Part II

The Quest of Sela

                                                

They rested at the foot of the Great Fall of Consililua, the fall going up for several hundred meters.

From here on, they had to climb up on a path, an old trading route, to get to a valley higher up, which ran parallel to the river since the river's valley was too steep and dangerous to travel. They had officially entered the Werewolves Empire.

The fall had created a natural pool where Junsu, Yoochun and Yunho decided to take a bath before the sun sets. They tried to persuade JaeJoong but the latter shook his head and took a seat on the rock, which oversaw everything. Junsu brought Yoochun around to try to throw JaeJoong into the pool, but JaeJoong overheard them and sent them a death glare, which silenced the two. Grumbling, Yoochun and Junsu went to the edge of the water and begun stripping. Yunho laughed heartily at their scene and JaeJoong couldn't stop from smirking slightly.

In the water, Yunho took some laps whereas Junsu and Yoochun bantered with each other. When Yunho came closer to JaeJoong's rock, he shouted to him.

“Come on, JaeJoong, the water is awesome! It's not as cold as it looks like!”

“Yeah,” Yoochun yelled affirmative. “Come down here, you spoilsport!” Junsu used this inattentive moment and pushed Yoochun's head underwater. JaeJoong chuckled but right then he noticed something out of his eye's corner. His head snapped back and his body stood but then it was already too late, he could only scream.

“Yunho!”

Yunho glanced up to him when an arrow flew aimed right at Yunho's throat. Helplessly JaeJoong stared as it came down, his knuckles gone white as he griped his sword.

What JaeJoong didn't account for was Junsu, who all of the sudden went into motion, having seen JaeJoong's look, and jumped at Yunho, pushing him onto the side and into the water. This left Junsu out in the open and the arrow hit him square at the back. As soon as JaeJoong noticed that the immediate danger was over his head snapped back and he saw the fleeting shadow of a figure. Beneath him Yoochun growled and swam fast to the other shore, already turning into his true form.

JaeJoong was torn between helping Yunho getting Junsu out of the water and running after Yoochun, but he trusted Yunho to deal with Junsu for a while and made a running jump to cross over to the other side of the river.

JaeJoong followed the sound of Yoochun breaking through the woods but did so cautiously. After all, he had missed most likely a demon, as he had just crossed the river and was in the Demon's Empire now, who knows what, who and how many waited for them here.

He couldn't be believe how much he had let his guard down to let a Demon sneak up and get a chance to shot Yunho.

The prince, he reminded himself.

He just hoped that Yoochun wasn't blinded by his rage and drew more of the unwanted creatures if there weren't several who were waiting for them.

As he got closer to Yoochun and scanned the area, his worries had been in vain - Yoochun had the Demon pinned under his claws and no other living soul was seen except the three of them, as far as JaeJoong could fathom.

Taking in the Demons appearance, JaeJoong figured him to be in his Teens still, which made things easier, as an adult would have been able to use his abilities easily. He held his sword firm in his grip as he got closer to his friend. He was surprised at Yoochun's show of control. So far, he only held the Demon, anger in his eyes, yes, but he also looked at JaeJoong. JaeJoong slowly closed in, letting his gaze wander from Yoochun to the Demon. He decided to use the moment.

“How come you attack a bunch of travelers, who have done nothing to you or your people but rested and refreshed themselves?” JaeJoong decided to keep Yunho's identity from them for now.

Yoochun growled once more and let his claws sink into the Demon's flesh a bit more. The latter winced slightly but still looked defiant. Feeling unsatisfied, Yoochun gripped the Demon harder once more and nuzzled him.

“I think my friend here is about ready to eat you if you don't talk,” JaeJoong stated coldly.

The Demon's eyes widened and he began to splutter.

“We were told to shoot everybody who comes close to the border.”

“Although we didn't display any malicious actions or intentions,” JaeJoong asked coldly.
The Demon hesitated but after all nodded affirmative.

“And who told you to shoot everyone?” JaeJoong continued.

As no reply came, JaeJoong decided to keep going on. “Let me guess- for you to obey it has to be some higher up. Like... Mee So Lan, after all he is so nice to you guys that you would do anything to keep him happy, right?” JaeJoong spotted. He knew his action would probably rile the demon up but would also make him careless at the same time. He was right.

“Don't speak about him like you know him! You filthy Vampires are just envious for us having such a great leader! Instead, you have such low lives as this Prince you are accompanying, who can't even prote-”

Yoochun had angrily closed his fangs around the Demon's throat and ripped it out.

JaeJoong didn't care about the blood, which covered his clothes now lightly. He was deep in thoughts. So the Demon knew who he wanted to assassin and didn't act randomly. But the order in itself also meant one thing: Mee So Lan was preparing himself to cross Dathan and therefore the coast had to be clear- no witnesses should tell about the army waiting to take over the Empire. He glanced back to Yoochun as he remembered how the assassination attempt went.

“That's enough Yoochun, he won't hurt anyone anymore. Let's go back and look after Junsu.”

Immediately Yoochun stopped and darted off, JaeJoong following.
 


When they returned, Yunho had already brought Junsu to the shore. The injured Elf laid on his front, groaning slightly. Yunho had taken some cloth out of the Elf's bag and also gathered some herbs as Junsu requested him to.

“Junsu!” Yoochun boomed as soon as the two of them were at sight, jumping over the river and landing graciously only to be on the move again. He went down next to Junsu, on the opposite side of Yunho. Taking Junsu's hand, he crouched down to whisper into his beloved one's ear, forehead sinking into Junsu's hair.

As JaeJoong came closer, Yunho filled him in.

“The wound is not too deep. Due to the angle it somewhat tore some tissue but it’s nothing serious. He even has enough energy to dictate me around.” Yunho joked lightly while he tended Junsu’s wound.

JaeJoong was painfully aware how Yunho tried to cheer up the situation, however, JaeJoong couldn't find anything in himself but remorse for letting down his guard.
Yunho took in the grim face and sighed. With a last glance to the couple, Yunho led JaeJoong away to give them some privacy.

