Warm

On Cold Nights like This

 

"Warm" 

 


 

Thunder clasps loudly as heavy rain pours in a wet cacophony down the dark streets of Seoul. The seemingly harmless drops are hammering nails into the window just above Jongin’s head, and he shivers. It’s cold, and it’s loud.

 

Heart pulsing loudly in his ears, Kim Jongin, 182 centimeters of perfectly tan muscle and 19 years of bold living, pulls his blanket up over his eyes in absolute fear. He’s up at 3 in the morning, trembling in his pants as the night sky roars and cries in his ears. Jongin can see bright flashes of light every now and then, even through his protective layer of thin cotton, and he counts the seconds, one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi, to see just how "far away” the thunder is. But it’s obviously a mistake because every time he can only count to one, Jongin gets paranoid and the booming claps just seem to get louder.

 

Thunder. Jongin is terrified of it. To be honest, he’s scared of any loud, sudden sound like the fireworks and spasmodic bursts of smoke or sparks exploded for every stage he’s ever performed on, but thunder gets his heart shriveling and pulsing loudly like nothing else.

 

Breathing ragged and eyes moving rapidly in fright, Jongin pokes his head out of his blanket and looks across the room to where Kyungsoo’s bed is. The older is sleeping just fine as if nothing is wrong, and Jongin can’t understand how he can sleep through all this chaotic din. As he watches though, Jongin realizes that if someone as small as Kyungsoo is unaffected by something as trivial as thunder, then he should be too. So he closes his eyes, taking big, deep breaths as he tries to find that perfect rhythm that will lull him to sleep.

 

B-boom!

 

The sky is screeching again and Jongin’s eyes snap open in paranoia, just in time to see the lightning that flashes into his bedroom window — and it’s way too soon for his liking. The thunder is near. It’s freaking near.

 

Jongin wants to scramble out of bed and slip into Kyungsoo small one because things always feel so much better that way, but then he sees the lump that is his boyfriend (who, by the way, is as dead as a log) and decides against it. Kyungsoo is probably tired, sore from their busy schedules today, and Jongin really shouldn’t bother him. Kyungsoo probably won’t even wake up if Jongin calls for him anyway.

 

B-boom!

 

Jongin has a jolty spasm in his giant burrito-blanket and whimpers loudly as the light flashes in again. And as embarrassing as it is, he cries out dearly for his mother, shutting his eyes closed.

 

Kyungsoo, slightly awakened by Jongin’s sudden squeaks, stirs in his bed and slightly frowns. Jongin is louder than he thinks.

 

“H-Hyung, are you… are you sleeping?” Jongin calls out, though quietly at first just in case Kyungsoo is really asleep. Thankfully, the older hums a bit before he gives his body a new position, and grumbles.

 

“Kyungsoo hyung?” Jongin whispers again, peeping his head out. Kyungsoo lets out a sigh as he frowns again and rubs groggily at his forehead.

 

“What is it, Jongin?” He mutters lazily, barely audible because his voice is laced with sleep and heavy blankets.

 

“I-I’m… I’m scared, hyung,” Jongin honestly squeaks out, bringing his own sheets closer to his body as if doing so will protect him from the loud sounds.

 

B-Boom!

 

The sky rumbles as if on cue and Jongin jolts again in surprise, all the nerves in his body twitching with anxiety. Kyungsoo can hear Jongin's sheets shuffle from his spasm; it's so loud that he has to pinch the bridge of his nose, coupling it with a pair of deeply furrowed eyebrows.

 

“Kim Jongin, you are a grown man.”

 

“B-but h-hyung…” Jongin whimpers, his voice pleading. He doesn’t even try hide it anymore. It's cold and it's scary, and Kim Kai is really just desparate. From the tone of his voice, Kyungsoo knows exactly what Jongin wants, but it’s been a long day today and he really needs his rest.

 

"Jong—"

 

“Hyung, please? Just for today…” Jongin begs, cutting him off; Kyungsoo can almost see the puppy-dog eyes behind his closed ones.

 

“Jongin, come on. Just close your eyes and it’ll all go away, oka-“

 

“Hyu-ung,” Jongin whines, dragging out the syllables like a little child. He stares intently at Kyungsoo who has an arm draped over his eyes, and the thunder booms again but Jongin doesn't flinch anymore.

 

“… God, fine," Kyungsoo finally grumbles, and Jongin bolts out of his blankets faster than lightning — literally, because he’s already out when the bright streak pulses in. "But you’re not crossing the halfway line, okay?”

 

Without an answer, Jongin scrambles toward Kyungsoo’s bed and quietly shuffles in like a chick burrowing into a nest. Kyungsoo feels the bed dip and creak under the younger’s weight and he lets out another sigh. The apparently charasmatic Jongin is such a baby sometimes.

