Baby Don't Cry

Mermaid's Tears

The little mermaid firmly gripped onto the knife as she stood by the prince’s bedside.  Prince Sehun was sleeping soundly and the sound of his breaths filled the quiet room.  The way he inhaled and exhaled in his sleep was as calm as the ocean waves.  His flawless milky white skin glowed in the moonlight and she couldn’t help but stare at his perfection.

 

She was told that she could only turn back into a mermaid in exchange for the prince’s life.  Letting his blood drip on her feet after killing him would turn her back into a mermaid.  Otherwise, she would turn into sea foams when the sun rises.

 

She wasn't sure if she could do this.  It seemed so cruel and unfair.  Is this truly the only way? There has to be another way, she thought to herself.

 

She leaned closer to the prince and caressed his face with her innocent hands.  Her delicate human fingers ran along the scar on his right cheek.  Everything about him was so perfect; even God perfectly crafted his scar on his flawless face.  

 

Just one last touch.  

 

All of the sudden, she could feel all emotion she was holding inside.  Hot tears began to fall down her soft and delicate cheeks.  One drop. Two drops.  The little mermaid tasted saltiness of her tears and yearned to go back.  Why was this happening to her, she did not know.  

 

Soon, she was pouring next to the sleeping prince.  She couldn’t do this.  Not like this.  She decided not to kill him and turn into sea foams by the morning instead.  

 

When she was about to go, a tight grip wrapped around her wrist.  

 

“Baby don’t cry.” The prince murmured to her.

 

Shocked by the fact that he woke up, she froze in front of him.  She would explain why she was there and tell him a million things but she couldn’t for she was mute.  

 

“Why are you here at this time?” He asked curiously as he sat up on his bed.

 

I came here to kill you so I can turn back into a mermaid.

 

Of course he knew she couldn’t answer him but he could almost tell why she was here then he saw her holding a knife in her small hands.  

 

I-I’m so sorry.  Please forgive me.  I’ll leave now and just turn into sea foams by the morning.  

 

“The tale was right...mermaids have to kill the man they fell in love with by dawn in order to turn into mermaids again.” He chuckled a little and sat up on his bed.  

 

So you knew about the tale? But how can I kill you? I love you so much.

 

“You know what? You should... just kill me.”  He actually thought about this for a while.  Sehun knew that this day would come one day after his father told him to marry another woman.  In the end, he was responsible for marrying another woman and making the mermaid suffer.

 

You can’t let me do that. No, I can’t do that.

 

“Baby I love you; I’m willing to give you my life.  I can’t let you turn into sea foams by the morning.” He took her hands that held the cursed knife and put it against his chest.

 

Sehun, I rather turn into sea foams.  How can I possibly kill the man I love?

 

“Please don’t hesitate.  Just take my life right now.”  Tears began to fall from her eyes once again.  

 

I can’t do this; how am I supposed to kill you when I love you so much?

 

“Baby don’t cry. Please, don’t cry.” The prince wiped the mermaid’s salty tears with his hands.

 

How am I supposed to stop crying if you want me to kill you?

 

Another fifteen minutes of crying silently passed the night.  

 

“Think about your family and how worried they are about you.” Sehun broke the silence.  He took her hands that held the knife and place them on his chest once again.  

 

“Slay me and let my blood drip on your feet.”

 

The mermaid stood there silently, her hands holding the knife gently pressed against his chest.  The two stayed there in this exact position for a while as things began to process in the mermaid’s head.  

 

This is it.  It’s now or never.

 

“Please, just take my life.”

 

The mermaid gathered all her strength and stabbed his chest.  This has to be right, he even offered his life.  She couldn’t bear to look at her lover struggling not to scream under her stab.  For him to die faster and stop struggling, she slayed his neck.  Like the tale, she let his blood drip down on her feet.  

 

I’ve done it.

 

Before leaving, she kissed his forehead.   

 

Thank you.

 

She sat by the shore, her feet colored in crimson red.  It was so cruel how she killed her lover for her own benefit.  Strange melancholy feeling started taking over her body.

 

She waited for the sun to rise, as saw her feet slowly turning into fins.  Few minutes later, lower half her body fully transformed and she was a full mermaid now.  She let her fins touch the sea water. Oh how strange it felt.  

 

She let her body soak in the seawater, reminding herself that she wasn’t human anymore.  She swam towards the rising sun, for it will lead her home.

 

For rest of her life, she suffered from recalling the memory of killing the man she loved.  She didn’t love anyone when she went back; she couldn’t love anyone.  All she did was regret killing the prince and wished she could have turned into sea foams instead.  For the world was cruel, she had to continue living on as a mute mermaid.  

 

 


Thank you so much for reading ^_^

This is my spin off version of the little mermaid inspired by baby don't cry.  It was originally written for my english project (shhh my teacher doesn't know that it's a fic) so Sehun wasn't part of the original piece.  I chose Sehun because he's my bias and I think he fits the pincy position well. le'ts hope that my english teacher doesn't find this.