Thoughts of Her

Thoughts of Her

 

*A/N: His late girlfriend’s name is Suyeon :)*


 

*Why can’t I stop thinking about her?* Myungsoo stared blankly into space, while looking at the vibrant fireworks from his house. Those vibrant fireworks weren’t aren’t colorful and nice to him as he kept thinking about his ex girlfriend. His current girlfriend, Eunmin, was at his house, staying over for the night for that firework show after a music program.

 

Eunmin looked at him and immediately knew what was on his mind. *Myungsoo,* she sighed mentally, *Why can’t you just forget her? It had been 4 years already.*

 

“Oppa,” she called, “Are you feeling okay? You seem to be thinking a lot, aren’t you?”

 

He shook his head and forced a smile, which looked really fake, saying, “I’m just tired, don’t worry.” She then held his hand and nodded, “Alright, if you’re tired, just go and sleep, I’m fine watching this alone. I initiated this afterall.”

 

He then kissed her head and rested his ontop of hers, and told her that he should accompany her as he didn’t want her to watch the fireworks herself. The both of them then continued to watch it, and while the fireworks went “boom” “pang” “pow”, Myungsoo couldn’t stop his mind from going to his ex girlfriend again.

 

*Flashback*

 

“Oppa,” Suyeon whispered, “I heard that there’d be a shooting star tonight. When it comes, I’m so going to make a wish.” Myungsoo looked at her beam at the last sentence and couldn’t help to find that his girlfriend was really cute.

 

I nodded, and smiled, “Yeah, same here. I’m going to make a wish too. But even if it doesn’t come, there’s one really bright star beside me right now whom I find the most beautiful.”

 

She giggled softly and punched my arm while saying, “Yah! Stop being so cheesy. You know I don’t like these kind of words right?” I laughed, while nodding and argued, “But I like saying it and you can’t stop me from doing so!”

 

At that very moment, the shooting star, which appeared only once in every thousand years, appeared before them and Suyeon immediately sat up, wishing for something while closing her eyes. Myungsoo looked at her and softened. *I would like to wish for her to be with me forever.*

 

On the other hand, Suyeon also wished for the same thing as well, *I want to be with Myungsoo forever and ever.*

 

*Flashback end*

 

*Wishes are all fake,* Myungsoo thought grimly in his head. Actually, everything came crashing down on Myungsoo 4 years ago, and exactly 2 months after the shooting star came. His girlfriend passed away due to an illness and it happened right before his eyes and himself.

 

*What if,* He asked loudly in his mind, *I didn’t let you sleep that time, will you not pass away?*

 

*Flashback start*

 

Suyeon lied on the bed, feeling extremely weak as ever. She couldn’t do anything much to ease the pain. The pain that she was feeling was excruciating. Her lungs got seriously infected, because of some factors, and it placed herself in danger as her lungs were really weak ever since birth. When she realized it, the virus had already spread throughout her entire body.

 

Myungsoo, on the other hand, was at the ward door. As usual, he was convincing himself that he should face everything optimistically and he shouldn’t think in a negative manner. *She wouldn’t leave me just like that,* He told himself, *I’ve made that wish and that wish will come through. Don’t worry, Myungsoo.*

 

He took in a deep breath and then breathed out again, to make him relax a little.

 

It was a bad hit to him initially when he got to know his girl’s condition. His girl never planned to tell him and even broke up with him because she didn’t want to be the burden of his life. She knew that he would hurt a lot but she was as hurt as well. She didn’t want to tell him that she was going to leave him soon and she couldn’t bear to break the news to him.

 

Moreover, Myungsoo was in college, and college was an important part of his life. She didn’t want to pull him down with her.

 

However, things didn’t really go the way that Suyeon wanted. One of his good friends caught her in the hospital with a very pale look and he then informed Myungsoo. Myungsoo then went to the hospital to check and that was when he realized that his girlfriend’s condition was gravely serious.

