Ten Cliché Memories

Ten Cliché Memories

 

 Ten Cliché Memories ♡ 

 

          Of course, now I see him every day of my life. And every moment I see him is a treasure in my heart. But there are always those few memories that stand out to me the most. Let me use the cliché number of ten and allow you a glimpse of that number of my most important memories with him.

 

♡ 1.♡ 

 

          The airport was so crowded and I’d never felt so claustrophobic before. So many girls were screaming, waving around signs and holding up cameras of all sorts. All I wanted to do was get out of the crowded area and into a taxi to get to the college I would be attending. Instead, I was shoved into the herd, my eardrums nearly bursting and my body being crushed between those of others.

          What was all the screaming and cheering for? It only took one or two more minutes for me to find out.

          Suddenly, a wave of security guards flew in, surrounding a group of no more and no less than twelve men, each in their early to mid twenties. They all seemed to rush by in a flurry, most avoiding eye contact and trying to escape from the wandering hands of fans.

          And yet, despite their rushing, one of them… the tallest of the group I suppose, had just, at that moment, looked up. I managed to catch his eye for merely a second before he turned away, hurrying after the rest of his group.

          In that moment, usually, nobody would think anything of it. But there was something that was set off within me. I wasn’t able to place any distinct thought on it, and had no theory of what it could have been. To be honest, I’d simply tossed it off to the side, not wondering what it might have meant, and who that tall man was.

         At that moment, all I really wanted to do was get out of that bone-crushing crowd and grab my luggage before jumping into a cab and leaving the insane building.

 

♡ 2.♡ 

 

         I didn’t think I’d ever see that man again, or even learn his name for that matter. But fate likes to play its little tricks, and so the unexpected happened just a few months later.

         Posters were stuck all over the school, claiming that a very popular group called EXO would be performing for all the students in the music department. I was surprised the concert would be so exclusive, and heard many students from different departments complain and start planning how they’d sneak in.

         I, for one, was still lacking knowledge about the popular music here and had no idea who this group was and just how popular they were.

         The moment they walked on stage, my eyes stuck onto him. It probably helped that he was the tallest. However, his expression surprised me. It was like he had a permanent scowl on his face that scared the out of me, and perhaps some others. But I wouldn’t know because of all the screaming and cheering going on around me.

         The twelve men stood tall and confident on stage, and were immediately asked to have a small interview. The tallest of them nodded while a shorter member actually spoke of his consent.

         Introducing themselves, I found out that his name was Kris and that he was one of the leaders of the group. He was also Chinese and spoke many different languages well.

         His voice wasn’t deep, neither was it high. And he had a definite sense of respect and control over not only his group but the audience as well, since he was able to so easily calm them down with one sentence asking for a bit of silence so that his group could speak.

         I had no idea that my eyes were glued onto him until he turned his head and his eyes met mine for the second time in our lives. His gaze lingered on me for only a few seconds before the corners of his lips lifted and he turned to look at the others of the audience.

         As soon as their interview ended, they performed multiple songs, demonstrating the great vocal and dance talents they each had. Yet again, Kris surprised me. Despite his rapping being in a low vocal tone, his singing was slightly higher, though not badly. It definitely contrasted with his appearance, but was pleasant, to put it in an understatement.

         The concert ended in the blink of an eye, and for some reason, I felt compelled to walk into the teacher’s lounge to ask my professor a bit about the group, perhaps specifically of Kris and his full performance capabilities (or so I tried to convince myself).

         As soon as I opened the door, there he stood, surprised as he drank a cup of what I was guessing was coffee. There was a sense of panic around him for a moment before he said, “Don’t scream.”

         I was baffled. “Why… would I scream?”

         A sigh of relief. “Can I assume that you’re not a crazed fan?”

         “In all due respect, I’m actually not very familiar with your group at all.”

         He smiled ever so slightly, nodding ever so slightly. “That’s an interesting accent you have.”

         “Well, I’m not from Korea after all.” Why was I conversing so easily with this man? It was slightly unnerving, but for some reason, I continued.

         “Would you happen to be Chinese?”

