Chapter 4 (First day of school)

Opening Eyes

 

 

 

 

 

 

Today was a big day for Chae Won. It was her first day of high school but it was also her first day of school. She never been to one in her life. Chae Won was home school with Mrs. Seo of course. Chae Won couldn’t believe that she was actually going to a school like a normal high school student. Chae Won looked at herself in the mirror still not use to her face, not only her face but like surrounding too.  The fact that she was seeing wasn't familiar. Too good to be true.She finally put hair in a loose fishtail braid and smiled.

Come on, Chae Won. It’s the first day of school for you. Don’t make any mistakes. Just smile like this and there won’t be a problem.

 

“Omo! Chae Won ah! You look absolutely gorgeous with you uniform! I can’t believe my daughter is...” Her mom couldn’t finish her sentence because of the joyness as Chae Won walked downstairs towards the dining room.

 

There she go again. Treating me like I am five. Chae Won sighed.

Her stepfather looked up from his morning newspaper,

 

“Honey, Chae Won isn’t a five years old.” Chae Won  thought Thank you!

 

He added, “Chae Won ah, the uniform suits you.” Chae Won nodded and sat down for breakfast. The toast hard to swallow so she just gulped the milk down for breakfast. When she was done, Sora barged into the dining room,

 

“Umma*! I am out of hairspray!” Then she noticed Chae Won was there. She gave Chae Won dirty look secretly and turned around,

 

“Also, appa. My allowance!”

 

“Why do you need allowance? I just gave it to you yesterday.” Her father asked calmly as he flipped the newspaper.

 

“Ok, I need more. Because... For my clothes and my make up! I need to look beautiful.”

 

“Honey, you are already beautiful.” Her mother said as handed Sora a toast. Sora took a bite and replied,

 

“I need to look more beautiful.”

 

“Is it because it’s the first day of second semester?” Her father asked.

 

“No, no. Why would I?” Sora frowned as she checked her phone.

 

“Is there a special occasion?” Chae Won asked. Sora rolled her eyes,

 

“Yes, of course. OK, appa. You know that guy in USA who is really good looking who went to my school? He was a grade under. Remember? We once invited him to our house!”

 

“Ani*. Mianhe*. You’ve brought a lot of guys to our house.” Her father looked up.

 

“The guy who had the highest grade in the school. And the guy who was the handsomest?” Sora added.

 

“Ah! I remember him! So what about him?” Her father finally nodded.

 

“Well, he is here!! Like in this town!! I saw him yesterday at the hospital!” Sora exclaimed.

 

“Ah~ Sora I see. You want to look good in front of him.” Her mother raised an eyebrow playfully. Sora blushed,

 

“Of course. I’ve like him for like five years now! I didn’t forget about him even though I moved here.”

 

Wow, even Sora liked someone before. Wait... If she met him at the hospital, it must be that voice dude! Chae Won thought.

 

“He must be good looking.” Her mom chuckled.

 

“Are you kidding me? He is like... A god. Too good looking to be true! Not only he is handsome, but he is tall, athletic... He is a perfectionist. He is perfect at everything.  I heard he aced the SAT in 8th grade! He should be a model like me. I heard lots of companies offered him but he turned it down all the offers. He is rick also. He is like those mysterious quiet boy but kind of like those bad boy types but he is mannered too....” Sora went on and on about that guy. Clearly, her stepfather was sick of the story but her mom was very interested.

 

"So are you going to meet him?" Her mom asked. Sora's face fell,

" I don't know where to meet him! I gave him my phone number and all but...”

 

“Sweetheart, don’t give up.” Her mother said as she washed the dishes.

 

“Maybe he will come to this school?!” Chae Won added helpfully. She was wanted to start off fresh with her step sister. Sora glanced at her and asked with an attitude,

 

“And what makes you say that?”

 

    Chae Won knew this wouldn’t work out,

 

“Geez, just a suggestion. I mean, if he is staying here, he can come to this school. You said he was smart and all that. So a guy like him might come to one of the best high school in Seoul right? It is kind of logical.”