“What did you find out?”

“It was a Demon, but I think that was obvious.”

Yunho nodded. Seeing the blood on JaeJoong and Yoochun he also knew how it had been dealt with.

“Also, there has been an order that permitted the Demons to shoot everything near the border.”

This startled Yunho and he came to the same conclusion as JaeJoong.

“So we have to get on the move again, away from Dathan.”

JaeJoong nodded as he watched the forest surrounding them.

“You know, it wasn't your fault.”

JaeJoong frowned. “Whatever.” He dismissed Yunho’s statement and turned to prepare for their departure when he felt the Prince's grip on his arm.

Don't whatever me! You listen to me, Kim JaeJoong. I don't know why you feel like you have to carry the world on your shoulders and be this pensive, depressed, stuck-up- everything- is-my-fault knight but it is not true!” JaeJoong's eyes glanced over as he remembered where he had heard similar accusations before.

“You finished, my Prince?” JaeJoong spat. Yunho was taken aback.

“I don't know why you overlook it, but it is my task to look over you! You are the Prince, the future of our people; it's my mission, my life, to protect you! I failed you once and now again and I won't do it again.

“It may be your life but I can't deal with somebody who just throws away his life live with just the shell of himself because he thinks that this will make somebody happy- because it doesn't, at least not me. And I thought we were over this Knight-Prince bull but apparently we are not.

“I don't know whether you have noticed, but you did a god damn better job as a bodyguard then my current one. And only because you lost one fight doesn't mean you are an inferior.
You can't protect everybody, you can't be everywhere at the same time! We could have been more careful too and I have to thank Junsu for my life, but he wouldn't have gotten to me in time if it wasn't for you. So get your together!”

JaeJoong glared some more at him, only to look to the side. Yunho didn't know whether the sheen in JaeJoong's eyes were tears but he couldn't deal with it now, he was about to snap completely and he wanted to spare JaeJoong this experience. He ran a hand over his face.

“Ok, I’ll prepare everything and give you a moment, alright? When you feel ready, come back.” Yunho ordered. JaeJoong gave him an affirmative nod.

With that he walked past JaeJoong towards the camp, leaving JaeJoong gazing over the river.

 

 


The arrow had a silver arrowhead and been dipped into dead man's blood – the perfect weapon against Vampires and Werewolves. Junsu was lucky since Elves were immune to it. The blood might cause a slight infection but with Junsu being a healer, he knew how to prevent that.

JaeJoong came back to the camp shortly after Yunho, working automatically. Yoochun threw a worried glance between Yunho and JaeJoong but was occupied with taking care of Junsu. He had explained the situation to the Elf when the Vampires had left them alone for a while and already packed some of their things.

They mounted on their horses and left Dathan behind them, going to the ancient path towards up the mountain. They moved slowly as Junsu had to be cautious because of his wound. Before their departure, Junsu had suggested to leave the group as he would slow them down but his request was obviously disregarded. They moved all day until it became dark seeing it was not wise to go up on the mountain trail at dark as it would be too dangerous, they sat up camp. They were also exhausted and moreover, Junsu needed to rest and heal.

Yunho took the first watch. JaeJoong wanted to protest at first but he at once remembered his argument with Yunho and decided to let him keep this victory. Exhausted, sleep didn't wait long on him. The last thing he saw was an Elf openly trying to snuggle into the wolf's fur.

 

 

 

 


They needed most of the next day to climb the path. In between, JaeJoong would occasionally glance over at the boarder river and the Empire beyond it. The forest did stretch for a while but then it would grow light until nothing was left but green grass, which turned into dry heaves of grass and eventually a stone desert was taking over.

JaeJoong pitied the Demons for the lack of color in their country but misfortune was the price for abusing the nature and magic of the country they lived in- now the country also pulled at the magical core of its inhabitants.

They needed another four days to travel through the high plain to get to Gibeon, a small town at the foot of Sela. They traveled in silence, Yoochun would fill in once in a while about something interesting about the plains but they also discussed their further journey.
They still held unto their plan of disguising themselves as delegates whose mission it was to strengthen the bonds between their countries.

Yoochun and JaeJoong had tried to wash their clothes to get rid of the stench of the Demon blood, as the fine nose of the Werewolves would detect it at once and lead to uncomfortable questions.

In the end, they had to burn them and wear the spare clothes Yunho had packed. When they had taken rest in the evening, Junsu, used to sewing close wounds, sew their tunics so that it wouldn't be too loose on them.

Yoochun had taken JaeJoong aside one morning and inquired about his discussion with Yunho but also told him how he was taken now. JaeJoong was grateful that the couple displayed it only at night when they cuddled or when they thought nobody was looking.


When they entered Gibeon, they found a local inn and spoke with the owner. The owner had squinted at their story of collecting herbs and visiting the Temple to show of one of the Empires sights. He even sniffed the air and they all held their breath. Junsu’s wound had healed so far under his watchful eye of collecting herbs and the likes and Yoochun had declared yesterday that he couldn't smell the wound any longer but maybe he became used to it?

Luckily the owner dismissed them, promising for the right amount of money to look after their four horses for the next two, maybe three days it would take to climb the mountain and back.

Yunho urged them to go immediately and not to rest for another night; the attack as well as the made conclusions made him uneasy and JaeJoong agreed silently. Therefore after some cleaning up as well as filling up their supplies, they began their hike.

They most likely would make it to the peak today and down to the Temple the next day, as well as the climb up back.

The tension between JaeJoong and Yunho was palpable. Hence, Junsu decided to take the lead together with JaeJoong and Yoochun to walk with Yunho.

They walked in silence until Yoochun could not stand the tension any longer.

“Do you know how I got to know JaeJoong?" Without waiting for an answer he continued. "I was intrigued by such a dutiful knight who had just come back after months of living with Demons as an undercover. So the next morning I looked for him, asking him for a train fight. To this day I don't know whether he fought with full power or not but I admire the fact that his confidence draws people’s attention.”

