Chapter 03

Baby Steps

“Babe?” Siwon asked suddenly one night  when the two of them were cuddling in their room, discussing about baby names and how they’ll decorate the room for their newborn child.

“Yeah?” Tiffany’s face lit up, her eyes turning into crescents.

“Nothing. I just wanted to hear your voice.” Siwon replied, earning a nudge from Tiffany.

“So, if it’s a girl, what do you want to name it? I want to choose American names for them too, baby daddy.” Tiffany smiled as she placed his hands on her belly that was slowly growing bigger day by day.

Siwon didn’t know what to say. He could’ve blurted out ‘Soojin’, but Tiffany would just take it as a joke.

“I don’t know, actually. I’m not really good with names, hun. I think we should look online for some names.” Siwon suggested.

“Babe, is there something on your mind? It seems like you’re not here today. Is there something wrong?” Tiffany noticed his eyes avoiding hers and his quiet attitude today.

“I think I’m just a bit tired, honestly. Haven’t been getting too much rest because of work.” Siwon lied.

“Aww, baby, it’s okay, just sleep a little earlier today, okay? Don’t over work yourself, okay?” Tiffany cupped his face and kissed him on the cheek.


*3 Months Later*

“Hello?” Jessica picked up the phone that was ringing while she was cooking dinner.

“Jess, hey, uh can you get Donghae on the phone too? I have something to tell both of you guys.” Siwon spoke.

“Hae!” she called.

“Oppa, is there something wrong?” Jessica asked in a worried tone. Donghae come in from the garage, and seeing that Jessica was on the phone, he didn’t make any abrupt movements. He stood behind Jessica and embraced her in a back hug.

“Donghae said you haven’t been emailing him back these past few days. Is everything alright? Do we need to come over? Hae says hi to the both of you.”

“Tiffany had a miscarriage.” Siwon broke the news to them.

Speechless and shocked, Jessica couldn’t find the right words to say. Donghae was just as shocked as Jessica was, and he knew that no words could make the couple feel any better about having a miscarriage. Not a second later, tears came pouring out of Jessica’s eyes.

“I-I.. I’m going to go check up on Soojin, you guys can…” Jessica’s voice became shaky and she stopped in the middle of her sentence. Donghae nodded and kissed her forehead.

“Siwon.. hey.. do you want us to come over? I’m really sorry about that… Is there anything we can do to help you guys out?” Donghae asked.

“I think she just needs some time alone for now…” Siwon sighed.


10 Years Later

“Babe!! Get ready, we have to go to Soojin’s promotion!” Jessica shouted while packing the camera.

“Okay, okay! I’m ready, I just need to grab something really fast!” Donghae shouted. He could not forget the thing he’s been hiding from Jessica for so long, her engagement ring.

“I’ll be in the car, just lock all the doors and bring yourself!” Jessica reprimanded him.

Donghae chuckled, he forgot how cheesy his soon-to-be-fiancé could get at times. And he was just happy that he’s finally going to make his move.

“Soojinnie, look over here!” Donghae called her and several friends over to take a few pictures.

“Wow, my baby is growing up fast!” Jessica shouted from behind with a bouquet of flowers and a graduation present for Soojin.

“Hey Soojin, where do you want to eat for lunch? It’s on me, okay?” Jessica offered.

“Hmm… pizza?” Soojin smiled.

“Okay, let’s go guys!” Donghae gestured. He wanted to get home as fast as he could and send Soojin’s graduation pictures to Siwon. He felt that it was now or never to break the news to Soojin.


“You know, Siwon, as much as I hate to say this, I really think it’s time for you to tell Tiff… I know it’s a lot for her, but…”

“Hae, we’re not ready yet…”

“Siwon, for God’s sake, it’s been fourteen years, are you ever going to tell her?! You can’t keep letting Soojin and Tiffany live a lie.” Donghae scolded him. He was right. As much as he wanted to tell them, he knew that Tiffany and Soojin won’t take it easily.

“Let’s just put everything into its right place. Once and for all, okay Siwon?” Donghae told Siwon.

“Okay.” He answered.

Later on that evening, when Donghae and Jessica were just sitting in the living room, watching The Heirs on TV, Donghae finally popped the question to Jessica. He couldn’t find the courage to propose earlier, but he felt that it was the right time now.

“Jessi baby?” Donghae called.

“Yes, Hae?” Jessica answered. She just finished face-timing her sister, Krystal.

“Hey, close your eyes, I have a surprise for you, okay?” Donghae felt his hands getting sweaty ad he pulled the small velvet box out of his pocket.

“Open.”

Jessica saw a ring in front of her, and she was completely shocked.

“H-Hae…”

“Jess, I know that it’s kinda out of nowhere, but… I just really wanted you to know how much I love you. Will you marry me?”

“You had me at open.” Jessica kissed Donghae on the lips. Donghae slipped the beautiful ring onto Jessica’s left hand.

“Donghae? Do you think it’s time that we tell Soojin…” Jessica paused in the middle of the sentence, just in case Soojin heard.

“She really deserves it.” Jessica was teary-eyed,  just thinking about the topic.

“I love her like she’s my own, and I know you love her too, Jess. But I really think it’s time.” Donghae held in his tears.

“Tell me what?” Soojin came, greeting them with her eye-smile that looked just like Tiffany’s.

Jessica looked at Donghae, and he nodded.

“Soojin, come here. Sit between Auntie Jess and I. We both have something to tell you.”

“Soojinnie, you know how you’re always asking about your mom?” Jessica felt tears forming in her eyes as she began to tell Soojin.

