Three

A Piece Of Heart

Sulli looked blank and did not know to the man who forcibly is preventing her leaving this room. His face was unreadable, but firmly.

When the words finally understood of her frantic brain, Sulli jerked her shoulder from the man’s hand and took a few steps.

“You must have lost your senses, Minho-shi.”

“I admit that if I let you out of this house without knowing exactly who you are and why you came to the house this afternoon.”

He turned and walked to the door. Twisting the body to look her again, he said, “As for now, I’m quite sane.” He throws a charming smile and friendly which made Sulli shaking with anger. “Excuse me. There’s something that I had to take care of it. Relax. This room is yours.”

“Go to hell,” Sulli hissed.

His smile is even more broadly. “Thank you.”

Just two steps he were gone, Sulli has opened the door. With accurate precision, Minho is turning and looked at her.

“You can not lock me in here like a prisoner!” Sulli shout.

“Can not? Anyone who dared to stop me?” he challenged, somewhat relaxed now because he saw that Sulli is not dangerous.

Sulli opened to blurt out spicy answers, but nothing came out. It is true, who would dare to stop him? Her shoulders fell unconscious when she heaved a heavy sigh. Why did she fight with this stone? She was able to deal with anything tonight. Tomorrow morning, this man will be calling to Busan, confirm her identity, her purpose is looking for Choi Siwon will satisfies her, then she would not need to meet this man again.

Choi Minho is oversees her and almost read the thoughts that crossed in her mind. His job is look at what is actually people’s thinking, people’s feeling, no matter what they say, and he was well educated.

Damn! She’s so beautiful, he thought. When the door was open and he saw her standing on the porch like a figure of a fashion magazine, his stomach feels like being punched. Of course, the first punch is forgotten and replaced by his professional vigilance immediately. But still, he could not stop looking at her.

This woman is not only beautiful and y. She had guts and brain. She is not timid and cowardly woman who usually can be conquered with my accusing eyes. Choi Sulli repeatedly challenged him. Damn, it could say that I almost enjoying our bickering.

He should not kiss this woman. He could die if anyone knows about it. And Sulli was true. The way of he ransacked her was too much. Admit it you just want to touch her body.

Damn, the men only can looked and saw all the curves and twists solid her body behind a nice fitted suit. Damn! Price of the suit is the same as a week salary and it feel hurts.

He watched her now as Sulli bit her lip filled with small teeth, neat, and white. This woman was not a criminal and he knew it. Her story was too fantastic to simply as the hoax. If the truth had been know should he let her go easily and told one of his subordinate to watching her.

Then why he did not do it?

Minho was educated to have a face that can not be read and without expression. Therefore she does not see any evidence of Minho that involve her when she looked at his face. She decided to accept this unpleasant situation as best as she could.

“It seems I have no choice, Minho-shi. I will stay here until morning at which point I hope that you call whoever you need to prove that I’m telling you all were right.”

“I appreciate your cooperation,” he mocked.

Sulli resist the urge to slap his smug face and asked, “May I see Sooyoung unnie? We have not met with deserved and she is my sister-in-law. Definitely this time is torture her.”

“I do not mind. I’ll have her here. For now, I’d rather you stay in this room.”

“I promise I will not run away.”

“Good.” He walked away.

He has no sense of humor, thought Sulli when returned to paneled room. This man was not human. In his veins there’s only ice water. But she must be praised him because he’s not be half-hearted in the work. However, he is the government agent with a very difficult task. Surely he trained with full discipline for years. Now she understood why his eyes as never miss a thing. From the moment when he opened the front door, Sulli feels as if he saw all her movements and read every her mind.

Sulli moved to the window and looked outside. She swallowed with difficulty. Hopefully Minho did not read all of her thoughts. Some of her thoughts were concerning that man and she wanted to keep it for herself.

Her heart froze when he said that she would spend the night with him. Of course, it’s just an expression. That’s not what he meant. It just sounds like he mean it. But her pride could be lost if that man knew how great a result of his words on her.

Her cheeks flushed as she remembered the deep and long kiss in the kitchen. She lifted her hands, holding her hot cheek when she thought of how she responds his kiss before Sooyoung appeared. Even when she thought that he was her brother, she just felt a little guilty for kissing him back. Has she immediately attracted to kind of the man like this?

She looked at the glittering wide gold diamond ring on her finger and smiling wistfully. Jong-in would not be happy if he knew that there was another man who had been kissed her. Obviously Jong-in will be angry because Jong-in was never touched even kissed her. Sulli has refused or turned away when Jong-in made it clear his intention to touch her. Sulli know it’s not fair to Jong-in. Six years ago when he urged her to accept the engagement ring she did just that so Jong-in stop pestering her.

