Chapter 02

Baby Steps

“Hello Donghae?” a raspy voice was heard as the man driving picked up his phone.

“Siwon! Are you guys there already?” his eyes averted on the stoplight waiting for it to turn green. Today was one of the days Siwon promised to do, visit his daughter Soojin. But only Siwon and Donghae know about this, the poor kid is hidden with the truth and so was Tiffany, the real mother. Siwon never had the courage to break this to his own wife, he was afraid that she would turn away from him for committing such a mistake when they were still young.

Soojin was patiently waiting in front of the window for his Daddy Donghae to arrive. She wanted to go with her daddy but instead she was left at home with her Auntie Sica. Soojin grew up to be a quiet, reserved girl under Donghae’s care. Sometimes, Donghae gets worried, he knows that Soojin hungers for a motherly love, which by all means Donghae tries to give. Deep in his heart, Donghae’s knows he can never replace the space of Soojin’s longing for a mother.

“Soojin? Lunch is ready, you don’t want to eat?” Jessica came in her room disquieting Soojin’s solitude. The girl turned around with a gloomy face. Jessica knows it was one of those days again, that young Soojin would ask about her mom.

“Soojinnie, is there something wrong? Jessica had the constant effort to look over Soojin. After all, Donghae was committed to taking care of the child, she was to support every decision Donghae makes.

Soojin turned her head with wistful eyes. “Auntie Sica, why can’t you be my mom?”

Jessica was agape with what Soojin asked her. It was like a mix of guilt and sadness. The kid never had a motherly figure to look up to, except her. How she wished she was but Soojin’s real parents cannot hide the truth to their child.

“Soojinnie, who says you’re not Auntie Sica’s daughter huh?” She brought her to a loving hug. “Even if you didn’t come from Auntie Sica’s womb, you came from Auntie Sica’s heart.” Her watery eyes could not hide how sad she felt for Soojin. That up to now, a missing link of her personality is still missing.

Their little moment was disturbed by a car horn from below. Looking out the window, they saw Donghae’s car have already arrived. Jessica started to feel nervous. For the first time in years, Soojin is going to meet her real parents, but unfortunately, they cannot introduce her formally. Siwon did not want things to be heavy for Tiffany, he thinks that it will destroy their starting anew since the fateful accident.

Siwon stepped out of the car. He was not sure of he was ready to see Soojin, but during the trip he imagine what would she look like. With all the e-mails Donghae sent him, how he wished he was there with every moment. Turning his head to the side, Tiffany intertwined her hands with him. Now he was torn between two things, relive the past with their kid or be in present with Tiffany. The choice would always be the latter.

“Soojinnie!”  Donghae ran into her with a big hug.

“Siwon, is that Donghae’s cousin you’re talking about?” Tiffany whispered to Siwon.

“Yeah, she is. That’s Soojin.” It was hard to lie, and every little thing he planned before was now coming back to him. He was afraid to tell Tiffany the truth, but he was also afraid that Tiffany would leave him once she knows. He was torn between two choices which had a single bottomline: to keep her with him.

“Soojin, greet uncle Siwon and Auntie Tiffany. They’ll be staying with us for vacation.” Donghae brought her down. The kid stared blankly at the couple, Tiffany flashed a sweet smile while Siwon sported an unkempt one. His palms were sweaty and his breaths were short. There she is, his daughter finally standing in front of him. Siwon noticed how big she has grown. Her features were a mix of him and Tiffany, but the eyes, they were just like his wife’s. Deep but inviting.

“Hi Soojin. How are you doing? Donghae told us you were a straight A student at school. He’s very proud of you.” Tiffany bent down to her level but Soojin did not say anything. Siwon tried to make her talk but Soojin plastered a blank face.

“Hm, Soojin’s a bit shy towards people, but I’m sure you guys will get along. Right Soojin?” Donghae patted her head and the girl stuck close to him. “Let’s go inside, Jessi cooked us lunch.” He invited.

***

“Siwon can we, talk outside?” Donghae asked just about when Siwon was to turn inside their room. “Sure bro.” he followed Donghae to the patio and sat on one of the benches.

“So, how do you find Soojin?” Donghae asked him straightforwardly as he opened his can of beer.

“She grew a lot, and I must say, she looks a lot like Tiffany.” Siwon chuckled, but he heaved back with a sigh clutching his cold beer.

“Do you have plans of telling Tiffany yet?” Donghae probed.  The man sitting beside him felt uneasy.

“Truth be told, I don’t have the courage yet. Every time I muster a single cell in me to tell her, when I see her smile, I go back from the start. I never want to ruin that smile. And I’m afraid she will turn her back on me.” Siwon was close to tears having unwanted the current situation.

“Siwon you have to tell her no matter what. Before it’s too late, if she knew about this from others it would hurt her more.” Donghae gave a piece of advice that frustrated him for a long time.

“I-I don’t know where to start, I’m lost Donghae, I can’t, not right now. I can’t bear to see Soojin and Tiffany hurt at the same time.” Siwon stood up and grabbed his hair.

“Maybe when you guys get back to Korea. Just little steps, and you can make it. I will help you with Soojin.” Donghae patted his friend’s back, showing assurance. Siwon felt extremely miserable, he felt like telling Tiffany the truth was a gamble. He would either lose her or win the both of her and his daughter back.

