I Can Read Minds??!

You're Cute When You Smile [Jongkey Oneshot]

For this love story to make sense, I'm going to begin with the day I fell down the flight of stairs. Thinking about it now still makes my head hurt...

 

6 YEARS AGO

 

~May 26~

*beep beep*

Ugh, another day at school. Maybe another 5 minutes of sleep would be okay...

 

"Key? .... Key?!" I awoke to someone shaking me and sat up in bed. 

I rubbed my eyes and looked up at the familiar figure. I put my glasses on and the face of my mother came into focus. "Yeah, mom?"

"Do you have school today? Why didn't you tell me you had a day-off today?" I looked at her confused.

"That's because there isn't..." She glanced at the wall and I followed her gaze to the clock. "HOLY ." 

"Key, darling, I don't prohibit bad words in this house!" 

I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom. My mom followed me as I quickly brushed my teeth. "You slept in, didn't you?"

"Why didn't you wake me?!" I screamed, my mouth foaming with toothpaste. 

"Yah, it's not my fault you decided to sleep when your alarm went off!" 

Goodness... I dried my mouth and made my way to the closet, grabbing my school uniform. 

I didn't want to look at the time, but I did anyway. It was 8:10. Ugh.. and it takes me another 10 minutes to get to school!! Why me?!

 

I burst through my homeroom door and quickly sat in my seat. 

"Well well well, look who decided to get here now," Woohyun whispered to me. 

"Shut up! I accidentally slept in!"

"Kim Kibum, please explain your tardiness to the whole class," the teacher said to me with his arms folded. I looked up at him and stood up from my seat. I bowed deeply. 

"I'm so sorry sensei! I slept in..." I hung my head in shame. This is the first time I've been late. I've always been a model student.

"Since you are one of Tokyo High School's top students, I'll let it pass just this once." 

I smiled and sat back down in my seat. "Gosh, Key, stop being such a teacher's pet..." Woohyun said as sensei continued on with the lecture. 

Woohyun was one of my best friends from middle school. We went to school in America, but got accepted here. You can say that he's smarter than me, but I'm obviously better looking. 

 

I ALWAYS fall asleep in math class. Math has always been my best subject, so it didn't really matter if I didn't pay attention to the lessons. I always pass the exams~ Usually the teacher doesn't care, but today she was in a bad mood.

"KEY." I lifted my head up from the desk and looked over at the wall clock. 

"Oh, sweet! Time for lunch. Thanks for waking me, sensei!" I picked up my bag and was about to get up from my desk when she stood in front of me. "Um, sensei, you're in my way."

"You know Key, you can't always sleep in this class. I understand that you're well above the other students, but at least stay awake in my class!" 

"Sorry, sensei. I won't do it again!" 

"But that's the thing... you always do. That's why today you will skip lunch and do extra work."

"What?! But I'm passing your class! I have the highest grade in here!" 

"It doesn't matter." She put a stack of papers on my desk. "Or you can help file these papers for me." 

I looked at the stack. "There's so much... but... I'd rather file." 

"Ok, be back here by the end of lunch. You'll need to go to the teacher's lounge and put them in my cabinet."

I made my way out the door with the papers. 

"Excuse me! Boy with a stack of important papers coming through!" 

"Key!" I heard someone yell behind me. Before I made my way down the staircase, I turned around and Woohyun was standing before me. "You coming to lunch soon? I was going to save a seat for you."

"Ah, thanks, but I got in trouble for sleeping in sensei's room so I have to help her file these papers."

"Oh ok, do you need help? I don't want you falling down these stairs."

"No, it's ok. I, of course, can handle it."

I was so wrong. 

My foot tried to find the first step, but I was off by a little bit. I heard Woohyun's yell, saw his hand trying to grab my arm and the papers flying all around me before I hit the ground. 

 

I slowly opened my eyes and saw white all around me. I must be in the nurse's office... 

"He's awake!" I looked over to the voice to see Woohyun and my parents standing beside the bed. 

"What are you guys doing here?" I sat up and felt a throbbing in my head. "Ow!" I clutched my head and winced. 

"Oh no, is he ok?!" I heard Woohyun say.

"I'm alright, Woohyun."

"Huh?" He looked confused. "I didn't say anything..."

"Are you alright, honey? My mom put her hand on my shoulder. "Ugh, this boy was always a klutz! Now I'm going to have to take money out of our vacation for these stupid medical bills."

"What vacation?" I looked up at my mom. 

"What? I didn't say anything about a vacation." She looked shocked.

