Chapter 6

Hide or Madness

It's been-- 3 years. 3 years since I discontinued this. But now, I'm back to finish this once and for all.
Terribly sorry for those who waited forever for this to be continues.
Now, enjoy~!


New day kicks in, but Shinwoo wasn't ready.

As he bid a goodbye to Chansik, he walks to school with such unease feeling. About the murder that happen to one of his colleague.... Why such thing happens? And why it has to be same grade and same school as him?

He remembered yesterday night, that his mom called him with shaky voices; he knows that his parents were extremely worried about that case, and they didn't want Shinwoo to be next.

No, he also didn't want to.

''I'll be okay mom, I'm promise" that's the only thing Shinwoo could said to her mother-- at least, to calmed his parents down. He actually felt so anxious and worried about himself, but can he called himself a man if he keep worried like this?

No.

'This is going to be a rough day' Shinwoo thoughts as he walks his path to the school. He tries his best not to overthink that stuff, but it's just... Too hard for him. Especially about what the old man says to him.

As he arrives to the school area, Sunwoo and Sandeul greets him. It seems that both of them wait for him in front of the gate.

"Yo, Shinwoo!" Sunwoo exclaims with a bright smile "Yo, what's with that ugly swollen face? It's like the teacher have ed you up in the , man."

"Yeah, you doesn't seem to be this beaten up before" Sandeul adds to it "What's wrong?"

"Nothing" Shinwoo says with a little smile.

Sunwoo pats his shoulder

"Was it about that murder thing-y?" Sunwoo says "Man, don't really think about it! Okay the victim might be in the same grade as us and same school but that doesn't mean it'll affect us"

"Sunwoo!" Sandeul exclaims with a loud voice "You idiot er-- Shinwoo might not as strong as you are"

"That's why I'm here"

Shinwoo just listens to their conversation. The three of them walk to their respective classes.

 

"Jung Jinyoung?"

"Sick."

The teacher nods. As what Shinwoo know by yesterday, Jinyoung was sick. The weird thing is that, Jinyoung didn't allow his friends (Him, Sandeul and Sunwoo) to visit him at his home. Strange.

'Maybe he didn't want to make us worries so much'

Shinwoo listens to the teacher and write down all the notes, trying his best not to fail at this subject (at least, by his standard, since he has some difficulty in understanding this particular lesson). It was tiring for his hands, as his teacher was so quick at talking and she didn't bother to skip some things in her explanation.

'What a teacher' he thinks.

After some time passes, Shinwoo looks at Sunwoo. Sunwoo is not sleeping, but he plays with his phone and writing some things.

'He... might be listening to the teacher'.

Shinwoo looks at Jinyoung's seat. It's empty; Somehow, he miss him.

'I might bring him some food after class' Shinwoo thoughts as he listens to the teacher again.

 

When the lunch break arrives, Shinwoo gathers with Sunwoo and Sandeul in an abandoned area in their school; It was supposed to be the room for marching band club, but since the marching band club was disbanded about 3 years ago, this room wasn't used anymore.

"Why the club was disbanded?" Shinwoo asks

''Lack of members, I suppose" Sunwoo answers while eating his hotdog "The minimal members for marching band club was 20 and they only managed to get about 11 for some years. So, yeah."

"I see..."

The three of them eating their lunch silently as finally Sandeul brings the topic.

"I got information about the murder case"

Shinwoo and Sunwoo looks at Sandeul, surprises.

"You were asked by the police?"

"Nope" Sandeul shook his head "But I heard from one of my club members that was being asked."

"Okay...." Shinwoo replies ".... What about it?"

"You know that cute girl, Jang Yoona?"

"Oh I know that girl!" Sunwoo says with slight of anger in his tone "Jang Yoona, from class 1-5. She was hella cute but she's also a top-tier . I remembered that few days back, she poured some orange juice on a senior's head, right?"

"Wait," Shinwoo stops Sunwoo "a senior?"

"Yep, the cheers' club leader, 2nd year Kang Sora" Sunwoo replies with a nods "She was tyring to stop Jang Yoona from being rude to a first-year girl, but then Yoona just kept being the and poured the juice."

