Part 2

Best Friends for Never

A/N: Hey guys! This chapter is super short, but the last one was looong soooo hopefully it makes up for it?? Haha, I've had a bit of a block lately, so please continue to be patient! I may get another chapter up tonight ((hopefully ><))

Enjoy~

 

 

 

Kris still hadn’t told anyone about what he saw on that night. They had been in Korea for over a month, and Kris continued to support Luhan. He didn’t want the others doubting the mental stability of their leader anymore than they already did. Kris had a feeling he could easily overthrow Luhan’s authority if he wanted to. But Luhan had suffered enough betrayal in his life, and Kris shivered to think about what would happen to HIM if he betrayed Luhan. He was scared enough for Kai. He had no idea what Luhan planned to do, but whatever it was, it couldn’t be good.

It would be easier, Kris reflected, if Kai and his gang were jerks. Kris sat by one of them in class--a tall, lanky, awkward kid with big ears named Chanyeol. At first, Kris thought he was cocky, and his constant smiling was mocking rather than genuine--no one could be that happy, he thought. But he soon found out that Chanyeol was indeed THAT happy. He couldn’t stay serious for long; in fact, even after Kris beat him in that fight, Chanyeol came half-skipping into the classroom the next day and smiled widely at Kris, revealing his very straight, very white teeth.

“Yeah, I’m upset we lost, but I mean...we did start it,” he had explained when he saw Kris’ questioning glance, “I can’t really dislike you for defending yourself.”

Kris had never met someone quite like him. He was the exact opposite of Kris, yet somehow similar to him--he both understood and didn’t understand Chanyeol. It didn’t take long for him to warm up to Chanyeol--the two were talking like old friends by the end of the first week and, had the circumstances been different, Kris knew he and Chanyeol would be best friends.

He told Chanyeol this once while walking down the hall, and Chanyeol smiled his wide, goofy smile and said, “But we are best friends!” Kris had laughed and shook his head. Of course Chanyeol thought that--he didn’t know what Luhan was planning. In fact, he didn’t even know Luhan was back. If he did, then he would never smile at Kris like that.

“Why must you be like this?” he whispered, still shaking his head.

I’ll rip them all apart. A voice, the same voice that had been weaving its way through Kris’ nightmares, hissed inside of Kris’ head.

When Chanyeol heard Kris, his smile faltered, and he stopped walking down the hallway.

“We are best friends, right?” he asked, his deep voice shaking slightly.

I’ll destroy them, the voice hissed, angrier now.

“Chanyeol, I--” Kris began before stopping, not knowing what to say to his pleading eyes.

“Right, Kris?”

I’ll kill them all.

“I--yes, Chanyeol. We are best friends,” Kris said, forcing out a weak smile.

The biggest smile Kris had seen in his life climbed onto Chanyeol’s face, and he began laughing and clapping, like he just found out he had gotten into the college of his dreams.

“Yay~” he said, walking up to Kris and slinging his long arm around his shoulder, “I’m really happy. For a moment, I thought you didn’t like me, and I was just annoying you,” he said, laughing. Kris nodded, feeling sick to his stomach as he watched Chanyeol’s mini celebration.

The voice was laughing now.

Kris knew he wasn’t the only one having trouble avoiding the “enemy”, as Luhan called them. Chen followed Suho around like a curious kid would follow a man with balloons. At first, Suho always ignored Chen, but soon the two were laughing and joking around with each other. Or rather Chen joked with Suho. Suho was too uptight to make lots of jokes, which was totally fine with Chen--he liked being the funny one, anyway.

Even Tao, who was quiet, introverted, and generally had a hard time making friends, had cracked open his shell a tiny bit for Sehun. And for Tao, a tiny bit was a lot. The only person who knew about Tao’s past was Kris, and Tao clung and trusted Kris with the naivety of a child.

So when Kris saw Tao laughing with Sehun, he knew Tao was quickly growing attached. There had to be something good about Sehun, if Tao trusted him.

Could they really fight them like Luhan wanted? Could tao snap Sehun’s neck? Could Chen shoot Suho? Could Kris beat the life out of Chanyeol, just to keep a promise he made to Luhan years ago? A Luhan who appeared to be all but gone, eaten up by a bloodthirsty, vengeful spirit?

Kris just didn’t know.