A Twisted Tuesday

The Replacement Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

Monday Evening

"Kyungsoo!"

Kyungsoo ran out of the case and to Kai who was in the bathroom, standing up as straight as possible in the doorway. He had read somewhere that rich people appreciated good posture.

"Yes?" he asked. Kai waved his hand in a circular motion as if to tell Kyungsoo to keep talking. "Yes, master Jongin?"

Kai smiled at himself in the mirror, then snickered at how he was forcing Kyungsoo to speak with such formality. He turned to his little doll slave and motioned for him to step into the bathroom. Kyungsoo immediately did as he was told, not ready to go to jail or get Joonmyun fired. Kai looked at himself in the mirror again while speaking.

"Go get me a fresh towel. Be careful though, don't let anyone see you."

"Wait just a moment!" Kyungsoo cried. "You want me to leave the room to get you a towel?? Why can't you get Joonmyun to do it?!"

Kai ce again to look at Kyungsoo, eyes ablaze with a fire that only appeared when he was irritated. "You will do as I have told you, D.O, or else I'll pick up my phone and call the cops. Your choice, doll face."

"This is turning out to be similar to blackmail," Kyungsoo muttered as he exited the bathroom and crept to the bedroom door.

"Consider this a favor!" Kai called after him. "It's like a second chance, you fool!"

Kyungsoo considered this and soon realized that Kai was right. The son of the wealthiest man in town was known to be as unforgiving as his father, so this was truly a favor which rarely Kai would give someone. Kyungsoo sighed and stopped right in front of the bedroom door, staring at it. If someone saw him, he was toast. And that was just the nice way of describing his fate.

Slowly, he opened the door, flinching when it creaked a bit. With his large, doe like eyes, Kyungsoo took a look up and down the hall, making sure there was noone there. Then, as silently as he could, the young man entered the hallway, keeping the door open so he could run inside the room as quickly as possible if something were to happen. 

Creeping through the house, Kyungsoo was able to see some of the paintings hanging on the wall. The details of some of these works of art were exquisite to say the least, and the pauper really did feel like he was in the castle of a prince. He had seen most of these painting in art museums, and he couldn't help but feel that the ones in the house here were actually the original. As soon as he saw that some of the paintings were aging within their glass frames, Kyungsoo knew that his assumptions were correct.

He momentarily stopped at a painting of what looked like the Kim family, soaking in the image. There was a young looking man, perhaps in his thirties, and Kyungsoo took a guess that this Mr. Kim a few years ago, some of the age lines he had now not in the painting. On his lap sat a little boy that appeared to be ten or so, and Kyungsoo smiled knowing that that was Kai. Taking a closer look at the painting, Kyungsoo noticed that there was an outline of another person, a very feminine figure. However, it had been covered by paint, as if to hide the image underneath. Was it Kai's mother? Kyungsoo shook his head at the disrespectful image. Covering the spouse who helped you in making such a wonderful child was disgraceful.

Kyungsoo slapped himself. Did he just call Kim Jongin, that spoiled, doll obsessed brat, wonderful? The guy who was basically blackmailing him and using him with an excuse that he'd expose him if he didn't do what he was told?

The doll continued his way down the hall, breathing a sigh of relief when he heard Joonmyun's voice in one of the rooms. He was prepared to go in until he saw the letters engraved on a plaque on the door: Kim Industries.

"It's his office!" Kyungsoo breathed, backing away from the door. Curiousity got the best of him, though, and he leaned against it with his ear, trying to hear what was going on. Joonmyun sounded frantic inside.

"Yes, sir, right away, sir!"

"I mean it, Joonmyun! You better hurry up with that fabric order! I told you three times in the past forty five minutes to do it! If you weren't my best employee I would've fired you by now!"

"I'm on it, sir! I promise, sir!"

"THEN MOVE IT!"