 

Hands frantic and rushing, Jongin lifts the blanket and buries himself under it protectively. The warmth that him in is so, so great — even more so because it’s Kyungsoo’s warmth. His heart calms down and there’s another clasp of thunder, but it’s muffled by the heavy fort that enshrouds him. Jongin isn't so scared any more that Kyungsoo is near him.

 

Squirming closer despite the rules against it, Jongin grunts as he brings himself right next to his boyfriend. Kyungsoo has his back turned to him to take up less space, but Jongin thinks he wouldn’t mind if they didn’t have enough room on the bed together. He’d rather have his arms around Kyungsoo’s small frame anyway. And maybe, he'd even have it the other way around too because he likes being babied by Kyungsoo sometimes. Tonight, however, Jongin feels the need to reclaim his manliness again and hums lightly as he experimentally inches his arm closer.

 

Do Kyungsoo frowns when he feels Jongin’s body sneaking closer to his; the younger’s chest is pressed firmly against his back now  he's so close in fact, that his heat is radiating and Kyungsoo can somewhat feel the steady beating of Jongin’s heart through the layers. Or is it just his own heartbeat? Kyungsoo doesn’t really know.

 

Jongin nuzzles his chin into the crook of Kyungsoo’s neck and breathes in his boyfriend's scent and warmth. His arm is wrapped around Kyungsoo’s perfectly slim waist and Jongin can't help but smile in content. This, he thinks, is what every night should be like, regardless of the weather. Everything is perfect as it is now, and although the sky is still breaking out in spurts of electricity and bone-shattering claps, Jongin doesn’t feel afraid anymore.

 

“Hey Kim Jongin, I said no crossing the line,” Kyungsoo mumbles, but inside, he’s bubbling with tiny little butterflies. His boyfriend always has this effect on him no matter how much he doesn't want him to.

 

Jongin whines a bit and bites playfully into Kyungsoo’s neck, effectively shutting the older up. Jongin smiles and brings his hand up to wipe his saliva away. Kyungsoo tries to keep his cool, but a small smile is slowly inching across his face anyway. Jongin can be extremely caring and affectionate at times.

 

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo half scolds, half whines out. His voice is still low and raspier than usual from his previous slumber, but Jongin is doing a really good job of bringing him back awake as the seconds pass.

 

“Hyung,” Jongin says back softly, answering with his warm hands still lingering by Kyungsoo’s neck. He really loves the smooth curves of the main vocal’s nape, and his hands agree as they slowly massage the tense muscles.

 

Kyungsoo relaxes under Jongin’s magical hands. He’s had a long day and Jongin’s putting the perfect end to it like the good boyfriend he is. Kyungsoo almost purrs as Jongin presses harder in all the right spots, and his fatigue slowly ebbs away as his body loosens up to the touches.

 

“Hyung, am I still not allowed to cross the line?” Jongin asks playfully, pressing a light kiss on Kyungsoo’s soft neck. The older shivers under the sudden change of texture  his neck has always been sensitive.

 

“M-Maybe,” Kyungsoo responds, dizzy with Jongin’s scent that suddenly rushes into his nose. It picks him up and envelops him in an aromatic cloud of roses  Jongin just really likes to use rose-scented body wash.

 

Jongin massages at Kyungsoo’s strained neck again, pressing his thumb in hard where the neck meets his back. It’s not as stiff as before, but it’s still rigid from the day's long hours of dancing and singing. It's been a while since Jongin gave Kyungsoo a massage too, and it feels good to be reminded that the skin feels like silk at every touch. Only Kyungsoo’s neck feels like this.

 

Humming in content, Kyungsoo lets Jongin have his way with him. “You’re so stubborn, you know that?” he says as he keens into the strong, but soothing touches once again.

 

“Only because you’re so stubborn with me, hyung,” Jongin replies, a small smile playing by his lips. The muscles in his hand feel tired, so he brings the massage down a notch and lightly squeezes instead.

 

Kyungsoo tries not to smile because he should really be kicking Jongin out of his bed right now, but the tenderness he feels towards the younger is evident on his face as he enjoys the kisses Jongin rains down on his sensitive neck. The thunder is still rolling and loud as ever, but Jongin seems to have forgotten all about it.

 

“Are you still scared?” Kyungsoo asks just in case, but he can feel Jongin shake his head behind him.

 

“I always feel better when I’m here in bed with you,” Jongin says, somewhat shyly, but it’s still audible over the loud thunder. Perhaps Kyungsoo can hear it because Jongin is so close to his ear — not that he’s complaining.

 

“Why?” Kyungsoo asks, just for the sake of hearing a shy Jongin. He loves it when Jongin gets all red and stuttery – it’s absolutely adorable.

