Service with a smile

Service with a smile

~ Service with a smile ~

Ji-eun was practically pushed into the café. She grudgingly admitted it was a cosy little place, white furnished with an au naturale air from the wooden shelves to the wisteria curled over the entrance. In fact it was almost entrancing, the honeysuckle scent in the air making her stop and take a second sniff.

“Approve?” Suzy , seeing her eyes change from cold irriatance to a softer shade. “Then wait till you see the service.”

That should have been Ji-eun’s second warning of danger. But at that moment, the charming name of the cafe “Down the Rabbit hole” made her smile. All alice-in-wonderland white. How sweet.

   _-~
c|_|

 

“Look at him!” Suzy cooed, her eyes lighting up as she followed one man’s progress around the café. Ji-eun let out a deep sigh. She should have known it was about a boy. This ‘boy’ happened to be one of the finer species out of Suzy's spotting record. Raven dark hair, skin as white as snow and a finely toned body. Indeed he was good-looking, that Ji-eun could not deny. But there was something about him she just couldn’t come to like.

“One cappuccino and one green tea, correct?” came a bored voice accompanied by the slamming of two cups on the table. They hit it with such force the tea nearly spilt out and over Ji-eun’s soft white blouse.

“Hey!” she yelled indignantly. “What was that for?”

It was the ‘boy’, serving them their drinks.

He looked at Ji-eun and the corner of his mouth curved. “Is something wrong ma’am?” he asked mockingly.

Ji-eun’s face flushed. “Yes!” she snapped. “What do you think you’re doing, such horrible service!”

Suzy gasped, her hands flying up to cover .

But the server merely raised an eyebrow. “Is something the matter with my service? If so, maybe you’d like to fill out one of these surveys cafes these days love so much.”

“Don’t be silly,” Ji-eun chided. “There’s nothing wrong with the café. Just with you.”

Ji-eun glanced at his name badge. Sanghyun, it read in gold embossed letters, as arrogantly printed as his nature was.

“Sanghyun-sii, I believe you need to dust up your attitude.”

Suzy squeaked with further shock. Sanghyun’s eyes simply widened with further amusement.

“Is that so?” he tilted his head, soft feathers of black hair falling to one side. One hand still held the waiters’ tray, the other was propped against his hip where a baristas’ apron was wrapped. “Then how about you show me?” he teased, eyes glinting challengingly.

“Very well,” Ji-eun stood up. She was never one to back away from a challenge. Especially not from arrogant little brats. She stood up, unheeding of Suzy’s pleading eyes, and leaned over to grab the string of his apron. With one swift tug, she pulled it loose and proceeded to tie it around her waist.

“Please sit down then, valued customer,” she smiled brightly but her eyes said a different story. "My name is Lee Ji-eun and I will be serving you today." Then she pushed Sanghyun down onto the seat she had been sitting at just seconds ago, snatched his tray and sauntered off to the kitchen.

Sanghyun was left with his mouth half-open in the company of Suzy, whose mouth was even wider than his.

   _-~
c|_|

 

“One cappuccino,” Ji-eun announced her arrival, lowering the drink in its white ceramic cup onto the table daintily. She took a step back, gave a soft bow and then smiled. “Please enjoy.”

Sanghyun found himself unable to breath. How could she, with a smile that brilliant, that stunning affect him so much? So many girls had fawned over him that he had forgotten what it was like to get a genuine smile. He hadn’t realized that his smile had slowly grown to mimic those half-hearted curls of the mouth, those cold meaningless frames of teeth and lips that were posed in order to get discounts or a flirting response. 

“Hurry,” Ji-eun urged, unaware of all these emotions that had just passed through the man known as Park Sanghyun. “Before the coffee gets cold.”

Sanghyun nodded without realizing it, he was still a little stunned. But then his hand was moving to curl around the handle and the coffee was at his lips. And the taste… what was it about it?! It couldn’t be the ingredients – that had to be the same as what he used. It couldn’t be the temperature, the amount of milk, the skill with which he poured the liquids into the cup. No…what was it?

“How was my service sir?” Ji-eun smiled coyly, knowing she had won this battle.

That was it. The service. The delivery of that brilliant warmth. The service that somehow had changed the taste of the coffee so drastically. Sanghyun put down the cup, his face softening and freezing in this new sensation of revelation. Service, huh?

Ji-eun chuckled. Sanghyun shook his head and looked at her. “What’s wrong?” he asked, eyes creasing.

Ji-eun leaned forwards. Her free hand came up to cup his cheek. Sanghyun froze, his breath half-exhaled. Her skin was like satin, the thumb slowly drawing forwards, closer and closer to his lips. Sanghyun didn’t dare breath. Didn’t dare move.

“You have a milk moustache,” Ji-eun smiled as her thumb moved over to wipe away the froth. Job done, she leaned backwards. Neither seemed to notice Suzy changing five shades of red.

