[1]

Blood by Birth

 A/N: TW; Cutting, Blood.


[1]


Concentrating in class with a boring professor was bad, but trying to focus without food was even worse. I thought I wasn’t going to be hungry today, but I was mistaken. Has it been one month since the last feeding? Honestly, the more I thought about it, the stronger the hunger grew. The scent of humans and the sound of their beating hearts surrounded my senses. My canines were inching out slowly, just as I felt my strength weakening. I wouldn’t be able to hold up my human appearance for a while till I get my feedings. I had to control my urge, but cutting off my sense of smell wasn’t a good idea. I needed the air to survive like most living, breathing animals that do. I could feel the chocolate brown color disappearing from my eyes, reverting back to their original hue; blood red. I was told to feed earlier by my guardian, but I brushed it off saying that I wasn’t feeling hungry.

To be honest, it felt awful; going through blood withdrawal for more than one month was like going through caffeine withdrawal for coffee addicts. I couldn’t let innocent people around me get hurt because of a few drinks of blood, but then again I couldn’t stand the taste of it (or any kind while I’m at that) and the sight of hurting a human being was something that I wouldn't forgive myself to do. It was hard enough to take long, slow breaths to control the urge. I might be able to last a few hours at most, but then I’ll have to spend the rest of the day at home just to get a hold of myself.

As the professor continued his lecture on the Josen Era, I heard the sound of crinkling paper sliding on to my desk. I stared at the small piece of paper that had legible writing. I knew who it was from. She was sitting right next to me in the back of the classroom, where the professor wouldn’t even notice us sharing notes between each other.  My best friend, Stephanie, who I’ve known since kindergarten, gazed at me with the fear of me losing myself to hunger. She knew what would happen if I didn’t feed. The worse thing that could happen was using her as my feeding source, which had happened several times before. She nodded her head at the note, before putting her attention back on the professor and his speech.

I glanced down at the small note, staring at what she had written on it. I was hesitant while reading it because I knew what she would say. My hands were trembling as I reached for my pencil. My notebook was open to show that I was "taking" notes, but I was unstable; I wouldn’t be able to last writing a single reply or even think throughout the entire class period. According to the note, Stephanie knew that as well. I glanced at her note, reading it again.

Jessica, you need to feed. You won’t be able to last.
I’m going to send you straight to Hangeng.
I think he is carrying a bottle of blood for you.
You can’t resist your urge remember.
Please, I know you don’t want to hurt anyone.

I figured she would have to send me to Hangeng, my first guardian, since he does work on the school campus. He was the only one that stayed close to me whenever something happened. It has been going on for years. He sounds like the mother figure of the family, but that role went to Heechul instead, who was my second guardian. He's more protective compared to Hangeng and much sassier. I pressed my lips together in a fine line as I stared blankly at my notepad.

My mind was empty when I thought of an answer to write back to Steph, but I was too focused on my hunger. I could feel my stomach twisting. Dear God, I just wanted to vomit. As if things couldn’t get anymore worse, I could feel my fangs protruding out and cutting into my lower lip. I would taste my metallic blood that was coming out from the wound. I hid my face behind my hair, to only see a handful of strands changing back to its original color; silver white. Well, that's just great.

I quietly suffered internally as I wrote back on the opened sheet in the notebook. My hand was shaking as I tried my best to control my writing and thoughts. Honestly, my writing looked like a bunch of squiggles mashed together, but was still readable to my best friend. The two of us shared many classes together since we first became friends. Stephanie understood how I felt most of the time, but she was always there to lead a helping hand when I needed it.

I'm fine. It's just a little hiccup. That's all.
Please don't even try to drag me out of class
I'll survive till class ends.

I stopped writing as my throat burned intensely. The grip on my pencil loosened as I held back, dropping my writing utensil on the table. The thud was able to capture the attention of the surrounding students, but not the professor. I expected their eyes to fall on me, but instead, they just looked around to see where the sound came from. I didn't even dare to look up to see their confused faces due to my eye color. However, the professor was still talking to the class, not even noticing what is wrong. I slowly moved my notebook to the corner of my desk for my best friend to see. I brushed my hair away from the side of my face to be able to get a view of her. I could see her slowly leaning over to read my note. Once she was done reading; Steph tilted her head back and gave a look at me. I knew what that look meant. It read 'I'm-going-to-drag-you-out-of-the-class'. I didn't like it whenever she would drag me out of class for a personal issue.

As my throat burned, I quickly reached for my bottle of water that was in my backpack. I pulled it out, gripping on to the plastic container. Unscrewing the cap off and pulling the inserted straw out, I took a large sip from the bottle. The rush of the cool liquid didn't help the burning. Steph was still watching me, knowing that I wouldn't be able to last. It was then I spotted her raising her hand. My eyes were widening as her eyes held determination for me to get blood. I reached out to take her hand down, but I realized I couldn't. For two reasons; One) without feeding, my inner demon strength has full control, allowing it to take over my humanity, and Two) I didn't want to cause a commotion. So I slowly sulked down in my chair, not even going to question my best friend.

"Yes, is there a question, Miyoung?" I heard the professor say. Miyoung was my best friend's cover name. Well, it's actually her Korean name. It's also written in the “legal” documents that she and I were born the country, when the truth is sunny California in the United States was our true home. The two of us were forced to move to Seoul, South Korea under the orders of a twelve member council whom I haven't seen yet. I could see my best friend have a small glimpse of hope in her eyes when the professor noticed her.

Steph dropped her hand when the professor answered. "Professor, Sooyeon doesn't feel well. Can I take her to the infirmary?" The urgency in her voice confirmed the fact that she needed to get me out fast. I sensed the professor's gaze fall from her to me.

