Faerie Mischief

Like Glass

 

 

 

 

Hyesung stood on the edge of Eric's lot, fiddling anxiously with the strap of the messenger bag slung over his shoulder. Eric was outside today, enjoying the sun while he installed a remote car starter in someone's sleek new convertible. They both had class in a few hour. The tuition Hyesung had already paid would carry him through the rest of the semester but he wanted to spend a little time with Eric before then.

But what if Eric doesn't want to spend time with me? whispered an insidious voice at the back of Hyesung's mind. What if this is all unbearably awkward now? Every time Hyesung thought of what had passed between them his body quaked, wound tight by the tension of those memories. Did Eric feel the same, or did he just regret it?

 Hyesung took a deep breath and started across the lot. Grass rustled beneath the heel of his boots. He was wearing some plain black slacks and dress shirt. Nothing like the leather suit from before. He didn't want to look like he was throwing himself at Eric.

"Hey Eric," he called, to get it over with. "How about some lunch?"

 Eric straightened and poked his head out of the car. When he caught sight of Hyesung his expression went...odd. Kind of unreadable, especially around the mouth, which quirked at one corner like he didn't know whether to smile or be agitated. Hyesung's stomach plummeted to the region somewhere near his feet; he tightened his grip on the bag strap until his knuckles hurt.

Then, though the day was still, a strong gust of wind rushed over him. It came up from underneath, Disheveling his perfectly groomed hair. Hyesung spat a string of curses as he straightened his hair down, but nothing could save his hair. And he could have sworn he heard a faint giggle amid the roar of wind, though the only one laughing was Eric.

"A regular gentleman, aren't you?" Eric teased. 

Hyesung brushed a wayward strand of hair from his eyes and glowered. "Dirty mouths have their uses, you know," he snapped. Then his cheeks went red and he continued hastily, "Not that—I mean, I didn't mean...I wasn't trying to imply..."

Now Eric smiled for real, at last. "You mentioned something about lunch?"

Grateful for the change of subject, Hyesung slid the bag off his shoulder and held it up. He and Eric walked over to a couple plastic chairs standing nearby. Eric sat on the ground, but for once he wore clothes he didn't want to get dirty. As he settled himself in the chair, Eric touched the slacks he was wearing and slid his fingers down the material from his knees down to his ankle.

"I like this." Eric commented

 Hyesung flushed. "Oh."

Hyesung opened the messenger bag and rifled through it. The sandwiches were packed at the bottom, nestled against an ice pack. But it was hard to concentrate with Eric's hand sliding beneath his pants. He found himself barely breathing as Eric's fingertips glided over his skin, touching the flesh of his calf. Come on, he thought, grow up. You're not a teenager anymore.

 Hyesung held his sandwich out to Eric.

"Thanks." Eric stopped touching him; Hyesung couldn't decide if he was annoyed or relieved. "So these are the kinds of clothes you bought?"

"Yeah. Among other things." Hyesung said

"And has there been anymore...trouble?" Eric asked.

 Hyesung shook his head. "Aside from Junjin hanging around my room at night, giggling and telling stories? Nope."

 Eric chuckled. Then silence fell between them. Not awkward silence, remarkably enough; just the sort of companionable quiet they'd always shared, ever since the first day Eric had helped Hyesung with car repairs. Eric leaned against Hyesung's knee as he ate. And though he still tingled from that one little touch, Hyesung managed to ignore it, to just enjoy having Eric close.

"So...you like having brothers?"

 Hyesung started in surprise. He hadn't expected that question. He hadn't expected Eric to speak much at all, not while he ate. "I...yeah. Though it'd be easier if I felt like I could trust them..."

"Why exactly have they appeared now?" Eric wanted to know. "What—what does it all mean? Are you gonna sprout wings or something?"

"I doubt it," Hyesung said with a laugh. 

Eric went silent for a moment. He finished the last few bites of his sandwich, then crumpled the Saran wrap between his hands. What's going on? Hyesung wondered, watching him. Eric's shoulders looked so tense. Hyesung wished he could give Eric the answers he wanted, but he didn't know what they were. Nor was he sure he wanted to. If Hyesung stopped to think about it he might go crazy.

"Just...don't let them take you away from me, Sunggie."

