The World as an Adult.

피터팬 (Peter Pan)

The harsh, incessant, and loud beeping of my alarm clock rudely pulled me out of my blissful state of slumber.  A groan bubbled in my throat before it spilled past my sleepy lips. Maybe this goes without saying, but I absolutely hate mornings. Mornings are perhaps the worst thing on this planet to exist. To put it nicely, they're a total pain in the . On any other morning I would've dragged myself out of bed and at least made the attempt to act like a human being. But today was completely different. Today was my first day at my new job, I just couldn't wait to start entering information into a computer like a trained monkey. Oh the wonderful world of being a 20 year old who needs to pay her rent. Finally coming to my (rather dull) senses, I managed to glance at the clock with hald-lidded eyes.  In bright, unforgiving red letters it read 9:45am.  It took me a moment to actually figure out what exactly was wrong with the time clearly displayed on the tiny device. I sat up slowly and yawned, stretching my arms. That's when it hit me. My first day at the new job and I'm going to be late. There was no way that something like this was going to go over well with my new boss. I knew that Mr. Choi, the company owner was a strict old man. I threw the covers off of my body and onto the floor, I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom to wash. There was quite literally no time to waste. I had exactly 15 minutes to make it to work and it takes 20. Today would be quite interesting, at least I could be sure of that. 

 

After throwing on whatever was on the floor and didn't smell like week old dirty laundry, running my fingers through my hair, and successfully burning a piece of toast, I ran to work as fast as I could. When I arrived in front of the tall, intimidating, coorperate office I spotted my relflection in the crystal like glass windows. To put it in the nicest way I possibly can, I looked like hell dressed in a four year old's clothing. Hitting myself lightly on the forehead, I shook my head and prepared myself for what I was about to face once I actually talked to my boss. Though I really didn't have much time to prepare myself. 

"Ms. Kwon, you're late and on your first day might I add." I heard the curt and annoyance tinged voice of my boss, Mr. Choi to my right. I turned to face him, guilt written all over my face. 

"I'm sorry, I overslept." I apologized somewhat sincerely and mumbled the second part. 

"That's not an excuse." He replied sternly after scrutinizing you. "It's also not an excuse for your lack of professionalism. We are a coorperate office not an elementary school. We expect our employees to dress with dignity." 

I frowned at his last statement. I didn't think I looked that bad, I felt like a little girl who'd gotten her hand slapped by her parents for stealing a cookie. 

"I'm sorry, Mr. Choi. It won't happen again." I stated solemnly as I kept my eyes glued to the ground. I didn't dare look up to meet his angry glare. 

"See to that, Ms. Kwon. We have no room here for one who isn't willing to do their job correctly." And with that, he stalked off. 

I sighed and watched his retreating form. I couldn't believe that on the first day I had already gotten the boss angry with me. Although, I would be lying if I said that I wouldn't be angry with myself either. I just hope I wouldn't botch anything else today. After having enough self pity, I trudged toward the elevator and waited for it to arrive. I tapped the toe of my shoe on the linoleum tiles and crossed my arms tiredly. I watched as the numbers on the tiny moniter counted down until it reached the number one. As the doors slid open smoothly, I stepped in only to be greeted with silence and solitude. I pushed the button for floor number 15, I would have to deal with my floor supervisor next. 

A noticeable grimmace was etched into my feautures as the elevator dinged mockingly, marking the stop on my floor. I stepped out of the small box hoping not to be noticed, but as luck would have it my supervisor happened to be walking past at that very moment. 

"Subin." She snapped, turning her head toward me in a menacing manner. I had no idea she was such a .

I noticeably blanched and looked at her, giving a small bow. "Yes, Supervisor Shim?" 

"You're late." She stated the obvious and crossed her arms across her chest. 

"I know, I'm sorry. I overslept." I gave her the same overused truth that I had presented Mr. Choi with earlier. 

Supervisor Shim seemed to have the same judgemental gaze. 

"Just make sure it doesn't happen again. I'm docking your pay for the time you lost." She stated before leaving me by the elevator. 

There was that feeling again, feeling like a child who'd had her hand slapped for an honest mistake. Oh, I was going to love working here just as much as I loved being an adult. 

Maybe tomorrow can be better.

 


Short first chapter, but it's just supposed to be a little background before we really get into the story. Sorry if it's boring and a little scatterbrained, but I hope you enjoyed it anyway. 

Thank you for reading, subscribing, and commenting!

It really means the world to me. <3

-Yeona