"Jesus that's awful"

"I know, right?" Sandeul agree "Kang Sora-ssi was one of the prettiest and kindest girl in our school, and she just disrespect her like that? What a dangerous girl?"

Sunwoo disagrees.

"No, more like-- what a stupid girl."

Shinwoo tries to process all those information that he get now. And yeah-- he needs more information.

"Is there anything else?"

"Whoa, now you're interested in this murder?" Sunwoo looks at Shinwoo in disbelief

"Just curious."

"You're totally the worse one when it comes to lying, Shinwoo" Sandeul says with a laugh "Okay, the victim was Jang Yoona, class 1-5. As to what I heard from the police statement, the head was missing and the left arm was found 200m from the body"

"The TV news said it already"

"But, there's more." Sandeul states again "Few hours before Jang Yoona was murdered, she was missing. She was supposed to be in some restaurant for her gang's meetup-- it was around 8PM. The gang waited for her until 9.30PM , but she never showed up. They tried to called her apartment's neighbour, but the neighbour said that she already left her apartment by 5.44PM. They called her cellphone and texted her, but no replies. They tried to call her parents, her cousins, her other friends-- but no results. Finally they asked the police for a search by 10.20PM, thus the police helped them to search Jang Yoora. They searched her everywhere and everywhere-- and they received a call that Jang Yoora was last seen in the park. The police finally searched around the park, and heard one of the visitors' scream as she find Jang Yoora's body behind the toilet building."

Shinwoo falls silent. Jesus christ.

"How was the body condition?"

"Freakin' horrible, man." Sandeul replies again "Just as what the media says. Her bag was thrown in the trashcan, and one thing that was strange was-- that, in fact, when the police searched around her apartment, her phone was there."

"Wait, she didn't bring her phone?" Sunwoo says

Sandeul nods "It appears to be"

Like a detective in those TV series, Shinwoo tries to deduce the possibilities. Jang Yoora was a full-born , and she died in a gruesome way. She was missing about hours before her meeting with her friends, and there’s a gap between her time missing and the time they found her.

“Did you know when was the body found, Sandeul?”

“If I didn’t mistaken to heard the police, it’s about …. 11.10PM?” Sandeul says with uncertainty in his voices “Damn, not enough information.”

The three of them begins to think. They need to gather as much information as possible.

“Does anyone in here can do hacking?”

Sunwoo and Sandeul stares at Shinwoo.

“What?’’
“I mean—does any of us can do hacking?” Shinwoo fixes his statement “Although I know that this is illegal and we shall not do this, but we need to know.”

“Whoa whoa, Shinwoo” Sunwoo says “You want to hack the police’s database and gather as much information as possible? What will you do with those data if you got it? Don’t mention the problems you’ll get if they caught you.”

Sunwoo was right. What was he thinking? He tries to find Jang Yoora’s murderer, but he just makes himself to be in another trouble.

And honestly, he didn’t want that.

“Sorry, guys.” Shinwoo says again while looks down “I think I’m too much.”

“Hey , it’s fine buddy” Sandeul pats his shoulder “I know you’re trying to makes things right, even though you knew that Jang Yoora was a huge . None of us want this to happen for the second time, anyway.”

Sunwoo nods.

“Oh yeah, what’s wrong with Jinyoung? When I arrives at your class, he wasn’t there in his seat.”

“He was sick” Shinwoo replies to Sunwoo, avoiding eye contact “He texted me by yesterday.”

“Aw, that’s .” Sunwoo replies again while drinking his grape juice “But man, it was kinda coincidence. He was sick when the police came here and made some mess to our school. Whoa man, he misses the charade.”

“Agree with that.”

“But anyway, Shinwoo,” Sunwoo says again “Did you ask his address? I think we can pay a visit to his place so we can give some moral boost for him.”

Shinwoo shook his head.

“He said no need for that.”

Sunwoo and Sandeul looks at Shinwoo in confusion.
‘’Seriously, Jinyoung?” Sandeul says as he throws the plastic foods to the trashcan.
“I also wanted to visit him, but yeah” Shinwoo adds.

Sunwoo stands up as he sees his wristwatch.
“Let’s just pray he can join us by tomorrow.”

The three of them nods, leaving their new base to class.

