Crying Within

E.L.F.

She slowly stepped backward and silently shut the door. She tried regaining her breath and her strength as she started walking away from the room. She felt weak as her legs started to shake. She wanted to cry, but she cannot let anyone see her this way. She has to pretend she didn't see anything --- for now. She paused for a while, took a deep breath and composed herself.

 

 

 

"Oh! Did you see him already?" Siwon asked upon seeing her.

 

"Uhm...I suddenly received a call from the office." She handed the shirt back to the assistant who was still with Siwon, "I have to go now...but don't tell Oppa I was here. I'll surprise him later at home."

 

"OK." Siwon answered without asking any more questions, "take care on your way."

 

She sat for a while inside her car. She kept on wiping her eyes that are now blurry because of her tears. She put the key into the ignition and pressed the accelerator, "I have to leave this place." She drove in circles for she cannot decide where she is supposed to go. If she return to work, Minrin would see her and might ask why she's back. If she goes to her parents, they'd definitely find out that something is wrong; they know her more than any other being in the world. She finally decided to just go home and wait for Donghae to arrive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm sorry..." Donghae told Sooyeon after their lips part.

 

"Why?"

 

"I'm sorry...for leaving you...", he looked deep into her eyes.

 

"It's okay. At least we're together again." She helld his face close to hers, "we are, aren't we?"

 

Donghae gently nodded, "but you have to leave for now. Someone might see you here and tell Sungmae."

 

Sooyeon planted a kiss on his lips before she walked out, "call me."

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sungmae went straight to the dining area. She took the cake out from its box and started scraping the top off. Her teardrops fell as she changed the message that was written on the cake before.

 

To my love? I love you? Is it still worth saying these things?

 

 

 

 

 

She went inside their bedroom. She gazed upon the painting hovering above as she cried unstoppably. She sat across the floor as she dug her face at the edge of the bed. She felt betrayed -- after all, Donghae have told her that he is in love with her, and he had wished for them to be together forever. And those countless times when he owned her lips --- aren't those enough proof that she has already captured his heart?

 

"How could you do this, Oppa?" She pitied herself as she remembered what she did for him that day. She was longing for this day to come, for her to finally see what kind of reaction Donghae's going to show as he finds out about her surprise, "how could you?" She wept desperately. Her heart ached terribly that she felt like she's going to pass out.

 

 

 

 

Donghae stepped out of his car as he the tiny strands of his hair. On his way home, he kept on thinking whether he should be coming home to Sungmae or go to Sooyeon's place. He decided to go home instead. He doesn't want Sungmae to suspect that he's flirting back with Sooyeon.

 

 

The house is already lit. Sungmae's home early.

 

 

 

As he walked towards the couch, he caught sight of a cake on top of the dining table. He went close to it.

 

 

"Ah!" He exclaimed as he looked into it. It says, "Happy Birthday."

 

 

 

Oh yeah. It is his birthday today. He almost forgot.

 

 

 

 

"Sungmae?", he called out. "Where are you?"

 

 

 

He entered their bedroom. He saw Sungmae sleeping on the floor. He went near her and carried her in his arms. He slowly put her down on the bed and covered her up. Sungmae looked tired; as if she's been through something that day. He was about to caress Sungmae's face when he remembered what he did. He forcefully took his hand back and rubbed his nape instead. As he stared long at her, the image of Sooyeon kissing him keeps on popping inside his head.

 

 

 

What is this sudden feeling of guilt? Was it because of what he and Sooyeon did earlier that same day?

 

 

 

He sat at the edge of the bed beside Sungmae. He clasped his hands together as he let out a couple of sighs.

 

 

 

Why do I have to be guilty? Sungmae doesn't know. What she doesn't know cannot hurt her. I'll just act like nothing happened. I should just be careful the next time I'm with Sooyeon.

 

 

 

As these thoughts linger in his head, another being inside the bedroom felt his presence.

 

 

 

"Uhm..." Sungmae groaned, "Oppa?" She squinted her eyes to see a clearer vision of the man sitting beside her.

 

"Ohh --- did I wake you?", as Donghae slowly twisted his body to face her.

 

Sungmae gently lifted her body as she yawned, "no, no." She stretched her arms forward, "Happy birthday."

 

"Thanks." Donghae moved closer to give her a kiss.

 

 

 

Sungmae remembered what she saw that day and quickly faced the other way to dodge Donghae's lips, "you're welcome."

 

 

 

Donghae was surprised to what Sungmae did, "what's the matter?", as he was wondering why Sungmae did that. If he didn't know any better, it's as if Sungmae knew about his and Sooyeon's affair that afternoon.

 

 

 

No. That's impossible. Siwon would have told him that Sungmae was there, in case he saw her. But what if he did not?

 

 

No. There's got to be another reason.

 

 

 

 

"Uhm..I have a cold." She pretended to have her nose stuffed. "AH-CHOO!", as she faked a sneeze, "see?" She stood up and went inside the bathroom and locked herself up. She turned the faucet open to avoid Donghae from hearing her for she started crying again. She would love to accept that kiss from him, if not for that memory of hers that it was just exchanging kisses from his ex-girlfriend earlier.

 

 

 

Would it better if she hadn't seen that? Probably.

 

Then she doesn't have to be hurt like this now.

 

 

Should I tell him what I saw? Should I confront him?

 

No. I'll pretend nothing's wrong. Donghae might probably realize sooner or later that he's doing something wrong.

 

 

 

Donghae stand before the door and started knocking, "are you okay?"

 

"Yeah..yeah..." Sungmae answered from the inside who's desperately covering up the sounds of her sobs.

 

 

 

"Ok. I'll be eating my cake now."

 

"Go ahead." Sungmae replied.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Do I look cute in this?" Eunhyuk grinned while wearing a bunny hat.

 

 

 

The girl nodded happily, "so cute and so handsome!", Maeri squealed.

 

"Really?" The excited monkey grinned again, "you're the best!", while he reached for a pink hooded jacket with bunny ears, "here! Try this on!"

 

Eunhyuk helped his date put on the jacket over her red shirt, "waaii~ you look cute as well!" He arranged the hood properly so to make the bunny ears stand, "here. Let's take a picture!" He took his phone out and captured their image.

 

"Ahh~" as the monkey guy zoomed into it, "eh?"

 

"Hmm? What's the matter?", the girl asked.

 

 

 

Eunhyuk panned right into the image. This guy's familiar. He looks like someone really close to him.

 

 

No. He's not just familiar. He knows this guy.

 

 

 

 

Donghae. And he's with his ex-girlfriend.

 

 

 

"Oppa?" Maeri spoke to catch Eunhyuk's attention, "are you okay?"

 

Eunhyuk seemed to have woken up, "huh?", as he turn his attention to his date.

 

"Your mind seemed to be flying off to somewhere, what's going on?"

 

 

He looked around the area until he's caught sight of Donghae. They don't seem to notice that they're being watched, because they were busy trying on some clothes too.

 

 

"No, no. Nothing's wrong. Let's go.", he invited the girl.

 

 

 

 

 

"Oppa, we can't stay this way forever.", Sooyeon told Donghae one day they meet up at her place.

 

Donghae exhaled. He's thinking of telling her about the contract.

 

"We can't always hide like this." Sooyeon pouted, "I know I don't have the right..but you love me more than your wife, right?"

 

"Five years.." Donghae suddenly spoke.

 

"Hmm?"

 

Donghae told her about the contract that was supposed to be a secret among him, Sungmae and their families, "wait for five years and I'm all yours again."