"But you just mentioned it! And you called me a klutz!" Her eyes widened.

"I didn't say anything like that!" 

My father put his hand on my forehead. "You feeling alright?" 

"Yeah, dad..." 

"I'm missing an important show because of this... dear is right, our son is such a ..." 

I looked up at dad with wide eyes. "I'm not a !" 

"What?" He looked at my mom and then me with a confused look.

"Awake already, dear?" The nurse walked in and over to me. She put a hand to my head and then looked at my eyes. "Hmm... you have a slight concussion... but you should be alright soon."

"Oh that's a relief," Woohyun said. 

"Damn... wasting my time like this! School is already over and I had to wait for over an hour for him to wake up. I need to get home!"

I looked at the nurse in horror. She noticed I was staring at her and smiled at me. "Are you feeling ok? Please say yes so I can go home!"

I nodded. "Oh, that's good." She looked over at my parents. "It's alright for him to go home now." 

I got up from the bed. 

"Come on honey, let's go home." 

"Ah finally! Please, go away!"

During the car ride home, I was still in disbelief. Their mouths were't moving at all when I heard those things. Does this mean I could read minds?... Oh my goodness.. what happened to me?

And man... I didn't know that my parents thought of me so negatively... at least I know Woohyun truly cares for me. 

I got home and changed into my pajamas, not caring about my homework. I lay in bed and stared at the ceiling. Maybe this is just a weird side effect of the concussion. Hopefully when I wake up tomorrow morning, this will be over...

 

~May 27~

I woke up and looked over at the clock. 6:30... I woke up before the alarm this time. Well, at least I know that I won't be late. I got up out of bed and got dressed. It wouldn't hurt to be early. 

I made my way downstairs and met my mom in the hallway. She was all dressed up and looked like she was about to head out the door.

"Oh my gosh, why is he awake already? It's too early! This ruins my plans..." 

OH YEAH. I can read minds.

"Hi, honey!" She greeted me with a smile. "Awake so early?"

"I don't want to be late today. Are you gonna make breakfast?"

"Breakfast! I don't have time for that! Key is a grown man. He should be learning how to cook for his future wife. How is he ever going to learn?"

"Actually, I have somewhere to be~ Here." She gave me some money for breakfast and lunch. "Just grab something at school," she said with a fake smile. She planted a kiss on my forehead. "Bye for now, dear! Have a good day at school!" 

 

I entered the cafeteria to find a few students here and there. I bought some french toast and milk and sat myself down at an empty table by the windows. I stared outside while taking a bite of my toast. 

Before I knew it, the bell rang and I made my way into the hallway. 

That's when it happened....

"Ugh, another day at this hellhole!"

"Omg, did I just get my period?...."

"Oh, it's Key. He always makes the schoool uniform look good."

"I FORGOT TO DO MY HOMEWORK.... oh well, I'll just copy from someone."

Everyone's thoughts flooded into my head, and I couldn't handle it. I covered my ears and ran to my homeroom. 

"Hey, why is that guy running?"

"Is Key okay?"

I walked into homeroom still clutching my head and sat down in my seat. Woohyun was already there copying down today's lesson plan that was on the board. 

"Oh, he's not late today... is his head still hurting?"

"Yeah, it is!" 

"Huh?" he looked at me confused. "You ok?"

"Yeah, my head just hurts a lot..." 

Suddenly, the whole class started coming into the classroom and I could hear all their thoughts at the same time! I covered my ears, but even I knew that that wasn't going to help. 

"I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!" I yelled. Sensei, Woohyun, and all my other classmates were looking at me.

"Didn't Key fall off the staircase yesterday?"

"Is he ok?"

"Did that fall make him go mental?"

I ran out of the class and into the empty hallway. I sighed. Good thing it was empty. I heard someone come outside of the classroom and looked over to see sensei. 

"Key, are you alright?"

"Not really..."

"Maybe you should go home and have more rest."

"Yeah, I think I'll go too..." 

 

When I got to my house, I saw a mysterious guy sitting on my porch steps.

Oh my gosh... who is this? 

He suddenly looked up at me and our eyes met. He stood up and started to make his way to me. 

What shoud I do? What if he hurts me? 

I held my bag tightly as he approached me. 

As he got closer and closer, I started to back away. "Please don't hurt me! Just take my bag and leave!" I made an X with my arms and blocked my face. 

"Are you stupid? Did you seriously think I was going to hurt you?" I put my arms down and looked over at him. He was pretty tall... and intimidating. He had his arms folded and a scowl on his face. 

