「 stay 」

Legends: The Chosen Twelve
Baekhyun hummed, walking up to Tao’s room and nonchalantly opening the door to see the other absentmindedly carding his fingers through Suho’s hair. He raised a brow in question, “Tao?”
 
The other immediately snapped out of his thoughts, shaking his head before stopping his ministrations and turning to look at him. He smiled brightly, “Baekhyun!”
 
“Are you okay?” the other asked worriedly, stepping into the room and closing the door gently, before noticing the bloodstains on the floor. His eyes widened in shock, looking back up at Tao, “What happened?!”
 
Tao sighed, getting up from the bed to walk over to him, “Long story short. The queen accidentally found Suho in here. She was going to attack him until I froze her. Lay got Luhan and Chanyeol in here so our guard could erase her memories. I couldn’t keep her still, and she attacked Luhan.” He looked back to the floor, “That’s Luhan’s blood,” before turning back to Baekhyun and encasing him in a tight hug and lightly chuckling, softly saying, “I guess that’s actually the long story.”
 
Baekhyun’s eyes widened at the sudden hug before a soft smile appeared on his face and he returned it, squeezing him gently for a few seconds, “Are you okay though?”
 
A few silent minutes passed by.
 
“Is my vision wrong?” he softly mumbled into his hair. Baekhyun waited for him to continue. “I saw Lay kiss Luhan. Are they each other’s calling instead of Suho and Lay?”
 
The other’s eyes widened again, pulling back from the hug, “Wait, what?”
 
Tao pouted, nodding, “After Lay healed Luhan from his injury and was cleaning him up, he just… kissed him.”
 
Baekhyun kept looking up at him before looking around him to see Suho still sleeping. He looked back to the time user, “But… I thought they were over.”
 
“That’s what I thought too,” Tao softly said, bringing the other to sit against the bed with him. He linked his fingers with the other, letting the light user rest his head on his shoulder, “Are we each other’s calling?”
 
Baekhyun smiled softly, looking down at their joined hands before bringing it up and kissing one of the other’s knuckles, “I think so.”
 
“But my visions-”
 
“You never had a vision of us,” Baekhyun softly stated, looking in front of him and grimacing at the bloodstains, “That’ll cost so much to get out.”
 
“I’m pretty sure Lay knows you are going to yell at him for that,” Tao commented back gently, looking to the stains before looking next to him at Baekhyun who was still trying to calculate the costs in his head. He sighed softly, smiling at the other’s cute side profile, “I guess you’re right.”
 
Baekhyun looked at him confused only to be surprised at the soft peck on his cheek. He instantly felt warm as a blush spread across his face, “Tao?”
 
Tao simply smiled at him, making the other’s heart beat faster, “How are Chanyeol and the others?”
 
“Um,” the other mumbled out, still looking at him surprised before trying to snap himself out of his shock-induced state, “Um. He’s… fine. They’re fine. They are all fine.” He nervously laughed before looking away from him, “D.O. and Xiumin will be great sparring buddies. Kai is keeping Sehun close to him… and I’m pretty sure Chanyeol found his calling.”
 
Tao’s smile brightened, excitement taking over his features, “Is it the wind user?!”
 
Baekhyun looked at him surprised before laughing and nodding, “Yeah. Sehun is the wind user.”
 
“So, that vision was correct!”
 
Baekhyun rolled his eyes, still smiling, “Yeah. It was right.”
 
They kept smiling at each other, Baekhyun laughing when Tao kept making weird faces at him randomly, until they heard shuffling on the bed behind them. They both immediately stopped what they were doing before turning and peeking their heads above the edge of the bed. They watched as Suho kept shifting before finally groaning and grabbing at the middle of his chest. They both looked to each other before scrambling to get up and flank him on each side.
 
“Suho?” Baekhyun called out softly, eyeing the other’s face as Tao grabbed the water user’s free hand, “Suho.”
 
“Mm,” the other mumbled back, scrunching his face until he squinted one eye open. His vision slowly cleared to show Baekhyun worriedly looking down at him, “Baekhyun?”
 
“How are you feeling?”
 
Suho sighed, looking to his other side to see who was holding his hand, “Hey, Tao.”
 
“Suho,” Tao softly said, squeezing his hand gently, “How are you?”
 
“Completely exhausted.”
 
