Dark Like Chocolate

Saving EXO and Other Extreme Acts

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

“Alright, guys. Get ready to face the music.”

 

Chanyeol and Baekhyun turned away from each other at the sound of Kris duizhang’s voice, looking up at the group’s leader before gazing to the large crowd outside. The time and date of their arrival back in Korea was clearly available to anyone who searched the Internet, something he could tell by the piercing shrieks of teenage fangirls holding up decorated signs with each of the members’ names or ‘EXO’ written in their trademark script. Despite the various sighs around him, Chanyeol just looked back to Baekhyun and smiled his famous wide toothed smile.

 

“Here we go~” He announced in his deep, singsong voice before stepping into the common area of the airport, luggage in tow and smile at full voltage to blind all of the screaming fans. The life of an idol at its finest.

 

 

-Author’s POV-

The screams, all of which came from the stretched mouths of young girls ranging from middle school to college age, were deafening, but the fans themselves were deaf to their own noise, all of their attention focused on their idols. The twelve boys moved through the crowd as if they were walking on air, even though their manager and airport personnel had to practically bulldoze a path for them just so they could get outside to the van waiting to take them to the dorms. But in their obsessive daze, the fans paid no attention the inconvenience they caused by their excitement, instead moving even closer to the idols so that they could maybe touch skin, or the cloth of a jacket, or maybe even get their bias’s attention.

 

-Chanyeol’s POV-

 

“You’re only making them crazier, Chanyeol.”

 

The scolding came from the shorter dark haired vocalist of EXO-K, Baekhyun. Instead of bringing his hands back to his sides though, Chanyeol just grinned at the shorter male, waving his hands at the surrounding fans and smiling widely.

 

“They’re already like this. Waving and smiling won’t hurt. Come on, Baekkie, join me?”

 

Chanyeol’s pleads just caused Baekhyun to sigh and shake his head, a regretful smile on his face. By now, most of the boys usually just ignored the screaming and grabbing hands, acting as if there wasn’t a huge riot just because they were at the airport. But not Chanyeol. The Happy Virus always gave the fans at least a little attention, even on his worst days. This was exactly why he noticed the accident that was about to happen.

His attention was drawn to a peculiar sight a few feet in front of the group, part of the large crowd of fans. He squinted, but what he saw didn’t change. An outstretched hand was waving frantically in the air, like a person drowning in water that didn’t know how to swim. Chanyeol began jabbing Baekhyun in his side repeatedly, pointing at the sight with his other hand.

“Baekhyun, Baekhyun! Do you see that girl??”

His jabs were answered with a hard punch in his back, where the fans couldn’t see it.

“Will you quit poking me?? It hurts, Chanyeol!”

He looked down at Baekhyun in surprise, his brown eyes large and filled with betrayal. He rarely ever annoyed Baekhyun.

“But.. don’t you see that hand??”

His outstretched finger waggled in the direction of the hand, the chocolate hand, which was now a dark skinned girl, splayed flat out on the hard marble floor of the airport. Her head was turned towards them so they could see two notable things about this girl:

1). She was clearly a foreigner.

2). She was unconscious and bleeding.

After that, there was no way Baekhyun could remain oblivious to what Chanyeol had been talking about, or the rest of the group. Suho and Kris had already rushed forward, passing the managers and lifting the girl off of the ground. Since he was taller, Kris carried her, following the manager who was leading them to the airport’s infirmary. Suho was leading the rest of the group after the manager, since they couldn’t leave their fan alone after she’d been injured right in front of them. And… what would they do without the manager?

 

 

Juniper

 

When I woke up, my head was throbbing so hard, I thought my heart had somehow moved and was now sharing space with my brain. And then some creepy sound came from nowhere, a cross between the whimpers of a powerless puppy being beaten mercilessly, and a baby’s cries. It took me a second to figure out the sound was coming from me. I tried to put my hand over my mouth to stop my whimpering, but I ended up slapping myself in the face. I yelped then, sounding even more like a dog than before, if it was possible. Holding my hand in front of my face, I realized it was shaking, badly. And then I could feel the rest of my body. Even though I was covered with a thick blanket and still wearing the sweater Maru had dressed me in, I was shivering so hard I would have thought I was possessed!

 

“Uhh..”

