Part I

The Quest of Sela





 

 

Are we living in the same world?
Me and you, the answer is no, but
it’s a destined meeting, as long as somebody decides

 


With big eyes, JaeJoong looked past the great columns of the reception hall. Through his four year old eyes, the posts seemed to extend on and on into the dark. His heightened sight couldn't fathom the end of the posts. He naively followed the tugs of his father’s firm grip around his hand. His father had told him not to stray away or to stare too long at people, let alone the king and queen. Cautiously, he made sure to not let his son be out of reach. Kim Eung Soo's worries however had been in vain since JaeJoong wasn't interested in the mass of people surrounding him. Instead, the colorful windows entranced him.

The people around them were whispering but a clearing of the throat silenced the room. Even JaeJoong noticed the silence and eventually turned his attention away from the windows to the people surrounding him. Shyly, he stepped closer to his father and clamped his other hand onto the cloth within his reach.

Everyone's eyes was enthralled by the commotion at the front of the room. JaeJoong did his best to see what they were looking at but became frustrated since he was too short.

Suddenly, the silence was broken.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, I hereby present you your King and Queen and your newborn Prince, Prince Yunho.”

The announcement was a silent cue for everyone to descend to their knees. JaeJoong was finally able to see. On a gallery were two massive chairs, thrones his father's voice chided in his head. A curtain fell elegantly in front of the thrones and a clothed man. JaeJoong was abruptly dragged down by his father, who had also sunken to his knees. His father’s disapproving glance made JaeJoong feel bad because he had promised to show excellent behavior for taking part in this special ceremony. This was the formal welcoming of his future king into this world and it was customary to pledge loyalty to him. Obediently, JaeJoong kneeled and bowed his head in respect and shame. He knew that he would be chastised for his behavior.

“Welcome, my dear friends. I'm grateful to see so many of you here to welcome my son in our beautiful empire. It's always a gift when a child comes to this world and more so with a heritage like his. I will swear to you, my people, to raise him by my best conscience, knowing that someday he will follow my footsteps and look over the empire. Stand up and come forward one by one, show your joy and respect for the future of our kingdom.”

Everyone gracefully got up and squeezed by each other to form a line. The scolding look in his father's eyes restrained Jaejoong from jumping up and down to get a better view.
When they were next in line, his father’s previous warning replayed in his head; “Don't say anything. Keep your eyes on the ground and your hands to yourself. Before we go up, we kneel down once again.”

At last it was their turn and JaeJoong kneeled down beside his father. His eyes were focused on the bleak ground beneath him. As his father rose, JaeJoong also stood up and walked by his father's up the steps to the platform.

“Welcome, Lord Kim Eung Soo”, said the King. “I'm delighted to see you, my friend.” JaeJoong didn't look up but he thought he had heard a pat on his father's shoulder.

“My King, my Queen, it is a pleasure to see you in good health.”

“Now, now, don't be so formal. Take a look at your future king.”

With these words, JaeJoong's father stepped closer to the bassinet between the two thrones. Curiously, JaeJoong took the chance of looking up slightly through the fringes of his hair. What his eyes saw were tiny hands, which wildly fidgeted in the air. The Queen’s stare startled JaeJoong and he immediately gazed at the floor.

“Now, who do we have here?” The voice rang like a thousand bells chiming in harmony as one.

His father pulled him gently forward. “This is JaeJoong, my Queen. My eldest.”

“My, you have grown. Won't you let me take a look at you?”

Not knowing what to do, JaeJoong looked cautiously to his father, who gave him a slight nod of approval. JaeJoong looked up and before him was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen.

“Come, stand beside me,” she commanded. JaeJoong’s fascination grew as his distance between the Queen and the bassinet decreased. “The last time I saw you, you were just as little as my little Yunho here. Can you believe that?”

Curiously, JaeJoong stepped closer and saw a tiny baby in linen gazing up to him. He reminded him of his little sister who was waiting for him at home. Although, JaeJoong didn't think Eun-Young was ever that small.

“He's so tiny,” the words slipped from his lips. Frightened, he looked at his father who only chuckled together with the couple.

“Yes he is. And that's why it is important that you grow to be a man of strength and wisdom to guide him and eventually follow and protect him, Kim JaeJoong. Will you do that for me?”

With big eyes he looked at the king and back down at the baby who had caught one of his fingers and was staring at him straight in the eyes.

“I promise”, he answered while holding the baby’s gaze. Little did Jaejoong know that his promise would shape his life.

 

 

 


Living an hour ride away from home meant JaeJoong didn't get to visit the castle often. He only went for festivities. But, that all changed on one fateful day.

He was nine years old, almost ten and his father had prepared him to go to the capital soon, to begin his training to serve in the army. He had been out on a cloudy day, playing with his sister in the woods on one of his rare free hours. When they returned, the pitying look of their caretaker hinted that something was wrong.

“JaeJoong, Eun-Young, please follow me,” his confused sister looked at him for guidance but he only shook his head and walked after the man. They were lead to his father's study and they sat down by the fireplace where their father recited legends of wars between vampires and werewolves of by gone days.