“Well, Soojinnie.. your mom is actually…”

“Who?”

“Your real, biological mother is Tiffany. And Siwon is your father.” Donghae told her.

“No. No. You’re lying to me! Aunt Jessi, tell me he’s lying!” Soojin was furious—she refused to believe that. It felt like it was the end of the world.

“Soojin, baby, it’s true.” Jessica spoke softly. Donghae told Soojin the story and why they didn’t tell her until now.

“Soojin, you’re moving in with them next week.”

Soojin was in tears. It was too much to take in. She ran upstairs to her room and locked the door, shutting everyone out. All she wanted to do was cry.

“Jess.. did I do the right thing? I love her so much and it hurts…” Donghae confessed.

“I know you didn’t mean to hurt her, Hae, but you did the right thing. She deserves to know.” Jessica kissed Donghae on the forehead. It hurt her too, knowing that Soojin was crying and ther was nothing they could do about it.


On the day that the three of them arrived in South Korea, Soojin was feeling mixed emotions. She felt bad for ignoring and acting coldly to Jessica and Donghae, but she loved them as if they were her real parents.

“Soojin, are you excited? You’re going to meet new friends. It’ll be fun.”

“What about my California friends? And So Cal life?” Soojin complained.

“We’re here, guys, let’s go inside.” Donghae helped carry the suitcases as Jessica and Soojin walked into the house.

“Soojin, this is Siwon. He’s…”

“My dad.” Soojin answered with her head down.

“Hey, why don’t you guys come in? Lunch’s ready.” Tiffany called from the kitchen.

“Um, I’ll take Soojin up to her room and help her get settled. You guys should talk it out.” Jessica offered.

“Let’s go, okay Soojin?” Jessica took her suitcase upstairs to Soojin’s room.

At the dinner table, Tiffany noticed the awkward atmosphere and tried to spark up some conversation.

“Is something wrong, guys?”

“Tiffany, there’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you for a long time now…” Siwon began. He told her about the car crash, and Soojin being their daughter, and about how he asked Donghae to help him take care of Soojin.

“And you didn’t think I had the right to know?!” She exploded. Tiffany felt angry, mad, upset, and most of all, she couldn’t believe that Siwon hid this secret for 14 years.

“Lee Donghae! How could you not tell me either, huh?!” Tiffany yelled.

Neither of the boys spoke a word. They knew that once Tiffany was mad, she was mad.

“Why did you do this, Siwon? Why..?” Tiffany wiped her tears away and continued to cry.

Upstairs, Jessica and Soojin could hear everything that was happening downstairs.

“Hey, Soojin. Be good to them, okay? I’m going to miss you so much, but I promise I’ll visit often, okay baby? I love you, Soojinnie.” Jessica pulled Soojin into a tight hug.

A minute later, Donghae walked in to say goodbye. Soojin forgave him, and he promised that he would visit with Jessica often.

“I’ll miss you guys.. thanks for being my parents for the past 14 years of my life…” Soojin hugged them tightly.


During dinner time, Tiffany watched Soojin as she poked at her Korean food. Soojin had Siwon’s eyes and Tiffany’s habit of cutting her food into bite-size pieces before eating. Nobody muttered a word.

“So what grade are you in?”

“9th.”

“Do you want to go anywhere this summer?”

“I just want to sleep. I’m really tired.” Soojin replied softly.

“What about your favorite colors?”

“Dark colors.” She answered.

Siwon knew that Soojin wasn’t happy; all he wanted to do was have a nice conversation during dinner.

“Soojin, don’t make this any harder for us, okay? We’re already behind by 14 years.” Siwon  reasoned.

“Says the one who gave their daughter away to someone else.” Soojin got up from the dinner table and walked up to her room.

“Soojin, sit down.” Siwon called. But she was already halfway upstairs by then.

“Tiff, could you—”

“Don’t expect anyone to be happy by keeping this a secret for 14 years.” Tiffany got up and walked up to Soojin’s room.

Tiffany walked up to Soojin’s room and opened the door. She found Soojin sitting on the side of her bed with earphones on.

“Hey.” Tiffany knocked on her room door.

“Can I sit next to you?” Tiffany asked. Soojin nodded. She took her earphones out of her ears and  sat next to Tiffany.

“You know, when I came to Korea, I poked at my food too. I would much rather eat cheese pizza than Korean food.” This made Soojin laugh slightly, but she still avoided eye contact with Tiffany.

“What are you listening to?” Tiffany asked, looking at Soojin’s iPhone screen that lit up.

“Katy Perry.”

“I love Katy Perry, she’s one of my favorites!”

“Me too.” Soojin smiled.

“Soojin?” Tiffany called.

“I know it’s hard for you, it’s hard for me too, but we can get through this together, okay?” Tiffany suggested.

“Okay?” Tiffany asked.

“Okay.” Soojin looked up at her.

“Mom?” Soojin said. Tiffany felt her heart skip a beat. She never thought that Donghae’s “cousin” would be the one to call her “mom”.

“Can I call you that?” Soojin asked shyly.

“Of course you can.” Tiffany’s eyes got watery.

“I’m sorry, my parenting skills are still a bit rough, considering I just became a mom.. a few hours ago? Haha. Do you mind telling me some more about yourself? We can consider this a "getting-to-know-each-other" thing, okay?” Tiffany asked.

"Okay." Soojin's lips formed a small smile.

 

 

 

A/N: Hey, it's mushroom-fany! I've been MIA on AFF for a really long time TT - TT.. but I wrote a really long update for you guys so I hope you enjoy it :). Did you guys listen to Indestructible yet? :D It's really good ^ - ^!