Meeting

Maybe Fate

You helped your friends set up some beach umbrellas and beach towels, applied sunscreen, and quickly ran towards the cold water. The first big tide came unexpectedly. You had bent down to pick some seaweed that was stuck on your foot, and then the next thing you knew- you were knocked over by the ocean tide.

“OOF!” You let out an alien sound when you landed first on the wet sand. So much salt water had gotten into your eyes that it stung and you could not open them. You tried to rub them, but that just worsened it.

“Do you need help?” You heard a sweet voice belonging to a male ask.

You blindly looked up, still unable to open your eyes. You probably looked like an absolute fool, but that was the last thing you cared about right now.

“Yes, please!” You said.

“Here, let me help you up.” You felt the male grab both your wrists and helped you up. Next, you felt something wet against your eyes. “This is just a clean towel with water. It’ll help you relieve the sting in your eyes.”

“Thank you.” You whispered. After a few moments, you blinked continuously to open your eyes again. The sting had mostly gone away, so that was good.

“Does it still burn?”

You began to reply and finally looked up at the male who had helped you.

“No, thank y—“ OH MY GOD… He’s freaking handsome! You thought. You just awkwardly paused midsentence.

“Is something wrong?” He asked, clearly concerned.

“No, no, not at all!” You were flustered. “T-thanks to you, I’m 110% fine now!” You puffed out your chest proudly. Oh , that was a bad move. You thought. You had no chest. You immediately reversed your actions.

“Thank god.” He smiled. As he smiled, you stared at him like a creep, especially at his dimple on his left cheek. When he smiled, it felt like the sun was coming out…

“When you smile, sun shines…” You said while in a state of mind that was clearly not on planet Earth.

“Huh? What did you say?” The boy inched closer, trying to hear what you said.

“WOAH I DIDN’T SAY ANYTHING!” You swore you jumped at least 5 inches backwards, if that was even possible.

Seeing you jump so far back, the boy took it as you were scared of him.

“Oh, I’m s-sorry.” He bowed a perfect 90 degrees.

“W-w-wait, why are you apologizing??”

“I think I’ve scared you…”

“Scared me? Oh no no no! Not at all! I’m nothing less than thankful to you!”

“Really? I’m relieved to hear that…” He smiled again. Oh my god, will you stop that already... It’s killing me…

“Yeah, well I’m going to go play in the water some more, see you sometime, okay?” You waved. You were a hundred percent sure you weren’t going to see him again.

“Have fun and be careful!” He waved back.