Chapter 3

The Melancholy Sound of the Guitar

She didn't want to believe what she had just heard. Did he really wish that she was dead? His words must have pierced her heart like a barbed spear; tears kept pouring down her cheeks like raindrops falling to the ground. She blinked rapidly, trying to stop the tears from spilling down her cheeks. Then she in deep breaths to calm herself down before she twisted her head around slightly just to see a handsome boy with a dark grey hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans, a dark colored-knit hat and black hiking boots, standing a few feet away from her with a black guitar case slung over his shoulder. 

He had a bright smile on his face as he waved his hand at her. The girl didn't know why she wanted to run away as he approached her, but she couldn't. It was like her whole body was surrounded by ice; she couldn't move an inch. All she could do was to squeeze her eyes tightly shut. 

Her huge, doe-like eyes fluttered open as she felt something cool press against her cheek, wiping her tears away with a tender caress, and she was sure it was his hand. "Why did you stop playing? Are you afraid of me?" the handsome boy inquired, his hand still resting on her cheek. His voice was soft and sweet as molasses as he spoke: "Jiyeon, I won't eat you, so calm down. Your music has always touched my soul. It's rare to hear an exquisite melody; it brings such emotions. It's one of the reasons why I fell for you. I miss hearing your music, so please continue."

Jiyeon gripped the guitar's neck tightly as he flashed her a big smile, showing his beautiful dimples before he placed his guitar case on the pavement and crossed his legs as he sat, facing her. The boy looked at the pedestrians, who were still standing before her, and gave a hand signal indicating to them to leave. One of them rolled his eyes while the other shook their heads in annoyance and continued on their way.

"Jiyeon, why do you keep quiet?" he questioned, letting his gaze focus on her trembling mouth before looking straight into her eyes. 

She had no clue why he acted as if nothing had happened between them, or maybe he had forgotten all what he had done to her. She had just managed to get out of the memories of him, but why did he come to her again?

Myung, you said my music was one of the reasons that you fell for me, and you missed hearing it. What does it mean? Do you still love me? If you do, why do you treat me so mean?  Jiyeon willed herself to look back into his eyes, as if trying to find love in them. She wished she could see the love glistening in his eyes like she did whenever they made eye contact when they were together, but now the only she could see was the lust glimmering in his eyes—the lust for her body.

Myungsoo's lips curled into a smirk as he tenderly touched her face, teasing her lips with his fingertips and tracing the contours of her face, which made her heart beat faster in her chest. Jiyeon bit her bottom lip, attempting to fight back the sob threatening to burst from as he whispered, "Jiyeon, I know you're not that innocent, so let's do that, and I'll bring you back." 

She instantly slapped his hand away as she gave him the angriest, yet hurtful, glare he had ever seen. Myungsoo let out a big sigh and said, "Your eyes are like diamonds, even though they're hazel. I frown when I see you shed tears in sorrow. I slowly die inside; it hurts me down to my core, so please smile. You know your smile is like a beautiful butterfly that makes me feel good when it comes by. It's also one of the reasons I fell for—"

"Kim Myungsoo, stop saying those sweet nothings! Did you forget what you told me when you kicked me out of your apartment?" Jiyeon tried to shout it, but it only came out a choked sob. "You told me not to show my face to you again, but now you're right here in front of me. What exactly do you want? Play with my emotions? My body?"

She quickly put the guitar back in its case and stood up. Myungsoo caught her wrist, just as she was about to run. "What I just said aren't sweet nothings, Park Jiyeon," Myungsoo hissed. "Since the day you left my apartment, I always came here and hoped that I'd see you again. I was worried about you. I was scared you might—" 

"Might kill myself? That's your main concern after shattering my world!" she cut him off as she jerked her hand out of his tight grip. "I gave you my heart, but you just threw it away. I won't let you do it again. And you don't have to worry. I won't die from a broken heart. I'm keeping my heart; I'm going to be strong and not fall apart. It'll get better, and I'll no longer cry."  

Myungsoo let out a small laugh, clapping his hands before taking his guitar case and standing. He slung it over his shoulder. "Jiyeon, I'm glad to hear that." He cupped her tear-stained face. "It seems like you're a mentally strong person. I don't regret loving you; I just regret falling in love with you." He gave her a peck on the lips before he walked away.

Jiyeon just stood there, unable to move, frozen in place. She watched him go until she couldn't see the smallest outline of his figure. Myung, you've turned into a total . I'm angry at myself, not you. I'm furious for getting attached, for thinking about you and for not hating you which I know I should, but I can't. I loathe myself for still having feelings for you. 

She began running. Her ankle boots clapped at the pavement, and the guitar case bounced off her leg as she sprinted. Her breathless curses filled the air.