He said, "Jung Sooyeon, you've seemed to have a good timing on falling ill. This has been the twelfth time since you've first entered in to this class. I really do suggest you visit a doctor and have a check up or just drop this course over all. Most people would like to learn instead of wasting my time and just sit there." He was now getting on my nerves. There times where I wanted to rip his throat out. I could see the other students glancing in my direction, some even snickering. I knew it would be like this. The burning in my throat was getting hotter and I could barely hold back my current state due to my pent up anger for my professor. If my transformation came undone right now, hell would have broken loose because of my silver white hair and red eyes weren't something natural in this world. Oh, and a ton of bloodshed too.

"Professor, this isn't the time to antagonize her," Steph fired back, standing straight up from her chair. "Sooyeon is extremely pale right now? We also have a medical report written for her explaining about her weak immune system and anemia. She has been to the doctors, but she keeps insisting to go to school like regular normal person. Now if you'll excuse me, she needs her medication and will probably need the rest of the day off and so will I." Now the room was completely silent. The class was looking back and forth between my best friend and the teacher, who was known to be a complete to his students unless you were on this good list, like Steph here. As for me, I was on the bad because I would miss or skip class, but I still got my homework done; although, the real reason is because I would get called out to hunt some wide creatures of Hell or portal through the deadly night sky. It was then I felt someone pulling on my hand. I looked up to see Steph grabbing me out of my seat and dragging me to get my feedings. In her hand was my pencil and notebook. I grabbed my backpack with my free hand as I was rushed out of the classroom door.

My best friend had me by the floor as I tried to keep up with her, but it was impossible. My legs struggled, my knees nearly buckled underneath me. What a day to actually get kicked out from a college class? The good thing is that I have a break to do nothing for the next few hours.

"Steph," I breathed, "Slow down..." I was nearly out of air. "I can't walk as fast right now." She stopped, turning to face me. There was that look in her eyes that said she was mad and to the point of lecturing me. I slumped down on the concrete flooring, trying to catch my breath; my bag had fallen off my shoulder, landing with a thump beside me. At least, the air was somewhat clear. There were the scents of humans around, but it was softened a bit by the clear breeze; that's if you exclude the scent of pollution in the sky and my best friend’s. Although this is how it is normally when I don't feed, lack of strength, heightened senses. It's never pleasing.

"Jess, look at you. Pale like a ghost. Your roots are turning white. You should have feed earlier," Steph argued. "This shouldn't be happening to you every time if you had just fed on time." I sighed heavily, looking up at her with strands of my hair still covering my face. There was anger, frustration in her voice and the plain worried was plastered all over her face. "And the color of your eyes are fading right now." She began to look around, then sighing before bending her knees to put away my notebook and pen back in my bag. "Come with me. We're going to the bathroom, to get you fed," she said, taking my hand.

I looked horrified at the option she had given me. “Steph, that’s not happening,” I fired back. What was she thinking? When Hangeng was only a call away, she decides to be my source of blood. There was also her father to deal with, who would have a fit that was something larger than life, arguing with her and my guardians. He would even ban her from ever seeing me ever again. "You're insane. Do you want to get screamed at for the umpteen times from your dad? Look at what happened last time, you nearly passed out due to the lack of blood. You're human, not a godly creature." She didn’t even listen to the words I said as she dragged me through the bathroom doors. I was pulled into the biggest stall while Stephanie locked the door behind her. My lack of energy caused me to slowly slip down to the floor. I leaned against the wall and nearly vomited at the scent of the place. Why the bathroom of all places?

“Come on,” she whispered, pulling her sleeve up as she knelt down beside me. My best friend offered her wrist while her hand was reaching in her pockets to pull out a switch blade. It was something she kept around whenever she needed to crave spells into the dirt ground. “And remember, I’m also not human. I have the blood of a hunter, witch, and alchemist. So don’t make me cut myself open.” I watched as she threatened to open her own blood vessel, for my sake. I couldn’t let her do that, but I was the one who got in this situation in the first place. Stephanie sighed, “Hangeng is across campus, there is no way we could make it there in time. It’s better this way.”

She moved the blade to her wrist; I could hear her sharply inhale at the pain, but it was already too late. The moment the crimson liquid drew out, I had reached for her wrist before I could notice what was happening and how hungry I was for blood. My fangs had pierced her skin, the taste of metallic iron gushed down my throat as I drank from my best friend. The burning cooled as I retracted my fangs, but Stephanie was already feeling weak in her knees after I took several gulps. I could feel her shaking as she tried to remain calm. Her breathing became shallow as I drank more. This wasn’t good. The moment I barely took my lips off her arm, she whacked my head. I finally felt the colors return to my cheeks as I drank. Her blood dripped out from my lips and spilled over my chin, then staining my clothes.

“Don’t be stupid,” she breathed, “You’re not back to normal yet. Your eyes are still glowing red which means your strength and magic isn’t bac-” It was then the two of us looked towards the bathroom door. Loud laughter and giggles erupted through the place. This wasn’t good for Stephanie and me. With a bit of my senses coming back to me, I could hear my best friend’s heart beat race. The spike of adrenaline with the lack of blood loss wasn’t the best combination for her at the moment.

She was already losing balance as I released her wrist from my grip. I quickly stood up, getting a hold of her in my arms. “Hang in there,” I whispered, her weight was a bit too heavy for me with my current strength since I still needed more blood to fully recover. It wasn’t until I picked up a familiar scent which made me roll my eyes, but silently and mentally, I was relieved at the arrival of the next guest.