         “Well, half Chinese. I spent most of my childhood in Hong Kong.”

         A look of interest was strewn across his face. “I’m from Guangzhou,” he said, in Cantonese.

         I could suddenly hear the footsteps and talking of several people coming our way, and knew it was about time I made my leave of the room before I was accused of harassing him like a crazy fan. “I should probably get going,” I replied in the same dialect.

         “Will you tell me your name?”

         Hesitating, I quickly answered, “Sung Mitsuki.”

         “Wu Yifan.” He extended his long arm, holding out his hand.

         When I shook it, I realized that his hand made mine look like a toddler’s and my cheeks blushed in embarrassment.

         He chuckled before continuing. “It was nice to meet you, Sung Mitsuki.”

         I replied similarly before leaving, my heart nervously beating.

 

♡ 3.♡ 

 

         After that incident, I didn’t see him for a very long time in person. But I did pay attention to his group, listening often to their music and watching a few shows here and there.

         In fact, I didn’t see him again in person until about three and a half years later. I was a fan of him and EXO, but I didn’t expect to see him in person again.

          I had graduated college and was looking for work in Korea. I liked it better in Korea than in most other places I lived (excluding Hong Kong, but maybe I’d move back there in a few years. Who knows?)

          I didn’t expect to find work easily, of course, so I went from building to building, entertainment company to entertainment company. And then, my friend had all of a sudden decided to help me out by telling me that her cousin’s friend had some connections to help me. He couldn’t guarantee a job for me, but he could sure help.

          Me, being the little desperate graduate who needed a new job, quickly accepted, begging her to hook me up a.s.a.p.

          So there I was, a few days later, sitting in a little coffee shop in front of the entertainment company that would soon be my work place, but I didn’t know it at that point.

          I waited for about half an hour and was getting impatient. I didn’t expect to be waiting for so long, but I forced myself to wait just a few more minutes, knowing that this would probably be the soonest I’d get to finding a stable job.

          And good thing I waited, for a few minutes later, two men walked into the shop, one dressed casually while the other was dressed in quite an interesting wardrobe for the beginning of summer. Sunglasses were normal, but a hat and scarf? That was a little ridiculous.

          The man who was dressed in more weather appropriate clothes must’ve recognized me, for he smiled and walked my way, extending his hand and introducing himself before sitting down in front of me. The other man sat down as well, and when he pulled down his scarf and sunglasses, I was thoroughly shocked.

          “It’s been a while, Sung Mitsuki,” he said in his velvety voice, smooth yet almost in a whisper.

          “Ah, you two have met? Well, I’ve just brought Kris along because I was working a bit with him earlier and decided it would be good to have a second opinion next to me before we allow you into the next stages of interview for our company, should you agree to join us at S.M. Entertainment.”

         “S-S.M.?” I stuttered, even more surprised. It was definitely one of the biggest entertainment companies of the time, and to work for them would be one of the greatest achievements that I could ever imagine having.

          He nodded. “I’ve provided some information about the spot that’s currently open. We’ve got quite a few applicants, but from what my friend has told me, you’re a very good person to consider for the job.”

          I was then loaded with various files and papers, but the entire time, I couldn’t stop from glancing up at Kris often. He had an amused smile and caught me a few times looking at him.

          When Jungmin, the interviewer, left to go to the restroom for a moment, Kris asked me how I was. I replied that I was fine. I asked in turn, and he said he was okay. Jungmin was back before we could continue our awkward conversation. Kris gave me a small smile before tilting his head slightly toward Jungmin, telling me to pay attention. I blushed before trying to focus on the information that was being given to me, as well as the interview he gave me minutes later.

          By the end of the two hours, I was guaranteed a second interview.

          Though we’d barely spoken, that spark lit within me again the moment I saw him. And when he left, it was still there for maybe an hour more, an aftershock of an unknown, yet exhilarating emotion overcoming me. He slipped a piece of paper with his number on it into my pocket and told me to call if I needed any help.

          Little did I know how often I was going to be calling and texting that number in the distant future.

