Prologue

Fairy Tale Happenings

 

It started at a party, a party that the King and Queen threw to honor their new baby. A party that was supposed to be celebrated and cherished by all. It was their son's first birthday after all. The whole kingdom took part of the celebration. In the morning, everyone was busy preparing, by lunch, they were queuing up to see the precious new baby.
  "Look at him, so cute!"
  "I just want to pinch his cheeks!"
  The maidens were so busy cooing over the baby, they barely noticed when the King, himself, came over. The baby boy, recognizing his own father, reached out his little arms.
  "Aw, look, he wants a hug," one of the maidens said, delighted. She made a move to hold him, when he suddenly rolled over.
  The King let out a laugh at his son's antics, startling the maidens. Realizing his highness was there, they gave a quick bow and left. The King picked up his son and cradled him, gently. He raised the little boy lightly as if to toss him.
  "Don't do that, you'll kill him," the Queen scolded her husband.
  He pouted, "I was only having some fun."
  The little baby made a gurgling noise, smiling widely.
  "It's your first birthday, my boy," his father told him. 
 
•••
  "You'll have a beauty that no one from this kingdom can compare to," the blonde haired girl said, giving a little wave.
  "A curiosity with any little thing there is," Kyuhyun added.
  "An appetite so large that-"
  "Ahem."
  Hyukjae stopped, smiling sheepishly. The Queen gave him a look, "What are you trying to do?"
  "I just don't want to be seen as the one who eats the most in the kingdom," he said, apologetically.
  Seeing his wife's glare, the King intervened, "You're not, Onew ssi eats more I think."
  Laughter erupted from the crowd, and Hyukjae made a little bow, before turning to the baby, "Despite the large appetite, your body stays fit and strong."
  The Queen made an approving nod, when her little boy reached out to grab the little sparkle around. The next person came up to give his present, but was interrupted rudely by a loud sound and a flash of smoke.
  "What a lovely party you're having? But why am I not the invite list?"
  The crowd turned and parted in fear of the dark tall wizard that had arrived. Out of instinct the King stood up, and made a signal to the guards to prepare themselves.
  "No need to point," the wizard said, pushing the sharp tip away. The guard closest to him had taken out his sword and was trying to threaten him with it.
  He was just about to cast a little curse on the guard, when he caught sight of the small boy. Instantly, he was drawn to him, and went up to the birthday boy.
  "How adorable," he said, caressing the baby's face.
  "Don't touch my son!" The Queen said, wanting to go rescue her baby, but was instantly blocked by a couple of guards.
  "Yah, Dongwoon ssi, you know you're not invited here," the King spoke up, holding himself from attacking the wizard then and there, knowing what's at stake. "Leave now!"
  "Ah, I can't leave without giving my present, can I?" He took the baby's chin, and stared into his eyes, despite the baby's uncomfortableness. "Your parents give you riches, witches give you beauty, the sorcerers giving you brain and everything else. But you shall learn, my dear, that everything comes with a price. All these gifts, they're worthless."
  They could feel a wind blowing strongly, around the baby and the tall wizard. They could hear the baby beginning to cry but no one was powerful enough to interrupt. Anyone brave enough to try and attempt any help was instantly blown away by some unseen forces.
  "Keep your gifts, but till you reach the age of eighteen, a rose you shall pick. A bright red rose, it's thorny stem where your finger shall prick," the wizard said, before adding in a whisper. "And how you shall die."
  A puff of smoke, and he was gone. Everyone seemed to snap out of a daze when the Queen rushed to her precious son, and let out a cry. They could hear her sobbing. Guilt filled the air as some realized they could've or should've something earlier. The King patted his wife's back, as a sign of comfort. But even he was confused and upset.
  At that time, it was clear, the wizard's appearance had clearly ruined the mood. Even the castle's fool didn't know what to do.
  "Um, your highness?"
  The Queen looked up at the voice, and she had a fearful look in her eyes when they landed on another wizard. Everyone was looking at him, now wondering what he was up to.
  "If you may, I could try to lighten the spell," he said, a bit timidly. Even he wasn't sure if it was possible, but he needed to try.
  "Can't you just break it?" The King asked.
  He shook his head, and shrunk back under the King's watchful eyes, "It's too strong for me to break. But I could change it so it won't kill him."
  The Queen gave him a once over, before handing the baby over, a bit reluctant. But she will try everything, after what happened. The baby didn't want to leave his mother's arm and was trying to not be given away.
  Gikwang gently carried the baby in his arms, and whispered softly, "A red rosé you shall pick, where your finger shall prick. Leaving the world is no choice, instead you shall sleep."
  The tip of his fingers glowed that lead to the baby. Instantly, the baby calmed down and fell asleep in his arms. A small smile played on the wizard's lip.
  "Happy birthday, Hyunseung ah."
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Poster above made by exojjang0702 from T W O || M O O N S : G R A P H I C || S H O P