chapter two

Wild Eyes

When the bell rang, the transfer student didn't spare a second before he jumped up from his seat and darted out of the classroom. Lu Han only raised his eyebrows at his moves, but he didn't dare to question. Packing his own bag and putting his books away, he leaves the room with Yixing trailing behind him, like a lost puppy.

"Lucky you! You get to sit next to the new transfer student. He's pretty attractive," Yixing says as they sit down for lunch, laughing. Today, the cafeteria seemed much more busy than usual and the latter could see the workers at the cafeteria - Junmyeon and Kyungsoo working their little butts off at trying to keep up with everyone's orders. Thankfully, Lu Han and Yixing had ordered their lunches before school had started so when they arrived, their lunches were already there, freshly made and ready to be served.

Lu Han shrugs and takes a bit of his ham and cheese sandwich - almost groaning in delight at the taste. Junmyeon and Kyungsoo were sure good at making food. "He seems weird," he comments offhandedly and peers around the cafeteria for the new student. Until now, Lu Han still doesn't know his name.

Finally, Lu Han spots the latter - dashing towards the school garden alone, looking like he is in a hurry. The new transfer student is really fast, Lu Han observes as he follows the transfer student's movements. His movements were fast and agile, almost graceful, and his muscles would stretch in all the right places. Lu Han thinks he has seen those type of running styles before - he just can't remember when - but decides not to think about it too much.

"The new student is really cool, eh?" Yixing comments when his eyes follows Lu Han's gaze.

"Hm," Lu Han agrees but his brain has already wondered somewhere deep inside the forest, accompanied by golden eyes.

 

--

 

"Was today busy?" Lu Han asks as he watches Junmyeon and Kyungsoo take off their aprons and start cleaning the cafeteria after school has ended. "Yup," Junmyeon agrees, "so many people ordered their lunches today. And we also got some really weird order, like that Chanyeol guy who ordered five servings of bacon and egg for some reason."

Yixing bursts into laughter while Kyungsoo clicks his tongue, disapprovingly. "Hey! Don't laugh. Did you know how much of a hassle it was to make? And somewhere along the road we ran out of eggs so we had to run to the supermarket nearby to buy more. A few cracked on the way home and I had to deal with egg-yolk covered hands for 10 minutes without tissues."

"I'm sorry Soosoo, it really was too much for you," Junmyeon says as he pats his best friend's back but there was still a grin on his face.

"Anyway, remember the new transfer student?" Kyungsoo comments and suddenly Lu Han tenses up. He doesn't know why, but whenever the people around him mention that transfer student, Lu Han feels nervous all of a sudden.

"Yes?" Lu Han presses.

Junmyeon shrugs and starts wiping a table, "He was really weird. More than Chanyeol I could say, and that means something," Yixing snickers, "he kept looking at the order meal for like, 5 minutes? And when I asked him would he like spaghetti, he actually muttered under his breath, 'what on earth is that?' before ordering fish and chips. He asked was there rabbits and I almost killed myself by banging onto the table. He seemed so lost."

"Rabbits?" Yixing asks in disbelief, face turning into one of wonder, "who asks for rabbits to eat at school?"

"Maybe he came from a poorer place in China," Kyungsoo pipes in, fixing the milkshake machine, "don't you guys, like, eat rabbits there?"

Yixing makes a face but Lu Han is too stunned to form a reply. "Yeah, maybe," he mutters, but nobody really hears him.

"Anyway, did he say his name? It was strange. When he came into the classroom he didn't even introduce himself." Yixing asks and Kyungsoo shakes his head.

"Nah, plus, we don't do names here like Starbucks and all that. We have numbers tickets so it'd be weird if we asked him for his name."

"Is there anything else he said or did?" Lu Han finds himself asking, very curious about the transfer student.

Junmyeon hums and starts wiping the floor, "I don't remember much since there was a lot of students today, but I think I saw him throwing all the chips in the bin from the fish and chips meal and just consuming the fish. Either he's allergic to potatoes which will be weird or he's trying to diet. But you don't really eat fried fish from fish and chips when you're trying to diet though."

"Maybe he's a carnivore," Yixing says and Kyungsoo laughs so hard he has to put down the milkshake machine for a second.

"Maybe he is," Lu Han says blankly and Junmyeon's head snaps back up.

"What do you mean, Lu Han? That he only eats meat?"

Kyungsoo shakes his head and finally places the milkshake machine back to its spot. "Stop making assumptions about what he eat guys, you're all making him sound like an animal not a human. Maybe he just didn't want to eat chips today."

"But he didn't know what spaghetti was," Junmyeon whines and Kyungsoo just sticks his tongue out.

"Don't mock those who aren't as fortunate as you. Maybe he's too poor to have eaten spaghetti."

"But his uniform looks brand new," Yixing says and Kyungsoo face-palms and goes back to his work.

Lu Han isn't paying attention to what his friends are talking about - instead, he's too focus in his own world, his world in a forest with lush green trees and a clear blue sky. Suddenly a wolf appears inside the scenery and snarls, eyes flaring bright gold--- "Lu Han, we need to go now," Yixing interrupts and pulls Lu Han out of his daydream.

Lu Han blinks a few times before slowly nodding and after saying goodbye to his friends and parting ways, he makes his way home.

Gold eyes...gold eyes...gold eyes.

 

 

 

sorry for the late update;;; i love comments ^^ and check out my other fic - falling from grace if you can :3