“I remember the fight. I was there,” Yunho admitted after a pause.

Yoochun gawked at his friend’s response.

“How- I didn't notice you!”

Yunho chuckled as he reminisced.

“I wanted to take a look myself and see how he fared and if he needed any help. The fight was already full on and the crowd quite large so nothing to get worked up about, Yoochun. It was like the old times when I would watch him during the tournaments. He always takes on a challenge wholeheartedly and determined.”

“You know that you are his challenge now, right?” Yoochun eventually remarked.

Yunho's eyebrows shot up, urging Yoochun to explain.

“After losing his father, you and his sister were the only thing he had left and now there is only you. To fail you is not an option for him.”

“But giving up yourself isn't something I am looking for.”

Yoochun paused at that and searched for a way to make Yunho understand.

“How did you fall in love with him? And don't deny it!” Yoochun immediately added when he noticed Yunho's attempt to protest.

“When I first met him, it was a child's crush. A stable boy trying to teach me about horses and life and trying to make me believe in myself. But then I sought him out when I was in distress, regardless of the time of day. I liked him for the advice he gave me. When he entered the training it got harder to see him when my studies started. Most of the time I only saw him during the tournaments and I started to admire him for his grace and strength, something I strove for.

“When he was knighted I feared for him as he got sent out for missions. That's when I noticed my feelings for him. I was disappointed when he didn't make it as my bodyguard but on the other hand also relieved because I wasn't strong enough yet to face him. I would still be able to make mistakes without him being there and judging me for it.

“But being with him now and seeing all the pain he is in, seeing his self-destructive nature...” Yunho drifted off.

“...makes you love him less?” Yoochun asked cautiously.

Yunho shook his head.

“No, it's just... different. It makes me want to reach out to him, take away whatever has been worrying him and shield him from it.”

“But you know that he has become like this because of you, right? He worked this hard to be close to you one day and if not so to do his work as a soldier. His failure in the try out was what led him to his life full of missions - to serve you and your people best. Even though the people ostracized him because of his dedication for you.”

Yunho let the information sink and groaned with regards to the words he had told JaeJoong.

“Did you ever tell him anything you told me? Overcoming you childhood crush and the likes?”

Yunho sighed exasperated and glared at Yoochun. The other, however, wanted an answer so Yunho gave in.

“What do you think Yoochun? Would I be here if I had? To JaeJoong I was never anything else but a Princekid with some hero complex who now spoke his mind and rebelled.”

“Maybe you should tell him your reasons, the same you told me.”

Yunho stared at him as if he wanted to ridicule him.

“Now?” His eyes scanned the mountain up, past Junsu and JaeJoong, at the harshness of the rocks surrounding them.

“Sure, why not? I can't think of a better time, we are about to get to the Temple and whatever is waiting for us there, we won't have much time then.”

Yoochun went past him, slapping him on the shoulder twice by doing so, and left him pondering to himself. As they neared the peak, it grew darker and Yunho saw that the others stopped at what looked like to be a cave. When he reached them, however, he saw that it was a mine.

Back in the days, when there weren't kingdoms of every race but one united kingdom, Dwarfs would work in the mountain range, looking for precious metals or stones, the shovel-like hands of advantage in the hard stone. But when the Demons declared that they are above everyone else, a battle between the races broke out, dividing the world. After the Demons were sent away, the Vampires and Werewolves battled over fertile soil, the Elves discreetly moved to the other side of Dathan. The Vampires eventually won and claimed the western part. The Werewolves, with their crushed prides, never forgot their defeat, even when they joined forces to defeat the first uproar of the Demons, this is why a peace treaty was set up. The Dwarfs gave up their precious mines, not wanting to be involved with the casualties.

Now, the collapsed mines are the only proof that the Dwarfs used to live among the Vampires and Werewolves- and Demons.

“We should rest here,” JaeJoong said as Yunho approached them. The mine would offer some shelter from the strong wind and rain, which Yunho could smell approaching. He nodded and went to strip off his bag, when Yoochun stated that he and Junsu would scout the other side. Yunho looked up at the peak and estimated that it would take them about twenty minutes to get up and down. When he glanced at Yoochun and the latter, winked his assumption was confirmed – Yoochun wanted to give him some 'alone time' with JaeJoong, maybe he had a bit more time in case Yoochun wanted to have some alone time with Junsu as well.

Yunho gulped but gave his approval.

He continued unpacking his things and eventually went over to JaeJoong, who had crouched down, his back to Yunho.

“JaeJoong, I-”

“Look Yunho,” JaeJoong interrupted him.

It wasn't a 'look Yunho I want to talk' look but more a 'Take a look, Yunho' so Yunho took a step closer and looked at what JaeJoong was pointing at.

Several meters away on a jutted rock grew a small flower with dark bluish- purple petals.
It was quite extra ordinary to see something growing up here under these harsh conditions, especially something this beautiful.

“Wow.” Yunho was astonished.

“It's amazing, right? Junsu told me that we might see one here. It's called Jeshimon, for it survives in the desert and the wildness of harsh conditions. It is the plant of hope for the hopeless, because it is a proof that even when things look lifeless and dull, something beautiful can grow out of it.”

Yunho had turned his gaze from the flower back to JaeJoong, fascinated by the Vampire knight next to him. He could be so cold but right now he was gazing fondly at something so simple. This was the side of JaeJoong that he had fallen in love with. Taking one last glimpse at the flower he prayed for it to lend him some courage as hope spurt in him that everything would be all right.

“JaeJoong, I wanted to apologize. I might have over stepped some boundaries with some of the words I have said but I want you to know that I only reacted this way because I care for you, deeply. Doing this journey with you, spending so much time with you after seeing you only frequently, was a wish came true but I regret that it had to be this way because I don't know what will happen next. And to see you sacrificing everything you are for me doesn't seem to be a fair bargain. I want you to live!”