Tao nodded before looking to Baekhyun, “Can you find Lay? We need to make sure he’s okay.”
 
Baekhyun shifted his gaze from the sluggish water user back to Tao before nodding and quickly making his way out of the room, “Yeah. Know where he is?”
 
Tao followed the other with his eyes, softly mumbling, “Head guard’s room.”
 
Baekhyun stopped in his tracks and spun on his heel, eyes wide, “What?”
 
“What, what?” Suho grumbled out, voice hoarse, turning on his side again, closer to Tao so the other could still hold his hand.
 
The other two quickly looked down at him before Tao turned back to Baekhyun, mouthing off, “Luhan.”
 
Baekhyun bit his lip before nodding, quickly exiting the room to find their healer. Tao looked back down to Suho, returning to carding his fingers through the other’s hair. His lips quirked to the side as an act of uncertainty, watching as Suho quickly fell back asleep, “I hope you are okay, Suho.”
 
xxx
 
Lay sighed, finally and gently putting Luhan down on his bed. He smiled. The other fell asleep on the way there. He moved forward and gently fixed the other’s hair before pulling the covers up to his shoulders. “Lay,” Luhan mumbled, opening up one eye to look at him, “Stay.”
 
He smiled down at him softly, “I need to go make sure Chanyeol and the others are doing well.”
 
Luhan pouted, turning on his side towards him, “You don’t need to.”
 
“It is my duty to make sure my people are alright.”
 
“You used to hide in here,” Luhan argued weakly, pushing back his covers to try and sit up, “From your responsibilities. I’ll watch over them like we used to.”
 
Lay smiled gently at him, fondly, “You know it’s time for me to take on all of my responsibilities.”
 
Luhan just looked at him with sad, tired eyes, eventually mumbling, “Please, Lay?”
 
The healer eyed him, biting his lip in thought, before sighing, “I really should go see if that flight user’s wing is okay. Same with Tao and his energy.” He hesitated for a few more minutes before he took off his shoes and climbed into bed with the other. His heart fluttered at seeing Luhan’s happy face before he sighed fondly, memories from the past suddenly flooding his head.
 
Luhan happily smiled at him before resituating himself on the bed, lying on his side facing Lay, and watched as the other slowly slid down to face him as well. He kept as much distance as he could, not wanting to overstep any boundaries even though the other did so only a few minutes ago. He smiled brightly at him again before closing his eyes, putting his hand under his pillow and bringing the blanket up to cover their shoulders, “Thank you, Lay.”
 
Lay smiled fondly at him, finally remembering more memories than he thought possible, before leaning forward and kissing Luhan on the lips again automatically. He thought Luhan erased most of his memories of them together, only leaving the innocent ones in the beginning and the cruel ones at the very end. He sighed contently, feeling Luhan in a sharp breath in surprise, before pushing a bit more against the elder.
 
Lay kept kissing him gently, enjoying the other’s lips against his own again, before he pulled away, softly mumbling, “Why did you erase such precious memories?
 
Luhan’s lips were still puckered out a bit before he slowly opened his hazy eyes, flush spreading across his face again, “What?”
 
“You-”
 
Lay? Are you in here?” Baekhyun suddenly called out from behind the door, knocking to alert of his presence.
 
Lay looked to the door, hearing Baekhyun knock slightly again, before sighing and looking back at Luhan, who just kept staring at him with a soft look in his eyes. He bit his lip before giving him another quick kiss and making his way out of the bed, “Go rest, Luhan. I kept most of your energy.”
 
You healed me,” Luhan softly mumbled, pulling up the blanket past his chin and followed the other with his eyes. He smiled underneath the blanket, “Being punished by you isn’t so bad.”
 
Lay rolled his eyes playfully, turning to look at him, “Don’t make me do something I’d regret,” before opening the door with a small smile in place, “Yes, Baekhyun?”
 
Baekhyun looked at him slightly surprised, eying him before leaning around to try and get a look at Luhan who seemed to be fast asleep. He bit his lip before gesturing the other to follow him outside.
 
“What is it, Baekhyun?” Lay questioned curiously, looking back to Luhan before following the other outside and closing the door behind him.
 
They walked in silence until Baekhyun stopped at the end of the hall, making Lay stop with him. He turned to the other, “Tao wants you to check up on Suho.”
 