“I'm afraid I don't have good news for you. I won’t beat around the bush. During your absence, your father was involved in an accident. A fatal one at that. My sincere condolences, my lord, my lady”

JaeJoong felt as if he was struck and his mind had gone in a trance from the impact. His sister next to him began to cry.

“JaeJoong, tell me it's not true. Tell me father is alive.”

Moving his arms to draw her close felt so difficult, as if it was filled with lead.

“What will happen to us now, Duc-Ahn?” JaeJoong asked with his mind going a mile per second.

“I already sent word to the palace and received a reply. The King and Queen kindly offered to take you in earlier as expected, whereby you would help out the stable boy for now until your training begins. Eun-Young could go to one of your aunts, after all she still needs to be looked after.”

JaeJoong glanced down at his sister in his arms, who was so lost in her grief that she wasn't listening to their conversation.

His heart ached at the thought of leaving his sister behind but he had to fulfill his promise and duty. Sending his sister away would be the best thing for her, she would learn how to become a lady and he would be able to work on measuring up to his father's hopes of him becoming a respectable party of the army.
His resolve was determined.

“All right. Would you please see to the preparations of the burial, Duc-Ahn?”

“Of course my lord.” The caretaker bowed and left them.

JaeJoong held his sister’s fragile body a little tighter.

 

 


JaeJoong stood motionless as his father’s corpse, engulfed in linen disintegrated during the ritual burning. He held his sister's hand in a firm grip but he could not hide his weariness. He had not been able to rest in the past days because of the preparations needed to be made for Eun-Young and his departure.

When nothing was left but embers, JaeJoong turned to Eun-Young. This would be his last and most difficult task before he started a new life at the capitol.

He kneeled down before her and leaned his forehead against hers.

“Eun-Young, I want you to be strong and brave. I want you to bring honor to the Kim family, I- I know you will. You will grow into a beautiful lady and I will have to fend off all kinds of suitors, believe me. But most importantly, never forget how much I love you. I'll try to come and visit you as often as possible.”

She nodded determined.

“I love you too, big brother,” she whispered. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks.

He hugged her and cherished the moment. He knew that he had to let her go. With a last peck on her forehead, he stood up and walked over to Duc-Ahn who was to guide him to the capitol.  He wished it was his father taking him but instead he was in ashes behind him.

 

 


Since the day JaeJoong officially met Prince Yunho, he had only been to the capital twice. JaeJoong was still in awe at the city that lay before him, although he still was miles away he was once again overwhelmed by the hugeness of it.

When they reached the city, Duc-Ahn accompanied him through the busy streets, guiding him to the palace. They were scheduled to meet the Royal couple in a sitting room. Like his father, Duc-Ahn briefly informed him of the customs which made Jaejoong feel more nervous.
When they arrived, the couple was already waiting for them, much to JaeJoong's relief. He was escorted to one of the plushy sofas and the Queen was sitting on an armchair to his right.

“Oh sweetie, I can't imagine what you are going through,” she said, voice thick with emotion whilst extending her hand and placing it on his lap. JaeJoong only smiled helplessly, not knowing the appropriate reaction.

“We knew your father very well. He was a loyal knight and friend.”
“Someone I could rely on when we were in battle,” the King added.

“I was informed that the sister was entrusted into the care of their relatives?” The question was directed to Duc-Ahn who nodded in response.

“For the time being, you will help the stable boy to earn your keep. Your education will start in 2 months together with the other children of your year. As soon as you enter the program, you are freed from your job. Do you have any questions so far?”

JaeJoong shook his head. “No, I’m really grateful that you accept me.”

“Of course, my boy. Never in my dreams would I send you away,” the Queen said gently. JaeJoong was mesmerized by her smile and swore to himself to not only give his best but to not disappoint the majesty.

 

 

photo yhname_zpse5ee2934.png


The work at the stable was exhausting but it taught him a lot about horses. He already knew how to ride one but taking care of them was a different matter altogether. He had occasionally helped around their house as well, but never with these long hours. He only had a glimpse of what 'life was really like' his father used to say.

The first few weeks were hard as he had to bear with the muscle aches but he saw that as a way of building endurance. He tried to be pragmatic and to make the best out of things.

Jong-cheol, the stable boy and his aging father Jong-kyu quickly grew on him and he felt blessed with how his life had turned out after everything looked so dark and hopeless.

Although his two friends tried hard to include him, he couldn't bring himself to participate in their carefree banters, as he would like to.

One day Jong-kyu came running breathlessly into the stables.

“Jong-cheol, JaeJoong, hurry up and prepare Maadan and Areli, hurry!”

During his time, JaeJoong had prepared many horses, mostly for knights staying the night or just to deliver a message, so he knew a lot of well-bred horses. However he had always wondered about the demanded two. Areli was a young one and Maadan was a class for himself. However he never witnessed him being taken out, only when they brought him to the pasture to run around. As he prepared Areli, he was told to use a small saddle. Wondering about the command he did as he was told to. Soon, the unstoppable rambling of a child could be heard.

“...And I really learn how to ride today, Father? On a big horse, just like Maadan?”