"Hey! I'm not stupid! I don't know you and you were waiting here for me, what was I supposed to think?"

"Kim Kibum, right?"

"Yeah, but I prefer being called Key."

"Kibum, are you ready to go?" 

He continued to look at me with a frown. What the heck... did he not hear that I liked being called Key? 

"Ready to go where?" 

"To your new school."

"New school?" 

"Yeah. Now pack your things and let's go."

What the heck... who does this guy think he is... and why couldn't I read his mind?

"You're a telepath right? You can read people's minds?"

"Huh? How did you know that? Have you been stalking me?!" 

"Stop asking stupid questions."

"Then stop being... stupid!" He glared at me. 

"Stupid questions and stupid comebacks..." He sighed. "My name is Choi Minho. Our school found out that you have a special power, and I'm here to take you to our school in Seoul to better control your power."

"What?... There's a school for people like me?"

"I go there and other kids. Your psych is the ability to read people's minds, which means you're telepathic. You've been trying to penetrate into my thoughts, but I've been blocking you. But you're different than the other students."

Wow... "What's your psych? And why am I different?"

"So, are you ready to go or not?" 

What the hell, does this guy ignore everything I say?

"But... I can't just leave my school, family and friends!"

"You'd rather live your life with painstaking headaches?" 

"B-but..." 

"Fine. Whatever. You're wasting my time anyway." 

He began to walk away, but I contemplated his words in my mind. 

"Wait! I-I'll go!" 

"I'll be back in an hour. Be ready by then."

 

I had packed all my things and sat on my bed looking around at the empty room. "I'm going to a high school in Seoul for people like me..." 

I made my way downstairs with my suitcase to find Woohyun and my mom there. 

"Why do you have your suitcase packed?" 

"Woohyun, mom, I have some news. Ever since yesterday, after the incident, I've been able to read people's minds."

"What, is he crazy?" I heard mom think.

"No, I'm not crazy mom."

Her eyes grew wide. 

Suddenly, Minho walked in. "You ready?"

"The hell? Who is this boy? You're not allowed to barge into people's houses!" 

Minho completely ignored her and grabbed my suitcase. "I'll be waiting outside with Jonghyun."

Jonghyun? Who's that? 

"You're going to leave me, Key?" I looked over at a tear-filled Woohyun. 

"I'll come back Woohyun, don't worry!" 

"Visitors are allowed at Seoul Academy." Minho said before walking out.

"Really?" He smiled at me and then gave me a tight hug. "Don't forget me."

"I promise." I squeezed him and then looked over at my mom.

"Be safe there, honey." She smiled. "And good riddance!"

 

I closed the door behind me to see Minho standing out in the middle of the road with another boy. That must be Jonghyun...

I walked over to them and Jonghyun's face brightened. "You must be Key! I'm Jonghyun, but you can call me Jjong!" He gave me an excited handshake. Wow, he's so energetic.

"Jongyhun, hurry up and teleport us."

"Teleport?!" My eyes grew wide. 

Jonghyun laughed. "Yep. I'm a teleporter, and to get to Seoul Academy we have to teleport there. The high school is in the moutains so..."

"Mountains?!" 

"Haha, you're a funny one aren't you?" He patted my head. 

"Seoul Academy is in the mountains since no one other than people like us can find the school."

"What if some hikers stumble upon the place?"

"Oh, that's no problem! Our administrators can erase their memory." 

Minho cleared his throat. "We're going to be late if we don't leave now."

Wow, people with the ability to erase memories...

"Oh, yeah! I forgot, haha. Maybe I just like talking to Key." He looked over at me and winked. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks. 

"What's Minho's psych?" 

"Oh him?" He looked over at Minho and Minho glared at him. "He doesn't like using it, he's too much of a coward."

"No, I am not."

"Oh come on, no one's ever seen your psych. It must be stupid since you don't want anyone to know of it."

Minho's eyes chaged blood red and I gasped. 

"Oh, you wanna play it like that Kim Jonghyun?" 

"Bring it on, Choi Minho." Jjong stuck his tongue out and that seemed to anger Minho even more. 

Minho lunged at Jonghyun and punched his face. I gasped and covered my mouth. Jjong grabbed Minho's shirt and pushed him down to the ground. 

"You guys, stop!" 

They continued to fight each other as I watched in horror. 

"Stop!!" I yelled as loud as I could. 

I saw a bright flash of light and Jonghyun was standing beside me, an arm around my shoulder. Minho was still on the ground, his hand in mid-punch. Oh yeah... I forgot Jjong could teleport. 