 

♡ 4.♡ 

 

          I’d gotten the job at S.M. and was soon working there full-time, singing demos for artists, composing for new songs, etc. It was an amazing job, and definitely more enjoyable than I thought it would be (though it included the obvious stress of the entertainment business).

          Before I knew it, I’d been working there for about a year. It was definitely interesting to see all of the idols moving in and out of recording rooms, offices, and other rooms I worked in.

          And I would often see Kris walking around, rehearsing or organizing some things with a few people. He would always smile when our eyes met, and never stopped to cause my heart to skip a beat, or for that little spark to ignite even stronger inside of me.

          We still had not progressed to more than a “Hello”, but it seemed as if our quick gazes had more to them than just eye contact.

          I guess you could say… the next most notable instance was on my birthday, which was a huge turning point for both of us.

          Working late hours did a body no good, and yet there I was on my date of birth, working on a demo for one of f(x)’s comebacks. I’d actually forgotten it was even my birthday and couldn’t wait to just go back home and collapse in my comfortable bed.

         When I’d finally finished, I tossed aside the headphones and started to walk towards the staff room to get my things and leave.

          The first thing that notified me that something was off was the light in the staff room. Considering how some people here have night as their day, the light in the room would usually be on.

          I opened the transparent door and flipped on the lights, only to jump back in surprise when I saw candles on a cake being lit. Looking up at the mysterious person, I realized it was Kris, looking awfully awkward with a childish party hat on. Yet, he began to softly sing happy birthday to me and carried the cake over to me. He clumsily handed me a party hat which I embarrassingly slipped onto my head.

          Nobody in the office had done something like this for me all day, though they offered the quick “happy birthday” before rushing off to work. Even my roommate was unable to get me anything, but I couldn’t blame her because of how busy she's been. I actually didn’t realize the lack of celebration until now.

          I could feel tears prickle at the corners of my eyes but I pushed them down, not wanting to ruin the moment with water works. When he finished singing, I pretended to make a wish by folding my hands together and closing my hands, and blew out the candles.

          Kris chuckled and patted my head lightly before setting down the cake. I opened my eyes and helped him cut the tiny dessert.

          Though it was awkward at first, our conversation was able to grow. I learned that he knew of my birthday, and noticed no celebration being given to me. Right after his photo shoot, he quickly went to get a cake.

          I can’t remember how many times I said thank you, but I assume enough to irritate any normal person. I guess he wasn’t normal, or at least, he didn’t show it.

          I think that night was when we finally broke out of the awkward “acquaintance” zone and into the dreaded friend zone. Though, I think to the both of us, that “dreaded” friend zone was crucial to our development in our relationship.

          This was probably one of the memories that the two of us treasured the most. If it didn’t exist, neither would our relationship.

 

♡ 5.♡ 

 

          The next fascinating moment happened maybe a few months after that ice-breaking day. Kris decided to introduce me to his girlfriend, who was still hidden from the public’s eye.

          She was beautiful, and in all honesty, I looked like a little house cat, while she was a lioness. Long legs, thin face, big eyes, pale skin. She was every guy’s dream. And on top of that, she had one of the kindest personalities I’d ever witnessed. She was too perfect. But I didn’t concern myself in finding her flaws, for I didn’t want to see the girl who had captured Kris’ heart. I gave no time or situations for me to see her, let alone find out the errors in her. As their relationship continued, I avoided them as often as possible.

          He introduced her as Choonhi. She allowed me the knowledge of her last name: Hong.

          I politely shook her hand and then made the excuse that I was busy with some idol’s newest comeback material. Kris asked me to join them for dinner. I declined, giving the same excuse of being busy.

          Along the way of getting to know him better, that little spark in me had turned into falling in love. Everything about him was perfect to me, including every single one of his flaws.

          So, I think finding out about his girlfriend was the first time I experienced heartbreak.

          Though an uncomfortable memory, this is one that I remember strongly. It was the first time since I met Kris that reality hit me and I realized: he was allowed to have a girlfriend. He wasn’t mine. I wasn’t his. And it was the first time I felt the strong effects of unrequited love.

          And, considering it is this type of memory, I’d much prefer to keep it short.