Lay furrowed his brows, completely forgetting about the other, “What’s wrong?”
 
“Suho woke up but kept grabbing his chest,” Baekhyun started off before Lay quickly turned and took off down the hall and down the stairs to get to Tao’s room, “He says he’s completely exhausted, which I understand, but we wanted to make sure he is okay.”
 
Lay nodded, mind now shifting into overdrive at what he just did with Luhan. He bit his lip as he unknowingly sped up his steps, somehow appearing in front of Tao’s room in no time. He took a deep breath before opening the door and entering, immediately seeing Tao running his fingers soothingly into a sleeping Suho’s hair. He tilted his head in confusion before looking next to him at Baekhyun who closed the door after them, “I thought he was awake?”
 
“He was,” Tao softly said, moving to stand up again, “But he easily went back to sleep after telling us he was extremely exhausted.”
 
Lay nodded, walking over to the other and placing a hand on the middle of his back, glowing to see if he can find anything wrong with the other. He closed his eyes and focused, not really seeming to find anything, before opening them again and looking to Baekhyun, “Call a maid to bring a meal and lots of water up here. He’s probably dehydrated after having been asleep for so long, especially since he’s a water user.”
 
Baekhyun nodded, looking to Tao briefly before quickly leaving the room to go get their friend what he needed. Once he left, Tao looked to Lay, question burning in his mind, before he softly said, “Prince.”
 
The other looked at him mildly surprised, stopping his process to face him completely. If any of his friends addressed him by that, whatever they’re going to say next must be incredibly important. “What is it, Tao?” He watched as the younger kept staring at him, gaze flickering to Suho next to him a few times, before he bit his lip, thinking of what he wanted to say. “You know I won’t hurt you,” Lay gently coaxed. The only ones he’s actually really harmed in any way were Chanyeol and Luhan anyways.
 
Tao nodded, knowing that much was true, before he released a deep sigh, looking him straight in the eyes, “Have you found your true calling yet, Prince?”
 
Lay’s eyes widened at the sudden personal question, “What?”
 
You know what I’m talking about,” the other mumbled softly, looking down to Suho, “Is it him… or Luhan?”
 
The healer continued to look at him surprised, not sure what to say, before he felt Suho moving against his hand. His brows furrowed in confusion as he immediately looked away from the time user to look down at the other, “Suho?”
 
Water,” Suho rasped out, too weak to do anything but try and grab onto him, “I need… water…
 
Lay nodded, looking to Tao who immediately went to fetch a bowl of water, “Just get a large amount and put it in a clean washbowl.”
 
Well, I didn’t want to contaminate him,” came the other’s sarcastic voice from the bathroom, causing him to roll his eyes before crouching on the ground to be almost eye-level with the water user. He eyed him, noticing how dry his lips were, as Tao quickly came back with cold water, “Where do I put this?”
 
Lay shrugged, gently shaking Suho, “Suho. What do you need us to do with it?”
 
The other groaned at being jostled before using up most of his strength to lift his hand and flail it in the air, almost hitting Lay on the face before he caught it. Suho sighed, eyes still closed, “Just… let me touch.”
 
Lay raised a brow before he looked over his shoulder at Tao who looked just as confused. The latter shrugged before bringing the bowl close enough and letting Suho’s hand touch it, immersing it in the liquid. They watched, amazed, as the bowl started to glow a faint blue before the light started to radiate through his hand and slowly up his arm, disappearing in his clothes but reappearing wherever there was bare skin present.
 
Entranced, they didn’t even notice when Baekhyun returned into the room with a tray of food, a glass, and a pitcher of water. “What’s going on?” the light user questioned, eyes trained on the glow surrounding Suho’s body, “Whoa.”
 
The other two nodded before they jumped when Suho suddenly sat up, instantly awake now and knocking over the empty bowl. The water user smiled, looking at each of them, “Thank you!”
 
“What in the world?” Lay mumbled, completely surprised as he fell backwards onto his bottom, “What just happened?”
 
“Is that food?” Suho questioned innocently, eyeing the tray in Baekhyun’s hands. When he received a mute nod, he held his hands out in a gesture to grab the food, “Can I eat it?”
 
