Denial and Acceptance

Denial and Acceptance

He didn't know when he started noticing the younger male more. Maybe it was while they were filming Killing Camp and he noticed he had the cutest laugh ever while he was laughing at his horrible aegyo. Or maybe it was when they were filming Rain Sound and he noticed how good he looked, even with that horrible fur coat on. He didn't know and if he was honest with himself, he didn't really want to know. There were just some things in life that he'd rather leave unanswered, and this was one of them.

Yongguk never saw himself as the romantic type. Yes, it was true that he wrote lyrics and most lyricists were romantics, but it didn't necessarily mean he actually knew what love was.

He had never been in love. He wasn't afraid to admit it. Even at the age of twenty two, he had never known what love was. Never knew what it felt like to have someone to look forward to going home to. He had his family and now he had the members. That was supposed to be enough, wasn't it?

Youngjae was one of s. The brain of the group. The smart one that could be so dumb sometimes. Maybe that was why the lead vocal hadn't noticed how differently he treated him compared to the other members. If anything, he was the only one who hadn't noticed. Everyone had noticed, even the always clueless maknaes. The only ones who really seemed to know why were Himchan and Daehyun.

"How long has it been?" Himchan asked him out of pure curiosity one day. A displeased frown settled on Yongguk's lips. Couldn't Himchan see he was trying to watch his war movie?

"How long has what been?" Yongguk asked impatiently, his attention never wavering from the screen.

He heard an exasperated sigh and could imagine the diva was rolling his eyes. "How long has it been since you've had a crush on Youngjae?"

The question immediately caught his attention. His hands fumbled for the remote as he paused the movie, giving his best friend a confused and slightly alarmed look. "What are you talking about?"

Himchan gave him a stare, looking at him with those intimidating eyes, not that it actually worked on the older male. "Don't play dumb, Yongguk-ah. You know what I mean."

"I don't have a crush on Youngjae," he replied, scanning the dorm for a moment and feeling relieved that the others had decided to watch a movie outside (there was only so many war movies the others could handle before getting sick of it, even if Yongguk himself would never tire of it).

Himchan's mouth twisted into a dissatisfied frown. "You can't fool me. We're friends, aren't we?"

Yongguk rolled his eyes but nodded anyway. No matter how much the ulzzang might irritate him sometimes, they were still friends. Almost as close as Daehyun and Youngjae were.

He almost shook his head, but stopped himself in time. Why did his thoughts keep going back to the brain of the group? Himchan… he couldn't possibly be right, could he?

Yongguk shook the memory away as he pushed open the door, entering the dorm. He ran a hand through his hair and swiped a hand down his face. It was another late night at the studio as he prepared for their comeback. As the leader, he had to make sure everything was running smoothly. He didn't want to disappoint the Babys but most of all, he didn't want to disappoint himself.

It was hard though, staying at the studio for hours on end while the other members went back to the dorm or went to practice together. He craved team bonding time, but he had to do this.

He sighed as he sat down at the table in the kitchen, letting his bag slip off his shoulder and land on the ground with a soft thump. Maybe he wasn't being completely honest with himself. Maybe it wasn't just missing out on team bonding. Maybe it had something more to do with the group's lead vocal more than anything else.

He leaned back, his head tilting upwards to study the ceiling. Maybe it was about time he admitted that Himchan was right (he was bound to be right eventually). Maybe he did have a crush on B.A.P’s resident brain box.

So what? It wasn't like it was going to work out. He was sure Youngjae and Daehyun were together anyway. He didn't really know and he never asked. They might be a team, but there were some things that you had to keep to yourself and relationships were one of them. It was like Jin Rae's and Zelo's awkward relationship. Yongguk had a feeling that the two maknaes were hiding something from the rest of the group, but he never really pestered them about it. Whatever they had, it was between them and he had no desire to find out. He had enough problems of his own.

"Hyung?" a voice spoke up and Yongguk turned to the doorway. His heart clenched as he spotted Youngjae standing in the doorway, a hand resting on the doorjamb while another hand ran through his ashen hair, tousling it. Yongguk's hands twitched, itching to run his own hands through his hair and find out if it was as soft as it looked. "When did you get back?"

"A couple minutes ago," he answered, softly clearing his throat to distract himself from those thoughts. He reflexively looked at the clock hanging on the wall and saw it was almost midnight. "What are you still doing up?"

The lead vocal made a face, his nose scrunching up as his lips formed a slight pout. It made his heart beat faster and he inwardly cursed his body's reaction to the younger's innocent move. It wasn't really his fault Youngjae looked so good in a simple t-shirt and shorts, now was it?

"I got kicked out of my room," he grumbled, looking disgruntled as he sat down opposite Yongguk. He rested his cheek against his hand, a pout still lingering on his lips. Yongguk wanted to groan. Why did he have to appear just when he finally admitted his feelings to himself? He couldn't stop himself from thinking how attractive or – god forbid – cute Youngjae was.

"Why'd you get kicked out of your room?" Yongguk asked in an attempt to distract himself from thoughts of the person sitting in front of him. If he knew admitting his feelings was going to be this frustrating, he would have preferred living in denial.