Jaejoong became pensive and could only look at Yunho, searching for words.

“I've done my deed, too. I know that I take things to heart too much, and I try to limit it where I can, but at times I still can't stop. I'm your Knight and I have a responsibility to you and I wouldn't cope with losing you too.” JaeJoong's gaze was directed at the distance, his last words were only whispered, and still Yunho heard him well enough.

“But I don't want you as my Knight,” Yunho declared. JaeJoong was shocked at once, although he tried to hide it. His eyes met Yunho’s gaze and he swallowed slightly, feeling his heart breaking into pieces.

If Yunho didn't want him, he had to deal with it, although his previous words had sounded different altogether. He would deal with it, later in private out of his friends’ prying eyes.
Trying to bear it with pride, JaeJoong wanted to reprimand but Yunho cut him.

“I don't want you as my Knight but as friend, partner and spouse. I want to see how you will guide our people because I know you got their well-being in mind. I want to wake up next to you every morning. I want to have a family, with kids who have your smile and your gracious behavior, who would probably become spoiled rotten but still know how to share. I want you to hold it to me when I'm stepping over my boundaries and tell me if I am behaving like a complete idiot but also to support and encourage me when my duty becomes too much to bear. I want you with me every day, for the rest of eternity and beyond. And don't say you don't want it, because I waited for this moment since I was five years old and I am prepared to wait for you to change your mind for another thirteen years and more.”

JaeJoong felt his emotions were about to explode and his mind going on miles per minute, because just a moment ago he felt like offering himself to the Demons and then he couldn't believe this perfect being right in front of him just proposed to him. His hands reached out for the man in front of him and drew him closer to seal his lips with his own. One hand eventually settled in the man's nape to hold him still. Yunho's hand settled on JaeJoong's chest, grabbing the cloth in his fist.

Several moments later, JaeJoong drew back from the Prince and leaned their foreheads together.

“Thank you,” he mumbled and placed his hand upon Yunho's whose hand now laid flat upon his heart. Yunho chuckled and closed his eyes, cherishing this perfect moment.

Yet, they were interrupted when they heard the hurried steps of their friends. JaeJoong turned around to greet them, smiling slightly, when he saw the face of Yoochun and Junsu. Immediately his good mood faded as did Yunho's who gave his hand a firm grip before letting it got to get closer to Yoochun.

“Sorry to interrupt, but we have a problem,” Yoochun exclaimed.

“What happened?” Yunho asked.

“Demons, that's what happened,” Junsu responded angrily. “Darn!” With that he kicked the stone wall.

“What do you mean,” JaeJoong inquired. Dread filled him.

“They are camping on the other side of Mt. Sela. Apparently they build a bridge close to the Temple and are preparing themselves to attack when a signal is given. We are lucky that I smelled them before we got to the top, otherwise they would have seen us.” Yoochun, too, was furious. After all, not only had their plan been destroyed but they were about to invade his Empire.

By now, Junsu had sat down on a rock, anger making way for helplessness, his face in hands.

“What should we do now?”

In unison, they decided that trying to find a way through the mine was out of question. First of all, they didn't know whether a way out existed or not or if it was still passable. Secondly, the worst case scenario is they would be trapped by the Demons as they were outnumbered. Junsu reported with a defeated voice of approximately 150 Demons. That only left them with the option of going down, warning the people of Gibeon and to take the route around the Mountain, which would take another 2 days- one way only. The way around the mountain would lead them through forest until shortly before the Temple and therefore provide some cover.

Nevertheless time seemed more important than ever and so they decided to head down immediately. As they were about to descend Yunho, however, took one last look around and when he saw the Jeshimon, he made up his mind. Taking cautious steps he searched for a rock jutting out and to grab on. JaeJoong noticed that Yunho was not following behind him, and looked around until he found Yunho.

“Yunho, what are you doing?!” He thundered, trying not to yell too loud.

But the Prince didn't react but go further until he had reached his goal. Taking the flower by its root, he pulled it out and went back. Arriving at the gathered group, JaeJoong hissed at him. “You happy now?” Yunho ignored his pissed off words and silently gave him the flower.
“This is for you, to never forget that there is hope, even when everything looks dark.”

JaeJoong stared at the flower for some moments before strapping it to his swords hold.

“Thank you. You idiot” and gave Yunho a slight shove.

“Hey, what was that for?” Yunho asked confused.

Yoochun and Junsu only laughed.

 

 

 

 


They climbed down as fast as they could, JaeJoong and Yunho taking the lead and pointing out difficult spots. They discussed the reasons why the Demons could be interested in taking over the Temple. First and foremost, they agreed that the Temple was a sacred place for many people; it would vanquish the moral and will of the them. Additionally, its position was ideal for crossing Dathan as the stone walls weren't too steep. When the Demons came down the mountain path it would look like the Gods sent them.

It was barely dawn when they arrived in Gibeon and they were all exhausted. However, they didn’t have the time to rest and directly went to see the mayor. He wasn't pleased to be woken up at this ungodly hour but as soon as Yoochun explained the situation, he was wide-awake. The guards were called and received orders from the Mayor while Yoochun wrote a letter to his Alpha King, informing him of every detail about the situation and their quest. When he was done writing, he closed the letter with his signet ring's imprint on wax. Yoochun gave the letter to one of the guards who immediately mounted on his horse and rode into the direction of the Capital.

The other guards were busy evacuating the city. The four friends went to the Inn and claimed their horses back, got more supplies and left the city. They rode as far as they could from the city until they couldn’t keep up with their exhaustion. They stopped and hopped off their mounts, allowing themselves to take a nap when the sun started to rise.

While JaeJoong snuggled into Yunho's embrace, Yunho tried to reassure him by whispering visions of the future into his ear. Jaejoong hoped for them to come true but still he prayed for a miracle. He would do anything to keep his people and Yunho save. Everything.