“Um,” the light user mumbled uncertainly, looking at the other two users who looked just as confused as he felt, “It’s for you.” He slowly started to walk towards the other, flinching a bit as the other’s smile widened even more, waiting for him to place the tray gently on his lap, “Are you okay, Suho?”
 
Suho nodded happily, looking at the delicious food, before digging in, pouring himself a glass of water and drinking it all in one go. He sighed, satisfied, “I’ve been dying of thirst for the past few hours.”
 
“So,” Tao started off slowly, still trying to process the other’s odd attitude change, “Water?”
 
The other nodded again, eating a bite of the food, “I’m a water user. For some reason, I heal faster with water present and even more so if I’m in contact with it.”
 
“Okay,” Tao slowly trailed off, still pretty confused, before looking to Lay who was still staring at Suho like he was part of a new species, “Lay?”
 
Everybody turned to Lay then, wondering why the other questioned him, only to see the healer still staring at Suho who just smiled back at him after swallowing the food still in his mouth. “Lay? What is it?”
 
A crease slowly formed on the healer’s forehead, trying to process his thoughts, before shaking his head gently, “I’m still trying to understand.” Well, honesty was the best policy.
 
“Understand what?” Suho questioned back, going back to his food as Baekhyun moved to sit on the edge of the bed to watch him as well.
 
“Your… power.”
 
“Ah,” Suho breathed out, stopping to drink another glass of water. “Yeah. I basically thrive or live better with lots of water,” he shrugged, “I don’t know. It’s just me that’s like this though.” And suddenly a thought came to him, looking to the others inquisitively, “Where’s Kai?”
 
“Oh!” Baekhyun suddenly exclaimed, getting up and quickly exiting the room, “I need to check on them!”
 
“Huh?”
 
“Uh,” Lay muttered out, door slamming shut while trying to snap out of his complicated thoughts by trying to blink them away. He shook his head, looking to Tao, “Right.”
 
Tao sighed, going over to sit next to Suho on the bed, “Kai is with D.O. and Chanyeol right now.” He looked to Lay for approval while Suho nodded and continued to eat.
 
Lay bit his lip, thinking about it, before softly agreeing, “Only the wind user.”
 
The other nodded as Suho picked his head up at the sudden information, “What wind user?” He only knew of one, and he was supposed to be safe in their own land miles away from them.
 
“Your,” Tao started off slowly, trying to word it correctly, “Your wind user tried to invade our land, but he is safe with Kai right now.”
 
Suho furrowed his brows in confusion, forgetting about his food for a minute, “Why would he invade your land by himself?” He looked to Lay, “How do you know he is with us?”
 
“Luhan threw him out with Kai months ago,” Lay softly said, eyeing the other’s reactions.
 
The water user bit his lip in uncertainty, remembering that and looking away from the healer to Tao, “Is he okay?”
 
“I’m not sure,” Tao answered honestly, looking to Lay for the answer, who just sighed. Honesty.
 
“Luhan almost killed him-”
 
“What?!”
 
“But Kai and I teleported into the room in time, and he saved him. I punished Luhan accordingly and accepted your wind user to stay with Kai in the meantime. I also healed him.”
 
Suho looked at him with wide eyes before taking a quick look at Tao who gave him an apologetic smile, “I didn’t know.”
 
“But,” Suho started off, looking back at Lay, “Sehun’s okay, right? He’s fine?”
 
Lay looked at him confused, “Sehun is the wind user?”
 
The other sighed, “Yes,” causing the healer to nod happily.
 
“He should be fine. With Kai, he should not be injured much at all anymore, especially since Luhan is now resting as well.”
 
Suho frowned, thinking about it some more, before quickly finishing his food. Once he was done, he looked at him, “Can I go see him?”
 
Lay immediately shook his head, earning a questioning glance from Tao, “I’ll just have Kai bring him in here to meet you,” he looked to Tao, “If that is okay with you. If not, we will just bring him to that same common room again.”
 
The water user looked to Tao, wondering what his choice would be. He was surprised to see Tao give off his cat-like grin again. “He may come in here, as long as Baekhyun is comfortable with the idea.”
 
Lay nodded at the answer, getting up to leave the room, “I will be right back then. I will consult Baekhyun with this.” He looked back at Tao and Suho, “Make sure Suho stays in here. He just recovered, for the most part, so we will keep him light on his feet until we are sure he is completely better.”
 