 

He opened the ward door and forced a cheery smile, “Suyeon-ah. I bought this for you. It’s scorched rice. I’ve cooled it down, so that it wouldn’t hurt your lungs. The doctor asked you to eat something light. So I think this would be the best for you.”

 

“Wow,” She beamed, “Thank you oppa, you’re the best.”

 

When she beamed, Myungsoo felt this pang in his heart. He knew that she was actually feeling very sick inwardly but she couldn’t bear to tell him about the pain that she was experiencing. Myungsoo knew everything.

 

Suyeon had her own reasons for doing so as well. The doctor merely told her exactly 2 weeks ago that she had maximally a month to live on and she decided on her own that she should live life to the fullest and the happiest.

 

After finishing her rice, Suyeon felt extremely sleepy for some reason and said, “Oppa, I’m feeling tired. I want to rest for a while.” He then helped her lie down on the bed very carefully and caressed her warm cheeks, saying, “Okay, I’ll go and get some magazines for you to read when I’m not around. Okay?”

 

She nodded weakly and smiled, “Okay oppa. Thank you so much.”

 

When Myungsoo left the room, Suyeon started to have this urge of crying. Before she even knew it, she started to feel tears roll down her cheeks as her eyes started to close without her knowing. She said, before she completely shut her eyes, “I’m sorry, o-oppa.”

 

Myungsoo, who bought the magazines from the convenience store just right downstairs, came up and realized that the doctors were rushing to Suyeon’s room. When he reached Suyeon’s room, they were actually doing a lot of things to her. His eyes widened at the scene and ran in, shouting, “What is wrong with Suyeon?”

 

Worry and fear dominated his mind as the nurses pushed him outside while apologizing that he had to go out because they had to check on her condition. His body was becoming stiff as he sat outside while waiting for the doctor. Tears were flowing and he was totally unconscious about it.

 

“S-suyeon-ah,” he said while tearing badly, “D-don’t let a-anything happen to you.”

 

After half an hour, the doctor came out of Suyeon’s room while a sullen expression. At that very moment, Myungsoo knew what was wrong and immediately ran inside the ward to see a lifeless body who was lying on the bed.

 

The owner of the body, was his beloved girlfriend of 2 years. He knelt down beside the bed, and started to cry out loudly. He didn’t bother about anything else.

 

Suyeon and him met in college and realized that they had a lot in common.

 

The both of them grew up in orphanages,

 

The both of them liked eating Kimchi stew,

 

The both of them liked playing the guitar and,

 

The both of them liked photography.

 

He couldn’t believe that the person that he loved the most just left him in that short span of 5 minutes. Before that, she was still alive and kicking. After that, she was lifeless and she was gone. She disappeared completely from his life.

 

“S-sir,” The doctor went in and pulled him out, while the nurses attended to her lifeless body.

 

After that, the doctors asked him to come again the next day for her body and asked him to go back, to calm down.

 

He exited the hospital then after and realized that it was raining outside. He didn't bother about the heavy downpour and just went out of the hospital. He strolled slowly on the road. Tears flowed out of his eyes uncontrollably and his heart was hurting so much.

 

Passer-bys kept on looking at him but his thoughts bothered him too much to bother about those passer bys.

 

At that moment, a pretty looking girl, who was holding an umbrella then saw him. From far, she could feel that he was very solemn about something. She inched closer to him and introduced herself, "Hi, my name is Eunmin. Do you need to share our umbrella? You'd get sick."

 

"Sick," Myungsoo laughed in a pathetic tone, "How I wished there wasn't such thing and she wouldn't have had left me alone in this cold world."

 

She looked at the guy before him and immediately knew that he was very broken at that very point of time. "Hey look," she said softly, "I don't know who left you but I believe that she wouldn't want you to do this to yourself."

 

He looked at the girl and realized that she was looking at him with a worried expression, *Why would this girl bother about me? A mere stranger that she met in this heavy downpour. Why would she even bother to talk to me unlike the other passerbys?*

 

 

*Flashback end*

 

 

That was exactly how he met Eunmin.