Turning around, JaeJoong watched in awe, how the King and Prince Yunho entered the stables. Knowing he was staring, he immediately bowed before he could be caught.

The King hummed affirmative and the Prince started to giggle. “However the horse you will ride on isn't Maadan. Look over there, where the lad is standing. Hello, JaeJoong,” the King greeted and JaeJoong bowed his head once again slightly to return the gesture.” Now, this is yours, Yunho.”

Yunho had followed the pointing gesture of his father but obviously was disappointed by the size of his assigned horse and began to pout.

“Why don't you run over there and take a look while I catch up with Jong-Kyu, Yunho.”

Yunho reluctantly slowly came over to JaeJoong, looking at the eyes of the horse. JaeJoong could only smile fondly at the innocence and childishness of the behavior in front of him. Crouching down a little, JaeJoong looked Yunho over. “Hello Prince Yunho, I'm JaeJoong, I currently take care of your horse here. You know, a horse grows with his master and the challenge. Treat and train your horse well, and it will be everything you ever wished for.”

With big eyes Yunho turned to him. “Really? One day it will be as big a Maadan?”

“Certainly, you just have to look after him very well.”

Yunho let out a deep sigh and reached his hand out to pet its nose, a mischievous smile slowly starting.

“At least it's a pretty one, just like you, JaeJoong. Can I marry you one day?”

Taken aback at the sudden, childish question, JaeJoong looked Yunho in the eyes. Indulging into his little game, not thinking to be reminded, JaeJoong accepted. “Sure thing, as soon as you took up the challenge and master me in battle,” JaeJoong said jokingly, seeing the sparkle in the prince' eye.

“I will be the best knight ever!” Yunho claimed and smiling broadly he turned to the King. “Hurry up father, I wanna learn how to ride a horse!”

 

 

 

 


A few weeks later, JaeJoong's training began. Together with about 15 other boys of his age he moved into the quarters of the 1st year apprentice, sharing the room with 4 other boys. They all came from prestigious families and of course knew what had happened to him. JaeJoong however didn't let them know that he noticed their looks of pity and concentrated on studying instead, after all that was the reason he was here.

His quiet manner made people reluctant to approach him but nonetheless he felt accepted among them, if not for his outgoing nature but skills.

Their morning always started early with sunrise. Until noon, their schedule was filled with training their bodies by running laps and strengthening their body muscles. After lunch, they entered a classroom where several subjects would be taught, like history, math or different languages. The whole education was a rotate system. Besides them, the third years also lived in the accommodation- the second and fourth years were currently in the woods and would stay there training their outdoor and survival skills and come back in another 6 months. At that time, the remaining years will enter the rural part of the country and train there. The fifth year was to live for one year outside of the capital to prove themselves that they can survive with everything they've learned about the wildness.

So far, JaeJoong hadn't seen many of the third years, as they only met during lunch. When they were training at the pit, the older year would have their lessons inside, switching location with them after lunch.

After supper, every room had to do chores together, to strengthen their team work. JaeJoong was grateful that his roommates were dutiful like him and not slacking off as he witnessed others to be.

Every first Saturday of the month, there would be a tournament of some sorts, to show off their new skills as well as bring in a competitive spirit to the boys, to challenge them and give their best while the royal family attended as witnesses. At the seventh day, they were allowed to spend the day on their own.

It was at supper, that JaeJoong heard the whispered news at a neighboring table. “Did you hear about the attack?” - “You mean at the 5th years? Of course! Damn werewolves!” - “Apparently a cousin of the prince was one of the victims.”

JaeJoong had heard enough. Sourly, he stared at the plate before him, suddenly having lost his appetite. It was no secret that vampires and werewolves were enemies for centuries however with the peace treaty made 30 years ago the issue should have been handled. Rogue werewolves, of course, were a different matter. He felt for the prince since he knew how it was to lose a family member, although he didn't know whether the young one was close with his cousin or not.

Taking a deep sigh, JaeJoong got up, bringing his plate to the table assigned and left for the hall for a moment of peace before he had to start his chore. As he strode through the hall, his ears caught the sound of small feet running through the corridor. However JaeJoong was surprised when a crying bundle of snot nearly brought him to the floor.

“JaeJoong! They killed him! H-h-how could they?”

JaeJoong was stiff for a moment, not knowing what the best etiquette for this moment would be but seeing as nobody was around, at least not as far as he knew, he knelt down to embrace the hiccuping little Prince before him.

“Shh, everything will be alright.” He the trembling back of the young child in hopes of calming down the seemingly endless tears soaking into his tunic. Taking the prince into his arms, he sat down at the window ledge nearby.

“I'm so scared,” the boy emitted after he came down. “Why? You are safe here, nothing will happen to you.”

“I'm not scared of me- but for you! You will have to go to the woods one day and what if there were any rogue werewolves too? I wouldn't be able to protect you! I hate that I'm so young!” The Prince proclaimed into his neck.

JaeJoong went still. Since their first officially meeting at the barn, they had maybe seen each other once or twice in between. JaeJoong couldn't fathom how Prince Yunho's fixation on him had become this strong. It warmed his heart, however, he knew that it wasn't healthy.