 

-Flashback-

“Come on, Honey. Wear it.”

“But, Jong-in–“

‘I know, I know, dear, you’re still afraid to marry again. Promise I will not push you to set the wedding day, as long as you wear this engagement ring. Besides, if I take it back to the jeweler, tomorrow all people around in Busan will know that Kim Jong-in rebuffed.” He bowed his head with resignation style. As usual, Sulli can not stand of his foolishness.

Laughing, she pushed his strapping shoulder. “Oh, never mind. Don’t droll like that. Thousands of women are willing to wear an engagement ring from legendary Kim Jong-in.”

“But only there’s a woman that I wanted, dear.” His voice was no longer heard joking, and he was so serious. Sulli knew he was serious. That factor makes complicated.

They were dating for over a year. Jong-in was powerful man in Busan, always behind the scenes, but has a sharp sword in the business community. Only a few major business transactions which does not knew or following by Jong-in.

He was favored the newspaper and television reporters. He lured them with the image of carefree rural youth but shy. Yet at the head of the dark-haired operate a smart brain which can steer the victims and use them without realized concerned.

In dating by Kim Jong-in is not a small victory, and Sulli envied because the fact that rare. If she’s together with him, she was treated like a queen, and it was fun. But then she began to realize that the feelings of Jong-in turns into something more powerful than the feeling of affection, and she can not reciprocate. Although she liked him, felt respect for his business shrewdness, and happy with him, but she does not love him.

“I’ll wear this ring, Jong-in. But please understand this is not a binding commitment. I still do not want to get married in the near future. And it does not mean I will change my mind about... about...”

“Sleep with me?” he asked gently as possible.

Sulli looked into his eyes. “Ne.”

“You are the most stubborn woman I’ve ever met,” he said irritably. Then he chuckled. “Maybe that’s why I love you, Baby.” He hugged her tightly, and formalized their engagement with a kiss on her forehead.

Strangely, since then Jong-in was never asked her to sleep with him. Until then, that’s always a source of tension between them.

“After all, you’re not anymore,” Jong-in sneer her when for the first time Sulli declined his invitation to stay at his mansion in Busan. “For God’s sake, you’re ever getting married.”

Sulli insisted that time and continue to be so. Apparently, because she had received his ring which stated that she belongs to him, Jong-in finding other woman to discharge his ual frustate. Sulli thanked to unidentified woman–perhaps more than one– who gave him something that Sulli could not give.

-Flashback End-

 

Incheon afternoon sunset appear the rainbows on the surface of the diamond when Sulli twist it. She sighed. So when she back to Busan she should frank on Jong-in. She used the excuse of looking for her brother and that’s long enough. Jong-in certainly hope that they will have a plan wedding soon. If before this she hesitated, after feeling kisses of Choi Minho, and for now she know for sure that she would never marry Kim Jong-in.

Her musings were interrupted when the door opened. She turned and saw Sooyoung’s brown head peered inside.

“Miss Choi?” She asked timidly. “Minho said that you wanted to see me.”

Sulli laugh. She was in this woman’s house, but it looks like the hostess even asked her permission to enter the room. Quickly she crossed the room and reached out to her sister-in-law. “Unnie.”

The woman closed the door and welcomed Sulli’s hand. Their long-sighted, sizing each other up, and then embraced.

Sulli’s heart is sinking when she felt sobs shook of Sooyoung’s slender figure. Sulli does not mind her silk blouse was wet with tears. She rubbed Sooyoung’s long straight hair and comforting her, saying everything will be fine.

Her eyes filled with tears when Sooyoung’s sorrows were poured out and she moved away from Sulli. “We act like the fools, huh?” Sulli said. “Let’s sit here and talk.”

“Mianhae, Miss Choi.” Sooyoung sobbed. “I need to do that since Siwon oppa...since he...did what he does. I can not understand it.” She shook her head sadly, staring grimly at Sulli’s face.

“Please call me Sulli.”

“Do you really his sister?” she asked hopefully.

“Sure as possible the current situation,” said Sulli mean seriously.

“You look just like him,” said Sooyoung, looked at Sulli’s face fixedly.

“Really?” Sulli said with a laugh, glad to hear it. “Do you have his picture?”

“Sure. A lot.” Sooyoung quickly rose from the couch, tears and sadness momentarily forgotten, and opened a desk drawer–a table that had been leaned by Choi Minho, Sulli unconscious thought, and hated herself for letting the mind of man had entered her brain. “It’s our wedding pictures,” said Sooyoung.

“How long have you married?” did she ever ask that on Minho? His answer was not clear.

“Four years,” Sooyoung said as she flopped to Sulli’s side and open the big white album. “This is it.”