 

♡ 6.♡ 

 

          One of the most surprising memories I hold of Kris is when, one day, he rushed into my hospital room, drenched in sweat and panting like crazy. He ran forward and hugged my broken body, tears just starting to fall from his eyes.

          I had gotten into a rather horrifying car accident, and the doctors said it was surprising I survived the impact. I had multiple broken bones, with some internal bleeding, though I’ll spare you the gruesome details. I’ll just say that the entire situation wasn’t pretty. Things like this never are.

          Kris had said something about talking to Choonhi about something important today, so I assumed he wouldn’t have heard about my accident. I thought he would have turned off his phone to pay full attention to her. That’s the type of person he was (and is), afterall.

          When I began to mutter words of discomfort, he immediately let go and wiped away his tears (which he later claimed to just be his eyes watering from something in them). He asked what happened. I said it was a freak accident. Kris seemed… shaken. I remember him taking my hand and gripping it so hard, I thought it would break, but I allowed him to. There was something about his reaction that told me… I may have been more important to him than I thought.

          That day was full of surprises, for he pulled me into another embrace and kissed my forehead and cheek, telling me how terrified he was when he heard the news. He had been at the park with Choonhi when the phone call came.

          Of course, each person was only given about five minutes of a visit, for the hospital staff didn’t want me to become too nervous around people coming in to see me. Before he was asked to leave, Kris told me something that, although brought about a slight sadness for him, also brought relief to me: he’d broken up with Choonhi.

          When he came back that day for a second visit, Kris told me some things that required giving me some time to think about. He had said that despite going out with Choonhi, he had always sensed that it wasn’t right. And just like me, he sensed that special spark or light within himself when we our eyes first met… And he had no idea I would make such an impact on his life.

          Kris confessed many things to me that day, from his first feelings of me to his feelings he had towards me at that moment. And he confessed feelings to me that were definitely requited. But, I was so shocked I couldn’t speak. A look of disappointment appeared on his face and he told me to forget about it.

          Too bad I didn’t, and because he didn’t visit me again in the hospital, I targeted him right after I was released, embarrassingly returning his feelings through a loud announcement during an EXO rehearsal, which was the first place I found him. We still don’t hear the end of it to this day.

 

♡ 7.♡ 

 

          The wave of hardships had passed for us, at least for the time being. Everything went back to smooth sailing times for us, in a completely human, imperfect way.

          Kris worked as an idol, of course, traveling back and forth between countries. I stayed in the S.M. building in Korea, working constantly on new songs and demos, sometimes even for other companies when Lee Sooman allowed it.

          With Kris having to travel so often and me having to remain situated where I was, it was difficult to spend time together or see each other at all. While he was away, it was even harder to get phone calls through to each other without our schedules or time zones clashing.

          But we both somehow made it work, and before I knew it, our one-year anniversary was coming up. We’d known each other for two to three years (not counting when we met while I was in college), and we dated for one of those years. Yet, I wasn’t quite expecting him to celebrate with me, for he was in one of the S.M. Town concerts in New York at the time. Madison Square Garden again, for S.M. artists were now very welcomed and appreciated performers there.

          So we both resolved our little problem with the help of some S.M. Town members. While he was performing, one of the others would record EXO’s performance for me, live through a video chat. When he wasn’t busy, Kris would get on the video chat with me until it was time to go back on stage. I was already so grateful that he wanted to do this, even though I told him it wasn’t necessary.

          Now, if you’re thinking that he decided to skip the S.M. Town concert, fly all the way back to Korea, and surprise me, I’m afraid I’ll have to disappoint you.

          Then, why was this such a great memory?

          Well, you have to appreciate the little things.

          As I watched him performing out there, though my view was limited and I’d seen him live many times, it was the different perspective that allowed me a greater sense of his passion.

          Seeing him from the audience, and simply greeting him after his performance was different from seeing him from backstage, and watching his interactions among the other idols (though many of them teased us for our cheesy relationship).

          I saw pure enjoyment in his eyes and love for what he did. And if possible, this one moment, watching Kris as he performed hours away from where I was, made me fall in love with him harder. I could see the great dedication and love he had for his occupation.