However now he had to handle the situation at hand.

“My Prince, I promise to be extra careful, alright? We have the best trainers and knights with us and I'll give my best to become even better, you understand me? Do you believe in me?”

Reluctantly, the prince nodded against the neck, snuggling close to him.

 

 

 


The werewolves were officially claimed as rogue ones, still it strained the peace treaty between the two kingdoms of vampires and werewolves.

Life itself became a routine. JaeJoong liked that fact, he liked life to be in order, to follow rules, still he held the small surprises of life close to his heart. For example, at the end of his first year when his sister and her new family visited him. Also he liked the months spent in the wildness, where they dived into the more instinctive skills of their beings. However, he couldn't deny that he secretly liked returning to the castle more because every time he went back, he was able to see the prince maturing physically with skills, build and height and his mind broadening with more knowledge.

They mostly saw each other during the tournaments as Yunho was obliged to start his education early with a head start and spent his time often at the chamber to study with his private tutor. He would enter the training program when he reaches the obligated age, however, only for physical training.

When he searched for JaeJoong, he would often complain about it and JaeJoong would listen to his ranting patiently and pointed out all the good Yunho will do one day for the people.

It was during his fifth year, the year when they are supposed to survive one year in the wilderness, word got out that the King was looking for a bodyguard for his son. Basically, the King looked for several people who would undergo the special bodyguard training, the knight training being the basic requirement, and after a trail phase he would decide who among the people will be guarding the crown prince.

JaeJoong immediately applied.

Several weeks later, he got note that he was accepted for the try out.

 

 


The try out wore out JaeJoong's nerves. Slowly but steadily, the wheat was separated from the chaff. In the end, there were only three people left and the final task was to find Yunho after a pseudo-abduction.

JaeJoong had followed the tracks and traces, which led him to the very doors in front of him, which he was sure would lead him to Yunho. However, the opening of the door was abruptly interrupted when he noticed a sword coming from his right side. The newcomer was one of the other competitors. JaeJoong warded off the attack and countered with a low strike to the man's side, which drew some blood but eventually was stopped. JaeJoong fought fiercely, he was so close to his goal when all of a sudden his sword was thrown out of his hand and flew away, leaving him without a weapon. Before he could try hand combat, he found himself at the point of the sword, knowing he had lost. Feeling forfeited, he closed his eyes, not wanting to see the triumph of the other man who immediately stormed for the door and opened it. Taking a calm breath, he fixed his eyes on his sword and got to it. When he brought it up, he shortly glimpsed at the opened doors.
Inside there, the King was congratulating the Prince’s new bodyguard, the Prince's gaze, however, was fixed on him. He turned around and left, trying to get the disappointed look of Yunho out of his mind.

 

 


Passing his education with distinction should make him proud but his pride was still dejected by his failure.

He didn't feel better at all when he knelt down in front of the King to be knighted, because when he stood up, his eyes betrayed him by noticing Yunho in the background with his new bodyguard, although he told himself to concentrate on the King right before him.

He just stepped back and got himself in line, staring blindly into the inner void of his soul.

 

 

 


The next few months were filled with wonders of being a knight, although they weren't at war neither with the Realm of Elves nor the Empire of the Werewolves, which both bordered with his country at one side, or any country beyond. The other side of the Kingdom faced the sea.

The peace, however, might not last for so long as reports and rumors filled the castle, how the Empire of the Demons, laying behind the ones of the Elves and Werewolves, was preparing itself for battle.

Sometimes he had to do lame missions like accompanying an apprentice healer Elf. It was well known that the Vampires treasure life and the source of life traveling through every living being, and therefore they stilled their hunger with normal food as well as the blood of animals. Nowadays they only used their fangs in battle. Still, many people, especially the Elves, were wary of the control that the Vampires have.

Somehow JaeJoong was grateful for these missions, otherwise he wouldn't have gotten to know the Elf Junsu, who would support the current healer of the royal family and broaden his studies.

The two of them bonded quickly, because somehow the quiet knight and the free spirited Elf got along pretty good. The four-day ride back from Mysia, which is the capital of the Elven Realm, was filled with a lot of laughter, something JaeJoong had thought he had forgotten.

When they reached the courtyard, both of them dismounted their horses and climbed up the stairs. JaeJoong had schooled his features whereas Junsu still wore his smile. As they waited in front of the two grand doors leading to the reception hall, JaeJoong reminded Junsu about the etiquette.

Junsu just rolled his eyes. “I know, JaeJoong. It's not the first time I'm in royal company, Remember- me, apprenticing with the royal Elf healer?” Junsu pointed his finger at himself. “I just wanted to practice with another race and at the same time do something good for our relationship.” He winked at JaeJoong and the knight couldn't help but smile. “Let's get a drink when this is over,” Junsu suggested and JaeJoong nodded obediently.

 

 

 


They would often grab a drink and talk about the recent happenings when they had time and JaeJoong wasn't away, a routine which happened since seven years now.

