t stay there forever. You need to go and explore places!”

 “But how do I do that?”

“Talk to the family,” Sammi suggested. “And if they are nice, then they’ll support you! And talk to your real family too – and research too!”

“Of course I’ll research…”

“Yeah! You don’t want to do a ‘Sammi’!”

I laughed, “I won’t, don’t worry.”

“Sorry, but I’ve got to go now,” Sammi said sulkily. “I have a late class in five minutes and you need your beauty sleep!”

“Sure sure,” I chuckled. “Don’t forget to email me!”

“I do email you! I just wanted to hear your voice this time…”

“Awl Sammi! Now go! You’ll be late!”

“Fine, speak soon! I love you!”

“I love you too, Sammi.”

Listening to the dial tone for an extra bit longer, I thought about what Sammi had told me. Maybe it was time to do something different. 

~*~

“No, that’s fine. We completely understand.”

I could only nod as the parents of the family agreed with every word I had said. About wanting a change, to explore the world more and experience new things.

“I’m sorry…” I began to explain but the mother cut me off.

“It’s fine my dear,” she cried, waving her hands. “We were young once too, you know! You need to go off after you’ve worked so hard!”

I smiled gratefully. This is what lots of people have told me and it wasn’t until now that I realised they were probably right.

The father of the family shifted uncomfortably in his chair. “Do you have anywhere in mind where you would like to go?”

South Korea, South Korea, South Korea!

“No sir,” I answered quietly, trying not to blurt out what was spinning around in my head.

The father cleared his throat and leaned forward in his posh leather chair.

“See, the thing is Amelia…”

Uh oh. This is going to be bad.

“I have a friend out in Canada. His is a well-known businessman, but he has to look after two twin boys after his girlfriend left him 4 years ago…”

 Poor guy, I thought, Twin boys can be tough!

“He asked me to look out for a nanny for him in England, because nannies in Canada move to the States to find work…”

I nodded again, I mean, I had nothing else to say.

“How would you feel working for him?”

WHAT.

It was like I had just been hit in the stomach.

“For real?!”

“Of course!” the Father cried. “I think you’d fit the role perfectly!”

I could feel myself blush and I looked away.

“So, would you?” he asked eyebrows raised.

Without any hesitation, I replied. “Of course I will sir!”

Father chuckled and Mother clapped her hands happily. “Great!” she cried and stood up. “I’ll go give Kris a call!”

Kris?

~*~

so erm... what do you guys think??