Chapter 2

Fairy Tale Happenings

 

  "Hyung?"
  He blinked and turned to his friend who was eyeing him, concerned.
  "I'm fine," he lied. "Just a little tired."
  Gikwang nodded, and looked around the shop, noting one of the reading chairs looks a bit damp, "Is your Dad home?"
  "What? Why?" Yoseob asked, surprised that the subject was suddenly brought up.
  "Nothing, I was just asking," Gikwang said, eyeing him carefully. "Are you okay?"
  "Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry," he apologized. "Just feeling a bit-"
  "Tired, you told me," the younger finished. "Hyung, what's actually going on?"
  "My Dad got back last night," he finally said, after second of silence.
  "I figured."
  "When he came back last night, it was storming outside," Yoseob told him. "Now he's down with a high fever."
  "Oh, maybe I could see him?" Gikwang suggested. "I could do something."
  "It's fine, just save your magic for Hyunseung," Yoseob said, smiling gratefully. He knew the younger was only trying to help.
  Gikwang sighed and frowned, apparently most citizens seem to think his magic should only be for the precious prince. He doesn't have anything against Hyunseung, but sometimes he felt he should help the others too. There were times he could tell they were desperate for help, any kind, but he didn't understand why they didn't want his.
  "Yoseob-"
  "I'm sorry, can you go?" Yoseob asked. "I need to check on my dad."
  "It's fine," Gikwang said, getting up. "If you need my help, you know where to get me."
 
•••
  "Master?"
  "He'll come," the large beast replied, not taking his eyes off the mirror.
  "Then, we should get you ready," a voice of an older woman said. "We have to make you look nice."
 