Sulli slowly is taking the photo album of Sooyoung and lifted it. She was very nervous when looking at picture of the man who was smiling. The picture begins to blur when her eyes moistened and Sulli impatiently wiped her eyes so she could more clearly see the picture. Siwon was tall, rising beside the bride who looked adored at him. His hair as dark as her hair, and combed straight back. His eyes were a family trait. His eyebrows arched over his eyes, just like Sulli’s eyebrows. His mouth is not too full, his lip was narrow, but their resemblance is amazing.

“He was very handsome, huh?” commented her with a raucous voice. is choked.

“Yes,” agreed Sooyoung. “I instantly fell in love with him as soon as I entered the bank and see a teller behind the counter. I asked to abeoji who is that new employee, but he did not know his name. I’m willing to ask around to find out!”

“Your abeoji worked at the same bank with Siwon oppa?”

“He was president and chairman in there,” Sooyoung comments dismissively as she turned the sheets of album.

Sulli is digesting this information, nodding while Sooyoung showed the other pictures. Sulli will see it more clearly later. The fact that Sooyoung’s abeoji and his high position at the bank where her brother worked was bothering her mind. Is Siwon oppa feel annoyed too? Could that be the reason why is he fraud the money?

“Forgive my inquisitive attitude, unnie. I want to know as much as possible about my brother. You’re younger than him, right?”

“Yes,” she admitted, her eyes lowered. “He was two years older than me. My eomeoni and my abeoji were furious when we tell our plans to them. We’re backstreet and dating secretly. Guess from the beginning I knew that they did not approve about me had a relation with Siwon oppa. They want me to go out with their friend’s children who play tennis and golf at the club every day and sailing on every weekend. I’m not interested in anyone. I fell in love when Siwon oppa was kissing me for the first time and he apologized for doing so.” Her brown eyes sparkled when she added, “I told him, I do not mind.”

But your parents mind, thought Sulli.

Sounds knocked slowly before the doors open and Minho stepped entrance. “What are you guys like to have dinner? I would go to buy Chinese food if you agree.”

Sulli is amazed with his insensitivity. He treats this odd situation like a family picnic.

“I think Chinese food is good,” Sooyoung said cheerfully. “Do you like it, Sulli-ah? If not, we can order other food.”

“I think the prisoner should only eat bread and drink water,” said Sulli directly on Minho.

He glared at her briefly with his cold brown eyes before snarling, “Only the prisoners who smart .” The door slammed shut.

“Brutal,” muttered Sulli after he left.

“Minho?” Sooyoung asked with a tone of wonder. “Well, he was the kindest man that I’ve ever met! After Siwon oppa, of course.”

Sulli looked at her with surprise mixed confused. “You can not be serious! Say he can invasion your house and your life. Those he ruled as a dictator and expect everyone scramble to obey. He violated your privacy to the most severe level.”

“He’s just doing his duty, Sulli-ah,” Sooyoung said slowly. “Siwon oppa involved in a big trouble, you know. When Minho came here, he apologized profusely. Spent hours questioning me, he was very polite, and calm me when I’m scared and worried about Siwon oppa and what he had done. Minho persuaded me to remember things that never would have remembered without his help, things that might help them track Siwon oppa. I would do anything for helped them. I want them to find Siwon oppa and take him home. I want to know that my husband was safe.”

Sulli sympathize with this woman, she even hope that Choi Siwon discovered soon. But she was surprised to hear Sooyoung’s describe about Choi Minho with the terms are so good. It words “polite”, “apologized”, “persuade” does not match with that man’s attitude to her.

Why is Sulli suspected of involvement in the crime when he clearly did not consider that Sooyoung colluding with Siwon? That agent treats Sulli with physically and verbally abusive since her arrival. What had she done so she was treated so rudely?

 

-------------------------------------

 

Sooyoung insisted that, even in situations like this, Sulli’s arrival to her home is have to be celebrate, she persuaded Tae Min that Allow Sulli left the office room and helped her set the table. Use tablecloths, porcelain and the best crystal. Sooyoung set the table in details as creating dishes important meal.

Her efforts is touched the hearts and somewhat depressing. She looks much younger than her age which 25 years. Although she recognizes the seriousness of Siwon’s theft, Sulli doubt that Sooyoung really understand. Naivety and blind faith is evident in all her words and deeds.

The three of them were laughing to see the errant napkins that do not want to stand on porcelain dishes like Sooyoung wishes when Minho entering the dining room door.

His face was contorted with upset when looked at Sulli sharply. Without hiding the feeling upset seeing her outside the room where she was detained, he sprayed Tae Min.

“Uh... I... She... I mean, Mrs. Choi believes...”