 

“Whatever. I am leaving.” Sora rolled her eyes again but Chae Won knew that she was right.

 

“Well, come on. Chae Won ah. We better go too. Remember, we are meeting the principle first.” Her mother yelled out from the living room.

 

“Arraso*. Coming!” Chae Won yelled back as she grabbed her backpack.

 

~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~*~~~

 

“Annyeonghaseyo*.” An old man about in his seventy greeted Chae Won and her mom as they sat down.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo*.” They both greeted in unison.

 

“I am the principle of Seoul High School.” The principal said as he flipped through Chae Won’s file, “I see your daughter lost her eyesight for six years... And before that, she had cancer so she had to be home school... So is this Chae Won yang*’s first day of school?

 

Chae Won looked down and her mom replied for her,

 

“Nae. It’s my daughter’s first time.”

 

“But she got accepted to our school by acing our test when she couldn't see. So does that mean she can normally write and read Hangul too?” The principal raise an eyebrow.

 

“Nae, not only that, she can speak three other languages perfectly. Chae Won right now is learning college level math right now.” Her mom replied proudly as she lightly Chae Won’s head. Chae Won smiled a bit.

 

“Ah, Chae Won yang. You are extraordinary. Welcome to our school.” The principal smiled. Chae Won grinned,

 

“Kamsahamnida!”

 

“Well then, I will have Teacher Kang lead you to your classroom.” The principal nodded and a woman in her forties came in. She had white glasses and her hair was in a high neat bun. Not a single hair was sticking out,

 

“Chae Won yang. Please follow me.” Chae Won exhaled nervously and nodded at her mom,

 

“Umma, I will be going then.” Her mom nodded happily.

 

Chae Won silently followed Teacher Kang through the hallway. She stopped at a classroom where it said 2-5.

 

2-5 must be my classroom. Smile Chae Won. Smile. The door slid and everyone hurriedly went back to their seat.

 

“Ahem, as you know, we have a new student today. Her name is Lee Chae Won and she will be joining our class for the rest of the year. She was homeschooled and please take care of her.” Teacher Kang said. Chae Won bowed awkwardly smiling,

 

“I hope I get along. Please take care of me.” The class clapped and one boy from the back asked,

 

“I heard that you were homeschool because you were blind. Is that true?” Chae Won’s face froze and some kid snickered.

 

“Is it true that you are Lee Sora unnie’s younger step sister?” A girl with unnatural red hair asked. Lots of girls gasped. Chae Won couldn’t say anything. I wasn’t expecting this. What should I do? Did I do anything wrong?

 

“How did it feel like to be blind?”

 

“Did you even have friends?”

 

“Ya, of course not. She was home schooled.” Some kids laughed out aloud.

 

“How did you get into this school?”

 

“Was it because you are Sora’s sister?”

 

“Ya! Shut up. Chae Won ah, you can take the very last seat over there.” Teacher Kang pointed. Chae Won slowly walked towards to the desk at the very last row near the window. Everyone shared a desk except for her. Chae Won sighed and slowly took out a book. Some kids glanced at her and Chae Won just could do was stare at the book. Her trembling hand took out a led pencil.

 

“Now please turn to page 59...”

 

God, why does this happen to me? Do I get asked these questions because I was blind? Did I do something wrong? Am I wearing something wrong? Is my hair weird? WHAT DID I DO??  Chae Won sighed as she took her math notes. She fidgeted with her eraser and it accidentally landed on the floor right next to  the girl in front of her. Chae Won didn’t want to ask so she quietly bended over to pick it up but it just wouldn’t reach. Noticing’s Chae Won’s hand, the girl in front of easily picked it up and handed to her,

 

“Here you go.” The girl had long straight black hair with bangs. Indeed she was pretty.

 

“Go.... Gomawo.” Chae Won stuttered. The girl smiled and turned around.

Why the heck did I stutter? She must have thought I was an idiot. God Lee Chae Won. What is wrong with you today? Chae Won scolded at herself in her head.

 

Ring dong ding dong.... The school bell rang for lunch and everyone hurriedly ran to the cafeteria to buy their lunches.