The barked order could be heard throughout the entire house by the entire household, and if Kyungsoo wasn't hallucinating, the house had actually started to shake. Suddenly, the office door flew open and Joonmyun was standing in the doorway. His eyes widened when he saw Kyungsoo out of the room.

"What are you doing?!" he whispered, hissing.

"Joonmyun, who are you talking to?" Mr. Kim asked, tearing his attention from some paper work he was filling out.

Joonmyun blocked the doorway with his body as Kyungsoo moved out of its way, hiding behind the wall. "Noone, sir! Going to order the fabric, sir!"

He stepped out and shut the door, still staring at Kyungsoo. He shook the boy, trying to see if that would knock some sense into him.

"What are you doing out of the room?!"

"Kai told me to get him a towel!" Kyungsoo explained. "He knows, Joonmyun! He saw me because of his damn dog! But he promised not to tell anyone as long as I do what he says..."

"A towel?" Joonmyun asked. "He asked you for a towel? Well then, where the hell are you going off to? There's a small closet right across from his room where the towels and robes are kept."

Kyungsoo's mouth formed into a small 'o.' Sighing, Joonmyun went in the direction of Kai's room, his friend right behind him. He walked up to the closet and opened it, gesturing to what was inside like a magician when he was presenting the final product of his magic trick. Kyungsoo's eyes narrowed when he saw the three shelves of towels and robes, just like Joonmyun had said. Grabbing a towel, he thanked Joonmyun with a mumble and walked back inside the bedroom, slamming the door behind him. Kai was on his bed, hair still wet from the shower he had taken before he called Kyungsoo in before.

Kyungsoo presented his new master with the towel, even bowing politely as if it was an honor to give it to him. Kai snickered then waved Kyungsoo off. The young man went back into the glass case, sitting down inside of it. He had done enough standing for the day.

Kai got out of his bed, and it was only then that Kyungsoo saw he was dressed in a suit. Mr. Kim was once again invited to a very formal affair and asked Kai to tag along. A ball held by Mr. Kim's biggest competitor, Kai was dressed in his best attire to outdo the son of the second largest business' owner, Mr. Lee. His son, Taemin, had been gaining too much popularity to Mr. Kim's displeasure, causing Mr. Lee's sales to dramatically increase and be extremely close to that of his. To appear to the public as if they were friends engaged in some friendly competition, Mr. Lee had invited Mr. Kim and his son. Kai fixed his bowtie and turned to Kyungsoo.

"How do I look?"

Kyungsoo lifted his head. His heart rammed against his chest at the sight of his new employer dressed so finely. His cheeks burned, and he turned away before Kai caught him staring.

"Like a prince."

"The answer should be priceless," Kai corrected, staring at himself in the mirror. "I should look not like a prince, not like a million bucks, but priceless."

"How come?"

Kai smirked. "Because though money is important in this business, that's not what the noonas should think when they look at me. Taemin can look expensive, but I should look reachable. Like they have a chance of getting to my heart."

Kyungsoo looked at him again. "Someone once told me that you have a heart of steel."

"That's right."

"But that's inhumanly impossible, unless you mean it in a figurative sense."

"No, my heart's really made of steel," Kai told him.

"Is not!" Kyungsoo roared, standing up. "That's not true! You're just as crazy as everyone says you are! First you're head over heels in love with an inanimate object and now you think that you have a heart made of metal!"

Kai laughed. "If I'm crazy then you're a moron. You know, for thinking that I was serious about that. My heart is steel in the figurative sense. And as for my doll, well, I wasn't exactly in love with it. It was just an object that I was attached to. Until your friend decided to break it."

Kyungsoo shut up and decided not to argue with this lunatic anymore. 'Attached' was not the right word to describe the feelings Kai had had towards D.O in his opinion, at least from what Joonmyun had told him. Clicking his tongue and pointing to Kyungsoo with hands formed into gunlike shapes, Kai stepped out of the room and went to meet his father downstairs, shuttin

Please log in to read the full chapter