 

 

 

 

 


By mid-day, they were on the road again. They traveled in silence once more, the situation more in dire than ever. When the evening crawled upon them, they began to look for a suitable place to camp and that was when JaeJoong noticed that something was off.

“Doesn't that look different to you, too?” He asked his three friends and pointed out to the place that looked suspicious to him.

Yunho stood directly next to him, squinting his eyes to see what JaeJoong was talking about and then saw what Jaejoong was talking about. “It looks like someone frequently used this as an entry to a path, but tried to cover it.”

There were small evidences, like leaves turning into a certain direction, branches short or slightly folded. Yoochun got closer to the entrance and sniffed.

“I can smell something only faintly. Somebody covered themselves up good.”

They shared a look and decided to take a look where the path would lead too. It was almost invisible during the first few meters but after a while, it broadened and horse prints were visible here and there. Soon, They stood on a tiny hill, looking down on a small house, with smoke coming out of its chimney.

For every minute they’ve spent, it became darker. They agreed to try their luck for shelter at the small house so they made their way down the hill until they were standing in front of the wooden door. Yunho knocked and waited with Yoochun standing right beside him. When the door opened, Yunho was surprised to see that it was one of his people.

“Welcome. He said you would come, my Lord.” Not only was she a Vampire; she obviously knew who he was. They all exchanged glances and JaeJoong only shrugged but were suspicious as well.

Yunho was about to enter the shack when Yoochun gripped his arm tightly.

“Wait Yunho, I smell -”

“Hello Yunho, Prince of the Vampires on the Quest to the Temple.”

“- a Demon.”

 

 

 

 


Immediately, Yunho was in his fighting stance, Yoochun and JaeJoong following behind him, ushering Junsu behind them. With narrowed eyes, the prince regarded the man sitting on a chair facing him.

“Hey, if you want to start on the ethnics early, I am a half-Demon, alright, Mutt? The name's Changmin by the way.”

The Demon smirked slightly. Yunho stepped further into the room, not letting the Demon out of his sight, Yoochun kept up with him on his left side and JaeJoong on his right, Junsu stayed at the back.

“How did you know about us?” Something was strange about Changmin, especially as the female Vampire stepped in front of him.

“He means no harm to you!” she said but was disregarded by the four of them.

The Demon's smirk widened.

“The same way I know everything. I see it.”

Yunho looked closer at the man in front of him when Junsu suddenly spoke from behind him.

“You are blind!”

And that was when Yunho noticed the dim and slightly off focused eyes.

 

 

 

 

 


“You can drop your weapons as my only power is to see, although I have to admit that doesn't make me defenseless. Maybe we should introduce ourselves more formally, shall we? I am Changmin, half-Demon, half-Dwarf.”

“Half-Dwarf?”

“Yeah, apparently my father was quite a catch, even as a Dwarf.”

Yoochun had never heard of such hybrid before, maybe because it's been a long time since Demons and Dwarfs mingled together.

Yunho seemed to have come to the same conclusion.

“How old are you?”

“How old do I look like?” Changmin beamed. “By the way, isn't it rude to ask after the age when you haven't even introduced yourself?”

“But you already know us,” Junsu tried to reason.

“Ah, I only know you through what I saw in my mind and that doesn't count.”

JaeJoong wasn't sure but it seemed Changmin's eyes dimmed even more for a second just before he spoke again.

“You know that you have more than just an average , right?”

Yunho and Yoochun gasped slightly while JaeJoong just stared. They all knew how sensitive Junsu was about his and therefore never commented on it, but this blind man-

“Yeah, and yours is quite nonexistent, you want to share?” Junsu replied dryly.

Changmin laughed and a few seconds later, Junsu started to grin. Yoochun only stared at his mate. If it had been him making such a comment, he would have gotten the cold shoulder for like forever.

“Can you control your power?” JaeJoong asked in wonder.

Demons were known to have different powers but usually they have to do a certain motion to activate it, only very few of them were capable of controlling it mentally.

“If you mean whether I could ask for a vision right away, no, usually not. And my sight is also limited. I can only see my future. If I get up now and want to cross over to the kitchen my sight would tell me that there's a stool in the way and how to avoid it. My sight also told me you would be coming, so I told Joo-Eun about it.”

They all turned to the other Vampire who blushed immediately. Yunho estimated her to be his age. Her built was slender, not necessarily like one of a fighter but one would never know.

“This reminds me- we still haven't gotten around to introduce each other because honestly I haven't told her much but that you would come, my Lord,” Changmin reminded them. The Demon-Dwarf stood up and slowly but surely got to stand next to her.

“This is Joo-Eun. My girl,” he beamed proudly.

Joo-Eun just shoved her elbow into his ribs and JaeJoong heard a faint Jerk. Somehow the girl irked him. Every time he looked at her, he had a feeling that she reminded him of somebody but he couldn't place it. She would look at him occasionally with a frown, although she looked away when she noticed that he was aware of her wary eyes.

“Nice to meet you, my Lords,” she said gently as she bowed her head.

“Not all of us are of blue blood, Joo-Eun. As you already know me, I'm Yunho, the Prince of the Vampire Empire,” Yunho started with a slight bow of his head, which Joo-Eun returned.

“I'm Kim Junsu,” he stated.

“The duck- healer Elf,” Changmin added, Junsu was already fuming again.

“I go by the name Park Yoochun and I'm a mutt as your boyfriend already pointed out.” Yoochun didn't know whether to be annoyed with the man who so unscathed teased his mate or to congratulate him for his bravery.

Changmin chuckled but glanced now at JaeJoong.

“Last but not least,” Changmin started. There was a strange glint in his eyes which JaeJoong couldn't pin point, but he continued.

“I'm a Vampire like you, Kim JaeJoong.”

At once, the look on Joo-Eun's face changed to shock.

“Kim JaeJoong?” she said flabbergasted.

However the intonation and flow of his name woke memories buried deep in him. Pictures flashed in front of his eyes and the only thing he could mutter was “Eun-Young?”

All of the sudden, he had arms full with what seemed to be his sister.