“Hey.” Donghae soothed Jessica’s back who put Soojin to sleep.

“Hmm?”

“Come on, let’s go to our room, change your clothes so you can go back to sleep.” Donghae carried her half asleep girlfriend to his room.

“Donghae?” Jessica said as she turned back to bed

“Yeah?”

“What did Siwon say?” Jessica mumbled with her eyes still closed.

“I convinced him to tell it once they are back in Korea.” Donghae fixed himself under the sheets and cuddled close to Jessica.

“Hm really? I hope it turns out well, I feel so sad for Soojin.” Jessica hugged Donghae’s frame as he got into bed.

“Why baby?” he shrugged.

“Soojin really wanted to meet her mom, she even asked why can’t I be her mom. It’s heart breaking for me to see that Donghae. She grows up with that empty space in her heart, hoping to meet her parents.” Jessica sleepily muttered.

Donghae reacted in silence. He wished that time would turn back and they could have prevented everything from getting worse, but then again, crying over spilt milk won’t do any cut. Their mistakes can’t make anyone happy, but forgiveness can be asked for.

***

After a week of vacation at Donghae’s, Siwon and his wife were back in Korea. He had twice thoughts of his agreement towards his bestfriend, but he was man enough to make a step forward to doing it.

“Tiffany?” he called out as she was busy flipping channels on the TV.

“Baby can we talk?” Siwon scooted near her as they were leaning on the headboard of the bed. Tiffany turned off the TV and looked to her husband.

“About what baby?” Tiffany saw the hint of sadness in Siwon’s eyes, she tried to convince herself that it was nothing and all that Siwon wanted to do was talk.

“Um, babe, what would you do if we had kids? Or a kid?” Siwon held her hand and prayed to himself for understanding.

“Kids? Baby you should have told me earlier that you wanted kids! I would be more than happy to! I thought you would never ask.” Tiffany’s eyes brightened and she hugged Siwon tight. She got the wrong idea of his right move. Siwon could not break it to her like that after seeing how happy she was thinking that it was making a family Siwon wanted this time.

“We’re going to be a real family. I love you Siwon!” She cupped Siwon’s scruffy face and placed a chaste kiss on his lips.

“Yeah. A family. I-I love you too.” He was lost at his own words and could never replace that chance of telling her right away. His mind won’t let him leave the image of Soojin, how innocent she was of her fate. Senses brought him back and Tiffany is hugging him tight.

***

He left his mind off that night. He made a blind promise towards his wife that they would make a family but his focus was lost. Siwon would always stare blankly at times that Tiffany started to notice his bothered thinking.

“Babe? Is everything, going okay lately?” she asked while securing herself under his muscly arms.

“Um, just pretty stuck at work but everything’s fine. It’s just tough keeping everything up.” He hid in a perfect excuse she would be oblivious of.

“Okay, but don’t stress yourself too much arasso?” Tiffany left butterfly kisses on Siwon’s face but he did not even respond even once.

“Babe, I’m tired. Let’s just sleep hmkay?” It was the first time he turned down his wife for a reason that she should know why. The problem of the past was bothering him, even his relationship with Tiffany. His wife could not get the reason of Siwon’s sudden actions, she suspected of him having a lover for a second, but that was just way overboard and she would never really know unless there were evidences.

Donghae would not forget to send Siwon e-mails about Soojin. He would send his best friend photos, write to him Soojin’s exceptional talents, how she was doing and also asking him how their plan went. Siwon was not ready to say that he failed and was now making a mess of it all. Breathing deeply, he has now realized that worrying about it won’t do any good for now.

One morning, Tiffany was walking back and forth to the bathroom and bed. Siwon noticed her looking pale and body’s slumped on top of the bed.

“Tiff? Are you okay? Maybe we should go to the doctors honey.” Siwon got his shirt ready to leave and bring his wife to the emergency room.

“I’m okay. I’m just a little dizzy.” She pulled Siwon back in bed and hugged him tight.

“You sure? I’m worried babe.” Siwon placed his hand over her forehead to check her temperature.

“I’m okay, uhm, baby mind reading this thermometer for me? It’s a bit blurry.” Tiffany handed Siwon a white stick that looked differently than usual thermometers. Siwon took it and when he was about to check the panel, he did not see numbers but two red lines instead.

“Babe? Are you-“

“Happy Father’s Day Siwon. I love you, baby daddy!” Those words made him the happiest person that moment. Finally, he made his wife happy about having a family of their own. He could not contain anymore his happiness knowing that Tiffany is pregnant with their child. Tiffany hugged him tight, unable to speak into words how happy she was, but in the back of Siwon’s mind, there was one family they have to meet soon.

------------------------------------------------

A/N: HELLO! It's nice to see everyone again! ^^ I know, I know, authornim went on an unannounced hiatus TT_TT Did not expect it to be that long. MIANHAE :(( But here's a long update for y'all. Hope you enjoy it :) Lots to come on the next few chapters! And I'll be working with my homie makdongie with it. For now, let us pray that Tiffany would create her IG! Kekekeke! :)) See ya soon! Saranghaeyos! :D