 

Jongin rubs shy circles with his fingers on the smooth curve of Kyungsoo’s neck, occasionally tracing the dip that connects it to his shoulder. He wants to say something but it’s hard, even if Kyungsoo isn’t facing him. Jongin has always been bad at expressing his feelings.

 

“Hmm, Jongin?” Kyungsoo teasingly asks again when Jongin doesn’t answer. He knows that Jongin is blushing madly under the cover of darkness and the way Jongin’s fingers nervously ghost over his neck proves it.

 

“You know why,” Jongin manages to mutter out, now shyly nuzzling his head into the crook of Kyungsoo’s nape. It feels perfect there  like it’s meant to stay that way forever.

 

“Because you like my neck?” Kyungsoo teases. He knows how much Jongin likes to run his fingers along his shoulder, occasionally sliding them over his collarbones because Jongin seems to have developed a strange neck . After brushing over his sensitive skin, Jongin always tiptoes his fingers away, right back to where the curve of his neck starts, and rests his warm hand right there, molding it into the bend he so loves. Jongin likes to smile as he rubs soothing circles on Kyungsoo’s pale skin, and the older can't help but melt every time.

 

“Maybe,” Jongin laughs lightly.

 

“So if I had no neck, you wouldn’t be my boyfriend?” Kyungsoo feigns shock.

 

Jongin just chuckles behind him, bringing his arm back down around Kyungsoo’s waist again. He brings the older closer to him and Kyungsoo feels butterflies tickling at the base of his stomach again as Jongin whispers softly into his ear, “I said maybe, hyung. Not yes.”

 

Kyungsoo grins like an idiot and shuts his eyes closed as he turns his body around to face his silly boyfriend. It’s a wonder how someone as childish as Jongin can be so manly and make him feel so safe and protected at the same time. There are times when Jongin is like a little kid  like when he’s scared of something like thunder, but there are also others when Jongin is the one who wraps his arms around Kyungsoo and lets his head fall into his sturdy chest. Like now.

 

Kyungsoo snuggles closer to Jongin, wrapping his own arms around the younger. They aren't quite able hold all of Jongin like he wants them to, but it’s just enough for Jongin to feel safe. Everything about this moment is perfect to Jongin, and the way Kyungsoo looks up at him from his chest and blinks those eyes adorably is even more perfect. This position is perfect. The way Jongin has to bite his lips is perfect. Kyungsoo is perfect.

 

They’re perfect for each other.

 

Kyungsoo smiles and brings his arms in close to his chest, hands balled into tiny little fists as he squirms up so that his eyes can be leveled with Jongin's. He’s awake now, definitely, and he can see the way Jongin’s eyes are shining under the moonlight that barely shines in through the small slivers their window blinds make. The storm seems to have subsided a while ago – the only traces of the troublesome weather are the small drip-drip sounds coming from the pipes that carry the last of the rain. It’s peaceful now, and it’s definitely warmer with the both of them together in bed.

 

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo calls quietly, and it sounds like an endearment. Maybe it is an endearment.

 

“Hi, hyung,” Jongin answers, the smile on his face too big to kiss away. Kyungsoo does it anyway though, because everything about Jongin is loveable.

 

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo calls again, because it sounds nice on his lips and it makes the younger smile. Kyungsoo really likes it when Jongin smiles because his eyes curve up into little crescents and it’s just about the cutest thing in the whole wide world.

 

“Hi Kyungsoo hyung,” Jongin chuckles out, and it sounds like an endearment. It is an endearment. Kyungsoo smiles back at him and he feels complete – like seeing his smile should be the way a day should start and the way a day should end.

 

Jongin isn't thinking as he reaches in to capture Kyungsoo’s small lips in a gentle kiss, and he loves how perfectly their lips fit, just like his chin fits right into his boyfriend’s nape. It’s soft and slow, the kiss, and Kyungsoo’s hands are still planted and balled firmly on his chest. Jongin reaches for one of them and wraps his hand lovingly around it. He feels Kyungsoo smile — feels it spread on his own — and suddenly, everything is cozy and light. The tips of Jongin’s ears tickle from the heart-racing kiss, and it’s on nights like these that Jongin can’t help but fall a little harder for his boyfriend.

 

All thoughts jumbling into a messy haze, Jongin breaks away, stares deep into Kyungsoo’s round eyes and in there, he sees the whole world. Kyungsoo is everything to him and he’s the only one who can calm him down from the things he’s scared of. Thunders, ghosts, scary monsters, or even big, fat, hairy bugs, Kyungsoo’s small, petite body can knock them all down with just that one smile and everything — everything  feels so much better.