 

As the class ends, the three of them goes to the nearest restaurant. It was a fast-food restaurant, and it serves many delicious yet strange foods that Shinwoo only sees in TV shows. Shinwoo has difficulty in choosing the right one, so Sandeul and Sunwoo helps him in picking.

“You never see or eat this before?”

Shinwoo nods at both of them “I am a country boy, so yeah….”

“Man, that’s cool” Sunwoo exclaims “Don’t worry, you’re in right hands. We may sounds rude and harsh, but we will never lead our friends to the wrong path.”

“That’s true” Sandeul nods as he drinks his cola “If there’s things that you didn’t know, feel free to talk to us. In exchange, tells us about country life.”

“What do you guys want to know about country life…?” Shinwoo says as he opens his burger “It’s just simple and traditional, much different from fast and advanced world in here.”

“That’s the point, Shinwoo” Sunwoo says again “Maybe it’ll lead us to have interest to visit your places later on.”

Shinwoo nods slowly. He enjoys the burger that both of them ordered for him, although he misses his cousin’s homemade rice burger.

They eat their meal while talking when suddenly the news was bringing up the case again. They shift their attention to the TV.
“Mwawn, twhe wcaswe awgwaiwn.” Sandeul says while chewing his fried chicken “Cwan twhey jwuswt stwop twalkwing abwout it?”

“Like we can even follow what did you just said, stupid” Sunwoo replies “Chew your food before talking.”

Sandeul chews his food, and then swallows it. Shinwoo looks at the TV again.

‘Does cases like this often happens in the city?’ Shinwoo thinks. He knew before, that city’s society is more individualistic than his own place (where everything is based on working together and having strong bonds with everyone), but this?

This is beyond his expectation.

“Earth calling Shinwoo!’’ Sunwoo says with a loud voice while clap his hands in front of Shinwoo’s face. Shinwoo startles, causing his burger to falls down to the plate.
‘’Man, don’t space out!” Sandeul says with a laugh “You look like an idiot when you spaces out.”

Shinwoo just smiles. “Sorry.”

“Anyway, let’s just finish eating this and head home” Sunwoo says “We still have some homework tomorrow, right?”

The three of them nods, then finish their food and head home.

 

When Shinwoo arrives at home, he finds Chansik just eating his dinner.

“You never came this late, hyung”

“Sorry, Chansik” Shinwoo says as he put his bag in his room “My friends took me to this fast-food restaurant and I just wanted to try the food.”

“Oh, was it ‘MacKen?”

“Yep.”

“It was one of the best, even though the prices was pretty cheap” Chansik says as he chews his food. Shinwoo seats in front of him, then drinking a glass of water.

“Do you have some close friends, Chansik?”

Chansik stops eating after hearing his cousin’s statement. Shinwoo looks at Chansik, confused.

“Chansik?”

“Actually, I don’t” Chansik states while looking at Shinwoo “I do have friends, but not really that close.”

“Why?”

“You know—I was , like…. I was popular among the peers, and many girls adore me. At least, from what I heard from others” Chansik says “That leads most male from my grade didn’t really like me for that, thus they prefer to stay away from me. I have 2-3 friends that still wants to talk to me, but I never feel really close to them.”

Shinwoo feels this guilty feeling to Chansik. He just want Chansik to be happy at his school, but maybe the school’s condition wasn’t that great.

Shinwoo offers himself to wash the dishes, in which Chansik nods. He cleans the table, then Chansik goes to his room because he has a test for tomorrow.

That leaves Shinwoo to clean the house.

Shinwoo cleans the house while listening to his favourite hip-hop songs. Although he was a country boy, he enjoys music since his family was really attached to music. In the future, he wanted to be a musician and produce his own songs.

Shinwoo still cleans the house whil suddenly, his phone rings. He quickly grabs the phone and answers.

 

[Shinwoo] : Annyeonghaseyo?

[Jinyoung] : Hei Shinwoo, this is Jinyoung.

[Shinwoo : Hi Jinyoung—How’s your health? Feeling better?

[Jinyoung] : Kinda. I will go back to class by tomorrow.

