Ch. 1

Everything's Golden

It'd been a long, stressful day at the office and all Tiffany wanted to do was relax with a nice hot cup of coffee and rant about her day to her best friend, Taeyeon. Unfortunately, Taeyeon suggested they'd meet at one of the newly opened cafes a few blocks from Tiffany's work place. The unfortunate part being the fact that Tiffany had no idea where it was and she was really bad with directions. So even though the café was only a few blocks away from her work, she still managed to get lost. It wasn't until she stopped by a Walgreens and asked for directions that she was finally on her way.  

 

When Tiffany found the café, she stood by the door and blew at her bangs that had fallen into her face during the walk. By this time, she was tired, her feet hurt from the walk, and she felt even more stressed than she already was. She actually had  to mentally face palm herself. Why did I choose to walk again?, she questioned herself. She would later remember that she decided to walk because she wanted to save on gas and not hassle with finding a parking spot, which was ALWAYS a hassle in San Francisco.  

 

But after she pulled the door open and walked into the cafe, the smell of fresh brewed coffee comforted her. As did the soft jazz music playing in the background and the warmth of the interior design. The brunette closed her eyes and inhaled deeply. As she exhaled, the stress of the day seemed to have disappeared. I like this place already, she thought before looking around. She found Taeyeon sitting in the back corner near one of the huge windows. When Taeyeon saw her, she waved and signaled her over. Tiffany smiled happily, her eyes turning into upside down crescent moons in the process, as she walked over and sat across her best friend.   

 

The two had been best friends since kindergarten, literally growing up together in a rich borough just outside of LA with their well-to-do parents. They were so close that they considered themselves sisters and both their parents treated them both as so, often sleeping over at each other's houses or going on each other's family trips. The two had pretty much gone through every flip and dip life threw at them together. Their first crush. Their first pimple. Their first kiss. High school. College. Their first real job. It was actually thanks to Taeyeon that they were both working in very prominent companies in San Francisco for their particular area of interest. Taeyeon was in interior design, while Tiffany was in fashion design and advertising. Tiffany was actually thinking of moving to New York and seeking employment there. But since Taeyeon begged her to go to San Francisco with her, she didn't have the heart to say no. And she was glad she didn't say no. San Francisco was no New York, but she loved the city by the Bay and she loved the company she was working for. It had now been 5 years since the two best friends had called San Francisco home.  

 

"This place is adorable," Tiffany commented as she got comfortable on the wooden black lacquer chair.  

 

"Isn't it?" Taeyeon beamed. "A co-worker of mine told me about it and since you and I love cafes, I figured it'd be nice to check it out. Bonus that it's like right down the street from your office."  

 

"If their coffee is as good as this place looks, I may be coming here quite often."  

 

"Well, let's go order something and see if this'll be our new spot."  

 

Tiffany nodded her head in agreement as she got up and followed Taeyeon over to the counter. The menu had the usual café offerings, but they also had a section dedicated to original creations. The two friends ended up ordering from that section. After putting in their orders and paying, they returned back to their seats.  

 

"So how was your day?" Taeyeon asked first as she fixed her red pencil skirt. "You looked a little flustered when you got here."  

 

"Because I was," TIffany rolled her eyes thinking back on everything that's happened that day.  

 

"What happened?"  

 

"My day was just off. Remember that important presentation I had to give?" Taeyeon nodded her head remembering Tiffany telling her about it.  

 

"I had it all set, but this morning I slept through my alarm, which still boggles my mind since that's never happened to me. So I was pretty much late for work by half an hour. My boss was pissed of course, but I still made it on time to give my presentation. Probably the only good thing about my day was that the company I was pitching to loved my ideas."  

 

"That's great!" Taeyeon smiled.  

 

"Yeah. So after a horrible start to my morning, I was back on a high because of the presentation. But then it went back to being crappy again." Tiffany sighed.  

 

"How so?"  

 

"My boss praised me for a successful presentation, but still punished me for being late. It was my first time ever being late, yet she still punished me."  

 

"What'd she do to you?" Taeyeon's brows knit together with concern.  

 

"I ran errands for her all day. I picked up cloth samples, I got her coffee, I got her lunch, I made copies, I organized folders and magazines. Yadayadayada."  

 

"Fun."  

 

"Lots of fun." The sarcasm oozed from Tiffany's veins. "Then, to end my fun-filled day, I got lost on my way here...as usual."  

 

"I'm sorry."  

 

Tiffany waved off her best friend's apology.  "Not your fault."  

 

By this time, one of the baristas finally came and brought their drinks.  