 

I yelped again, jumping into a sitting position when I heard the sudden deep voice. And then I wished I had stayed down. Right in front of me was EXO. Not just M, not just K. All of EXO. My mouth, which had already been open because my shivers were causing my teeth to chatter in a very annoying way, was now opening and closing rapidly as if I was trying to catch flies. This time, I managed to cover my mouth before I started screaming. Or even worse, laughing hysterically. Since I was already shivering like I was stuck in the North Pole, I didn’t need to give them another reason to think something was wrong with me. I had totally intended to come two days before the concert so that I could explore Seoul. I hadn’t intended to wander into the airport the day EXO arrived back in Seoul. After that, though, my memory gets fuzzy. I suspected by throbbing brain had something to do with that. My eyes darted back and forth, surveying the familiar faces in front of me, along with two unfamiliar faces. One man, most likely the manager based on the business like clothing he wore, looked slightly relieved, while the other – I’m guessing he’s a doctor – still looked at me with concern. He opened his mouth to speak, but all that came out was rapid Korean. I was in so much trouble. I could feel my mouth fall open again as he slowly stopped talking, probably realizing by my expression that I was understood nothing. I looked from him to EXO, searching for that one person that could - and hopefully would - translate. He was in the middle, towering over the rest with an unreadable expression on his face.

 

“Umm… can you… help?”

 

I regretted having to ask him. After all, I came to South Korea, so I should at least know some Korean, right? And that expression on Kris’s face sort of terrified me. Actually, it completely terrified me. But then he started speaking English with that hypnotic voice of his, and I had to pinch myself under the sheets to keep that hysterical laughter down. Kris’s voice is a dangerous weapon.

 

“Oh, you don’t understand Korean, do you?”

 

With my teeth biting my lower lip so hard it almost bled, I slowly shook my head, trying not to make the headache worse. To my relief, he smiled, a small, but comforting smile, and got the doctor’s attention. The two began conversing in fluent Korean while I listened to them clueless, my eyes roaming the unfamiliar surroundings. Apparently, this was an infirmary. Pretty small, since the entire group seemed a little squished together. I wanted to ask what they were all doing in here, but then I wanted to ask myself how in the world I was staying so calm. EXO, my favorite band, idol group, musicians, whatever you want to call them, was standing right in front of me, and yet I was still sane, and not acting weird. Well, other than the shivers. There had to be something wrong with me. A face caught my eye. Pale, with a wide, smiling mouth and glinting eyes, Happy Virus Chanyeol was staring at me, waving his hand quickly in the air before Baekhyun muttered something and pulled it back down. He was probably expecting me to start screaming right there. Instead, I slowly lifted my own hand and waved back to him. I could tell that they were all extremely confused by the looks on their faces. I was guessing they hadn’t seen anyone darker than Kai before, much less someone of my skin tone, and they probably hadn’t seen many fans that were so calm. But I guessed they hadn’t seen many fans fall flat on their faces and pass out either, if that’s what had happened. Kris’s heavenly accented English took my attention away from still-smiling Chanyeol and very confused EXO.

 

“This is the doctor,” he pointed to the man in the long white coat. Yea, that much I got.

 

“He wants to make sure that your head feels okay? You fell pretty hard, we all saw that, and you were bleeding. But he says he didn’t find any open wounds. Actually, you look perfectly healthy, other than the shivering.” With that, Kris gestured to me and I looked down, frowning as soon as I did. The shivers were worse than I thought.

 

“Uh, yea..” I cleared my throat, trying to keep my voice steady, but the shivers were making that hard. How was I going to explain this quirk of mine? “I guess I must have bit myself? It happens a lot.” I smiled and shrugged as if that was enough of an explanation. I knew darn well that I hadn’t been bleeding because I bit myself, but I definitely couldn’t tell them that. I was saved from further questions about my lame excuse when Chanyeol spoke. He said something in Korean, which sounded like a question, and I looked at Kris, expecting him to answer. But Kris was looking at me, so I looked at Chanyeol, who was looking at me with a concerned smile. I tilted my head. Was he talking to me?

He pulled on the sleeves of his black hoodie, which I now recognized. He’d worn it in a cover of Super Junior’s “Sorry, Sorry”. I loved that hoodie. “Cold?”

It was only one word, but I could tell he meant to ask me if I was cold. I smiled as much as I could and nodded, the action jerky because of the shivers. This was going to become annoying really fast. Instead of looking at me oddly, he smiled wider. Before I could ask what was going on, Chanyeol was pulling off his hoodie and walking around the rest of the group to stand next to the cot. He held the hoodie out to me with a smile. I looked back and forth between his smile and the hoodie. Half of me was screaming louder than all of those fans combined because Chanyeol was so close, and smiling at me, and he seemed to be offering me the hoodie. The other half of me was wondering if that was such a good idea. But before I could open my mouth, he’d taken my hand and put the hoodie on my palm. I would have tried to hand it back right then but I couldn’t. It was so, soo warm. Immediately, I lifted it over my head and slid it on. Huge and very warm, just like I thought it would be. I could already feel the shivers calming down as a wide grin stretched across my face.

“Thanks!” I covered my mouth with both hands when I realized I’d shouted. Surprisingly, Chanyeol chuckled at the sudden outburst, and I could see Chen snickering behind his hand.