Tao nodded and saluted to him before moving to let Suho put the tray on the bedside table, “Of course, Lay.”
 
The healer smiled appreciatively at him before leaving the room. They wouldn’t mind his quick visit to Luhan. Tao’s words continued to ring within his head though. Did he already have a calling to one of them? He wasn’t even sure any more.
 
xxx
 
“Do we really have to keep them in here?” Kai questioned once again, arm casually linked with Sehun’s. They stood outside of the cell where D.O. just reconnected the bars again to keep in Xiumin, Chen, and Kris.
 
“Yes,” Chanyeol confirmed, standing on Kai’s free side with his arms crossed, glaring at Kris who just snarled back at him, “Until Lay says otherwise.”
 
“Who in the world is Lay?” Chen finally asked, looking at the others outside of the cell a bit desperately, “We know he’s a healer, but who is he?”
 
D.O. gave him a half-smile, “Yes. He’s our healer.”
 
Chen just gave him a look before Kai laughed, walking forward and sticking his free hand out. The lightning user rolled his eyes before walking forward and putting his palm against the other’s gently, muttering out “You odd one” when Kai linked their fingers together. “I am odd. He’s the one who commanded Luhan to not kill you guys and ordered Sehun to stay with me.”
 
“He sounds like he has authority,” Xiumin quietly said, looking away from Kai and Sehun to Chanyeol and then D.O, “Like the son of a general or even royalty.”
 
Kai’s eyes widened at the comment, now understanding why everything seemed so familiar. He looked to D.O. who seemed to have not been fazed at all by the statement. “Is that true?”
 
D.O. shrugged before turning to Chanyeol who smirked at them, “Let’s go, D.O.” His eyes flicked to Kai before landing on Sehun, “You two as well.”
 
The other two looked at them confused before Kai turned back to Chen, smiling and letting go of his fingers, “We’ll see you later.”
 
“See you soon,” Sehun quietly said, giving each of them a small smile before cutely waving at them.
 
“You keep him safe, Kai,” Kris called out after them, earning him another small smile over the youngest user’s shoulder and Kai’s lazy wave towards them.
 
D.O. and Chanyeol waited until the other two were out before the former did the routine hand gestures to close up the wall to their cellars. They turned, D.O. leading the way again with Kai and Sehun walking next to him, as Chanyeol followed behind.
 
Kai eyed D.O, wondering why the other didn’t respond to his question at all. If Lay really were the son of a general or even royalty, wouldn’t they be treated much worse than this? He frowned, as D.O. didn’t seem to catch his questioning gaze before he softly spoke up, “D.O?”
 
“Yes, Kai?” the other responded back softly, tilting his head to look up at him, “What is it?”
 
He kept staring into the other’s eyes, “Back there… Is it-”
 
“It is not in my place to reveal positions amongst the soldiers.”
 
Kai frowned at him, nodding, as he understood the situation, before he opened his mouth to switch subjects.
 
Chanyeol furrowed his brows, wondering why this wind user enchanted him more than the way Luhan first enchanted him. He eyed the rainbow hair, briefly flicking his eyes to the back of Kai’s head only to see him softly talking to D.O. on the other side of him. He looked back to Sehun, slowly eyeing him down, before he realized that there was definitely something different with this user.
 
Kai,” Sehun suddenly whispered, tilting his head slightly to make sure his best friend heard him.
 
The other stopped talking to D.O, causing the latter to look curiously at them, before turning to look at Sehun, “What is it, Sehunnie?”
 
“Stop calling me that,” Sehun deadpanned, causing Chanyeol to smile softly at the cute nickname the other said. The wind user tilted his body in closer to Kai’s before whispering even lower, “The fire user won’t stop staring at me.”
 
“What?” Kai questioned, confused as he tried to turn his head to see the other, only to have Sehun’s hand shoot out and basically grip his chin and cheeks, squishing them together so his lips puffed out.
 
Don’t look.”
 
D.O. looked at them curiously with wide-eyes before tilting his head back to see Chanyeol shift his eyes from Sehun to raise a brow at him in question, “Yeol.”
 
“Yeah, D.O?”
 
Sehun really wanted to glare at the earth user, but he was still pretty scared of what would happen to him if he did, so he forcibly turned Kai’s face towards the other, surprising D.O. The latter stared up at Kai’s squished face, Kai looking equally confused and annoyed, before he burst out into laughter at the funny sight.
 