          So, on our one-year anniversary, with us miles apart, I was able to see a side to him that, even if I’d seen before, seemed so new and fresh to me. While he was in his stage costume, sweat dripping down his forehead, and me in my baggy clothes, hair tied up messily while seeing each other through a cell phone screen, I simply fell for him harder.

          Despite this being such a small, seemingly unimportant event, I treasure it greatly for giving me the insight to the B.T.S. (behind the scenes) side of Kris. It helped me discover new things about my love.

 

♡ 8.♡ 

 

          I know I said that the end of our hardships passed, but every couple has fights. We were no exception.

          It was the first time I’d ever seen Kris seem so cold, and even though I knew he was overreacting over something that wasn’t even true, his look chilled me to the bone, and I literally shivered for a second.

          He’d seen me go to the coffee shop near S.M. quite a few times with one of the other workers at S.M. and although at first there seemed to be nothing strange, I’d been meeting this person at the coffee shop for about a month.

          Don’t go assuming things, because that’ll only bring you unnecessary trouble.

          At the end of the month, which was nearing six months after our one-year, Kris finally confronted me about it.

          I said it was nothing, which was quite a mistake, and shook it off, the next second seeming as if nothing was wrong. And to be honest, nothing was wrong. But Kris didn’t think that.

          I guess he then continued to see how things would go for a little while longer, and I continued to meet that man at the coffee shop for about… one or two more weeks.

          That’s when Kris drew the line, and I was faced with a steeled expression, words spat out through clenched teeth.

          “Are you cheating on me?”

          He was direct and blunt. I preferred that to dragging out the conversation, and at first, I was confused and surprised at his accusation. Then my temper flared, and I asked him why he would say such a thing. That statement had shown me that he didn’t trust me as much as I had hoped he did.

          Kris simply said he saw me with said person I was cheating on him with. I retorted, saying that I did no such thing. He accused me of lying.

          Our argument escalated into yelling, and for a moment, I felt bad for his neighbors. That is, until he yelled out another unreasonable claim and I immediately yelled back.

          We went back and forth until he coldly requested for us to “take a break from each other”. That was when my world froze over and I knew my relationship with the man I truly loved could not be worth hiding my friend’s secret. I didn’t know Kris would take it so far, and at that moment, his expression scared me to no end.

          I could feel tears threatening to spill, but I suppressed them and full force told him why I was meeting up with the man I was supposedly dating behind Kris’ back.

          The man simply needed help on: 1) confessing his love to the woman he loved and 2) when the woman was thinking of how to reply, I helped calm him down and think logically. Considering the two of them were some of my closest friends in the S.M. building, I felt obligated to help and was happy to do so. Until this argument came about.

          I felt out of breath after telling Kris about the situation, and immediately, the ice-cold mask he had on melted away to regret, embarrassment, and several conflicting emotions. My body seemed to feel ten times weaker and I slid down to the ground, waiting for him to move or do something.

          And when he finally did, it was to embrace me in his strong arms and beg for forgiveness. He pulled me up onto my feet, and though I had no strength, he kept me upright.

          Kris’ apologies flowed out like a river, telling me how he had no right to just assume such things, and that he shouldn’t have said any of what he did.

          At the time, his words had hurt, and I wasn’t able to forgive him at first. I accepted his apology, but I didn’t forgive yet.

          When I did, he kissed me multiple times, telling me how much he truly loved me and never wanted to lose me. I quickly reciprocated his feelings, and it was interesting to see such a tall man succumb to such a short girl as me.

          This memory… this moment had strengthened us as individuals and as a couple. I’m grateful for having had our first fight.

 

♡ 9.♡ 

 

          Perhaps this is the cheesiest moment in which I’ve had with Kris.

          We were finally two years into our relationship, and I’d moved in with him maybe a month or two after our first argument.

          On a particular autumn day, I got home early because SHINee, being the completely awful liars they were, said that there was a surprise waiting for me back at the apartment. They then ran out of the recording studio for fear of spilling the secret to me.

