A Werewolf Boy

A Werewolf Boy
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

The wind chimes are ringing melodiously against the gentle breeze. Today’s the beginning of spring and it is also a special date, a special day.

The man beside me is still sound asleep. The random dings and rings from our wind chimes don’t affect him at all. Bending over, I kiss his forehead lightly and pull the sheets around him. He mumbles something inaudible and shifts a little, but not waking up.

Pabo.

I make my way to the kitchen. It still looks brand new. After all we’ve only just moved in recently. The white and grey themed interior looks as though it’s from a movie and I smile to myself, contented with this design that we chose.

Birds are chirping outside the window while I boil water for coffee. He especially loves the coffee I made. Running my fingers through my still kind of messy bed hair, I make my way into our bathroom to wash up quickly.

Welcoming me is a big mirror. I sighed at the mess on my head and wonders how he could stand waking up to this all these years. Tracing my fingers slowly across my face down to my shoulders, I smiled…

Today,

is the day.

-*-*-*-*-

 

‘Heeyoung ah! Hurry up! We gotta go!’ Mom called from the first floor. I quickly ran my fingers through the knots in my hair and half ran down the stairs to a happy smiling mom.

‘Chill mom. We’re going to be fine, we won’t be late! Look, dad’s still playing with Heejoon!’ I pointed at my brother and dad who were playing chase in the garage. She gave a defeated laugh and pushed me gently out towards dad’s white RV.

‘Come on boys we gotta go!’ She called to the boys and loaded the last of our camping rations into the car.

My 8 years old brother climbed in after me panting excitedly. I pinched his chubby cheeks playfully while mom fastened his seat belts.

Once the adults had settled dad called with a joyous loud voice. ‘LET’S GO!!!’ The little kid beside me cheered with fists in the air.

I gave mom a defeated shrug and closed my eyes.

 

We had camping trips often. This year dad decided to go to the mountains. He’d been here with mom before they were married and now they’ve finally decided my brother was old enough to trek this hill. We’ve arrived early and while our parents were preparing our lunch, I’ve decided to explore the woods myself.

‘Follow the river and you’ll reach an open field. Be careful and not fall into the water okay?’ Mom repeated for the 10th time and I nodded restlessly.

‘I’ll be fine. The sun’s still so up high.’ I reassured taking a glance up at the glaring sun.

‘She’ll be fine. Don’t worry. But bring your inhaler too okay. No running. Just walk. Only fifteen minutes.’ Dad gave me a thumbs up.

I went back into the RV and slipped my inhaler into the pocket of my hoodie. That’s right, I’m forgetting the fact that I have asthma. But it’s just a fifteen minutes’ walk what harm will I have.

Nonetheless, I waved them a quick goodbye and be on my way.

 

The trail was clear and slightly damp. Probably due to the fact that the river was just beside it. I plugged in my earpiece and walked slowly, as carefully as I can. I certainly don’t want to drop into a puddle of mud.

It took me probably twenty minutes to reach the meadow. It was a wide spacious area indeed. I chuckled at the thought that dad was quite a romantic himself. It was definitely a good place to propose especially now when the flowers bloomed in vibrant colours and they swayed graciously with the gentle spring breeze. It was a breathtaking sight, so beautiful that I’ve forgotten how to breathe.

I walked slowly to the center of the field and inhaled deeply. Even the air smelled nice…. The air smelled…. Choking.

Suddenly I was hyperventilating and my lungs felt as though they’re heating up. My throat was getting drier by the second and my heart beat accelerated significantly. There must be something in the air that I was sensitive to. Maybe one of the flowers. I don’t know. It hadn’t happened before.

My legs gave way and I collapsed from the sudden attack. Shakily, I reached into my pocket for my inhaler, half of the time trying to calm myself down but it felt as though the air was knocked out of my lungs and my vision was getting fuzzy.

It took me my remaining strength to take out the inhaler just in time to spray once then it was darkness.

 

Something felt damp on my back and the air smelled like moss. My head was throbbing as I struggled to get up while blinking rapidly. It was dark and I could hear the dripping of water in a distance.

But why is it dark?  Isn’t it still afternoon when I passed out? Right! I passed out!

Frantically, I sat up at once in my panic attack and was hit by a wave of nauseous. I thought I was going to pass out again but I realized I had been lying on a large rock. That was the reason why my back felt damp. I glanced around as my eyes slowly began to make out my surroundings.

I’m in a cave.

I’VE BEEN KIDNAPPED?! That was the first thought that came to mind and I touched my hoodie and my laps confusedly only to realized that I had been fine. But how?

‘Dad? Mom? Heejoon?’ I called into the darkness while I slowly climbed off the rock. My legs felt numb and my head was still heavy.

God they must be so worried. Am I a retard or what? I have to get out of here. Whoever brought me here, must be still around.. somewhere.

Breathing slowly in case I have another attack, I walked towards the exit slowly with a hand supporting myself against the damp mossy wall. Now wasn’t the time to feel disgusted and my steps were increasing in haste as I made it out of the so-called cave.

‘What the… Where am I?!’ I almost screamed. There was a small stream before me, it could connect to the river I was following earlier. But the sky was already dark. Who knew what lurked in the forest around me. I d

Please log in to read the full chapter