His last mission had sent him 3 months away and the message he had returned with didn't leave him in a good mood. The rumors proved themselves to be true- the Demons were preparing, though for what he couldn't find out without being revealed.

As they gave report to the Royal family, his eyes did not once stray from the King, his mind excluding everyone else from the hall, and he was proud of himself, telling himself that he served the empire at best in his current position.

The King gritted his teeth at his recounts.

After a short pause he spoke: “With what you have seen so far, what kind of preparations would you suggest, Kim JaeJoong?” JaeJoong was startled. Normally, the King had advisers for these kind of situations and questions, but the look in the King’s eyes told him that he wasn't joking at all.

Gulping, JaeJoong answered slowly. “As I am not trained for these kind of decisions I can only act on my instinct and on my loyalty to my country and therefore I suggest we should prepare ourselves for battle.”

King held his eyes a second longer and eventually turned to his high ranked commander. “You heard the knight. Make the according preparations. JaeJoong, you will oversee the training.”

JaeJoong bowed at once. “Yes, my Lord.”

 

 


Leaving the conference room after discussing the plans with the Commander, who is a man he remembered very well from his trainee days, he met up with Junsu.
It was a welcomed distraction to listen to his ranting of his love-life problems instead of thinking of battle strategies or training plans. “... so the guy has the guts to come from behind, slap me on the , throwing his arm around my neck and asking me whether I would have dinner with him or not.”

“And what did you tell him?” JaeJoong laughed, amused at his friends fierceness.

“Heck, no! The guy should learn some finesse first before trying to engage conversation with someone with such a high profile as I, and I told him so, quite heated, although to be frank he was high profile as well, being a Werewolf ambassador and everything, and-”

“Wait, we have an ambassador from the wolves here?” That was news to JaeJoong.

“Yes, we do. I'm sure he was in the hall when you delivered the message since firstly, he is an ambassador and secondly, he is a good friend of the Prince. Didn't you notice him?” Junsu wondered.

And JaeJoong hadn't. He had been concentrating on ignoring at Yunho's; he had dismissed everything he didn't connect with the King.

He excused himself from Junsu, not missing the worried look on his friend’s face. Despite the fact he couldn't care less. He knew he had to eventually get a grip on himself because this behavior had to stop.

Still, he found himself at the windows hill, which overlooked the entrance of the servants. JaeJoong had found a pattern in Yunho's behavior.

Every Sunday, a day known as rest day, a day where the Royal family would keep themselves in their protective walls, the bodyguard obviously lacked attention because Yunho would slip out of the entrance and mingle with the people. He would return before the bodyguard could report him being missed- JaeJoong figured that was Yunho's way of rebelling. Instead of the bodyguard, JaeJoong would follow Yunho in a safe distant, always watching and following him from the roofs and his ears the guide for Yunho's typical way of walking.

Today, too, Yunho snuck through the door. Yunho seemed to hesitate for a moment, but eventually went further. Jaejoong told himself that today would be the last time, and jumped out of the window into the night.

Maybe he should rattle Yunho out so that he wouldn't have to worry about him.

 

 


A couple of days later, JaeJoong, Junsu and Yoochun, the Werewolf ambassador, walked along the halls of the castle. JaeJoong had met Yoochun at the training compound- the latter wanted to test himself in a fight with a Vampire. JaeJoong had grabbed the opportunity to get to know the man who still harassed his friend and to find a good sparring partner, as Yoochun was known to be a lieutenant with the Werewolves.

Their battle had drawn quite an audience, Yoochun being quiet fast for a Werewolf and it ended with a draw, both at sword point. They had grabbed their arms, done an one arm hug and never separated afterwards. Junsu called it betrayal.

Yoochun of course still tried to court Junsu, who slowly grew warm with the idea, but Yoochun also supported JaeJoong with training the trainees, both seemingly communicating with thoughts and looks only.

The three often met together to get some drinks or to just simply walk around to talk. Although JaeJoong had to admit, he rarely talked but enjoyed the banter between his two friends, which had something endearing to it. They were often touching each other randomly, at the elbow or the shoulder, and JaeJoong figured it wouldn't be much longer before Junsu eventually would give in.

As they were walking along the hall, Junsu and Yoochun were arguing about whether healer elves should learn some battle skills or not, as Junsu would love too, when JaeJoong noticed something through the window. He stayed still and squinted his eyes to find out what had bothered him in the first place.

Yoochun and Junsu had gone a bit further until Yoochun noticed JaeJoong was left behind.

“What's up?” Yoochun inquired as he went back. JaeJoong only held up his hand, signaling him to be quite. Yoochun kept quiet at once and stepped next to JaeJoong to look into the darkness. His eyes, however, weren't as skilled as JaeJoong’s and he couldn't see anything. As he looked back to JaeJoong, his friend’s eyes had widened considerably.

“What's it, what do you see?” he whispered.

“Yunho- he's leaving,” JaeJoong answered as in trance, his eyes following the Prince's figure who readied Areli. However, as soon as his words were spoken he seemed to leave the trance and sprang into action.

“I have to follow him, you two stay here.”

