Chapter 4.0

Fairy Tale Happenings

  "Feeling better?"

  The old man merely sniffed in reply, as he took the warm soup in his hand. Yoseob's favourite blue blanket, that he got from his mother, was wrapped around the old man to keep him warm. His eyes looked tired and red, from all the crying and he seemed to have thinned down from his trip. He was tired, and he just wanted to go home. To go back to his only family member. But he was forced to give up his son to do so. He was forced to give up his only family member just to go home to his family.

  "I'm so sorry, Yoseob."

  Gikwang and Doojoon exchanged worried looks. The old man has been muttering to himself even when he had woken up. Gikwang did his best to prepare a good breakfast, but he could only find enough ingredients to make a simple soup to eat with bread. There was jam, but he wasn't sure if Yoseob's father would like it.

  Doojoon who had just gotten down, was munching on an apple he had somehow brought over from last night. He was supposed to be working on the weapons. He has to leave soon to go to his work shop. He had packed all the tools he need to bring along in his brown bag. But first, he has to stop somewhere first.

  "You're leaving, already?" Gikwang asked, glancing his way as he ate the warm soup he made. It tasted a bit bland, maybe he should do a bit of Yoseob's grocery later.

  "Yeah, I need to get Hyunseung's body measurements," he told the younger, before grinning at his own words.

  "Don't even think about it."

  Later, after Gikwang had washed and cleaned himself for the day, he could see that Yoseob's father was now lying on the small sofa bed, that he had refused to leave since last night. He was fast asleep, muttering now and then. Gikwang smiled softly at him, before going to get the basket. He made sure his clothes were all set and proper, before making sure everything around the house shop was fine. He and Doojoon had stayed over the night before to keep the old man company, and he was set on making sure the house was left as it is when Yoseob gets back.

  "Bye ahjussi, I'll come back with some food for you, okay?" Gikwang said, softly, just as he shut the door behind him.

  "Who are you talking to?"

  Gikwang jumped and turned to see a familiar brunette peering at him, curiously, "Ah, Kibum, you startled me."

  The younger shook his head, "It's Key. Kibum is the one with Donghae hyung."

  "Right, Key," Gikwang said, still unfamiliar with the new name. "What are you doing here? How's Jonghyun? I heard he got into some kind of accident?"

  "He's fine. The idiot got himself in trouble with some trolls," Key said, waving the topic off as if it was irrelevant. "Anyway, I was here to see if Yoseob had any books on western cooking. Onew hyung wants something called chicken chop, and has been bugging me non stop."

  "Yoseob's not here," Gikwang told him, a bit uncertain if he should. Key was known to be quite a gossip. "He had to go look for some herbs or something to help his father."

  Okay, that half-lie came out of nowhere.

  "Ah, really? I guess I'll just come back later," the younger replied, as he took it in thoughtfully. "Oh, before I forget, you're coming to Mir's little gathering tomorrow?"

  "Probably not."

  "Come on, it's the poor guy's last night as a free man," Key told him. "Joon would probably have him chained after that."

  Gikwang chuckled at the comment. It was true that the bubbly Mir had finally cracked Lee Joon's supposedly iced heart. The older had swooped in just as Mir was planning to ask out a girl called Minah. A simple moment of jealousy had Joon confessing his feelings. Sometimes Gikwang wondered if it was easier being a Cupid rather than a fairy guardian. That was months ago, and now the couple was engaged and was to be married. Of course, each of them was to have a type of bachelor party to honor their last days of being unmarried. 

  "It's also on the night before Hyunseung's birthday," Gikwang pointed out. "I'm needed here."

  "Please, that little prince of yours has protection from practically everybody, even without you around," Key scoffed. "Come on, it'll be fun. A night out. You can leave the morning after to help Hyunseung get ready and stuff. You can work your magic then."

  "Maybe," he replied, still uncertain,

  "Think about it, okay?" Key said, before letting out an annoyed huff. "I have to go, Taemin's playing with the apples again. That boy seriously didn't learn his lesson from before. I'll see you tomorrow."

  Gikwang waved, awkwardly, wondering what the other was talking about when he noticed a white dove flying by and landed on Key's shoulder. Ah, his pet must have told him something.

  Gikwang finally left to go to the market, as he planned earlier. He thought back to the conversation, and wondered if he should go to the gathering. It was small and harmless, and he did want to support Mir and help him shake off any signs of cold feet. But Hyunseung's birthday was too close, and if the prophecy was correct, the curse might happen. That would mean the King and Queen would want to double the protection.

  Decisions. Decisions. But first things first, what should he make for lunch?

~~~

This is quite short, I have to admit. But first recap for those who doesn't get it ;

Hyunseung was cursed as a baby, making him our Sleeping Beauty, and just like the fairytale, he is completely oblivious to the curse. Plus, he doesn't know that Gikwang is a fairy let alone guardian. He was cursed to prick his finger on a rose, which meant that roses are banned in the kingdom. This was why Hyunseung was curious about the rose, and why Gikwang was worried when Yoseob told him about it. Yoseob's father had returned from a very long journey. The old man made a mistake of dealing with a stranger along the way just to return home and he regrets it since he had to give up Yoseob. On the night of the day his Dad returned, Yoseob was picked up by a couple of strangers and was brought to a castle filled with talking animals. His father, on the other hand, was being taken care of by Gikwang and Doojoon, a friend of Gikwang's and a blacksmith. The elder is also in charge of Hyunseung's armor.

Now, Hyunseung's birthday is just two days away, and Gikwang is expected to keep an extra close eye on him. But his friend, Mir is having his engagement party and he really wants to go. But should he?

~~~

If you have anymore questions, just ask. The story revolves around a sort of remake of Sleeping Beauty and Beauty & The Beast. Any other fairytale characters mentioned in the author's note are just side characters or cameos.

revelation ;

Gikwang will soon be on the hunt for his own princess prince.

~~~

Character chart is made by ipsycho from ゚Extraordinary ゚ -- Graphic Shop