[Shinwoo] : That’s great to hear! Sunwoo and Sandeul really wanted to visit you today but too bad you didn’t allow us

[Jinyoung] : Sorry for that.

[Shinwoo] : It’s fine. I will bring some food with me for your recovery

[Jinyoung] : Don’t need.

[Shinwoo] : Just take it as a friendship’s gift

[Jinyoung] : …. Thanks

[Shinwoo] : Your welcome. See ya tomorrow.

 

Shinwoo nearly closes the call before Jinyoung speaks again.

 

[Jinyoung} : S-shinwoo

[Shinwoo] : Yes?

[Jinyoung] : …. Thank you for everything.

 

Jinyoung closes the call after that. It may be a simple statement, but somehow—it means a lot for Shinwoo.


The investigation of the case still happens, but we need to move on, right?

 

It was around 1-2 months after the murder of Jang Yoona. Police still can’t find the murderer, thus shutting the case down and made it as a cold-case file.

 

As the time moves by, Shinwoo began to felt this strange attachment with Jinyoung. Whenever Jinyoung felt in trouble, Shinwoo always be the first one to help him in any ways. Jinyoung also unconsciously hold Shinwoo’s hand when they’re being squished in the train when four of them take a trip to Busan , and it was a shock for Shinwoo.

“S-sorry” Jinyoung says as he wants to release the hold

“It’s.. it’s okay” Shinwoo replies.

Somehow, Shinwoo didn’t want Jinyoung to release that hold.

 

At times, Shinwoo also invited Jinyoung and his friends to his home, much to Chansik’s amusement. Chansik introduced himself to the hyungs.

“I’m Gong Chansik, but please just call me Chansik.”

“Whoa Shinwoo, he’s your younger cousin?” Sunwoo says as he examines Chansik “Man, your family was such a tall family.”

“You just state that you’re short.”

Sunwoo hited Sandeul, and then five of them hung out at Chansik’s home. They would have sleepover night together (in which they’d watch horror movies and att marshmallows like elementary kids), had a dinner together, or simply played board games. Shinwoo could feel Chansik’s happiness whenever his friends drop by , and Chansik was already felt comfortable with his hyung’s friends. It’s like those friends that Chansik couldn’t have—and Shinwoo felt so happy about it.

And at those times, Shinwoo began to feel that attachment.

Whenever Sandeul, Sunwoo and Chansik playing together, Shinwoo and Jinyoung always watching them from afar. It’s like both of them enjoy watching people around (in which Shinwoo knows it). Jinyoung will sit as close as possible to Shinwoo, and Shinwoo never complains about it.

“Hey, Shinwoo.”

“Yes?”

“I love being by your side” Jinyoung says as he lean his head on Shinwoo’s broad shoulder “I can’t really stand too long near those noisy kids. They’re just giving me severe headaches.”

“They’re not kids, Jinyoung.”

“I know I know, it’s just a statement” Jinyoung smiles as his eyes meets Shinwoo’s lazy eyes. Shinwoo was startled, and he can’t even move an inch.

Shinwoo finds a hidden meaning behind Jinyoung’s stare, but he isn’t sure what  is the meaning.
Jinyoung stands up, then offering himself to make some hot chocolate for five of them. Shinwoo, unknowingly, offers himself to grab some snacks in which Jinyoung agrees with it.

 

After Jinyoung, Sunwoo and Sandeul went home, Chansik would help Shinwoo clean the house. They made huge mess whenever those 3 came by, and it’s up to both of them to clean the house.

After cleaning the house, Chansik goes to bed because he’s simply tired. Well, playing games for 3 hours straight is definitely not good for your health.

Shinwoo turns on the TV, and then grab some Fanta and chips. He watches this thrilling TV series about a cannibal man that helps a detective to solve cases.

“Man, what a show” Shinwoo says as he finish his chips. He takes the remote and unconsciously, stops at the news channel.

“Wonder what the news ‘ll be”

Shinwoo watches the news about some tsunami tragedy and things, until finally breaking news came in and it makes him to drop the chips and calls his friends.

 

Breaking News:

A body was found in a back alley of xxx ‘s restaurant,

The student’s head was missing

The student’s arm and legs were cut off and

To be found in the restaurant’s trash can