 

“Uh, gomawo..” I said a little softer, hoping I’d pronounced it right. He smiled before rejoining the group. Now I could see it was more than just Chen that found me funny. Baekhyun was smiling now, and so was Tao. Actually, they all were. Kai was muttering something that made D.O roll his eyes. Lay had apparently come out of whatever trance he had been in, and a small smile lit his face up and revealed his adorable dimples that made me squeal so many nights I spent on Tumblr. Sehun still had a straight face, but his eyes were making a crescent shape while Luhan next to him just chuckled. Kris, that darned unreadable man, had cracked a smile, although he seemed to be trying to hide it, and Suho and Xiumin were obviously cracking up. Sometimes I wondered why I was so weird.

 

“Gwenchanayo,” Chanyeol’s voice was a little higher from his laughing, and he waved his hand from his spot next to Baekhyun. I nodded to show I could understand that much, and then Kris regained his straight face and spoke again.

 

“The doctor wants to give you medicine for your head. Um, aspirin. And then he says you’re good to go.”

 

I sighed in relief, nodding quickly and smiling at the leader.

 

“Thanks so much! I don’t know how I would have handled this if you hadn’t been here.”

 

Meaning, there would have been a huge commotion while I tried to find my two robots so they could translate for me without revealing that they were more than just large plushy toys I liked to carry around. Kris quirked his lips again and nodded, and one by one, the boys left the room with Suho and the manager leaving last. The doctor cleared his throat to get my attention, handing me two little white pills and a glass of water.

Hello, freedom.

 

Chanyeol’s POV

 

“You know that might cause you trouble later on, right?”

 

Chanyeol looked up hearing Kris’s voice, a little confused by the question.

 

“What do you mean, hyung?” He spoke with a slight smile on his lips.

 

Kris sighed and turned in his seat to face Chanyeol, sitting behind him in the van.

 

“Giving that girl your hoodie. You know that might cause trouble later on, right? Either for you, or for her.” He shook his head when he was still met with Chanyeol’s now confused expression. “She kind of stands out here.” Kris gestured to their surroundings, ‘here’ being South Korea in general. “And imagine what fans might think, even do, if they recognize the jacket she’s wearing as the one you wore in that Super Junior cover you recorded? They probably already posted a video of us taking her to the infirmary.”

 

Despite what some fans might think, the boys were very aware of their online popularity. As a joke one night, they’d googled themselves, finding thousands of forum sites, fanpages, even fan written stories and fake accounts. Possibly the creepiest thing they’d found was the fancams. They were fully aware that fans took pictures of them and recorded them in public, but sometimes, the persistence of it scared them, just a little. And if EXO at the airport was always recorded, there was no doubt their arrival today was recorded as well. Realizing this, Chanyeol’s eternal smile finally faltered.

 

“I didn’t…” He looked up at Kris hopelessly, as if he were ashamed now. “I just thought she could use it.. she looked so cold, even with the blanket on.”

 

Suho intervened then, always acting as the mother. He patted Chanyeol’s back and smiled reassuringly.

 

“It’s okay, Chanyeol. We all knew you meant well, and I think you made her really happy.” He chuckled remembering how excited she’d seemed to put on the hoodie. “And I don’t think the fans would go as far as finding her, right? If she’s a foreigner, she probably only came for the concert. So don’t worry so much, okay?”

 

With that, Chanyeol smiled again and nodded, “Neh, hyung. I’m sure you’re right. I’ll think more carefully next time though!” His eyes shined as he made the vow, making the entire van erupt in laughter. Chanyeol laughed along, bent over in his seat, when Chen interrupted the moment.

 

“But really! Am I the only one still thinking about how dark she was???? We call Kai ‘kkamjong’, but she was dark like chocolate!”

 

The laughter turned into groans, and Xiumin wacked Chen on the back of his head while sighing heavily, voicing what everyone else in the group was thinking,

 

“Chen, when are you going to learn? If you have to ask if you were the only one thinking something, you usually are the only one.”  

 


Please don't kill me guys. I tried describing Chanyeol how he is in the videos I've seen, both interviews and fancams. Maybe that isn't the best way to figure out how EXO acts, but it's the closest we fans have, right? .-. But this chapter was suuuper long (2,795 words long). I think it's my longest, actually. Woohoo~ But things are getting more interesting now~ And a hint: There isn't any romance plot brewing here (sorry to burst any bubbles). Chanyeol giving Juniper the jacket becomes very significant later. Remember the forward? EXO gets kidnapped? The jacket has something to do with it~ Ufufufu~ Anyway, this story might end up being a little long... Depends on what all I add to the story and whatnot. As always, thanks for reading~ 

P.S.- If you didn't understand anything, just post a comment? I'll clear things up as best as I can ^^