 

"Thanks," the two friends told the handsome barista after he placed the drinks on their table.  

 

"No problem," he smiled at them.   

 

"He's cute," Taeyeon mouthed when the barista's back was turned to them. Tiffany just shook her head.  

 

"Should I tell Jiyong oppa that his lovely wife is making googley eyes at the barista?" the brunette mock threatened before taking a sip of her drink.  

 

"I was not!" Taeyeon squealed. "And don't you dare tell my husband I said that. I only said it to make you look since you're still on the hunt for a boyfriend. 

 

"Thanks for your concern, Taeng, but after Siwon, I don't think I want you setting me up with any more guys."

 

"And what was wrong with Siwon? I thought you liked him."  

 

Tiffany took another sip of her drink before answering.  

 

"He was a nice enough guy, but he was so..." she paused trying to think of the word. "He was so...vanilla."  

 

Taeyeon giggled. "Vanilla? How is a person 'vanilla'?"  

 

"You know, nice, but plain. He had no pizazz."   

 

Taeyeon thought back on Siwon and then nodded her head in agreement. "He did seem pretty stiff at times."  

 

"See." 

 

Siwon was a manager of a trendy Asian-Mexican fusion restaurant that often catered to Taeyeon's department. Since she was also the person in charge of their department's finances, she interacted with Siwon a lot. From the get-go, Taeyeon's impressions of him were that he was tall, good looking, and very nice. So she instantly wanted to introduce him to her best friend. This was probably the 5th guy Taeyeon had introduced to Tiffany in the last 3 years and not wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, Tiffany always went along with it. All the guys seemed nice enough, but they all ended up being more friend material than potential mate. Siwon was in the same boat. He was definitely the best looking one that Tiffany's met, but he always seemed so nervous around her and apologized a lot. She soon learned that she wanted a guy who was confident and was able to take charge when needed.  So she promised herself that the next guy she'd consider dating would have to initiate most everything. 

 

"You know I just want to help. It's the least I could do as your best friend. I mean, you introduced me to the love of my life. I just want to do the same for you," Taeyeon said. 

 

And it was true. Tiffany did  introduce Taeyeon to the love of her life. A one Jiyong Kwon. He was a photographer at Tiffany's company and when they first met, they hit it off and became really good friends.  They would goof around at work and would often grab drinks after work. The more she got to know Jiyong and hung out with him, the more she saw the similarities between him and Taeyeon. They were both cute yet feisty. They were independent, knew when to take charge, but were always polite. They seemed to have the same sense of humor and mannerisms too. And they both definitely knew how to dress. Tiffany wondered if they'd make a good match since they were so alike. So one day, Tiffany decided to go shopping and invited them both to come along.  Things started off well and Tiffany had to give herself a pat on the back for introducing her best friend to her new boyfriend. Sadly, that's not how it worked out. By the end of the day, things were not great. Taeyeon and Jiyong were so much alike that they actually butted heads, much to Tiffany's dismay. It all started with Tiffany asking her friends which Fall fashion line they were looking forward to. The question seemed innocent enough, but who knew they would have a huge conflict of interest? 

 

Alexander McQueen, Tiffany remembered one saying. No way! Prada all the way, the other retorted, followed by extensive reasoning as to why they answered the way they did. It only went downhill from there.  The two argued over which stores they should all go to and where to have lunch. It went as far as to argue over which Pokemon was the best. To this day, Tiffany has no idea how fictional Japanese animals came up into an adult conversation. The days following were no better. Since they were both friends with Tiffany, the two would be invited to the same parties and get togethers. And the same thing always happened - they would argue...over the stupidest things. Tiffany would try to intervene, but it always seemed like she wasn't even there. It got to the point that Tiffany just gave up and just let the dueling dragons duel.  

 

It probably wasn't until a couple months later at a party  Tiffany was hosting that the two finally kissed and made up...literally. During a particularly heated argument over "boxers or briefs", Taeyeon and Jiyong were drinking at the same time and before they knew it, they were drunk off their asses. Taeyeon was even more of a motor mouth when drunk, so to shut her up, Jiyong grabbed her around the waist and pulled her into a kiss. After all the arguing they did over the last few months, Tiffany could have sworn Taeyeon would have punched the guy. Instead, she giggled while wrapping her arms around his neck and happily kissed him back. The next day, as drunk as they were the night before, the pair surprisingly remembered everything that happened and officially got together. As weird as it was, the two really did make a perfect pair. They still argued, not nearly as often as before, but they always worked things out. They ended up dating for 2 years before getting married and now the two lovebirds were soon celebrating their 2 year wedding anniversary. 