"You know, if you could use that psych of yours, you could win." Minho got up and brushed the dirt from his school uniform. 

"Can you just teleport us out of here? You little brat..." 

Jjong just smiled and kept his arm around me. He turned to me and smiled. "I think you'd better close your eyes for this. 

Minho put his hand on Jjong's shoulder. Suddenly, all I could see around me was bright white light. I felt like I was falling 100mph when I suddenly hit the ground. "Ouch!"

"You okay, Key?" Jjong had his hand out to me and I reached for it. He helped me up and brushed the dirt off of my uniform. He looked closer at what I was wearing. "You know, you look cute in that uniform." He winked at me again and Minho rolled his eyes. 

"You really at teleporting." Minho said to Jjong.

"I looked around to see a bunch of trees. "Did we land in the middle of the forest?"

"Yeah..." Jjong chuckled and rubbed the back of his neck. "For intermediate teleporters like me, each time we teleport the destination gets more and more unclear. So the next time I teleport us, we could end up in China for all we know. Ahahaha....."

Minho just glared at him. "We should probably try to find our way out of here." He began to walk away and me and Jjong followed him. 

We walked for what seemed like hours. We didn't seem to be getting anywhere either... 

I at anything physical so I've been tired and out of breath now. I could see that Jjong was athletic and feeling fine, but he walked with me so I could keep up. Minho was far ahead of us. Those long legs of his...

He stopped and sat on a rock. "Well, good going Jjong." 

"Key, do you need to sit? You look tired." He laughed at my misery. 

All of a sudden, a cellphone started ringing. Minho took out a phone from his pocket and answered the call. While he was on the phone, I sat on a rock with Jjong standing beside me.

"Are you ready to go to a school filled with students of special powers?" He smiled at me. 

"I don't know... it feels weird being away from my home town..." I frowned a little.

"You'll get used to it! I'll be there if you need any help." He smiled and patted my head. 

Minho got off of the phone and put the cell back in his pocket. "Father called. He said we're not far from the school."

"You had a cellphone with service this whole time and didn't bother to use it?!" I glared at Minho and he scowled back at me.

"Didn't I say to stop asking stupid questions?"

"Yah, don't say that to the pretty boy! Boys have feelings too, you know!" Jjong put his arm around my shoulder. 

"Whatever. Let's just get going." Minho took off before I could stand up. 

"Hey, you should ride on my back." 

I was tired, so I accepted. 

 

"This is it?...." I stood before Seoul Academy. It looked like a normal, boring building. If I saw this building in Tokyo, I wouldn't have even took a second glance at it. 

Jjong chuckled and Minho had that same scowl on his face. "What were you expecting?"

"Well, it is a school for special students so I thought it'd look cooler than this!" 

Jjong laughed again and patted my head. "I've got to get to class now~ Have a fun time here at Seoul Academy, Key. Hope to see you soon!" He winked at me before disappearing in a flash of white light. 

Minho rolled his eyes. "I've got to get you registered, so follow me."

I couldn't keep up with Minho as he walked. "Is this your normal pace?!" 

We entered the school and the hallways were filled. Everyone's thoughts suddenly entered my mind. 

"Minho started to slow down. He said to me, "Stay behind me. These hallways can get pretty crowded."

"Is that someone walking with Minho?!"

"Who's that boy?"

"Why is he walking with Minho?"

"Is that a new student?"

"Ooh, he's cute."

"I like his hair."

We finally made it to a more deserted hallway. To the left of us was a different looking door. This must be the principal's office. I was nervous to enter since I've never been in the principal's office before...

"Minho! You guys made it!" 

I was greeted by a young looking man who looked like Minho. Whoa, Minho's father is the principal of the school?

"Hello, I'm Mr. Yoon-Kyeom Choi." He greeted me with a friendly smile and my eyes widened.

"Aren't you the principal of Tokyo High School, as well?!" 

He chuckled at my shocked expression. "Yes. You rarely see me at that school because I'm always here. Tokyo High School is the most prestigious and technologically advanced school in Japan, but it's just a base for my technology, haha." 

"Wow..." He laughed and motioned for me and Minho to sit down. 

"Key, you know why you're here, right?"

"Because I can read people's minds? I also understand that I'm a special student?..."

"Correct and correct. You see, all the students here at Seoul Academy were born with their psych. You, on the other hand, just acquired your psych yesterday, which is unsual. So, we've invited you here in order to control your powers to survive in normal society. You'll only be here on temporary notice thogh since we don't know yet if your psych still has a chance to go away." He smiled warmly at me. "Minho, you'll give him a tour, right? Show him his classes, dorm room, and such?" 

