Chapter 5

The Melancholy Sound of the Guitar

The chill struck her stomach and moved up her chest as she strolled, leaving her shocked and gasping for breath. The tiny sea currents started to tickle her feet playfully, but she still continued to wade. The wet sand oozed between her toes, holding her there.

She closed her eyes, imagining that her father was beside her, and she could hear her father's voice whispering in her ear: "Jiyeon, my little princess, what are you going to do? Let me tell you something. Life is nothing but a series of problems in front of us. Whatever it is that is depressing you, understand that it is there in order for you to overcome it and develop in this crazy world. You didn't stop walking just because you fell down as a child, did you? So, don't give up on your life, understand?" 

She shook her head. "Dad, my entire world has fallen apart. How do I find hope in a brand-new day when the one I love has gone away!" she screeched. "I don't have anyone in my life; no one wants me. I feel so helpless; I'm tired of being alone and suffering. I feel life isn't worth living. I want to be with you, Dad!" 

Without thinking, Jiyeon went deeper. Step by step, until the cold water bathed her thighs. Before she could take another step, she heard a familiar guitar melody carried on the breeze. It was so beautiful and restful. The girl felt her body being taken over by the warmth of the melody. 

A wave came and crashed onto her, but she remained standing there. She pricked up her ears, listening to the susurration of the strings. She placed her right hand on her chest, feeling like she was floating on the air. Her face slowly brightened as she recognized the melody—it was the melody of Greensleeves. Her father played this piece every night before she fell asleep.

Her father had once told her that this piece was her mother's favorite. The soothing melody truly took her mother to a place of tranquility and peace. When he played it, he felt like her mother was there by his side. This piece had the ability to put him into a dream-like state where he felt many of the same powerful emotions he did in his dreams. 

The girl could still remember the way her father played this piece vividly. His brow furrowed in concentration; his dexterous fingers glided effortlessly across the fretboard of his instrument to produce a hauntingly beautiful melody. Sometimes, he closed his eyes and pursed his mouth while playing, really feeling the music. 

Watching her father's finger movements, Jiyeon's fingers plucked at invisible strings on her thigh with a sweet grin. It was an unconscious action that occurred whenever she watched people play the guitar. Her father decided to teach her how to play the guitar once he noticed his daughter's habit. He taught her the basics of guitar after busking. By just listening to the song, she could play it directly on the guitar without even looking at any chords or guide that made him feel proud of his daughter's musical ability. She could play a dozen songs by ear when she was six.

Her reverie was soon broken as she heard her father's voice again: "My little princess, you're wrong. You're not alone. You have a guitar, and it loves you playing it. If you die, who will take care of it? That guitar was the love of my life. Jiyeon, Dad is still here; I'm right by your side each night and day. I'm always near you, and you need to know that love isn't always going to be happy. There's going to be ups and downs. If you hate yourself, then you need to learn to love yourself, and if you love yourself, you are in peace with everything in your life.

Her father's voice sounded so sad, but his words were like a soothing balm on her aching heart. "Dad, I'm not your little princess anymore. I'm a grown woman." She glanced over her shoulder to look at her guitar. Her eyes widened and she quickly rubbed them, as though she couldn't quite believe her eyes at what she saw. 

Jiyeon closed her eyes, took a deep breath and slowly let it out before she turned away from the horizon and faced the shore. There was Park Yongha, sitting down on the sand, the guitar on his lap, dressed in a pair of white pants and a long-sleeve white shirt to hug his muscular physique. He had short, straight, black hair, tan skin, a trim goatee, and soft brown eyes. A warm, happy feeling swept through her; tears of joy leaked out of her eyes, and she blinked, clearing her eyes of tears. And then a big, broad smile came over her face as the one who she was longing for, waved his hand, gesturing for her to come closer.

"Dad, I'm sorry for disappointing you. I'm sorry for not being strong enough," Jiyeon mumbled as she began moving out of the water. She walked across the water to the shore as fast as she could. They exchanged smiles when she reached the shoreline.

He set the guitar down on the sand before he stood up. "Jiyeon, my little princess, come here." Mr. Park grinned widely, showing off his perfect dimples as he extended his arms to hug her. That dimples reminded her of her lover who had dumped her. Perhaps it was one of the reasons why she fell deeply in love with Myungsoo. 

Myungsoo had beautiful dimples and amazing guitar skills like her beloved father whom she admired so much. She gave him a nod and strode over to him. Just as she was about to hug him, he vanished in the blink of an eye. 

She was incapable of uttering a sound—unable to move. Finally, after what seemed an eternity, but was probably no more than a few minutes, she found herself able to move again. "Dad, where are you? Don't go!" She spun around, looking for him, but the beach was empty, no one else there.  

"My little princess, as long as you keep me alive in your heart, I'll never wander out of your sight," her father's voice echoed through her head. "Jiyeon, no matter how down you feel, just keep fighting making yourself strong, don't give up until your demise. Whenever I felt down, I would get out my guitar and pick at it. Playing it always soothed me. Once again, I tell you, don't ever give up. There is always someone out there who cares for you and loves your music. Grab your guitar and play. Let your best friend soothe your aching soul." 

The girl seemed unable to believe what she had just witnessed, experienced and happened to her. She slowly slumped down on the sand and stared at her guitar, a pensive expression on her face. 

Jiyeon's clothes were wet from their contact with the salty water, and the breeze made her shudder. She curled up into a tight ball, hugging her knees to her chest, trying to stop shivering. Hours passed; the sun dried her clothes, and eventually she felt warm again. She still lay there motionless like a corpse with her eyes closed. It seemed like she was pondering her father's words.