Chanyeol’s eyes widened at the sudden laughter before he started to chuckle at the sight in front of him. Sehun’s eyes flicked over to him, cautiously eyeing him, before looking back to Kai when he felt the latter suddenly his fingers. He grimaced, pulling away from the other quickly, “Kai! That’s gross!”
 
Kai just gave him a cheeky smile as D.O. laughed some more, “You were begging for it!”
 
And Chanyeol silently groaned at that, thinking about the wind user.
 
“Come on, you two,” D.O. lightly said, opening the door to the common room before gently pushing them in. He turned to his friend, bright smile in place, “You too, Chanyeol.”
 
The other silently nodded, not trusting his mouth at the moment, as he followed them in. He watched as D.O. closed the door behind them before turning back around to see Sehun run and jump on the couch with Kai not far behind. A small smile made its way onto his face as his friend tapped him on the side. He raised a brow before turning to look down at him, “Yeah?”
 
“You like him,” D.O. accused, his own smile in place as Kai made himself comfortable and started annoying Sehun like how he’s always done.
 
Chanyeol frowned down at him, walking away to stand next to the window. He’s always loved being near bright places, especially when he could see and feel the sun’s rays on him. “No, I don’t.”
 
“Why do you keep looking at him then?” the other questioned, trailing after him.
 
“He has rainbow hair.”
 
“Like that has anything to do with it.”
 
Chanyeol glared at his friend, “You know it does. He’s just interesting.”
 
“Uh huh,” D.O. slowly said, smirk finding its way onto his face, “Interesting enough to get into his pants?”
 
D.O!” the Phoenix hissed, quickly slapping a hand on top of his friend’s mouth, “What’s with you?
 
“Hey, D.O?” Kai suddenly questioned, causing both of them to turn to him, only to see him and Sehun looking at them curiously, “Can I ask you a question?” he eyed Chanyeol, “Privately?”
 
The other two looked at him confused before the shorter male swatted Chanyeol’s hand away to go sit down next to Kai. Chanyeol scowled, eyes briefly connecting with Sehun’s, before turning away to look out of the window again. Sehun continued to eye him even when D.O. sat down and looked at them imploringly.
 
“Can I honestly ask you a question?” Kai softly asked while holding onto Sehun’s hand for support even though the other’s attention was directed somewhere else.
 
D.O. eyed the joined hands briefly before looking up into Kai’s questioning gaze. He nodded, “Of course.”
 
The other took in a deep breath, leaning forward a bit to whisper even more softly, “Do you believe we’re evil and terrible?
 
The question caught the earth and wind users off-guard, the latter turning his attention back to his friend, “What?”
 
D.O.’s eyes were wide before he slowly composed himself again, thinking about the question. He looked down, carefully thinking about it, about Kai and Sehun, and then Chen and Suho. A soft smile made its way onto his face, as he looked back up at Kai, “No.” He enjoyed the look of surprise on Kai and Sehun’s faces before he continued, “I personally think the soldiers of the Land of Day are more evil than you and your friends.”
 
“Why?” came Kai’s soft whisper.
 
“Because we can see the genuine personality you and Suho have,” D.O. then looked to Sehun, “And Sehun’s too,” he looked back to Kai, “Compared to you guys, we hide more secrets than you’d probably think.” He sighed, leaning back against the couch, eyes flicking over to Chanyeol’s form for a few seconds, “The ones with the genuine personalities are probably Chanyeol and our other friend.”
 
“I think you have a genuine personality too,” Kai softly commented, Sehun looking back to Chanyeol’s unmoving form by the window who now had his arms crossed in front of his chest.
 
D.O. lightly chuckled, looking back at him out of the corners of his eyes, “Because my element is as solid as my personality is. Chanyeol is genuine because fire doesn’t lie – it has one of the purest forms of blue flames that Chanyeol loves to use. Baekhyun has made sure that our other friend has been raised and brought up living a just life.”
 
Kai nodded, turning to look up at Sehun when he felt the other remove his hand and stand up. He gave the other a curious look, “Where are you going, Sehun?”
 