Minho nodded at his dad. "You know, you guys look good together." My eyes widened at Mr. Choi's comment and Minho glared at his dad. He exited the office and slammed the door behind him.

Mr. Choi chuckled. "Don't worry about him, Key. Have a fun time at Seoul Academy!"

 

"Ok, so this is your homeroom." I looked at the door with the gold plate that said: 4A. "Don't forget this room because this is where most of your classes will be." I nodded and repeated 4A in my mind. 

We walked to the first floor of the school and made our way to another classroom. "This is 1C, your psych class. This is where you'll learn how to control your telepathic ability." 

He then showed me to the cafeteria and then to my dorm room. "You should have a roommate, so don't be surprised if some guy barges into your room. That's about it." 

"Thanks, Minho! I'll see you around?" 

"Stop asking stupid questions." He turned around and began to walk away.

What was with that boy....

I walked up the stairs and made my way to my dorm room. Number seventeen.... it was the last door on the left. I turned the door handle, but it was surprisingly locked. 

"Huh, is someone there?" I heard from inside.

What... why is my roommate here? Shouldn't he be in class?

The door opened and a boy with brown hair and glasses opened the door. "Oh! You must be Kim Kibum, my new roommate!" He shook my hand and motioned for me to come in. He closed the door behind him. "I'm Lee Jinki."

I made my way to one of the beds and began to unpack. "Say... why aren't you in class, Jinki?"

"Oh, you can call me Onew~ And there's class? Oh man..."

"Why, what happened?"

"These guys told me that it was Sunday, so I believed them and slept in...."

I laughed. "Don't you have a calendar in here?"

"Who has time for those?" He grabbed his backpack and headed to the door. "I'll see you later, Kibum!" 

"Oh, I liked to be called Key~"

He smiled. "Ok. See you later, Key!"

He doesn't seem so bad... he seems to be gullible though...

I lay on my bed and before I knew it, I fell asleep. 

I opened my eyes and it was night time. My stomach unexpectedly growled. 

"Hungry?"

I jumped at the voice and looked to my side to see Onew on his bed. He was doing homework and listening to music. 

"Yeah... I haven't ate since breakfast."

"Oh, whoa... you should head to the cafeteria. It's open until 9~ Do you want me to show you the way?"

I smiled at him. "Nope, I can find my way."

He smiled back at me and went back to doing his homework.

 

I entered the cafeteria to find some students at the tables doing their homework. I got some soup and made my way to an empty table when someone had bumped into me. 

"Oh my!" They fell to the ground and I quickly placed my soup on the table.

"Are you alright?" I extended my hand out and he grabbed it. 

"I'm so so so so so sorry for running into you!" He bowed deeply and I laughed. 

"It's fine! Just watch where you're going next time."

He smiled at me. "I'm still so sorry! You see, a group of girls were following me and I had to get away." 

I looked up at his face after adjusting my shirt, and I could understand why girls were chasing him. He was tall and had a slim, lean figure. His blonde hair reached his shoulders and he had a cute baby face. He really was good looking.

"I could see why." He laughed. 

"My name's Lee Taemin, by the way."

"I'm Kim Kibum."

"Are you new here?"

"Yes, I just got here today."

"Oh, so you're the new guy!" He smiled at me. "Jjong was right, he is handsome."

I blushed. "Jjong said that about me?" 

"Oh." His face turned red. "You're telepathic?"

"Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to read your thoughts!" 

He smiled. "It's ok. You didn't mean it. That's why we're here, right? Well, I gotta go now~ It was nice meeting you!"

"Nice meeting you too, Taemin~" 

 

I finished my soup and headed back to my dorm room. I entered the room to find the lights out and Onew snoring. I grabbed my pajamas in the dark and changed into them in the bathroom. I blindly made my way to my bed and plopped down onto it when Onew yelled. Turns out that I had accidentally made my way to Onew's bed and fell on him. 

"Sorry, Onew! I'm stupid and didn't turn on the lights. I thought this was my bed."

I heard him laugh. "It's fine! Night, Key!" 

"Night, Onew~" 

I soon heard him sleeping again as I stared into the dark. 

It's my first day of school tomorrow... I hope that everything'll go well. 

I pulled the covers on and closed my eyes. 

 

-----------------

I hope you guys like it so far! If you've been subbed to one of my other oneshots, then you should know that my oneshots are multiple chapters. x3 and that I take FOREVER to update, ahah. Hopefully not this time. xP