Chapter 1: Le Introduction

maLAYsian('S) GIRL

I woke up and pulled myself into an upright position. My pillows and soft toys were strewn all over the bedroom floor. Yes, I am an aggressive sleeper. I looked up and the clock shows 11 am. Thank god, it was a Saturday. I burned the midnight oil, trying to finish my group project. Well, it’s not a group work if I’m the only person doing it.

“I’m hungry. I wonder what Chef Aznil cooked for me.” I asked myself. I went downstairs and immediately made my way to the kitchen. As usual, scramble eggs and chicken sausages with a cup of hot cocoa. No one was there.

“Eh? Where is everyone? That’s weird”. Usually, aunt Mathilda and the family butler, Mr Wong would be there. I guessed aunt went for work early and Mr Wong went to run some errands. Even though I have aunt Mathilda, she’s never home. She would leave home as early as 6 am and come back home as late as 1 in the morning. She’s a famous fashion designer, so she’s busy designing and collaborating with other designer. She once works with Jimmy Choo and Donna Karen but that was the past.

I ate my breakfast and went up to get ready for my outing with my best friend, Malia. Malia has been my companion since my childhood days. We have been through thick and thin together. I couldn’t contain my excitement. I haven’t seen her for months. After graduation, we went our separate ways. I went to start my college and Malia just started her internship at her dad’s hospital.

I came out from the shower and saw my phone blinking, indicating a notification.

*New Message*

It was from my best friend.

*Hey, Kat. I can’t make it. One of my patients is having breathing difficult. She needs immediate surgery. I’m sorry. Maybe next time. Pinky Promise! Thanks! :D*

“What?! You gotta to be kidding me? We have been planning this for weeks!” I yelled inside my mind. Why can’t Malia let the others handle it for her? I guess her dad forced her. What a strict dad she has.

“That means, I’m all by myself”. I sighed to myself. Then, someone knocked my mahogany bedroom door.

 

“Come in!” I yelled so whoever on the others side of the door could hear me.  The house maid came in

“Oh, miss Balqis. I thought you were aunt Mathilda. By the way, where is aunt?” I asked in one breath.

“Calm down, Kat…. Aunt? She was called for an emergency meeting at her office. She’ll be back as soon as possible” said the maid.

“Oh, okay…..” I sounded disappointed because aunt Mathilda left without informing me. Somehow, I felt uneasy as though something bad is going to happen. I ignored my instinct and carried on.

“Why the long face, child? Is something bothering you? Miss Balqis asked me with her soft and graceful voice. Miss Balqis has been the maid since I was a teenager. She’s a few older than me. That’s why we get along quite well.

“Nothing.  Malia cancelled our outing. She’s busy with stuff” I didn’t want to explain the whole situation-Afraid that Balqis will bombard me with questions.

“If you’re free and bored, why don’t you help me bake a chocolate? ….. How about a Nutella cake?” anticipating my answer. “NUTELLA?!” I yelled.

“Why didn’t you ask me earlier? My body is 24/7 ready for Nutella cake!” I jumped like a 5 year old on my bed. My pillows ended up on the bedroom floor again.

“Haiyoo, look at what you have done. Calm down. Let’s go!” Balqis said with her loud voice.

“Leggo!” I wanted to surprise Aunt Mathilda. She loves surprises just like me

After 3 hours of countless baking blunders, the cake was hot fresh from the oven. Moments later, Aunt Mathilda will return home. I could smell the Nutella all the way from the front door as I wait for her.

Half an hour later, her limo was seen at the house garage. She entered the house with a gloomy face. I was confused. Why would she be sad?

“Hello aunt! How’s work? Great? You must be tired! That’s why I baked a cake for you. Let’s enjoy tea time with me, aunt? I asked with excitement. No answers. She stood there as if she was possessed by an evil spirit.

“Aunt?” I waved my hands frantically in front of her face, hoping she wakes up from the trance. She looked at me and took my hand. Panicked grabbed me.

“What’s wrong? Why didn’t you reply me? Aunt, you’re scaring me.” I asked slowly so she could understand me.

“Kat, you must leave this country. You’re leaving to Seoul tomorrow morning”, Aunt said with her expressionless face.

“Why?! What’s the problem?!” I was desperate in need of answers. “Someone is after me. You must leave before they get to you too”, she explained.  My mouth suddenly felt dry and I couldn’t comprehend the situation anymore.

Everything was happening too fast. It didn’t make any sense. What’s really going on? Who is after aunt Mathilda? What do they want from us? Did we do something wrong? A million of questions ran through my mind.  Too shocked, I ran to my room and didn’t look back. I could feel my tears rolling down my cheeks

“Miss Balqis, please assist my niece for her departure”, aunt Mathilda ordered her. “I’m sorry for what’s happening. This wasn’t supposed to happen. Please forgive me, my lovely Kat”, whispered Aunt Mathilda to herself.