          I think I was a bit too early, because I already saw the incredibly cliché candles, roses, and dinner set out in the kitchen. I suppose it was intended for me to be blindfolded and led to the beautiful scene. I slipped off my coat, eyeing the display once more in slight confusion. Was today a special celebration of some sorts? Did I forget something?

          Walking towards my own bedroom in our apartment, I lied down on my bed for a moment, slightly exhausted from the day of work. But I knew I should get up to see why Kris was preparing such things for me, so I did, pulling off my heels in the mean time. The thought of perhaps forgetting an important celebration was biting away at me.

          I hopped into his room and heard him in the restroom talking… to himself? Finding it odd, I quickly waltzed over and slowly opened the bathroom door just as he was in mid-sentence. He was dressed in a white button-down, black slacks, and a dark blue tie.

          Kris’ eyes widened in surprise and he shoved something into his pocket. I could hear him swear quietly under his breath before sheepishly smiling.

          Without my heels, I felt miniscule beside him, but I hugged him and asked what everything was for.

          He sighed and said I was supposed to be surprised and things had gone completely against what he wanted. Kris then muttered something about killing the SHINee members the next day, and to that I laughed.

          I told him to just get it over with, since he seemed to be worrying too much over it. Kris replied, saying that it was something he could never have worried too much over and was now ruined.

          Rolling my eyes, I told him to hurry before I went back to the S.M. building to get a head start on some work.

          In a millisecond, he was down on one knee, dark blue, velvety box held open with a small ring tucked inside. Kris said those four words that every girl dreams of hearing. And of course, I said yes.

          But not before slapping him upside the head, saying how stupid he was to try and make an elaborate proposal when all I would’ve wanted was the simple one he just gave me then and there.

          Kris just sighed before smiling and slipping the ring on my finger. I proceeded to hug him in something that Kris later would call the “Hug of Death”.

          Kris continued with serving me dinner, playing one of our favorite action movies, and then singing me my favorite song, “At Least I Still Have You” by Sandy Lam.

          The night was so simple, and so cliché, but one of the most memorable ones I’ve ever had.

 

♡ 10. ♡ 

 

          I’m afraid I’ve tricked all of you. Well, in a sense, I didn’t. But in another, I did.

          You see, let me explain my tenth most treasured memory with Kris.

          My tenth most treasured memory is in fact every single memory I’ve had with Kris, every single memory I have with Kris, and every single memory I will have with Kris.

          There’s not a moment that I’ve had with Kris that I would ever want to forget or replace. Whether it be something as small as sharing silence together or his wedding proposal to me, I treasure them all so much.

          And I know I’ll love the future memories we make together, whether good or bad.

          Of course, we haven’t had our wedding yet. We’re still planning, and Kris is afraid I’ll get a case of “bridezilla”, which I won’t. Though the matter of him contracting that awful disease is very much possible. Just joking around (maybe).

          Everything we’ve been through together is worth having a special place in my heart. From the first time we made eye contact, I’ve never let go a single memory.

          And, even though we’re getting married in a few months, I don’t think anything will change. It’s as if we’re already married. Just… this time, it’ll be set in legal documents. That’s the only difference.

          This is my tenth memory: every single memory I’ve had, have, and will have with Kris. Period.

 

。。。

 

          I know it’s a cliché love story. I know we may not seem like the most interesting couple ever. But some love stories do occur in a very predictable way. I can’t stop what fate has planned. I have no control over whether we have a unique love story or not.

          Regardless, I hope you got to know our love story well. If not, oh well. But now, you have another cliché romance shelved into the library of your mind.

 


 

a/n:

Thanks for reading my MitsuKris one-shot :) Hope you guys liked it ^.^!

If you already read some of my work, you'll know that I've included this couple in two of my fics (The Girl Who Wants Death and The Girl Who Wants to Forget).

They're usually just a supporting couple, but every once in a while, I'll write a one-shot or side-story dedicated to them :) 

So, I hope you guys like the couple and continue to support them :3

Please comment or upvote if you liked my one-shot ^.^!

Thanks again for reading :3!

~DespisedSecret