“JaeJoong! Gosh, I thought I'd thought I lost you and would never see you again!”

“What – how?” But those questions could wait for later, he just threw his arms around her, although he was still confused. When he looked over her shoulder to Yunho, he saw the fond look in his eyes. He smiled back and just drew her small body closer to his.

“Eun-Young.”

 

 

 

 


“So what, this is your sister that you thought was dead?” Junsu asked.

JaeJoong only nodded in pure happiness.

When Joo-Eun, now Eun-Young, had calmed down, she stepped back and went to Changmin, only to slap him on the arm.

“You oaf, you knew it, didn't you? But you didn't even say a word!”

“Hey, what can I do, I wanted to surprise you!”

JaeJoong wouldn't have thought it strange, if Changmin had struck out his tongue but surprisingly he didn't. Instead, he took her in his arm and gave her a gentle peck on the cheek. “You are welcome, darling,” it was meant for Eun-Young's ears only but the Vampires couldn't help but hear it too.

“What happened Eun-Young, I thought you died.” JaeJoong couldn't help but he had to know what was going on.

They all sat down at the round table. “I thought you were dead, too.” Eun-Young frowned in thought.

“About three years ago, Aunt Halah told me you were on a mission and that even after five months, they haven’t heard anything from you. Then they started talking ill about you and how it would be in your blood to either betray the country or to be too weak to stand a chance in life. I tried to ignore them but it got too much and I got angry and we had an argument.”

JaeJoong never thought she'd had it in her. She always had her own opinion but she was rather well reserved.

“At that time it wasn't official yet but later you'd had been declared missing in action.”

“I remember that mission,” Yunho added. “I had dozens of sleepless night, worried sick where the hell you had been, but nobody would tell me where exactly they sent you.”

“Dragons,” was all he said as he remembered what had looked like the point of no return. He had been injured severely and the Knight accompanying him swore 'til today that it was a miracle he survived because he swore JaeJoong had been dead at one point.

“Anyways, during the argument, she led it slip that you apparently weren't my real brother but only half. That father had an affair and mother took you in although she didn't have to, making Aunt all bitter. I didn't want to believe and listen to her spouting lies so I decided to pack my things, in which she said she would declare me dead if I dared to leave the house. I ignored her and went to the Capital on my own to look for you. But when I arrived there and asked for you, the Captain told me how you had been lost. I wanted to get back to mourn in peace but she had fulfilled her warning and declared me dead. So I haven't had a name or family to refer to and decided to name myself Joo-Eun and to leave for the Werewolves Empire, where I met Changmin.”

“When I came back from the mission I got a letter from her, where she wrote to me that you had died from an illness and were already burnt,” JaeJoong said, voice full of hurt for all the tears and grief spent in vain. He took her hand in his and pressed it firmly.

“The past lies behind us now. Let's welcome the future.”

 

 

 


Changmin agreed to let them stay in his shack he had built some years ago. Obviously, a hybrid Demon wasn't looked well on although Changmin had to admit that he most likely wouldn't have last long with regular Demons.

“I will never understand how they can be so power hungry. What good will it come out if you have all the power?” According to him, there were more pure-blooded Demons who thought like him but had to keep quiet in fear to be slaughtered, by either fellow Demons or their family.

At the question if he knew why the four of them were here, he nodded.

“You want to go to the Temple of Consiliua to ask for the Gods’ help, though why you came this way and didn't take the direct route is beyond me.”

They told him about the Demons camping on Mt. Sela. Changmin frowned and was lost in thought for a while.

“Do you know why the Demons need to conquer your three kingdoms?” Changmin asked.

“To get the door connected to the human world open,” Yunho answered.

“Yes, but why your countries? I mean, after all there are other countries bordering and easier races to defeat, like - Dwarfs,” Changmin replied.

They shook their head.

“Because your three empires are united and have as much power as 6 of the others. Of course, the fight involved is harder, still the energy needed to open the gate is the purest when it comes from you, who are so similar to the humans.”

This was new to the five people around him and they all let the knowledge sink in before Changmin broke the silence.

“You know that I will go with you four, right?” Everyone had their eyes on the Demon.

Yoochun and Eun-Young looked as if they were about to protest but Changmin already silenced them with his next words.

“After all, how else are you going to open the gates to the Gods without my blood.”

“What do you mean,” JaeJoong asked.

“What, did you think it would be so easy to meet them? Every God demands a sacrifice and although I don't know what they will ask for, you won’t get to meet them if you don’t do it right. If it were so easy, then many people before you would have gotten their wish granted. There may be still some pilgrims going there now and then but never heard of any of them meeting the Gods.”

“Hypothetically, we thought it to be a legend,” Yoochun spoke.

“Hypothetically, if you really believed that, you wouldn't have taken all this upon you if you thought it to be a fairytale,” Changmin deducted.

When their conversation ended, they all went to bed; the four new arrivals found spaces at the stable. It wasn't easy for JaeJoong and Eun-Young to be separated again after being apart for such a long time. They will have to ride to the Temple early in the morning and the four travelers needed to catch up with their sleep. JaeJoong and Eun-Young decided that they would have a little more time to bond tomorrow morning before leaving and Eun-Young would them until where it would be safe for her. They would leave the horses behind with Eun-Young to look after them and travel further by foot.

JaeJoong and Yunho lay on the straws, facing each other with their arms wrapped around each other’s waists. JaeJoong found it hard to find sleep and Yunho tried to get JaeJoong's mind to settle down.

“I'm glad to see your sister alive,” he started.

“Me too.”

“Of course you are. You never told me she was quite a beauty,” Yunho teased.

“Shut up, you jerk,” JaeJoong chuckled, shoving Yunho but drawing his beloved's head to his chest immediately after. “Get some sleep.”

 

 

 


After a small breakfast, JaeJoong and Eun-Young decided to take a short stroll while the others prepared the horses.

“Do you really think we are only half-siblings?”

