Blame it on a Bitter Winter

Blame It on the Turtles

A/N - Hey!  For some readers, this might be part TWO of a double update!!! :)   If you haven't already - head back to chapter 9 <-

Yeah, I was so very bass-ackwards and wrote most of chapter 10 first, so you might be getting a two-for-one deal in the update department.  Please enjoy my total out-of-orderliness! ><

Oh, and Happy KyuSung Day!  Author soon to get in big trouble...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Glancing out his window Sungmin saw a tall man trepidly walking over the lake's icy bridge.  He could tell that the man was truly out of this element.  The long wool coat and Burberry scarf wrapped around him screamed business meeting not winter shuffle through the park.  Normally he would scoff at those types and return to his work.  But the way he carried himself - how the wind almost could have blown through him, and the concerned look on his face made Sungmin watch further.  Those round brown eyes could sparkle with happiness but all I see is ache and longing.  Sungmin blinked several times trying to clear the random thought from his head and went back to looking outside.  The lanky man on the bridge pursed his full lips as a strong gust of wind blew his auburn hair into his eyes.  What can I do to make the sadness I see in you go away?  There was an unfamiliar welling feeling in his chest as Sungmin stood and grabbed his coat.

 

As he was heading out the door, Sungmin heard Leeteuk call after him, "Woah, you looked like you were in a hurry.  Glad I caught you.  Du Namu Institute is on the phone about the grant you applied for."  Ugh, why now?  Sungmin trudged back to the phone hoping at least for some good news about help with the park's funding.  Instead, he heard more of the same as he had heard from others 'These are tough times everywhere', 'We would like to give everyone grants who applies, but we can't', 'Yours is a small situation - we're looking at the big picture', etc., etc.  He held his patience, quickly thanked them (anyway), and tried to hurry out the door again.

 

The winter cold slapped Sungmin in the face as he looked around for the taller man with the porcelain skin who was there just a few minutes before.  "Damn, I missed him", he muttered out loud.  But why did it matter so much that I would run outside after him?  He always had a helpful nature, which led him to being a ranger in the first place.  That's it, I just wanted to help.  Though it was something more than being helpful that brought him out there in the freezing weather.  'Love will find us when we least expect it'  Leeteuk's words from months before resonated in his mind.  Sungmin shook his head as he turned to go back in the station.  Ugh, I feel so confused.

 

"Anything interesting out there?", Leeteuk asked as his assistant ranger came back in.

 

"Hmm, not anymore."  Surprised by his own answer, Sungmin changed the subject.  "Say hyung, what has the Board of Trustees decided to do if we can't find the funding?"  He was thinking reduced hours, maybe even job loss.

 

"If funding doesn't come through, they have decided to put the front parcels of land up for sale."

 

"What?  When?  Have they considered the environmental impact to the rest of the preserve if any construction happens over there?"

 

"Unfortunately, they seem to be looking at the bottom line and dollar signs.  It could be happening this summer, maybe even as soon as spring.  We tried our best.  Looks like at this point we'll just have to wait and see what happens."

 

Sungmin sighed, "Speaking of spring - I wish it would hurry up and get here, for Donghae's sake.  This is the worst winter that I can remember.  Do you think he's okay?"

 

"He's survived twenty-some winters without us.  Remember you are thinking too much from a human's point-of-view.  He's better equipt at handling the cold winter more than you think." 

 

Sungmin, the resident pessimist, started again, "Our lake isn't as deep as Parang Lake so the temperature might get colder than he's used to.  Damn, if we had sufficient funding we could have bought monitors and temperature sensors..."

 

"Then what?  Either he's hibernating... or he's not.  Maybe I've been fighting nature too much lately, especially when in comes to Donghae.  We just have to wait until spring, but I think he's going to be fine."  Leeteuk understood what Sungmin was getting at - with the merman's first winter at the nature preserve there was concern.  He'd come to realise, unlike any other situation they had been in as rangers, emotions played a big part in dealing with Donghae.

 

"Yeah, well then, both of us are going to be counting down the days until spring, aren't we?"

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The freezing wind stung Kyuhyun's face as he slowly made his way across the frozen bridge.  While getting ready for work that morning he noticed Yesung silently slipping out of the apartment.  The elder had become quiet over the past several days and increasingly looked depressed.  Kyu followed him, a minute or so behind and wasn't surprised that the destination was the nature preserve.  Totally unprepared for crossing the slippery structure, he gripped the rails of the bridge and blinked as a gust of wind blew his wavy hair into his eyes.  He knew his hyung needed him, so he carefully made his way forth until he finally caught up to Yesung.