 

"I totally understand, Taeng, but if there's a guy out there for me, he'll come. Just let nature take it's course," Tiffany decided. Taeyeon smiled lightly knowing Tiffany was right, but it still wouldn't stop her from introducing her to any other good looking, successful guys she'll meet. 

 

The two friends continued chatting about anything and everything for another hour before Taeyeon got a call. She checked the caller ID and smiled happily. 

 

"Hey, sweetie!" she greeted when she took the call. "Yeah, I'm still here with Fany. Are you already outside? Ok. I'll be out soon. See you in a bit." 

 

"Oppa is picking you up?" Tiffany asked when Taeyeon put her phone away. 

 

"Yeah. He offered to take me to work today and pick me up after our coffee date. Isn't he sweet?" Taeyeon beamed. 

 

"Oppa's always sweet," Tiffany replied, scoffing playfully at how love struck her bestie was even after all this time. 

 

"That is very true, but yes, my yobo is picking me up and he should be arriving any second actually," the shorter of the two announced as she stood up and grabbed all her belongings. "So I should go." 

 

"I'll walk you out," Tiffany offered as she stood up as well. 

 

They made sure they grabbed everything and discarded their empty cups in the trash before walking out the door. A few seconds later, Jiyong pulled up in his white Bentley Continental. Taeyeon waved at her husband before turning back to Tiffany.  

 

"Thanks for another lovely coffee date." 

 

"Any time, babe," Tiffany replied as they hugged. When she pulled away, Taeyeon walked over and got into her husband's car. Tiffany watched as she did so and waved at Jiyong, who in turn rolled down the window.  

 

"Did you park nearby?" he asked as he leaned over his wife. Tiffany came over to the car, so she could answer. 

 

"No. I actually walked here from work," she answered. 

 

"What? You didn't tell me that," Taeyeon was surprised. 

 

"Slipped my mind I guess." 

 

"Get in. I'll take you to your car," Jiyong instructed. 

 

"Is that okay?" she questioned. 

 

"Like you even have to ask," Taeyeon rolled her eyes playfully as she opened the door and got out so that Tiffany could get into the back seat. 

 

"Thanks!" Tiffany was relieved she didn't have to walk back to where she left her car. 

 

"I needed to ask you something anyways," Jiyong brought up as he carefully got back into the flow of traffic. 

 

"What's up?" Tiffany wondered. 

 

"A really good hyung of mine is flying in tomorrow from New York and I was taking him out to dinner with Taeyeon. Did you want to come?" Jiyong explained while glancing at Tiffany through the rearview mirror. He noticed her tilt her head to the side and make a slight face.  

 

"I'm not trying to set you up or anything," he was quick to clarify. "It's his first time meeting Taeng and I just didn't want him feeling like a third wheel and I don't want Taeng feeling like a third wheel once me and hyung start catching up. Plus, I haven't had dinner with you in awhile and I miss you." 

 

Jiyong really knew how to up, but Tiffany knew he meant it. 

 

"I miss you too, oppa, and I'd love to have dinner with you guys," Tiffany responded. 

 

"Thank you, my beautiful dongsaeng," Jiyong smiled at her through the rearview mirror. Tiffany smiled with her eye smiles right back at him. 

 

The ride didn't take long and after pulling up behind Tiffany's car, Jiyong was the one to get out of his seat to let her out. 

 

"I'm not too sure of all the details yet, but I'll call you tomorrow alright?" he told her as she climbed out. 

 

"Sure thing, oppa." Jiyong then leaned down and hugged her. 

 

"See you tomorrow," he said as he got back into his car. 

 

"Yeah," Tiffany waved at her two best friends and then walked the short distance to her car. She noticed that her oppa waited until she was safely in her car before driving off. She appreciated that. 

 

That night, Tiffany laid in bed. She felt completely refreshed after eating a delicious dinner she picked up from her favorite restaurant and soaking in her tub for an hour. She promised herself to not think about the day she had, so instead, she thought about tomorrow. She first thought about what she'd wear to work and what she'd have for lunch, which then led to her thinking about the dinner plans with her best friends and Jiyong's hyung.

 

"I wonder who it is," Tiffany thought out loud.

 

Jiyong's never talked about any other hyungs besides Teddy and Danny and she's already met the both of them.

 

"As long as this new hyung is as cool as Jiyong, then I'm all good," was Tiffany's last thought before slipping off to dreamland.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

A/N: Well, there you have it. A little something I wrote. I hope you liked the premise I was trying to go for.

Like I said in the forward, maybe I'll try to add on in the future. Maybe.

THANKS FOR READING!! ^^