 

When he finished thinking about the past, the fireworks had also already ended. The both of them then washed up and swiftly got to bed. Myungsoo looked at Eunmin, who was hugging him tightly, and couldn't help but sigh. Eunmin, who hadn't really went into her dreamland yet, opened her eyes and looked at Myungsoo, with the same worried expression 4 years ago.

 

"Are you thinking of her again," she asked curiously. Eunmin knew that he, up till now, couldn't forget his ex girlfriend completely. She was upset but she didn't want to bother much.

 

"No," he smiled while pulling her in, hugging her tighter, "Good night, Eunmin."

 

When Eunmin was asleep, Myungsoo lightly pulled away and went to his study room. He switched his computer on and looked at all the photos he took with her. The last photo that the both of them took together had the caption, 'Forever remembering the times with Yeonnie <3'

 

Four years had passed, since that fateful day, but he just couldn't get her off his mind completely.

 

When he tried to, he'd always start to think about the times that the both of them had together and it was pricking his heart badly.

 

Back to his bedroom, Eunmin woked up after another hour and realized that Myungsoo wasn't in his room. She walked to his study room and realized that he was actually looking at his photos again. She then gave him a backhug and said gently, "Oppa, stop thinking about her, okay? If you think more, you would hurt more. I don't want you to get hurt."

 

He turned around, looking a little pissed, "Can you stop telling me to stop thinking about her? Do you think I haven't tried to get her off completely out of my mind? I tried and it hurts more when I tried to forget her. It's been four years and these four years I have tried very very hard to forget her."

 

"Oppa," she said, a little shocked by his tone. He never talked to her like that before. She continued, "These four years that I've been with you, didn't we also have good memories that we both shared? Why can't you think that way? Moreover, we can wish before we sleep every single day that we would be together."

 

"Wishes," he scoffed, "They're all freaking fake. I've made one with Suyeon but she died exactly 2 months later. What are wishes for? They're for people who likes imagining things because wishes will not happen forever."

 

Eunmin sighed and stood up from her position, "O-oppa, I shall let you calm down first. When you think that you've calmed down, then I'll come back to you okay? I don't want you to hurt so much by raising this topic."

 

She then took her bag from his room and walked out of his house, feeling extremely upset. She walked on the empty but safe road. Her heart was hurting in pain. It was as if that she took needles and poked her own heart. Tears were rolling down her cheeks because of that excruciating pain.

 

"W-what," Myungsoo sat down and he ruffled his hair, "What have I done, Suyeon? I've chased the girl away. What would you expect me to do, Suyeon? I'm so lost."

 

After a few seconds, he stood up and ran out of the house to find you. He shouted, "Yah! Eunmin-ah!" He ran down the road that she walked earlier and finally found her after running for a minute. He ran as quick as he could and grabbed Eunmin's hand.

 

"Sorry," He apologized. He looked at Eunmin's face and realized it was stained with tears. Her eyes also became puffy because of crying. He wiped her tears away from her face and hugged her tightly, "I'm so sorry, Eunmin. I've never thought for you. I'm so selfish. I promise you I won't think of her anymore. I'm sorry, Eunmin. Please give me another chance."

 

"O-oppa," her voice shaked as she called Myungsoo, while pulling away.

 

Myungsoo looked at her and said in a convincing tone, "I won't let you go from now. I've learnt my lesson and I'll never let you go again."

 

"O-oppa," she called again, "Thank you."

 

He shook his head and pulled her in for a tight hug, "There's no need to thank me, Eunmin. Because I know you're the one whom I want to spend my life from now with, and Suyeon would be really happy if I did so as well. And I promise I won't hurt you anymore."

 

She nodded, and cried happily. The two of them known each other for 4 years and were together for 2 years already. Two years. Eunmin was actually hurting from everything but she decided to let everything go as she knew she didn't understand Myungsoo's pain. She liked Myungsoo for close to four years already but she never did mind about Myungsoo's thoughts about his ex girlfriend.

 

Now that Myungsoo had thought it through, she was really elated and she couldn't place all that happiness in words.