“Hoho, hold your horses! You aren't leaving without me, the Prince is my friend too,” Yoochun said.

“I come with you too,” Junsu added at once.

Pained, JaeJoong made a fast decision. “Alright, you two go together and follow me with distance as you both make way to much noise. I will follow him, as I can see his traces on the ground and move soundless with my horse. Yoochun, you simply follow our scents.”

With these words, JaeJoong took the short cut and jumped through the window, leaving behind the distressed Elf and impatient werewolf.


Sometimes I wonder why you even care
Cause even when I leave you’re always there with me

 


JaeJoong hadn't taken the time to saddle Felix but immediately straddled it and tried to follow Yunho. There were only limited gates to the castle and by exclusion procedure JaeJoong took the one that was most unremarkable.

The moon had already risen but when JaeJoong entered the woods, the fog hindered his sight . On one hand it would let him keep cover but had to slow down, as he had to concentrate on the tracks that Areli left behind. His horse was trained to take cautious steps and JaeJoong had won several awards for their combined skills.

The good thing with the fog was that Yunho had to find his way through the trees whereas JaeJoong could simply follow footprints. Therefore it didn't take long until he occasionally heard telltale signs that somebody was riding before him.

JaeJoong kept at a safe distance because at times the fog lighten up suddenly and he would have been at plain sight.

Suddenly, Areli stood still.

“I feel the same eyes on me like I do at times at the castle, though you were never this close. Show yourself!” With these words Yunho turned around with Areli.

Sighing to himself, JaeJoong stepped out of a fog bank and revealed himself. “My Prince.”

I had always wished it was you, but I never hoped it to be true,” Yunho whispered.

“What was that?” JaeJoong asked but Yunho only shook his head.

“What are you doing here, Kim JaeJoong?” Yunho asked with furrowed eyes brows.

“Doing the job your bodyguard apparently can't keep up with.”

“You lost,” Yunho said, his voice and face devoid of any emotions.

“I know. And if there is one day in my life I regret the most, it is that day. However, I believe the skills of a bodyguard aren't only strength, endurance and power but also loyalty, passion and an interest in the person guided,” JaeJoong declared.

“And still you can't even look into my eyes when the opportunity arises,” Yunho replied, hurt visible in his voice.

“Because I would be reminded of what I have lost.”

“And what is that?” Yunho challenged.

Too late, JaeJoong noticed he had run into a trap. Breaking their eye contact JaeJoong looked over Yunho's right shoulder.

“I-”

At that moment, they heard the noise from two horses closing in. JaeJoong turned and grabbed his sword at his hip, readying himself, Yunho doing the same behind him.

Who appeared through the fog, however, were Junsu and Yoochun.

The tension immediately left Yunho and JaeJoong.

“Junsu, Yoochun- you should leave. You too, JaeJoong,” Yunho said.

“Snowball chance in hell, princeling,” Yoochun teased.

Yunho rolled his eyes. “I'm serious here, Yoochun.”

“Where are you going?” JaeJoong asked.

Yunho hesitated for a moment, but eventually gave in.

“The Temple of Consiliua.”

The reaction of this admission followed immediately.

“What?” Junsu exclaimed. “You can't be serious at all, Prince Yunho!”

Yoochun reacted alike.

Only JaeJoong examined Yunho and when the Elf and the Werewolf still hadn't silenced yet, he raised his hand, to get his silence.

“You think it is this serious?”

Yunho nodded in answer.

“Alright. I will follow you, my Lord. No matter what it requires,” JaeJoong said, determined

Speechless, Yunho and Junsu regarded JaeJoong, who already led Felix to Areli.

Yoochun frowned.

“Ok, you stinky Vampires,” Yoochun gritted out. “Don't think you can leave us behind, I know the land best, but you owe me, Yunho.”

 

 

 


Junsu had taken his bow and arrow with him, as they were stored close to his horse' box. Yoochun and Junsu had also brought a cape for JaeJoong to be on the safe side, because although Vampires had a low body temperature, they weren't totally immune against the cold.

What JaeJoong still didn't have, was a saddle.

“You'll have a sore bottom next morning, JaeJoong,” Yunho worried with furrowed eyebrows.

JaeJoong shrugged nonchalantly but he saw Yoochun's grin in his eyes corner and lashed out.

“Ow, what the heck, man! I didn't say anything!” Yoochun exclaimed exasperated.

“Your look was enough,” JaeJoong bantered back, his cheeks coloring lightly, only visible for Vampire eyes.

Thank God, Yunho only regarded them a little moment longer until eyes returned to the road ahead.


They decided travel north first, to get to Dathan, the border river, which separated the Werewolf and Vampire Empire from the Elven Realm and Demon Empire. Then, they would travel the river upstream until the mountain range would begin to be too much. They would travel around it until the very last moment when they would have to cross Mountain Sela.

All in all they would try to avoid villages as their odd gang would rise too much suspicion. An Elf, a Werewolf and two Vampires? That would be too hard to imagine.