Sanghyun choked. At first it was a sharp sound, like something had lodged firmly in his throat. Then it because a full blown laugh. Ji-eun was surprised by how warm his laugh was in contrast to his service. It was a beautiful, almost heart-rendering and it felt like a warm fire hearth and a purring cat all at once.

“Right then miss,” Sanghyun stood up. He leaned over and swiftly untied the apron from around Ji-eun. Ji-eun let out a small gasp as he did so, the close proximity making her realize that he too was a man and not just her spurt-of-the-moment rival. Sanghyun smiled, a small devil’s glint in those black eyes.

“Sit down,” he gestured to the open seat as he took back the tray. “Looks like I have to prove to you that I can offer good service…with a smile,” he winked and walked back to the kitchen.

In the corner, Suzy squealed.

   _-~
c|_|

 

“Sorry for the wait ma’am,” Sanghyun gave a gentle bow. Ji-eun was almost floored with the sudden 180 degree change the waiter had taken. Gone was the flat look in his eyes and the rude manners. Here was a man with warmth in his eyes and gentleness in his every move.

Sanghyun lowered the new cup of cappuccino to the table, took a step backwards and bowed. “Please enjoy miss,” he looked up at her and smiled a dazzling, brilliant smile. Ji-eun felt the air escape her lungs, as if she had been punched by a professional boxer. Why, oh why did he not smile more often?!

If Sanghyun’s good looks had been flawless already, his smile made him a devastating lady killer. There was a boyish hint to the curves, a dimple here and a glint under the light there. He was no longer the cold prince his exterior had previously suggested. No. Here was a warm human being.

“Hurry,” Sanghyun urged, grinning a little as he mimicked Ji-eun’s previous words and revelled in the knowledge that she was surprised he remembered. “Before the coffee gets cold.”

Ji-eun pursed her lips. She didn’t want Sanghyun to know of that warm thrumming in her chest. She was not happy! The challenge was still on. Instead, she lifted the small ceramic cup, her eyes skimming the coffee and her heart skipping a beat when she realized there was a small rabbit pattern etched in the coffee froth.

“Our speciality,” Sanghyun winked when she looked up at him. "Down the rabbit hole you go, and welcome to Wonderland."

Ji-eun hid her blush by taking a sip.

She hadn’t been expecting much. After all, coffee wasn’t her forte. And so she was pleasantly surprised by the flavourful aroma, the sweet taste, the frothiness of the milk. 

She lowered her coffee, thoroughly shocked.

“I took the liberty of adding some sugar to your coffee,” Sanghyun nodded towards the coffee. “Seeing as you ordered tea earlier, I assumed you were not a fan of coffee. But it is my job to change your mind and give you the best,” he gave her that adorable dimple smile and Ji-eun’s mouth fell open. “So, how was it?”

“Uh, uuuh!” Ji-eun floundered for words.

But suddenly Sanghyun leaned in. “W-what’s wrong?” Ji-eun stuttered, feeling her cheeks heat up as his hand drew in close and cupped her cheek. His skin was calloused – a sign of hard work – but it was still soft to touch and made her lose her breath. His thumb slowly drew forwards, closer and closert to her lips. Ji-eun didn’t dare breath. Didn’t dare move.

“You have a milk moustache,” Sanghyun said in a soft teasing tone. Oh, Ji-eun let out a small breath. He's just going to wipe it away-

And then Sanghyun leaned forwards and pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. Ji-eun felt the world come to a stand-still around her and all she could feel was the amazing sensation of Park Sanghyun’s lips against her and his tongue slowly flickering up and around to wipe away the milk froth from .

Then he was leaning away and the smile on his face was very, very different. The devil’s teasing glint was back in his eyes, dark and rich and just as sinful as chocolate.  He his lips like he wanted another taste of Ji-eun.

“W-w-what was that?!” she yelped, opening and closing.

Sanghyun brought his thumb to his mouth and kissed it, the same thumb that had caressed her cheeks. He grinned with all his devilish charm. “Service,” he smirked. “With a smile.”

He then gave a small bow and half turned. “Please come back again,” he grinned knowing full well she would. “Have a nice day, valued customer," and then walked away in calm, measured paces, taking his time. 

Ji-eun exhaled, her face bright red. "Y-you...you..arrogant bastard!” she yelled, her fist coming down hard on the table and her eyes flaring with anger. Sanghyun just continued to walk away, laughing hard. Ji-eun watched him go,fists clenched and already plotting her next move in her mind. Sanghyun grinned, awaiting the next game with barely suppressed anticipation. 

Next to Ji-eun, Suzy had fainted of over-excitement. 

Sweet enough? Now if only some charming waiter would sweep me off my feet. Haha, oh well, back to revision for me. Hope you guys enjoyed that little piece of fun xxx