I must look like a loner right now... Chae Won shook her head. Then the girl in front of her turned around and smiled,

 

“Annyeong*! My name is Seo Joo Hyun but call me Seohyun. Welcome to Seoul High School! I hope we get along.” Chae Won was surprised by Seohyun’s unexpected introduction,

 

“Uh... annyeong. I’m Lee Chae Won and I hope we get along...” Chae Won smiled. Seohyun handed her a turkey sandwich,

 

“I have one more. Here have some. It is really good!”

 

“Gomawo.” Chae Won accepted gratefully.

 

“You know, I respect you a lot. You were blind for six years and you got accepted to this school. I was amazed when I heard about you.” Seohyun gazed at Chae Won respectfully.

 

“No no no... Wait, how did you know about that? I don’t think Teacher Kang announced it to the class.” Chae Won asked suspiciously as she took a bit of the sandwich. This is pretty food! Chae Won nodded.

 

“It is called rumors. In our school, lots of things go around here. Also, you are Lee Sora unnie’s younger sister. So you are pretty famous.” Seohyun replied as she sipped on her banana milk.

Ah... I just wanted to blend in and be like a wallflower but now.... Wow, this high school is pretty scary. Chae Won thought.

 

“I know, this high school is scary. Really weird rumors go in and out here. It says it right on your face. But don’t worry. You will get use to it” Seohyun nodded like she read Chae Won’s mind.

 

“Ah... Arrasoo. Gomawo.” Chae Won smiled as she finished her turkey sandwich.

 

“OMG, my friend just texted me! She said there will be another transferred student tomorrow! Daebak! God, there are rumours that he just came from America and his father is the President of Samsung. Damn, he must be rich!” Seohyun exclaimed as she checked her phone.

 

“America? Are you sure?” Chae Won jumped.

 

“Yeah, why?” Seohyun asked.

 

America.... America....  He just came from USA and he is rich. Just like that guy, is it coincidence? Or not? Chae Won thought as she sipped on her chocolate milk.

 

       Chae Won figured out that it wasn’t a pure coincidence when she came back from school. It was him. She knew by the way Sora was acting.

 

Umma! I need to go shopping today! He is coming to our school tomorrow! God, I can’t believe it! Oh my god, umma. So can I please go?” Sora pleaded.

 

“Honey, you don’t need to go shopping. Aren’t you going to wear your uniform to school?” Her mom asked as she was writing something down.

 

“Of course I am going to wear, but the accessories. Those tiny little things will make a difference! Jaebal??” Sora cried.

 

“Yeobo*, just let her go. She must really like that guy. I met lots of boys and I don’t remember most of them. But I clearly remember him now. He wasn’t that bad. Sora should just get a real boyfriend. I’m sick of those scandals between her and all those models.” Her step dad sighed.

 

“Gomawo appa*. You are the best!” Sora squealed and her mom handed her a fifty.

 

“I will be back soon!” Sora yelled happily and dashed out of the house. Her mom turned around to Chae Won and smiled,

 

“How was your first day?”        Chae Won hesitated,

 

“Um... It was good. Yeah it was good... I made some new friends and yeah.” Chae Won finished lamely and added, “Um, I am going to take a shower.”

 

“Mmhmm.” Her parents said in unison as Chae Won walked upstairs.


 

    Chae Won sat down on her bed with a towel wrapped around her head preventing the water from dripping.

Is it normal for a new student to asked rude questions? Was it rude questions? Am I being oversensitive? Is it normal? Am I the one who is weird? I thought I was better than that. But thank god, Seohyun was with me. Or did she do it because she felt sorry for me? Whatever. I don’t even want to think about it. Chae Won plumped down on her bed.

 

 

 

 

 

************

Hello Readers~~

In my opinion, this chapter was a bit boring but please bear with me. ^^

Next chapter, I think I am going - Oops! I was going to spoil it!Sorry!

But there will be Kai in it~~~

Thank you for reading!!!

Subscribe, vote and comment!!

I love you guys and have a nice day!

-Yours4ever