They rode the whole night, using seldom used paths and sometimes shortcuts through the wild and streams to give any followers a hard time. Yunho and JaeJoong lead the way, as they saw well enough in the dark. At sunrise, they decided to camp and rest for the morning, only to continue in the afternoon. Junsu almost dropped out of his saddle since he wasn't used to long, extensive riding.

As they stopped at the edge of a clearing, Junsu settled upon some mossy place in the sunlight. Yoochun disappeared behind some bushes. JaeJoong in the meantime searched a tree to lean on to and to doze off. As Yunho had prepared his escape and therefore relaxed the day before, he volunteered to do the first watch. Yoochun came back as a wolf, slightly larger than the average with a rich brown fur, this being the first time JaeJoong saw him in his form. He curled himself down, an arm length away from Junsu.Yunho chuckled and turned to scout the area.

JaeJoong looked after him and sighed to eventually close his eyes, surrendering to some well needed rest.

 

 

 


JaeJoong's eyes snapped open when he felt a hand on his shoulder shaking him awake.

“Hu?”

“Come on, JaeJoong, it's your turn,” Yunho mumbled.

“Alright.” JaeJoong blinked a few more times to get rid of the sleep and looked at Yunho who was still hovered over him.

“Something the matter?” JaeJoong asked, because Yunho looked as if he wanted to say something.

Yunho only shook his head and stood up.

JaeJoong regarded his retreating back a moment longer and then gazed over to their other two companions. Junsu had rolled over and now cuddled close to the soft looking fur, Yoochun purring slightly- although JaeJoong could tell him that never, has he would chop of his head for even uttering Yoochun's name and 'purr' in the same sentence.

Smiling, he stood up and stretched himself.

Looking for the sun, he noticed how Yunho had woken him quiet late. He snorted. As a soldier of several years, he was used to sleep deprivation and could work well with it, whereas Yunho surely wasn't.

Stubborn Vampire Prince.

As Yunho had settled down for rest, JaeJoong let his senses out. He closed his eyes and filtered the noise around him: the nibbling of a squirrel, the tweeting of the birds – and the hooves of a young tusker. JaeJoong opened his eyes and ran to the animal on light feet. His aim was to make it unconscious. Yoochun would prefer a fresh heart and Yunho and him warm blood. Junsu will have some nice meat to go with the berries he found on the way.

The tusker was now in sight, blind to the danger close by.

JaeJoong smiled and jumped forward.

 

 


When Yunho woke, the air was filled with the smell of smoke. Turning to its source, Yunho found JaeJoong and Yoochun sitting next to campfire, a tusker lying beside them. Yunho frowned when he saw the two's heads huddled together. As he sat up, the two looked up and acknowledged him with a nod but soon engaged again, the words spoken not audible for him as both parties spoke too low, both species having heightened hearing.

He remembered all the times he had looked for Yoochun and found him together with the knight, in the same position as now, knees touching and body contact without any borders.
Yunho sometimes didn't know whether Yoochun was serious with Junsu or just a big flirt.

Yunho began to pack up his things again with so much force that Areli stepped aside slightly, until somebody grabbed its reins.

“Ssshh, calm down, little one,” Junsu tried to sooth the animal.

Junsu patted Areli a few times on the head, hand still lingering there when his gaze wandered from Yunho to the two men sitting at the fire.

“They are just friends,” Junsu told Yunho quietly as they both looked at the heads huddle together. “Believe me, he would never hurt me or you that much.”

Yunho was astonished and slightly ashamed of how well people, or Junsu, seemed to read him, but tried to take it with humor.

“That obvious, hu? So why would he hurt you?” Yunho teased Junsu.

The latter didn't deny anything and blushed slightly. “I admit, we are quite an unusual pair, I somehow have grown fond of him, though why I can't fathom.” Yunho chuckled and looked back at the fire. “Let's go and see what they are talking about.”

The Elf and the Vampire strode over and as they approached they others sat up straighter.

“We talked about the way we'll take,” Yoochun offered.

Yunho looked startled as he and Junsu sat down. “Why, I thought we cleared that up already?”

Yoochun and JaeJoong shared a look until Yoochun continued. “Yes, but we talked about after we reach Sela.”

“What Yoochun means are the circumstances there. He knows the country best.”

“Sela has to be climbed, the way around and back will cost us another three days. There is a town close by where we could leave the horses. I flash my Ambassador badge and we could tell the villagers how we an Elf to Sela for some rare herbs, which only grow there, and to solidify our relations with the Vampires we have some with us. How does that sound like?”

Yunho shrugged.

“Sounds like a plan. As long as we get there fast because I don't want to lose more time. The Demons have something up their sleeves.”

“You think they want to enter the human world, like centuries ago?” Yunho nodded. “Before the Demons can enter the human world, they have to conquer all other countries.

“Back then, they erected chaos among them, humans looking for witches born in the midst and burning them alive. It had needed the joined forces of the wolves, elves, vampires and even the creatures of the depth of the sea to banish the Demons from our country.”

“So how does the Temple of Consiliua help in all of this?” Junsu asked.

Three pairs of eyes closed in on him.

“What?” Junsu exclaimed defensively.