•••
  "Kiki, where'd you go?" Hyunseung whined.
  "Hey hyung," Gikwang said, before eyeing the white robe. "What are you wearing?"
  Hyunseung let out a huff, before pulling up the robe and sat on his bed, crossing his arms, "This is my birthday outfit, apparently."
  "I thought you already had an outfit."
  "Umma said I need to wear this since it's a formal occasion," he said, sulkily. "It's my birthday, I should get to wear whatever I want."
  "Your Mum wants you to wear a dress?" Gikwang asked, holding back a laugh. It was beginning to sink in what was going on then.
  "It's not a dress, it's a robe," the prince corrected.
  "A dress robe then," he shrugged. "It's still a dress."
  "I don't look fat, do I?" Hyunseung asked, looking down at the frilly white robe. "I think I look fat."
  "You look fine, weird but fine," Gikwang told him, grinning. "You're going to be the most beautiful princess at the party."
  Hyunseung glared at the grinning guy and picked up a pillow to throw at him. Apparently that only set the younger off, and he continued hitting him to try and make the laugh stop coming. Gikwang had a hard time catching his breath in between laughs and hits.
  Fortunately for him, just then there was a knock on the door. Hyunseung gave him one last hit before calling whoever it was in. Gikwang quickly sat up just as the door swung open. The sound of metals clanking with each other came in the room. A young man that seemed to be slightly older than the both of them was pushing in some of the knight weapons and suits
  "It's time for your fitting, your highness," Doojoon announced.
  "How many fittings are there?" Gikwang asked, tilting his head in confusion.
  "I don't know, Umma has been making me do so many fittings. Not to mention that Appa had already doubled the castle security. I can't even go out at night anymore," Hyunseung said, pulling up his dress and went behind his changing curtain. "I'll be right out."
  Gikwang got up and walked to the crate full of weapons. Doojoon, being in charge of them, was carefully choosing weapons that aren't too dangerous but can still be able to kill people with it. He ran over some of the armors that might fit the skinny prince. Maybe the King and Queen should've gotten Hyunseung to work out more cause its hard to find armors in small sizes.
  "What's all this for?"
  "Just some things to help train the Prince to protect himself," he answered. "His birthday is in a few days."
  Gikwang didn't say anything as his eyes went over the weapons and armors. His birthday is in a few days. The curse should happen in a few days. Of course, everyone will be on their toes to see to it that it won't happen. His job will get harder in the next few days. 
  "Hyunseung can barely lift a knife, let alone a sword," Gikwang said, taking a large sword out and turning it in his hands.
  "I heard that!"
  The two exchanged grins, hearing the prince's indignant tone. Doojoon can't help but smirked, "You need help?"
  "No, I'm...um....fine," Hyunseung replied, with much difficulty as he battled with the robe. He hoped it didn't show in his voice that much.
  "You sure?" Gikwang asked, running his hand over a silver chest plate. The prince didn't answer.
  "Hey, you're coming home tonight?" Doojoon asked, taking it away from him.
  The younger pouted, "Yeah, I guess, the royal family has some special dinner planned or something and there'll be enough knights, so I won't have to be there."
  "Good, it's your turn to cook dinner tonight," Doojoon informed him with a happy smile.
  "Didn't I already cook last time?"
  "That was days ago," he replied. "Now, it's your turn again."
  Gikwang frowned and eyed his hyung, "What have you been eating while I was gone?"
  The older didn't reply and merely ignore the question. 
  The two had met a couple of years ago when Doojoon was in desperate need of a job and thought maybe this kingdom would give him one. Gikwang was then trying to show Hyunseung how most of his citizens live when he's not around. He had somehow lost the prince along the way, and was searching for him. Doojoon on the other hand was surprised to see Hyunseung bent down trying to learn from a child how to make a flower necklace or something. He didn't really pay much attention accept thought that the man was weird. It wasn't until he met Gikwang who was asking around, that he realized Hyunseung was actually part of royalty. He remembered how Gikwang was so grateful to him and kept thanking him when he barely did anything. But when the younger offered a place, he couldn't easily turn it down. He owed the younger a lot since Gikwang was also the one who got him a job and an income.
  "Okay, I'm ready," Hyunseung said, finally appearing with a loose shirt and simple pants.
  "Took you long enough," Doojoon muttered.
  "Here hyung, try this on," Gikwang said, tossing a helmet to Hyunseung.
  The prince barely caught it and almost stumbled back. He glared at his friend, before putting it on. It suddenly became dark around him, "Um, hello? Did I put this on backwards?"
  "Here, you just have to push this up," Doojoon said, helping him.
  "Oh," the prince said, stepping back in surprise when he realized how close he was. He took off the helmet brushed his hair slightly.
  "Do I really have to wear this?"
  "Ne, in case your opponent tried bashing your brains out," Doojoon told him, hiding a grin when he saw Hyunseung's eyes widened. "Now, here, try holding this."
  The latter picked up the sword uncertainly. He had seen his knights practicing with it a couple of times and though they weren't exactly doing harm to each other, he knew it could still kill if used for it. His hands around the golden handle and the blade seemed to shine as he turned it around carefully. It didn't feel as heave as he expected. But it also didn't lessen his fear of the weapon.
  Doojoon noticing his look, said, "You only have to take it out and use it when you're absolutely sure you need to. Meanwhile, you can always put it in here. It's made out of leather, strong enough that the best swords won't pierce through it so easily."
  He handed the pouch to him, which Hyunseung took gratefully and kept the sword in. In all his life, this is the first time he's actually holding a real weapon. He wasn't exactly sure how he felt about it.
  "Is this mine?" He asked, strapping the pouch around his waist.
  "Oh no, we're just testing to see how heavy the weapon should be and how it is to your liking," Doojoon told him. "A custom made one will be made for you."
  The prince nodded, when his eyes caught something in the middle of all the weapons, "Why do you have a hammer?"
  "It's a metal hammer."
  "So? Why do you need it?"
  Gikwang shook his head, "Hyung, people use it to bit their opponent's head or you know other parts. It helps when you're trying to knock some sense into someone."
  A mischievous grin played on Hyunseung's lips, "Can I try it on you?"
  "What? No."
  "Why? I'm the prince, I should be able to try it if I want to," he pouted.
  "You could kill me with that thing!"
  Hyunseung was about to retort something when a small knock on the door caught the men's attention. A young maiden gave a bow and told them, "The King and Queen would like to see Gikwang, Your Highness."
  The prince sighed, not wanting his friend to go but knowing its not his choice, gave a nod. Gikwang gave them both a quick bow before following the maiden who was already making her way back. He didn't really bother to try and catch up, since he already knew his way about.
  In the royal chamber, the King was busy pacing side to side while talking to his wife who seemed even more nervous. One of the knights in the roomo let them both know that Gikwang was there and the you her bowed before them. The King sat on his throne for a second, before getting back up.
  "Gikwang ssi, how are you doing with the job of taking care of our son?" The King asked.
  "Fine, I'm doing the best I can," he answered, his tone calmer than he actually was.
  "Good, well the time has come for you to double it," he said. 'As you know, the day of the curse is just around the corner. I want my son to be up and well on his special day."
  "Yes sir."
  "So I want you to use your magic on his weapons."
  "His weapons?" Gikwang asked. "Is that really a good idea? What if the weapons are used against him?"
  "Maybe not his weapons, maybe just his armor suit," the Queen suggested.
  "Fine, just his suit then," the King said. "I want him to be well protected that day. I want you to use some kind of spell or charm that makes sure no one can touch my son. You're close with Doojoon ssi, right?"
  "Yes, sir."
  "Good, we already told him about this earlier and I want you two to make sure his suit can protect him at least till the night. At night, we will be having a ball in his honor, then, I want to make sure you keep a close watch on him. Make sure no one suspicious lays a finger on him. Understand?
  Gikwang nodded, though his mind was already turning. A spell to protect the Prince? What kind of spell? He'll have to check in his book of spells. It'll be a long night, tonight.
 