Tae Min stuttered before Minho mercilessly interrupted and said “Let’s eat before all of this cold.”

Tae Min let out a sigh of relief and looked at Sulli as though of blame for her actions. He hurriedly helped Minho bring some Chinese lunchbox. Box of white pasteboard it looks doesn’t match with fine line tablecloths and sparkling crystal, but nobody seems to notice when they sit around the table.

Sulli is watching closely when Minho help Sooyoung sitting. His manner was attentive, and his eyes seemed to soften any obvious looking at her. With a beaming Sulli letting Tae Min pulled her chair. She smiled at him and said, “Thank you.” She did not look hard and sharp views that Tae Min received from his boss.

Sooyoung explained to Minho why does she fuss-over using the best tableware and set the table in the dining room. “Not every day people knew that I have a sister-in-law is pretty and kind. If there is Siwon oppa,” her voice trembled a little, “I’m sure that he would want to celebrate the emergence of his sister, who never he thought.”

“Did your husband ever tell you that he has a sister who is separated from him?” Minho asked softly. His beguiling tone and just for Sooyoung. When he looked Sulli, Sulli is shuddered if seen as cold as it.

“No. But, if he knew, he would never tell me. He’s definitely glad to met Sulli. I’m sure.”

“Miss Choi.” Sulli jumped when Minho talking to her. “In the quest to meet this family, is there any progress about your parents?”

If asked by other people, Sulli definitely think the question does make sense. But she knew that Minho was just giving feedback that he hoped she would be struck.

“Unfortunately, no. The Nun who told me about Siwon oppa just remembered that my mother took us. She does not remember anything about her or why she was... why she...” As usual when talking about this subject, her vocal cords were tight, causing her difficult to add the last words, “left us.”

There was silence as people stop eating. There was no silverware clink collided with porcelain, not hear pieces of ice in the glass, no one spoke. Sooyoung finally broke into the atmosphere rigidity when said with a sweet, comforting Sulli like a child, “Maybe she had a very strong reason, Sulli-ah.”

Sulli calmed down and looked at Sooyoung. Smiling, she said, “Yeah, maybe.”

The next conversation was calm. Only once Minho makes Sooyoung laugh when he tells his adventures which he said actually happened, but according to Sulli it’s very improbable. That man was probably just experiencing normal incidence and spice it up so that it sounds more exciting.

Sulli inevitably praised him and because he entertaining Sooyoung made her momentarily forget the problems that have overthrown her world. She even reluctantly to forgive Minho because he just bought Chinese food which eaten by Sooyoung voraciously.

“Tae Min, when you’re done, why do not you go across the street and replacing one of them so he could go buy food? Then after all their affairs sorted out for tonight, come back and report to me.”

“Of course, hyung. Excuse me.” Tae Min excused himself with a unique way, sparing of words.

“What’s there across the street?” Her curiosity is won and she could not refrain from asking questions which she granted.

“Minho’s team stationed there. They keep an eye on this house, keep track all of phone, things like that. We should not pick up the red phone. The phone was tapped. Fortunately that house was empty exactly when they need to lease it.” Sooyoung’s eyes were wide with excitement, but Sulli see Minho’s eyes were gleamed upset. He was not so happy to hear Sooyoung explain it at length.

“It’s about time to you got back to the office room, Miss Choi,” he said firmly and gripping her upper arm and pulled Sulli up from chair.

“I guess I have to help Sooyoung unnie to clean up,” Sulli protested, trying to free her arm. Her efforts were in vain.

“I’ll help her,” he said.

Sulli stumbled down the corridor followed him, barely able to catch up with the length of his steps. When they reached the door of the room, she wrenched her arm and looked at him angrily. “Should you drag me like that?”

“Your arm hurt?” he asked quickly. Did she really hear the genuine concern in his voice. That man’s hand back into her arm, but this time when he touched it, his touch like a caress, as if he wanted to heal the bruises may place his fingers due to a moment ago.

Sulli can feel the warmth of his hand on her silk blouse sleeve when Minho rubbed her arm. Radiating sensation from his fingers, creeping arms, enveloped her, make it bloom, puffed out her chest.

His hands so comfortable when he kept rubbing her arm gently, so Sulli felt a strange impulse to lean on his chest which hard, strong and looking more comfort.

Is not there a study about the extraordinary relationship that grows between the captive and the captor? The captive is not so dependent on her captor, even to fall in love?

The possibility was burning her brain and shook the foundations of her soul. She moved away from him, suddenly afraid of the very real physical threat from him. She must have just imagined his softness instant attitude, because when Sulli looked back at his face, the expression of that man is scary and grim, as she knew all along.

She heard his cursing as he turned and walked down the corridor.