Sehun didn’t say a word as he quietly made his way over to the fire user, causing D.O. to grin brightly at that. “Leave them be,” he softly said, watching as Sehun stood off to the side of Chanyeol and seemed to be playing with his hands, “Why did you invade our land?”
 
The other shifted his gaze, turning to see D.O. staring back at him. He gulped, “You would immediately destroy us.”
 
“I’m not that terrible.”
 
“You would probably maim us,” Kai reasoned, trying to avoid answering the question.
 
D.O. just stared at him, teasing glint in his eyes, “Try me.”
 
The other swallowed again, nervous as he looked to Sehun, “Promise me you will only deal harm to me and nobody else.”
 
“You’re being ridiculous, Kai,” D.O. tried to lightly say only to be met with a serious look. He furrowed his brows, wondering why they invaded their land before nodding, “I promise.”
 
Kai looked at the other, searching his eyes, before softly saying, “I made Suho enter in first to gauge how evil and powerful all of you were. We were trying to understand why our people were cast away in darkness and deemed terrible while your people remained and were cast in a good light.” He frowned, “We knew he would immediately be treated as someone kind because that’s just who he is – a completely true and kind gentleman. I found his energy source and invaded the land to make sure he was okay and to provide backup into finding more information that has been kept secret this whole time.”
 
D.O’s mouth fell open a bit in surprise, “You were trying to destroy our land.”
 
“No, no!” Kai quickly exclaimed, looking to him and shaking his hands in front of him negatively, “We weren’t trying to do that!” He relaxed a bit again, eyeing him, “We just wanted to know why our land was cast in darkness. I’ve heard stories about how our lands used to be one, but somewhere along the way, some people were separated and casted to the darker side of the land. My father affirmed this, saying his own grandfather was casted out, and we had no idea why.” He looked to Sehun who was looking up at Chanyeol curiously, “I’m just trying to figure out why.”
 
The other closed his mouth, trying to digest the information, simply because that had been his own thoughts about the two lands for years now. The only person who knew of his opinions and questions were Tao, and yet here was somebody else wondering the exact same thing.
 
Kai looked at the other worriedly, debating on whether or not to wave a hand in front of his face. He didn’t. “D.O?” he gently coaxed, leaning forward the tiniest bit, “I’m sorry.”
 
D.O. focused back into the conversation, looking directly into the teleportation user’s eyes, “It’s… It’s okay.” He willed his heart to slow back down since it decided to slowly speed up on its own, “I’ve… been wondering the exact same thing.” He smiled softly at him, “Exactly the same thing.” Kai looked at him questioningly before he continued, “I’ve always been curious about the Land of Night ever since we first learned about it in lessons and stories.”
 
“You have?”
 
D.O. nodded, looking to the ground in front of him, “I believe there is a seed of truth and kindness in each person. Even in our queen,” he mumbled the last part before looking over his shoulder to see Chanyeol reaching out a tentative hand towards Sehun, “I know we’re horrible. If you saw our queen in her true form, you would think she belonged in the Land of Night instead.”
 
“What’s Chanyeol doing to Sehun?” Kai abruptly questioned, curiosity overpowering their serious conversation as he followed the other’s line of sight.
 
xxx
 
Sehun curiously looked up at Chanyeol, eyeing the other as he simply looked out of the window and watched random citizens walk by outside the castle. He thought the other was unpredictable by how he acted with Xiumin and then with Kris, but then D.O. mentioned the other is just like his element. He was instantly entranced. He bit his lip. He could always put out fire if he needed to by removing the oxygen around them.
 
“What is it?” came Chanyeol’s deep voice, eyes not leaving the scenery, “Why are you looking at me?”
 
“Are you just like your element?” Sehun questioned curiously, bluntly, leaning a bit away from the other. Kai always did tell him he still had a childish quality about himself.
 
Chanyeol shifted his gaze to look at the young man beside him, “I’ve been told that I’m unpredictable like fire.” He eyed the other, tilting his head slightly to get a better look at him, “You?”
 
Sehun shrugged, turning to look out the window and see little kids running around outside, “Kai always said I’m like wind. I cling. I leave. I do as I please.”
 
The other nodded, eyes fixed on the other’s features. “Do you know my name?”
 
“Chanyeol,” Sehun instantly replied, turning to look at him, “You already know my name.”
 
Chanyeol’s lips quirked into what looked like a small smirk, “I do, Sehun.” And he loved the way the name rolled off of his tongue. “Why did you color your hair like that?”
 