 

He didn't question why Kyu was there.  Instead he was rather fixated with the particular spot they were standing.  "We confessed to each other right here, three months ago, Donghae and I.  He seemed so worried that I would forget him."  Yesung gripped the turtle that Donghae had carved for him.  He moved his thumb nervously back and forth over it's detailed shell.  "Three months and he couldn't get word to me... somehow?" 

 

Kyu looked up and saw red windburn streaks from the tears on Yesung's face.  "Hyung, come on, we have to get you home."  He took his free hand and led him with determination away from the memories that were wearing on both their hearts.

 

The raven-haired man sat shivering on the couch.  Kyu had made him part with his coat, covered him with several blankets, and then walked to the kitchen.  He heard water running, pots clanging, and other usual kitchen noises.  But this was Kyu remember, he waited for dishes breaking or a burning smell.  Instead, a few minutes later, the younger emerged with two cups of coffee.

 

Yesung took the cup offered to him, eyeing it warily.  "I thought you always said you only knew how to make coffee for yourself."  He carefully took a sip, impressed that the coffee was neither weak nor horribly strong.

 

Kyu smiled slightly and shrugged his shoulders as he settled next to Yesung on the couch.  "I'd do anything for you hyung - within reason."

 

The duo finished their coffee in silence.  Soon the quiet became too much and Yesung began to mull things over.  "What if saying he loved me was his way of saying goodbye?  What if he doesn't come back?"

 

Kyu in his breath, upset at hearing his hyung so distraught.  He took both of their coffee cups and set them over on the table.  Then he put his arms around Yesung, pulling him closer.  "Hyung, if he doesn't come back, I'm here.  I'll take care of you."

 

The elder sighed and shook his head, "Don't say such things just to make me feel better."  His shoulders were slumped - obviously he was not taking Kyu's words seriously.

 

His feelings though were not going to get brushed away so easily.  "Hyung, look at me."  Long slender fingers lifted up Yesung's chin.  Kyuhyun made sure that their eyes met and he spoke again,  "Do you remember how you took my hand the first day I was in choir?  Late at night, if I imagine hard enough, I can almost feel you holding my hand the same way again..." 

I slowly walked into the huge choir room, younger than everyone and feeling very out-of-place.  Then I heard a voice from the other side of the room 'I know that look!'  Your eyes locked on mine, just like now, and you bounded across the room.  'You look lost.  I get that way often, so I should know.    I'm Kim Jongwoon.  Welcome to our choir!  You're supposed to be here, right?  Well, you're here now and I shall take care of you...'

"You took both of your hands in mine and continued talking on for several more minutes before finally asking my name.  By then it was too late, I was in deep.  I don't know if you ever knew that, just always taking care of me like the good hyung that you are, but I started having feelings for you that day."

 

Yesung tilted his head to the side and blinked a few times, trying to process everything, "Kyu-ah...?"

 

"Shhhh, don't say anything right now."  He lightly touched his finger to the other's soft, thin lips.  "Hyung, just for tonight, even if you don't feel the same, let me hold you.  I want to take all your pain and doubt away."

 

Kyuhyun didn't know what reaction to expect from Yesung, truthfully he hardly ever did.  The elder moved away from Kyu's embrace and narrowed his eyes - he must have been going over so many things, foremost being Kyu's sudden (to him) confession and Donghae's long disappearance.  It wouldn't have shocked Kyu in the slightest if he got yelled at for causing more confusion -  knowing all the times to admit his feelings, now was not the most convenient.  So what happened next surprised the maknae greatly.  Yesung nodded an affirmation, perhaps more to himself than to Kyu.  Then he wrapped his arms around the other and motioned for him to lie down while comfortably placing his head on the taller one's shoulder.

 

He laid there for a moment, beaming inside, inhaling the coffee/herbal scent of Yesung's hair.  All the while he made small circles on his elder's back until he could hear slower, calmer breathing.  When he was sure that Yesung was almost asleep, Kyuhyun ran his fingers through the other's shiny, raven hair, and kissed him softly just above the eyebrow, "Love you hyung", he whispered.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

A/N - Weren't expecting that, were you?!? 

Well, it IS Kyusung Day ><

Aw, hope no one's mad!  I haven't forgotten about Hae, or YeHae, or HaeSung for that matter!

Hey KyuMin shippers... Min did see Kyu for the first time!!! <3  They will (finally) be meeting up in a couple chapters from now :)

Here's the titles for the next three chapters:

11.  Blame it on Spring Awakenings

12.  Blame it on Thunderstorms (Hmm, perhaps this one will have an M next to it) ^^

13.  Blame it on Betrayals

Any predictions? requests? questions? clarifications? comments? cookies? ;)

I really want to thank you all for reading!!!

Suk San Wan Songkran!  (Happy Thai New Year!)

It's true, it's true - comments are a great motivator =)