•••
Although that night seemed long and tiring for Gikwang, for others it was a time they're dreading. In an old book shop, a young man was busy preparing for his sudden trip, and at the same time, making sure his father would be well and have enough food for while he's gone. The older man was lying on a couch, his eyes barely kept open.
  "No, Yoseob, you shouldn't," the old man said, cursing himself for being in such a weak state. "You can't."
  "Appa, he did his part of the deal," Yoseob said softly. "Now it's your turn to keep yours."
  "Yoseob, please, I'll figure something else out," he said, his voice sounding weak and desperate. "Just don't go."
  "I have to, or you won't get well," the younger replied. "Besides, they'll be here to pick me up soon."
  "Wh-who's going to take care of me while you're gone?" He asked, sounding a bit pathetic. "I don't want to be alone."
  Yoseob took a deep breath, before replying, "If what you said is true, and he is a man of his words, you'll be fine in the morning."
  "Yoseob, please...."
 
•••
  "I can't believe it, he's actually coming."
  "Quickly, everyone lets clean this place up!" She said, as she began to hand out orders and chores. Grumbles could be heard, but she wasn't one to actually pay attention to them.
 
•••
  "Aish, so tiring," Doojoon whined, rubbing his neck. "You're cooking dinner tonight, right?"
  "Yes hyung, though I might just fry some eggs and make a sandwich or something," Gikwang replied.
  "Whatever, as long as its better than what they serve at the tavern."
  "You went to the tavern?!"
  "Just to eat, I didn't drink that much," the older replied. Just then, a sound caught his ear. He stopped in his tracks and turned just in time to see a carriage passed by.
  "What the-?"
  "What's wrong, hyung?" Gikwang asked, just as the sounds of horse neighing reached his ears. Instinctively, he took hold of Doojoon's arm and gave him a signal to be quiet.
  The latter nodded and the two silently followed the source of the sound. They hid behind a clothed stall when sounds of footstep began to get closer. Gikwang peeked on top, and saw a couple of figures making their way to the book store and knocking on the door. They didn't have to wait long, when it swung open and pitiful sobs could be heard. A cloaked figure got out and followed the other figures.
  Doojoon quickly pulled Gikwang down when the younger seemed to want to go follow them. He gave him a sign and gestured to where a small carriage was waiting. Two dark horses were pulling at the rope while another figure, a man it seems, were holding on to them, making sure none of the creatures could break free. The cloaked figure were surrounded by the others as they all got on to the carriage one at a time. It wasn't long before the carriage had left and the only sound that could be heard was the sobbing from inside the book store.
  Gikwang quickly got up to check before Doojoon could stop him. The door was left ajar and he could see the old man lying on the couch, his face buried in his hands.
  "They took him," the man seemed to say. "They took the only family I had left. They took Yoseob!"
  Gikwang bent down next to the man, which he now realized was Yoseob's father, and patted him comfortingly, a bit unsure as what to do and how to help. The old man didn't seem to notice there was someone else as he continued crying. Doojoon watched the whole scene unfold, and a memory seemed to be playing in his head. A sense of déjà Vu waving over him.
 
  "You let him kill my daughter!"
  "I'm-I'm sorry," he said, though he knew it was meaningless.
  "What kind of hunter are you?"
  He winced at the harsh tone of the older man. The sound of his wife sobbing over what's left of their daughter, a small torn piece of red cloth. 
 
  He suddenly wished the ground could swallow him there and then, knowing he was once again, useless.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tadaa! What do you think? Needs a bit of work, in my opinion. Anyways, comment and tell me what you think.
The next chapter will be more focused on Yoseob's arrival and maybe an appearance from Junhyung.
Poster and background made by mynameisjae from ✑ B L A C K P E A R L // POSTER SHOP
*this is unedited so please forgive my grammar errors.