"Himchan hyung decided he wanted to bunk with Daehyun and kicked me out," came the disgruntled reply.

The rapper's eyebrow rose. What was Himchan trying to do this time? "Himchan?"

"I think he likes Daehyun," Youngjae said, obviously thinking out loud. Yongguk's eyes snapped to the younger, who wasn't even looking at him. Youngjae was staring off into space, his hand tracing random patterns on the table. He supposed it was a good thing, since he was trying his best to read Youngjae's mind. Wasn't he supposed to be jealous? Daehyun was his after all… wasn't he?

"What do you think about that?" Yongguk inquired, studying the younger's reaction very carefully.

He looked at the rapper and their eyes locked for a moment. Yongguk's heart was beating so loud he was sure Youngjae could hear it. In his mind, he cursed his body's reaction once again. He shouldn't have such a strong reaction to him.

Yongguk thought a light blush dusted across Youngjae's cheeks, although it could have just a trick of the light. Why would the younger blush anyway? Youngjae looked away first, his gaze dropping to his hands that were lying flat on the table.

"I think it's a good thing," Youngjae finally replied after a short pause. "Daehyun's had his eyes on Himchan hyung for a while."

"What about you?" Yongguk blurted out and inwardly cursed himself once more. He hadn't meant to ask, but the words had slipped out before he could stop them.

The younger looked surprised at his question. "What about me?"

"Do you have your eye on anybody?" He wasn't even in charge of his own body anymore. It was as if Himchan had possessed him and was forcing him to ask those questions. Damn Himchan…

This time, he was sure Youngjae was blushing. The way his gaze immediately flew to the floor told its own story as well.

"Hyung!" he exclaimed, his cheeks turning a deep scarlet. He was flustered. "I don't – I can't believe – I – hyung!"

The rapper smirked slightly. Perhaps he wasn't the only one affected after all. This was an interesting little tidbit.

"What's wrong?" Yongguk asked, feigning innocence. "It's just a simple question…"

He swore the younger's cheeks darkened more as he floundered for an answer.

"What happened to not butting into our personal lives?" the brain of the group answered haughtily. "I don't have to answer!"

Yongguk hid a smirk. "Fine, fine… don't answer me then." He shrugged and stood up, grabbing his bag. He let it dangle from his hand as he walked toward the door. As he reached Youngjae, he paused. He lifted a hand and placed it on the younger's head. He felt him stiffen and stifled the chuckle that threatened to escape. He was having too much fun with this. "It's late. We should get to bed." He ruffled the vocalist's hair (it was softer than he had imagined, not that he thought about it often) and strode out the kitchen.

When he didn't hear footsteps behind him he stopped and turned. Raising an eyebrow at the younger, he asked, "Are you coming?"

Youngjae shook his head, looking like he was snapping out of a daze. "Huh?"

"You said Himchan stole your roommate – and your room. So you're bunking with me tonight." He probably shouldn't have, but he enjoyed the way the pink flushed across the younger's cheeks.

"W-what?" Youngjae exclaimed softly, still mindful of the others who were still sleeping as his eyes widened. "Hyung, it's fine! I can just sleep on the couch or something…"

Yongguk didn't take 'no' for an answer. He didn't want to seem like he was using his authority as the oldest hyung against the younger, but he didn't exactly want Youngjae to wake up with a sore back either. He grabbed Youngjae's shoulders and steered him towards his and Himchan's room, ignoring his protests.

"It's just for one night," he reasoned. "We have an early schedule tomorrow and you don't want to wake up with a sore back, do you? The couch isn't exactly comfortable."

That managed to quiet his protests and the rapper managed to hide his satisfied smile. It wasn't much (he shouldn't even be that happy, to be honest), but it was something. At this point he'd take anything he can get. He probably shouldn't be so happy to get Youngjae to sleep in the same room as him, but it was worth it to see the blush that was taking over the younger's face.

He led Youngjae into the room and sat him down on Himchan's bed. I'm sure he won't mind. Besides, he was practically asking for it. I'll get him in the morning.

"But this is Himchan hyung's bed. He'll kill me," Youngjae protested, although he didn't move. Yongguk saw him pat the mattress as he turned to grab his sleeping clothes to change into. He didn't doubt that Himchan's bed was probably more comfortable. Being the diva everyone knew he was, he had made a big fuss about his lumpy mattress and managed to convince Manager Kang (via aegyo and a lot of whining) to get him a new, softer mattress. Needless to say, the ulzzang was saddled with a weeks' worth of their manager's laundry and better sleep at night.

"Don't worry about him," Yongguk assured him, looking over his shoulder to flash him a gummy smile and be rewarded with a blush. "I'll handle it. Just go to sleep. I'm just going to change."

"O-okay…" Youngjae mumbled uncertainly, laying down on the bed and turning so his back was facing Yongguk. "Goodnight, hyung."

"Night," the elder replied. Maybe he wouldn't confess just yet. He probably wouldn't confess to him for a long time. Then again, what was the rush? One day, when he was more confident – more sure – of his feelings, he'd confess. Until then, he'd be content with what he had now. After all, it was more than he could have hoped for.