The 10 Years Deal

The 10 Years Deal

              10 years ago:

    Seohyun could only stand by the side as she watched boys and girls crowd around Kyuhyun. She pushed her rounded glasses up lightly, as her smile slowly faded. She knew she could never compete with the never-ending bunch of girls around Cho Kyuhyun.

    Cho Kyuhyun. The guy who Seohuyn likes, not for his looks, but for his personality. To Seohyun, Cho Kyuhyun was a kind, understanding, friendly, sweet, polite guy. If you ask her to describe Kyuhyun, she can't do it. Why? She'd end up saying every word which describes a good personality. But, Kyuhyun wasn't really what she though he was.

    Yes, they were only 10 years old, but Kyuhyun was already a boy who attracted lots of girls. He liked that, and he liked being a playboy. Fooling around with this girl today, and then flirting with that girl tomorrow. It was fun, to him at least.

    Seohyun walked up to Kyuhyun once the crowd went away, taking small, little, steps towards Kyuhyun as she held her tiny hand out, placing the gift on her palm and smiled up at Kyuhyun.

    "Oppa, happy birthday."

    "Thank you, Seohyun."

    To Kyuhyun, Seohyun had only been a friend who he could talk to nothing more. Really, he wouldn't even look at a girl like Seohyun. Always in her nerdy glasses, mushroom-headed hair, she was just another friend who he grew up with. He wouldn't even want to think of Seohyun as a girl to fool around with. Nah, she just doesn't fit the requirements.


    Seohyun sighed to herself as she jumped on her bed, a bed far too big for anyone her age, but oh well, she's rich, what do you expect? Seohyun took her phone and punched in the numbers, dialling Sooyoung, her best friend who'll stand by her no matter what even if she's an ugly duckling.

    "Hello?" Sooyoung picked up right after two rings. "Seohyun-ah?"

    "Unnie." Seohyun greeted. "I went to Kyuhyun oppa's party today."

    "Was it fun then?"

    "The usual.." Seohyun trailed off.

    "Is there something wrong, Seohyun-ah?"

    "Unnie, you know me the best." Seohyun chuckled softly. "I feel.. so inferior compared to all the girls around Kyuhyun. I mean – they are like.. gorgeous, unnie!" Seohyun let out an exasperated sigh. "I'm tired of having to compete with all the girls around him.. I want to do something about my looks, unnie."

    The other line was quiet for a while.

    "Seohyun, you know you're forever the best in unnie's heart." Sooyoung started off by encouraging Seohyun first. "But.. If you really want to get Kyuhyun.. Go overseas, Seohyun."

    "Bwoh?"

    "Yes, Seohyun. Go overseas and take up lessons on beauty I'm sure your appa will allow you to do that. Then come back 10 years later as a different person. Amaze Kyuhyun."

    ".. Thank you for the suggestion, unnie. You're awesome."


              10 years later:

    "Kyuhyun oppa." Seohyun said as she smiled and walked towards the guy who she loved. Kyuhyun blinked at Seohyun.

    "I don't.. regconize you, how do you know my name?" Kyuhyun said, his face full of confusion. "Oh wait! Those eyes.. Seohyun?"

    Seohyun giggled and nodded. She knew that Kyuhyun wouldn't be able to regconize her after the 10 years she spent overseas making herself far more beautiful than she ever would be. Now, it's like the ugly duckling has turned.. into a swan.

   "Seohyun!" Kyuhyun shouted in surprise. "You've changed so much."

   "Haha, oppa. I did it for you."

   "Huh?" Kyuhyun was bewildered.

   "Never mind if you don't get it. Oppa, bring me out today, please?"

   "Hm, alright then. Let's go to dongdaemun!"


   "Oppa!" Seohyun said as she tugged on Kyuhyun's shirt lightly and pointed to a fountain nearby. "Let's go make a wish."

   "You believe in that?" Kyuhyun said as he lightly laughed.

   "Of course!" Seohyun dragged Kyuhyun over to the fountain as she placed her palms together, motioning for Kyuhyun to do the same.

   "Arasseo." Kyuhyun said as he imitated Seohyun.

   "I really have nothing to wish for.." Kyuhyun thought. "Oh well, I wish that someone will actually love me not for my looks and not for my wealth."

   Yes, the playboy Cho Kyuhyun actually wished for that. It was actually his deepest thought, and his deepest wish. One which no one else would know. One which he would never tell any other person. It definitely sounds weird, doesn't it? So contradictory to his character. Fact is, he doesn't know the meaning of true love. And he wants to feel it.

   "I wish Kyuhyun oppa would accept my confession after this." Seohyun muttered the words.

   "Yah, Seororo! I can hear your wish.. Just a little. You wished about confessing to someone, didn't you?" Kyuhyun slapped his forehead dramatically. "You're not supposed to let others hear your wish."

   "Stop calling me Seororo~" Seohyun whined as she hit Kyuhyun's shoulder lightly and laughed. "You didn't hear who I wanted to confess to, right? If you heard, Seororo shall kill you!"

   Kyuhyun shook his head. "Nope."

   "Oppa!" Seohyun said as she gazed into Kyuhyun's eyes.

   "Neh?" Kyuhyun asked, gazing back into Seohyun's eyes.

   "Well.. To be honest, I wished for you.. To accept my confession." Seohyun said as she waited a few seconds for Kyuhyun's reply. No response. She took that as a sign to continue. "I've loved you since we were kids. The reason why I went overseas for 'studies' is because of you, oppa. I went overseas and made myself beautiful. No plastic surgery included, Oppa." Seohyun joked lightly.

   "It was a 10 year deal between Sooyoung and I. She gave me the idea, and I carried it out." Seohyun continued. "I love you not because you're handsome, Kyu Oppa. Not because you're filthy rich, Oppa. I have plenty of money too." She shrugged. "You know the difference between 'like' and 'love', Oppa?"

   "Like is when you can definitely give a reason for liking that person. Love.. is when you don't even know why you like that person." Seohyun let out a sigh. "And I love you, Oppa."

   Kyuhyun simply laughed it off and shrugged.

   "Well, it looks like my wish came true." Kyuhyun said. "You're my girlfriend now, Seohyun."

   The couple linked arms as they walked away from the fountain, where both of their wishes came true.