Pinky Promise Me.

피터팬 (Peter Pan)

I glanced at the clock hanging on the wall with a sigh. There were still three hours until the work day was over. Though lately work hadn't seemed as terrible as the first week or two (mostly thanks to Kyungsoo), for some reason today seemed to drag by unbearably slow. In all honesty I felt like faking sick just so I could go home. I was in another one of those moods. Taking a deep, cleansing breath, I squared my shoulders and with a determined nod I started to work on today's task. Which was of course writing more status reports for Ms. Queen- Shim. God I really hate that woman. Speaking of her, after only three weeks since Kyungsoo's employment, she moved him up in the corporate ladder. Instead of helping me with my status reports and keeping me from going slowly insane, he was now co-managing the department. I personally believe it's because she adores him. Though I must admit I feel a small sense of adoration toward him too. But then again, so does every other female in my department.

 

For the next three hours I continued to sneak glances at the agonizing movements of the clock's hands. With about ten minutes left of my time in this hell-hole until tomorrow, I sensed a presence in my rather small cubicle. 

"Ahem..." A timid throat clear that was neither rude nor assertive. 

I looked up toward the source of the sound and saw Kyungsoo standing there with a sheepish smile pasted on his lips. 

"Yes?" I stopped typing and gave him my full attention. 

"Um... I don't really know how to tell you this..." He started and looked uncomfortably at his black dress shoes. 

"Oh God..." I groaned and pinched my nose. I was already getting fired and I hadn't even been with the company very long. I felt like crying, but of course I couldn't do that. "I'll have my stuff out by tomorrow afternoon," 

My last statement, Kyungsoo's eyes widened to an impossibly large size. It looked like they were going to pop out of his head at any second. 

"What? No! You're not getting fired," Kyungsoo shook his head profusely and put his hands out in front of himself. 

I blinked a few times both relieved and somewhat annoyed. "I'm not?" 

Kyungsoo shook his head once more. "No you're not." 

"Then what did you need to tell me?" I crossed my arms over my chest and arched an eyebrow. 

"I just needed to tell you that Ms. Shim would like you to complete these before you go." He looked apologetic as he leaned down and picked up a hefty stack of papers, placing them on my already full desk. 

"You've got to be kidding me," I stared at the new work load in disbelief. "In all honesty, getting fired would've been much better." 

"Sorry," He said with a slight chuckle. 

"It's not your fault, so don't apologize for it." I picked up the top paper and skimmed it, mentally cursing my luck. I just wanted to go home, but as always I got more than I bargained for. 

"Still, I wish I didn't have to be the bearer of bad news all the time," He frowned. "I would much rather be giving good news to people. But unfortunately that's a job reserved for the wicked of the west." 

I laughed at his nickname for Ms. Shim. I had to admit, it was pretty darn clever. 

"Besides that, I hate working with her all the time. I would much rather be helping you finish your status reports. It was a lot less stressful and you don't come onto me like she does." A small shudder wracked Kyungsoo's body at the thought of Ms. Shim's flirting style. 

I couldn't help, but take a little friendly joy in his pain. 

"If you really like helping me more, then you could always help me with this paperwork," I smiled and held a pen out to him. 

He hesitated for a moment before taking the pen from my hand and grabbing a spare chair to sit next to me. 

"Okay, but if I get fired for this... I'm blaming you," Kyungsoo chuckled before giving me a playful wink.

I only shook my head in response with a small smile dancing on my lips as I began to start filling out the blank sheets of paper with various numbers and words that even I didn't understand.

Kyungsoo and I worked in comfortable silence for a while until I heard strange noises that seemed to be coming from none other than him. I furrowed my eyebrows before turning my swivel chair toward him.

"Uh, Kyungsoo? Are you alright?" I put a hand on his shoulder gently.

"No, I'm not okay." He groaned before resting his elbows on his knees and his face in his hands. "I just made a mistake and I can't erase it because I use a god damn pen. Why can't we be in kindergarten? Then we wouldn't have to do all of this crap." 

"Because we're adults?" I answered his question even though it seemed to be a rhetorical one. 

"I know that, Subin. I guess I just meant that I wish we didn't have to grow up. You know?" Kyungsoo lifted his face from his palms before looking at me with his unusually large eyes. 

"I get what you mean completely." I sighed wistfully. "I always wanted to grow up when I was a kid and here I am now wishing I hadn't grown up." 

"Funny how life works, huh?" He chuckled dryly. "It's like some sick type of reverse psycology. I can't say that I'm a fan." 

"You're completely right." I nodded absentmindedly in agreement. 

A small silence accompanied by collective sighs passed between the two of us. I looked back to my desk top and saw many pages of still uncompleted paperwork strewn across it haphazardly. 

"We still have so much paperwork." I whined and pressed my palms to my eyelids. "Can't we just leave it and come in early tomorrow?" 

"You know... That's not actually a bad idea. Maybe we could just skip the rest of it completely." Kyungsoo already seemed to be plotting.

"Oh my God. You're kidding right? We can't just flake on this! It's a huge sales deal for our department." I reasoned.

"Do I look like I'm kidding?" He put on his best serious face. Even if it didn't scream 'I mean business' it was still pretty convincing. 

"I guess not... But we'll... No I'll get fired if we don't get these done tonight." I turned back to my desk and picked up my pen once mo.

"No, Subin. No more working for tonight. You look tired. Let's go out and do something, I'll cover for you tomorrow. I promise." Kyungsoo took the pen from my hand and out it back in the desk.

"You promise? And no coming in early, right?" I could sense myself giving in and he could too. 

"I promise. No coming in early tomorrow." He nodded slowly. 

"Pinky promise?" I held my pinky up to him.

"What are we? Third graders?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Oh just do it, Kyungsoo." I said.

"Fine. Pinky promise." Kyungsoo linked his pinky through mine and shook it. 

"Good." I smiled in satisfaction before unblinking out fingers. 

"Now, meet me in the lobby by the front doors in ten minutes?" He stood up and looked at me. 

"Sure," I nodded.

"Great, see you in ten."