My Wolf

My Wolf

I was eight and it was cold that night. The storm outside made the branches of our cherry tree slam against my window loudly, the scary shadows like deformed fingers against my bedroom wall. The noises outside kept me successfully from my much needed sleep and I’m sure even if I would’ve slipped into dreamland, there would have been nightmares waiting for me.

I was lying in my bed, the thick blanket pulled up to my nose for protection against evil forest ghosts that wanted to crawl into my room.

Of course one would say it was only the vivid imagination of a child, but I know it was real. I had always felt it. I still feel it today. The blank fear in my bones as I dared to sit up and look out of the window, longing for a confirmation that there was nothing hiding in the woods. I still regret doing it, because when my gaze fell upon the edge of our garden to where it connected to the forest, I was met with a pair of yellow glowing eyes, staring right back at me.

I had only been a child, protected by the thick walls of my safe home but my heart knew. Knew that I wouldn’t be able to escape those predatory eyes that had claimed me only with one stare.

And even though my body had been trembling in fear, I slipped out of bed to walk the short distance over the wooden floor, my bare feet making no sound as I waddled over to the window, pulling myself up a bit on the sill to take a closer look.

I had been prepared to look into those scary eyes again but as I gazed outside, the spot was empty. No frightening creature staring up into my room and claiming every cell in my body.
I can’t explain today why my heart sank in sadness as I saw the place deserted, but it was painful and I still know that there had been tears on my cheeks as I felt the loss of the mysterious creature.

I hadn’t been able to sleep that night, those eyes haunting me and they never stopped plaguing me for the next ten years. Yellow eyes, grayish-blond fur against the thick blackness of the forest and white, sharp fangs bared in a silent growl.

A wolf.

 

I am currently eighteen and it is summer in my hometown. The forest is green and the trees are swaying gently in the warm wind; everything is calm and quiet from the heat. Even the birds are too tired to chirp.

I’m standing on the small patio in front of our house and let the sun shine onto my face as I stare into the woods, now only half as scary as ten years ago during autumn. I am older now, with more knowledge and advanced awareness of my surroundings and I know that nothing can hurt me here behind the fence.

But I am still scared.

Because I also know that it is still waiting for me, it is still alive and conscious that I am still here as well. The grey wolf that had claimed my soul. It was in the woods and it would strike when given the perfect opportunity.

I shake my head to get rid of the nagging fear deep down in my gut and straighten up a bit. My mind screams no but my body urges me towards the edge of the forest, my feet carrying me on their own accord and before I know what’s happening, I am standing right in front of the narrow fence.

I steady myself to swing one leg over the wooden post and suddenly my heart feels a bit lighter as my feet hit the soft, mossy ground of the forest.

And suddenly I am not afraid anymore, because all this time it never meant to hurt me by making me his. It had always wanted to protect me.

A light smile plays around my lips as I step further between the high trees, my mind soaking up the calming sounds of the forest, the cracking of branches under my shoes.

I look around and feel at ease, as if I would’ve never belonged to anywhere else. This felt so much like home.

And as I turn my head back to look straight ahead, there is a boy staring right back at me from a few feet away.

His hair is a dirty blond, almost grayish and his built is a bit lanky but with athletic muscles. With a height definitely taller than mine he walks towards me, the skin of his bare upper body displaying a fascinating complexion. Fair but tanned; almost golden from the warm sun.

As I lower my gaze I am relieved to spot some washed-out jeans, hanging low on his hips or else I probably would’ve died out of embarrassment.

A low chuckle makes my eyes snap back up to his face and suddenly I recognize him again. Those glowing, intense eyes that I longed to see for so many years, were finally back to look at me.

My wolf.

 

He now found me again, just as I found him at the same moment. I smile and take his hand when he holds it up, offering it to me. I step closer and he pulls me against his strong chest. He is so warm and I have never felt that safe.

My eight year old self hadn’t known what love truly was. The feeling had left me confused and scared for all those years. Until now I had been afraid of love because I simply didn’t know what it was, but now in his arms I know and I am not scared any longer.

In fact I want more. I want my wolf to love me and I can finally feel it from up close that he really does. His voice is deep and soft as he speaks and my heart warms up at the sound.

 

‘’My name is Sehun and you are now finally mine, Minseok.’’