 

“Hyung?” Jongin croaks, voice cracking. The kiss has left him dumbfounded like it always does and Kyungsoo smiles because he knows.

 

“Mmm?” Kyungsoo hums, his gaze flickering to Jongin’s eyes but leaving a few seconds after because he’s somewhat shy. He gazes back into them, repeating the steps because Jongin does weird things to his brain.

 

Jongin’s hand moves up to Kyungsoo’s face and at his cheeks. It’s soft under his fingers and Jongin loves how it feels. The older’s eyes are fixed on him now and Jongin has to swallow because the angle makes his hyung look up at him innocently.

 

Kyungsoo blinks once and it seems like it’s in slow motion to Jongin as he reaches behind Kyungsoo’s head to run his fingers through his hair. It’s soft too – maybe all of Kyungsoo is just soft. His cheeks are soft, his hair is soft, his lips are soft. And… his neck is soft too.

 

Jongin slowly moves his hand down to rub at the back of Kyungsoo’s neck again, and the older smiles because for some reason, Jongin’s hands always end up right back on his neck. Jongin is drawing small circles with his thumb like he always does, but it’s a bit slower this time  maybe it’s unconscious. Kyungsoo blinks again and Jongin feels the whole world tip off its axis with that one small movement. It’s not even a movement actually, but Jongin doesn’t care if it isn't because it doesn’t matter when he leans in to kiss those eyes right as they decide to close again. Kyungsoo bites his lip because this side of Jongin is so, so manly and he likes it that way sometimes too.

 

“Jongin, it’s not raining anymore,” Kyungsoo says as he snuggles shyly into Jongin’s chest. It’s nice in there – he feels protected, even though he’s older.

 

“I know, hyung,” Jongin replies, resting his chin on Kyungsoo’s head. The few stray strands of hair tickle him, but it’s a nice kind of tickling.

 

“Which means there’s no more thunder,” Kyungsoo mumbles into Jongin. The younger smiles at the warmth coming from Kyungsoo’s breath.

 

“I know, hyung,” Jongin says again, pressing a light kiss to Kyungsoo’s crown. His lips linger there for a bit longer as he takes in the scent of Kyungsoo. He smells like roses, just like him because they share the same shampoo and the same body wash. It's something that Jongin really likes for some strange reason.

 

“...Which means you can go back to your bed now,” Kyungsoo says, but he snuggles even deeper into Jongin’s embrace.

 

“But I don’t want to,” Jongin mumbles. He slowly closes his eyes and lets the soothing voice of Kyungsoo lull him to sleep.

 

“But my bed’s too small,” Kyungsoo says, his voice muffled too.

 

“It won’t be if we stay like this,” Jongin replies. A smile is still on his lips as the muscles in his eyes relax. He’s ready to sleep now.

 

“You’re so stubborn, Jongin,” Kyungsoo slurs. His eyes feel heavy with sleep too, now that he’s wrapped in warmth all around. He’s in a cocoon Jongin has made for him, and it’s just the right temperature.

 

“It’s because I love you, hyung,” Jongin says, and a hand goes behind to bring the blankets in to make another burrito with Kyungsoo in it this time.

 

“Jongin?” Kyungsoo calls, and his voice is quieter because he’s falling asleep.

 

“Hi, hyung,” Jongin responds, and it’s an endearment.

 

“I love you, okay?” Kyungsoo breathes softly, and everything feels right.

 

"I love you too, hyung.” Jongin breathes back, because loving Kyungsoo is just like breathing. It’s only obvious and it’s necessary for him to do in order to live. Kyungsoo can easily win any storm, and on nights like these, he’s the one that Jongin can lean on. But it’s also nice to have his protector in his arms like this, because nothing feels better than knowing that everything about them is mutual. Jongin feels himself drift in and out of sleep as he brings his hand back to Kyungsoo’s neck, where it feels the most comfortable. He can vaguely hear the remaining water drippin outside as he Kyungsoo’s nape leisurely.

 

It’s not just the thunder, and it’s not just the neck, but it’s the person that comes with it and Jongin loves Kyungsoo, neck and all.

 

 

 

-  the end -


 

      Author's  note   hello there, beautiful reader! {◕ ◡ ◕}

i finally got the story up!! i'm sorry for taking so long OTL;; i really did not expect all you marvelous 23 subscribers ; u ; but... h-hello there! :D thank you for subscribing! i hope i didn't disappoint? idk, i'm having massive kaisoo feels these days so this... vomit sort of happened. LOL; but yeah, thank you for reading! ❤ love you all!

xoxo,

Heidi

PS! thanks a million to lovely danhobak for the poster, bg, and chapter banner used for this story ! :D go check out her shop ◜kaisoo heaven ♥카이수천국♥◞! ^^