The Frantic Search

Pursuing The Barista

Chapter 2: The Frantic Search

 

“Okay, are you sure you two already have an idea of how she looks like?” Ji Yong asked.

“Dude, do you think we still can’t picture her face after all those descriptions you said over and over again last night?

“Well, I’m just making sure. So, just like I said, once you don’t see the girl inside the coffee shop, call me immediately, okay?” Ji Yong said to the two boys as he shaded his eyes to avoid the glaring sunlight.

“You’ve already said that a million times.” Young Bae replied in a monotone.

“And if you ever do find her, call me immediately, as well.” Ji Yong added.

“That too.” Seung Ri replied in the same monotonous tone.

“And don’t you ever dare hit on her, understand? She’s mine.” Ji Yong said with a noticeable emphasis on the word “don’t”.

“Whoa! Easy, Ji Yong. You’re sounding like you’re her boyfriend already. Don’t get too carried away, bro.” Young Bae replied as he draped one arm around Ji Yong’s shoulder. 

“Anyway, don’t you worry about me. I’m not planning to have a girlfriend anytime.” Young Bae added.

“Well, as for me, there are enough girls to hit on at the bar I’m working at.” Seung Ri replied.

“Okay, then. Let’s get started. We haven’t got all day.” Ji Yong said as he fixed his jacket.

“Yah, why don’t you go check that coffee shop, hyung? We’ll wait for you here.” Seung Ri said as he pointed across the street.

“My thoughts exactly. I’ll be right back.” Ji Yong said and then walked towards the coffee shop.

As he went inside the shop, the relaxing smell of coffee filled his nostrils. He immediately went to the counter and asked about the girl and described her appearance. Unfortunately, the person at the counter said that they didn’t have an employee that fits the description. Ji Yong made a courteous bow before leaving the shop and returned to his two waiting friends.

“Nope. No sign of her there.” Ji Yong said, looking a bit disappointed.

“That’s okay. That leaves us with four more coffee shops to go to.” Young Bae said.

“Okay, I’ll check the coffee shop near the bar I’m working at. I’ll see you later, hyungs.” Seung Ri said, as he walked away.

“I’m gonna check the coffee shop in the next block. See ya, bro. Good luck.” Young Bae said as he went at the other direction.

Ji Yong then decided to check the coffee shop on the next street. When he got there, he received the same answer as from the employee in the first coffee shop he went in.

When Ji Yong got outside the second coffee shop, his phone suddenly rang.

“Yoboseyo?” Ji Yong answered. It was Seung Ri on the other line.

“Ji Yong-hyung, I’ve already been in the coffee shop. She isn’t working there. Where are you now?” Seung Ri said.

“I’m on my way to the square. I also didn’t find her in the second coffee shop I went in.” Ji Yong replied.

“Wait for me. I’m going there. Has Young Bae-hyung called yet?” Seung Ri asked.

“Not yet. I hope he does soon, though.” Ji Yong replied.

“Okay, then. Annyeong.” Seung Ri replied and then hung up.

Just right after Seung Ri disconnected, Ji Yong’s phone rang again. And this time, it was Young Bae.

“Young Bae? What happened?” Ji Yong answered.

“Yah, I think I’ve found your special girl. Come quick.” Young Bae said from the other line.

“Really? I’m still waiting for Seung Ri. We’ll go there as soon as he gets here.” Ji Yong replied.

“Okay, man. Annyeong.” Young Bae said and then hung up.

After five minutes, Seung Ri finally arrived. Ji Yong told Seung Ri about the news and they both went to Young Bae.

They saw Young Bae sitting on a bench just outside the coffee shop. He came to meet them when he saw the two of them approaching.

“Yah, see if that’s really her. She seems to fit your description quite well.” Young Bae said as he came near the two boys.

All three of them walked towards the coffee shop and Ji Yong looked through the front shop window. Young Bae then pointed at the girl he was referring to.

Ji Yong looked at the girl carefully. His excited smile then turned to a frown. It wasn’t her. The girl looked pretty similar to her, though, so he wasn’t surprised that Young Bae mistook her for the real girl.

“Sorry, bro. But it’s not her.” Ji Yong said to Young Bae with a disappointed look in his face.

“Really? Awww. I thought I already found your girl for you. Sorry for the false alarm then, dude.” Young Bae replied, tapping Ji Yong’s left shoulder with his right hand.

“It’s ok. You’ve got nothing to be sorry about.” Ji Yong replied.

“So that means there’s only one more coffee shop left, hyung. Well, I guess it’s time for us to leave. Tell us the good news when you get home, okay? Annyeong.” Seung Ri said, draping his arm around Young Bae’s shoulder and then walking away.

“Bye, guys! Thanks a lot for helping.” Ji Yong called out to them.

Ji Yong then made his way to the last coffee shop in the district—a Starbucks café, located near Hongik University—which was two blocks way. Ji Yong just kept on a steady walking pace at first, but when he couldn’t contain his excitement any longer, he shifted into a sprint so he could reach the coffee shop faster.

After a few minutes of running, he reached the street where the coffee shop was located. He hurriedly crossed the street and walked towards the coffee shop front window to take a look inside. His lips then formed into a triumphant smile.

There she was, standing behind the counter. She was wearing a white button-down shirt and a dark green bib apron with the Starbucks logo sewed at the middle of the chest area. Her hair was brought up into a tight, high bun above her head. She was wearing the same makeup as when he saw her in the bus. And she was also wearing the same irresistible smile as she wiped the polished, wooden counter.

Ji Yong felt his heart racing as he continued to look at the girl. She was just so beautiful that he felt like his heart was going to burst with so much bliss at the sight of her.

“Ji Yong, you can do this. Sweep her off her feet.” he said to himself and smiled. He took a deep breath as he went to the café’s door and opened it.