“Why not?”
 
Chanyeol’s smirk widened, instantly seeing the little rebel in Sehun’s personality, “You look like you fit in with the Land of Day.”
 
Sehun smiled shyly at that, turning to look back out the window, “Well, I just liked the abundance of colors. It’s different.”
 
“It’s interesting,” Chanyeol commented, looking back out the window before shifting his gaze back to the other, “It attracts the eye.”
 
“What?” the younger breathed out, caught off-guard as he instantly looked up at him.
 
Chanyeol gave him a small smile, slowly reaching out so the other wouldn’t think he was harming him. “The bright colors attract the eye,” he repeated slowly, surely.
 
Sehun just stared at the fire user, completely entranced as he saw the hand coming closer and closer to him out of the corner of his eye. “What?” he breathed out again.
 
“I’m not entirely sure,” Chanyeol murmured in his deep voice, causing tingles to go down the younger user’s spine. His hand completed its distance as his fingers tentatively touched the edges of Sehun’s hair. His mind reeled at the feeling of the incredibly soft strands. He looked back into Sehun’s eyes, seeing the fear and confusion and gentleness in them, before moving his fingers forward some more and carding his fingers softly through the other’s rainbow hair. He watched transfixed as Sehun’s eyes immediately closed at the intimate gesture before he shifted his hand, hooking them in the back of Sehun’s hair and gently tugging him forward.
 
Sehun lightly whimpered, following the gesture as he took a step closer before opening his eyes, now a fuchsia color. He became entranced as he saw Chanyeol’s orbs slowly shift colors from a warm brown, little colored specks invading the irises, before they finally turned burnt orange. He let out a shaky breath when he felt the other’s fingers carding through his hair again, seeming to take his time with mapping out the individual strands of his hair and scalp. “What are you doing?” he whispered, completely caught up in the moment.
 
Chanyeol eyed the way the other’s mouth moved, not entirely sure himself. “I’m not entirely sure,” he repeated back in a low whisper.
 
“What are you guys doing?” Kai called out curiously before suddenly appearing behind Sehun and wrapping his arms around his waist protectively.
 
Their eyes immediately returned back to normal as Chanyeol quickly retracted his hand, taking a step back as his eyes widened in surprise. “Kai!” Sehun hissed out, tilting his head to face him when he felt the elder put his chin on top of his shoulder.
 
“What?” Kai drawled out with a lazy smile, blowing a bit of the leftover black smoke surrounding them towards the fire user and causing D.O. to laugh from his place on the couch, “I got jealous Chanyeol was touching my best friend.”
 
D.O. rolled his eyes, watching amusedly as Chanyeol’s face started to turn red in embarrassment and anger at being caught, “Are you okay, Chanyeol?”
 
Chanyeol immediately looked to him and glared, envy quickly filling up his chest when he turned to look back at Sehun, whom was now whisper arguing with Kai who still wouldn’t let up on his shoulder. He frowned, quickly making a beeline to D.O. and sitting in Kai’s previous spot, “You .”
 
“What did I do?” the other questioned innocently, “We were just wondering what you two were doing when I allowed Kai to disrupt your little moment.”
 
Chanyeol sulked, leaning back into the couch and crossing his arms in front of his chest petulantly like a child, refusing to turn and look at Sehun and Kai as he heard them arguing loudly over something that sounded so trivial.
 
“You could probably whip him into shape… or into your hands.”
 
“Kai.”
 
“You know-”
 
Kai,” Sehun warned.
 
“Because you’re wind,” Kai concluded, cheeky smile showing as he moved to nuzzle his head against his best friend’s, “You can whip him.” He chuckled afterwards, “He’s your biggest fan.”
 
“Oh my spirits,” Sehun groaned, trying to remove the other’s arms from around his waist, “Please, stop.”
 
“No way, Sehunnie.”
 
“Stop calling me that!”
 

a/n: in celebration of hitting 100 subs (you guys are so awesome), chapters are definitely getting longer! this chapter's word count is over 6k. i hope you enjoyed~ :3
yes, yes. lay, luhan, and suho are... it'll get interesting.
chanhun is the cutest thing i swear. in my top 3 otp right now probably.
and you know. kaisoo. /hearts
-catalyst