JaeJoong would have to lie if he said he hadn't thought about it, as the thought had stolen him some sleep last night. “I don't know. But to be honest, I don't really care. You are my sister and nothing will ever change that.”

Eun-Young hugged him, holding him close to her, JaeJoong returning the gesture.

“I'm glad you found such a great match, Eun-Young.” These were JaeJoong's honest thoughts because he could see that Changmin really adored his sister.

“Thank you, but you did good as well, I saw the looks you two share. I wouldn't mind if I get a piece of him,” Eun-Young .

JaeJoong only chuckled and looked at Yunho from afar, who was talking with Junsu.

“He's one of a kind.” Jaejoong smiled.

 

 

 


During their ride they kept an eyeful watch of their surroundings but nothing happened.
They rode in silence until Changmin gave the sign to slow down and dismount from their horses.

Giving her his Felix' reins JaeJoong reminded Eun-Young

“No false heroics!”

Eun-Young looked fondly at her brother. “Take good care of yourself, JaeJoong”

From now on it was more important than ever to keep silent. Changmin lead the group and if somebody had told Yunho weeks beforehand that he would follow a blind Demon to lead them through the Demons den, he would have laughed and declared that somebody to be insane.

But he trusted Changmin.

Now, the smile on the Demon's face had been replaced with a serious look.
When they got closer to the Temple, Changmin held up a hand to signal that from now on they had to be extra cautious. He even stopped altogether but as Yunho looked at him, he saw how his eyes had glazed over more than usually, which was a telltale sign he had a vision.

All of the sudden, Changmin who had crept low drew up to his full height. “What are you doing,” JaeJoong hissed from behind. “Do you hear that?” Changmin asked.

Yunho strained his hearing but heard nothing except the faint roar of Dathan. He shook his head.

“Exactly. Shouldn't 150 Demons make some noise, even if they were told to be silent?”

Awareness dawned upon the other four and JaeJoong was the next one to stand up, followed by the others. With confident steps he went through the last bushes and trees separating them from the Temple only to find the place vacant.

Traces of a horde Demons camping here were left behind but the Demons had moved on. Speechless, Yunho eyed the camp side and went after JaeJoong who walked towards a fireplace. The Knight grabbed into the ashes. “It isn't warm anymore. They must have been gone for at least several hours.”

Junsu went to Changmin's side and slapped him. “Hey, what was that for? Why am I always slapped and shoved around?” Changmin complained, rubbing the sore spot.

“For giving me a fright just back there. Couldn't you have had that freaking vision a little earlier?” Junsu fumed. His nerves were seriously getting to him; as a healer he was used to straining hours during an operation and the likes but this was a whole new level of suspense.

“It's not like I can control it!” Changmin grunted.

Yoochun and JaeJoong chuckled but Yunho still scanned the area suspiciously. He didn't like this silence; it was too eerie for him. This was too easy.

JaeJoong, Junsu and Yoochun went to enter the Temple, weapons drawn but none really suspected anything. Changmin went to follow them, but Yunho held him back.

“Changmin, what will happen?”

Apparently, Changmin thought he meant the outcome of the impending war in general.

“I don't know, Yunho. You will just have to trust in your people.”

Yunho’s fears were not still but he told himself to settle with this answer and to concentrate on what laid before him.

 

 



The Entrance Hall was a circular room. On the left and right sides, pictures on the stones told of ancient wars and the Gods' intervention. They all ended with a statue standing in an alcove on the opposite side of the entrance. It was a phoenix, beautiful crafted, and it looked like it would set out to fly any moment. Yunho wondered if their story would be found here too, some day.

The ground was uneven as several circles decorated it. “Junsu, I need your help,” Changmin exclaimed. With eyebrows high, Junsu went to Changmin's side. What had the Demon planned with him now? “Do you see these three molds?” Changmin pointed them out. They were at the center of three of the smaller circles. Junsu nodded. “You have to help me spill my blood in them and afterwards in the big circle surrounding them.”
Junsu, as well as the others, eyed the circle Changmin spoke of. “The whole circle?” Junsu was shocked- the circle almost took the whole room, embracing all other circles.
“Yes, the whole one. The smaller ones represent your people, the ones you try to protect. The big one represents us, the Demons, who want to absorb them,” Changmin explained. “Now, let's do this, it won't be any less painful if we wait longer.”

Junsu could only assume that the other circles represented the other races living in their world.

Changmin cut his wrist with the dagger he brought, Junsu helped him to make direct hits. When the wound decided to heal itself, he slit his other wrist. He repeated the ritual until the deed was done.

JaeJoong would have expected a rumbling or an earthquake, anything, but nothing happened to show it had worked.

“Look!” Yoochun pointed out and certainly- above the phoenix an inscription was visible now, however JaeJoong couldn't read it, although it looked familiar.

“It's Elven,” Yunho assumed and JaeJoong looked at Junsu who nodded affirmative.

Junsu stepped closer and mouthed the words but without a voice leaving his lips.

“It's a riddle. Translated it sounds like this:

Round like a circle,
deep like a cup.
Yet all the King's horses
could not pull it up”



“It has to be something which is here, in this very Hall, so keep looking,” JaeJoong assumed.

They did, but no one found something that fit. Meanwhile Changmin stood still in the middle and pondered.

“A well!” He declared at once and startled everyone.

“Huh?”

“It’s circular and deep- a well. Do you see a well somewhere?”

They looked around but only found a fountain, which was part of the phoenix’ statue.

“Do you think we have to find a secret arm or something?” Yoochun asked while he examined it.

“No, I don’t think that will do any good. It has to be here, somewhere.”

Junsu kept glancing around before he noticed it. Looking around the room more frantically, he saw more.

“Guys, there are Elven letters scattered around in the paintings and together they form the word the Elven word ‘well’.”

He pointed them out and true to his word, there were 7 letters carved into the stone.

“Do you think we have to push them all at once?” Yunho contemplated.

Junsu shrugged. “There are scattered too much, we are only five people after all. I would go with the right order.”