His heart thumped painfully. At first Hyesung couldn't quite believe he'd said it. But Eric kept staring down at the Saran wrap in his hands, fidgeting with it as though he was nervous. Hyesung reached down, coiled his fingers in Eric's hair and let the fine strands slip through his grasp. Idly he him, a smile tugging irresistibly at his lips. Whatever else, what happened between them wouldn't destroy their friendship.

"I'm not going anywhere, Eric."Hyesung said

"You don't have to go somewhere for them to take you away from me," he pointed out. He turned, pushing up onto his knees. His hands settled on Hyesung's thighs, sending heat through his slacks. "You're my best friend. So...promise me."

Eric struggled with the words but Hyesung saw the sincerity in his eyes. Hyesung caught Eric's face between his hands and leaned down to kiss him lightly. "I promise."

"Good. I'd better get back to work." He returned the kiss, then stood. "Are you gonna stick around?"

 Hyesung patted the messenger bag. "Thought I'd study a little."

A smile brightened Eric's features, a sort of boyish smile Hyesung rarely saw. It had been such a long time since he'd studied around him, since he'd let him be part of his life. Ever since they had both started college they've been pretty distant and busy. Eric said nothing, just watched as Hyesung pulled out a book from his bag. Not until he'd begun reading did Eric get back to work.

 Hyesung sighed, soaking in the warmth of the sun overhead. His father's funeral and all that dreary rain seemed so far away. Maybe it won't be so bad after all, she thought, his fingers tracing out the lines of the sentences. Even if I have to stop going to school for a little while, maybe I can make it work out. At the very least, there was nothing Miri could do to harm him anymore.

"Wow, you're very dedicated."

Hyesung nearly jumped out of his skin. Somehow he managed to hold onto his book, though now there was a long tear down the page. Scowling, he smoothed down the page and began reading again. Hyesung studied Junjin from the corner of his eye, hoping his brother realized how annoyed he was.

Junjin let out a whistle and leaned closer. Hyesung caught the scent of citrus and spice, a smell that always lingered around his brothers. Junjin wore shorts and cherry red Converse high tops, an odd departure from his usual style choices. He looked like mischief personified, his dark eyes all aglitter.

"What are you doing here?" Hyesung demanded.

 Eric poked his head out of the car. "Something wrong?" His eyes went right through Junjin, not seeing him.

"Uh..." Hyesung glanced sidelong at his brother. Junjin waved at Eric, but he didn't see that either. "No, nothing. Just...talking to myself."

Eric ducked back into the car. Hyesung watched him, wishing he didn't have to work. Then they could...well, Hyesung wasn't sure what, but they could do something together. To distract himself he turned to Junjin.

"Why can't he see you?" he asked as quietly as he could.

"Mortals can't see us, not unless we want them to," Junjin explained with a shrug. "I wasn't even gonna show myself to you, but seriously. What's up with this? He's trapped in that itty bitty space and you're not taking advantage of it?"

"He's working, Junjin. You know, that thing us mortals do all the time, to have food and clothes and stuff."

Junjin snorted, rolled his eyes. He pulled the book from Hyesung's lap, set it aside, and pulled Hyesung from the chair. Hyesung bit his lip, trying not to cry out.

With giggles aplenty, Junjin pushed him across the lot. Hyesung grappled with his brother, struggling to stifle his own laughter. Inch by inch they closed the distance between the chairs and the car. Dirt and grass tore up beneath their feet. Though Junjin didn't look it, a great deal of strength coiled in Junjin's slender frame. No matter how hard Hyesung fought, he couldn't stop from coming closer and closer to the car.

The pushing stopped suddenly. Hyesung stood facing the driver's side door, panting. He thought Junjin had tired of the game. Then hands pressed hard against his back and shoved. He yelled, but he couldn't stop himself from falling forward into the car right on top of Eric.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I am always apologizing for being late. I am seriously honestly sorry. I had to correct this chapter a few times worrying that it's too short or that I didn't explain that it was the next day. I just gave in and decided to post it and not have it in editing for the next few days. Sorry if there is any errors. My editor was busy. I'll make her read it later and see if I missed anything.  Thank you for reading this story! I am so amazed by how many people actually read this story. In the beginning it was meant for my friend who is a huge Ricsung fan but now I write it for all of you. I didn't see this getting such a big following. I am thankfull for all the subscribers and upvotes. Thank you for all the comments I really really apprieciate your opinion. Please tell me if there is anything I can do to make this better for you. I know that the characters aren't spot on but this is my "If they weren't Shinhwa" story. Thank you again and PLEASE COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE.<3