“Weren't you the first one to be strongly against going there? I figured you knew about it and therefore didn't want to go!” Yunho explained.

“No, I was only against it because I know it's in the Consiliua mountain range, in the Werewolf Empire close to the Demon's border. That's why I was against it!” Junsu pouted. Apparently everyone knew the story but him.

“The legend tells us that at that time, a Commander of the Werewolves, an officer of the Vampires and their Medi Elf traveled through the country to seek help from the Gods of the East, who reside at the Temple of Consiliua. Furthermore it says the Gods woke the power slumbering in them and therefore revealing their true being which helped them conquer the Demons. It's said they had incredible gifts.” JaeJoong recounted.

Yunho gave him a long glace.

“You know the story pretty well.” JaeJoong shrugged. “History lesson.”

“Wow, so that means we could be in some pretty deep , soon,” Junsu exclaimed but as soon as he realized what he said and in whose company he slapped his hand to his mouth. With huge eyes he regarded Yunho. But the other three men just laughed at him. Junsu's cheeks turned red and he laughed slightly himself.

“Ok, I think we should settle some ground rules. We are men with a mission, not only for my people but yours as well and therefore we should let go of all this courtesy and just be who we truly are, alright? You are all older than me and mostly have more experience with camping out than I so I look forward to learn from you,” Yunho declared.

“Let's do a toast,” Yoochun suggested, immediately grabbing two other flasks sitting near his feet, as JaeJoong already had one in his hand and another apparently used by Yoochun leaning against his own leg.

“Hear, hear!” Junsu giggled and took the offered flask.

“To the Quest of Sela,” Yoochun began

“To the Quest of Sela,” the three joined in.

Just as Yunho wanted to take his drink, like everyone else, he heard some whispered words.

You will make a good king for your people one day.

He immediately looked up, sure it had been JaeJoong but the other was drinking and immediately began a conversation with Junsu when he had finished.

Lost in thought, Yunho almost didn't notice how the drink was some blood from the tusker.

 

 


Before they left the camp, they had some meat from the tusker who began to stir shortly after their toast.

They traveled for the rest of the day and when the sun started to set, they heard the tell tale noise that Dathan was close. For the next couple of days they traveled the stream up, winning height steadily.

Junsu occasionally shot some animals with his bow and arrow, although he mostly ate roots and fruits he found in the forest. He was quite skilled with the bow but he lacked combat fighting techniques. Yoochun tried to remedy that by teaching him when they camped or took some rest, because the Gods might help them somehow but they surely wouldn't fight their battles for them.

Junsu, who is a passionate learner, however, was impatient with his progress and therefore made a lot of effort and his frustration found their target in Yoochun who in turn also became aggravated.

JaeJoong and Yunho enjoyed their banter from afar, secretly taking bets how long it would take for one of the two to snap. They haven't talked much in the last three days. Junsu and Yoochun had taken the toast to heart and openly spoke with the Prince about his plans for his future of being king. JaeJoong was always reserved as usual, still, his smile proved that he had been listening and enjoying their conversations.

This was one of these moments where they would watch Yoochun's training session, both of them resting against a tree.

“What happened to your sister, Eun-Young was her name, right?“ Yunho suddenly asked, desperately looking for a subject to talk about with JaeJoong.

Immediately, JaeJoong froze. It had been years JaeJoong had thought about her and he admired Yunho for his ability to remember such a small fact about him after they haven't spoken with each other for almost seven years. Yet, he wished Yunho had simply forgotten her.

Yunho noticed JaeJoong's reaction and assumed it to be a rejection.

“I'm sorry JaeJoong. I shouldn't have asked something this private after all this time.”

Dejected, he watched the pair before them again, training hand to hand combat, frustrated with making no pathway at all with the quiet knight.

“No, it is okay. I just- didn't expect that,” JaeJoong admitted some moments later.

Yunho gazed back at him.

“Eun-Young, she- she's dead.”

It still hurt to say these words, he had been in denial so long.

Yunho eyes widened immediately.

“God, JaeJoong, I'm so sorry. I'm such an oaf.”

“You couldn't have known.”

Yunho hesitantly asked his next question.

“What happened?”

JaeJoong's spirit seemed to be far away by the looks of his eyes as he recounted some of his worst days of his life.

“Three years ago I was at a mission. When I returned, Eun-Young had already been dead and burnt. My relatives had simply sent a letter about how she contracted a disease and died in the following.”

There were a few diseases that were so vicious that survival was only guaranteed with a skilled healer close by. Nonetheless it was known that each one was a painful death and his sister was unlucky and he wished he had her with him then at the capital since there were healers available.

JaeJoong had spoken with a detached voice that made Yunho yearn to comfort him and take the pain away. But the only thing he could think of doing was taking Jaejoong’s hand that was lying lifelessly on the ground.

JaeJoong was startled out of his trance and looked at their attached hands. Yunho pressed the hand slightly, trying to convey the words he couldn't say.

Slowly, JaeJoong looked up, the hunted expression in his eyes no longer there.

“Thank you” he said breathlessly.

They continued to watch the Elf and the Werewolf until it was time for dinner, with their hands entwined.