And so, Junsu coordinated them to press the letters in the right order.

Just as they had, JaeJoong pushed the last letter, a stone door opened behind the phoenix.
They went through the door. Yunho went first and Yoochun as the last one. They found themselves standing outside again although they were facing Dathan this time. The river roared approximately 30 meters underneath them, cutting through the stone. Between them and the other side, was another entrance, were seven to eight meters away.

“How are we going to cross that one?” Yunho fathomed as he stood at the edge, looking down at the water. He, JaeJoong and Yoochun could probably cross it with a long running beforehand, but Junsu or a blind Demon? Snowball chance in hell.

“I could try to shoot a rope attached to an arrow across and built us a bridge that way,” Junsu suggested but when he tried it the wind blew so heavily that the arrow missed its aim, time and time again. Even a correction didn't make it better. It was like Junsu wasn't supposed to find a way.

Yoochun, feeling frustrated, looked around. They couldn't be stuck now, not after all the struggles, fights and blood spilt. It can’t end like this in vain. That was when he noticed a hole on the stone wall right next to him. He saw a rock, which almost looked like a werewolf. The others had gathered at the edge of their platform to discuss any ideas, when the ground underneath them shook and moved.

Just seconds earlier, Yoochun had decided to try his luck in wiggled his right hand through the hole. When he reached the rock in it and pushed it, nothing happened. Yoochun remembered its look and concluded that it maybe wasn't a bottom but a handle, which had to be turned. That's just what he did – and the platform underneath his friends’ feet began to move.

Yoochun, however, was stuck.

The rock surrounding his arm seemed to have shrunken some more and as much as he tried to pull hard, his arm didn't move a bit. The four friends on the platform didn't know what happened to them at first but when they saw how they moved over the river towards the other side they were glad. Until they realized that Yoochun wasn't with them.

Turning around, they saw the Werewolf struggling. “Yoochun, come on! Get on board!” Yunho shouted. The platform moved steadily and they had already brought some distance behind them.

Yoochun didn't know if it was just his panic playing with his mind but he could swear the rock hole shrunk further as the platform moved. His fist like hand however didn't fit through the opening. He somehow had to get his hand smaller or his arm would be smashed between the rocks. That's when he got it- there was a simple solution to shrink his own hand. He searched for his inner wolf and channeled its energy into his arm, forcing only his arm to turn in to the paws of a wolf. Immediately, he was able to pull his arm out, stumbling back. His head turned to his friends who almost had reached the other side and screamed frantically, although that lessened when they saw that he was able to free himself.

He transformed fully, shaking his fur and paced back into the Entrance Hall, running as fast as he could and- jumped. His paws touched the other side, crawling themselves into the stone. Three sets of hands already pulled at him to get him fully on safe ground.

Yoochun panted, as he turned back into his human form, grateful once more that werewolf clothing molded into the wolf’s skins during a transformation and therefore he was never left afterwards. It spared him some embarrassing situations, especially when he woke up next to Junsu in the morning and shifted back.

“Gosh, Yoochun, never scare me like this again!” Junsu pulled Yoochun's head to his neck, checking him for any injuries.

JaeJoong clapped him on the shoulder. He gave them a moment and went to Yunho and Changmin. The three stared at the hall in front of them. It was trice the height of the Entrance Hall and twice its size and the ground was even. As they stepped closer to the center a voice echoed through the hall.

“We see you made it to our home, little Prince and friends.” The air before them began to shimmer and slowly, a figure was appearing in front of them.

However it was hard to concentrate on it, at least for JaeJoong, because every time he tried to look at it, the figure seemed to change from one person into another, always changing, making him dizzy. JaeJoong decided to simply look to a point slightly beside it to avoid the confusing creature, as he along with the others kneeled down.

“I sought you out, my dear Gods of the East, because our Empires are in danger and I seek your help,” Yunho spoke.

“We already know of this. Why should we grant your wish, little Prince, what makes your race or the others so special, if you can't even fight on your own for yourself. Survival of the fittest.”

With the orchestra of voices booming through the hall, JaeJoong couldn't determine whether they talked coldly or not, but it gave him goosebumps, especially at the Gods' reply.

Yunho was as startled as they all were and straightened up, the others following.
“But what about the legend, about when you helped-” Yunho stopped at once, remembering Changmin's words.

Every God demands a sacrifice.

“You demand a sacrifice. The task before were to test our honesty and willingness, now you need a sacrifice.”

JaeJoong thought the Gods before him smiled, but he couldn't tell for sure, not with them never staying still.

“But what could you, little Prince, be offering me?”

“My riches are of no use for you and the only other thing I can command freely over is my life.” Yunho reasoned.

“Yunho, no!” JaeJoong hissed, not believing what he had heard just now, immediately stepping closer and gripping his lover’s arm.

Yunho only inclined slightly in JaeJoong's direction as if to apologize but otherwise didn't move one bit. JaeJoong bit his lip. This couldn't be happening, there had to be another option.

“A true king must put the happiness of his people before that of himself.”

JaeJoong blanched as he heard the God’s voice, panic about to take over.

“I know which sacrifice would be great enough: The love that your people have for you and your love.”

JaeJoong just stared and- did one of the God’s figure just wink at him?

He blinked when realization dawned on him. All of a sudden, peace filled him. He nodded and his decision was made. He would do everything for this man. Everything.

“I'll do it,” JaeJoong said aloud and went past Yunho and stood in front of him.

Turning around, Jaejoong placed his hand on Yunho’s nape, pulling him closer as he wanted to taste his lips for the last time. However, he knew he only had seconds before Yunho would have caught up and he did the hardest thing he ever had to do, which was to push him away.

“I ain't afraid to die.”

He stepped back, leaning into the God’s awaiting arms. He mouthed him his last words and the last thing JaeJoong saw was Yunho standing in between, looking in disbelief as Yoochun and Junsu grabbed Yunho from behind to stop him before everything turned black.