Coming Home

Aphrodite

I stepped off of the bus, stretching out my sore limbs, the cool night air sending chills down my spine. One thing that I definitely hadn't missed about home was the long flying hours that were spent squished in between strangers. But admittedly, breathing in the clean air of Korea, I felt whole; something that I hadn’t felt ever since that time one year ago… I shook the thought out of my head, refusing to give in to depressing memories, memories which should bring a smile to my face instead of an ache in my heart. Looking up at the night sky, I see stars twinkling and the flood of memories just comes back, with a greater force this time, and I can’t stop the dull twinge that pulled on my chest. I started to walk around aimlessly, not really wanting to see my parents - if you could really call them that after they kicked me out one year ago – and with nothing else to think about, my thoughts head straight to the memories that I dread to recall.

 

-

 

No-one will ever understand the anger I felt when the person who I loved – and trusted – said that our love was a mistake, that the passion we felt just moments before was a spur of the moment act. No-one will ever understand the sacrifice I was willing to make – no, it wouldn’t have been a sacrifice, but something that I didn’t need or want – rejecting that offer from the dance school to be with the only one that mattered; You, Luhan. But when I asked you if that was really what you wanted, me leaving, you didn’t even look me in the eye. You just nodded, giving up on me. You weren’t prepared to fight for me. Although it might not have been the best thing to do, I followed your wishes. I left. I left without a goodbye, walking away with tears in my eyes. Not that you ever saw. You couldn’t care less, could you? I was just some little puppy in your eyes, someone that would follow you to the ends of the earth.

 

For the first few months, those thoughts consumed my mind, the anger driving away all rational thought. But afterwards, the emotions of my heart negated the anger of my brain, filling me with anguish and depression instead. I wondered what I had done wrong to deserve being abandoned by both my parents, by you. Why did everyone give up on me? I remember looking at the people around me, seeing everyone paired off in couples, smiling as if they were all in their own universes, where there were no heartbreaks, no tears and no sadness. Initially, I had felt jealous, my depression spiralling out of control as I asked myself why I couldn’t experience the love that they do. Was it because I fell in love with a boy?

 

However, seeing all the love in the world made me realize how blinded I was by ugly emotions. I thought back to the time we spent in the meadow, our touches, our whispers, our loving. I thought about the expression on your face when I called you by your name for the first time, when I slipped that beautiful ring on your finger and kissed it, when we made a promise under the watchful eye of Venus, the fireworks celebrating our love. And then, I remembered your face when you told me to go. Consumed by anger, I failed to realize that you didn’t look happy either, that you looked just as sad as I felt. Your glistening eyes, your lowered head, your trembling voice. I should have seen it earlier… But now it’s too late anyway, it’s been exactly a year since that day. I’m sure you’ve moved on by now…

 

-

 

Out of nowhere, a flash of colour, accompanied by a high-pitched hum, pulled me out of my reverie. I look up to see the colourful burst of fireworks, illuminating the pitch black sky. With a gasp, I finally noticed where my feet were taking me… I was back at the meadow, the familiar clearing exactly as it was last year. The gently swaying branches, the dewy grass, the calming atmosphere were all still the same. Another round of firework shot up into the sky and, to my surprise, I see your sleeping figure on the floor, oblivious to my presence. Instinctively, my feet walked forwards, bringing me closer to the sleeping Luhan, curled up against a small log. His face was scrunched up, as if he was having a nightmare; I frowned despite myself, the emotions that I thought had lain to rest resurfacing. Crouching beside him, I gently brushed away his blonde fringe, revealing more of his face. His features haven’t changed at all in the past year, the softness of his skin, button nose and cute lips. Before I could stop myself, I found myself inching forwards, getting closer and closer, placing a light kiss on his forehead.

 

Suddenly, I detect a slight shuffling from Luhan, and I move back abruptly when I see his eyelids fluttering, signalling his awakening. As soon as he saw me, his eyes widen, his mouth in an ‘o’ shape. Before I could react, I find myself in his tight embrace, sighing at the warmth. But as quickly as it happened, the warmth disappeared once more, leaving behind the cool embrace of the air. Luhan had jumped back, dropping his arms to his sides.

“What are you doing here?” he asked, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

 

Well, I guess this is going to be an interesting one year anniversary and reunion…

 

~

I'm sorry that this is such a short chapter, but I felt bad for not udating in ages ><

So here's the first part, and the second (and much longer xD) part will be up sometime in the next two weeks?

Please leave your thoughts and comments below ^-^ They are greatly appreaciated <3