A Mesmerizing Monday

The Replacement Doll
Please log in to read the full chapter

Sunday Night

As soon as he heard the shower head faucet turn on, Joonmyun ran back inside Kai's new bedroom. He rushed to the case with Kyungsoo inside, gulping when he saw the boy inside gasping from a lack of proper air. Opening the door, Joonmyun took Kyungsoo into his arms, assisting him in getting out of the case. He was careful not to ruin the doll's clothing on the boy.

Kyungsoo collapsed onto the floor, in as much air as he could. His eyes bulged from their sockets, his chest heaved up and down with a large struggle, as if someone had placed a heavy load upon it and he was trying to fight it. Joonmyun shook his head while chewing on his bottom lip. This would never do.

"I can't breath in there," Kyungsoo told his friend, looking up at him from his sprawled out position on the floor. "And it got extremely humid in there, like, right after you shut the door on me the first time."

Joonmyun wiped his temple with his handkerchief again, then fanned Kyungsoo with it. Maybe he could make some sort of opening in the casing; yes, that would work. Handing the handkerchief to Kyungsoo so the young man could fan himself, Joonmyun walked around the glass case, inspecting it. He snapped his fingers when he got an idea.

"Help me move this away from the wall," he instructed. Kyungsoo, with a heavy groan, stood up to do as he was bid. Both boys groaned as they pushed the case a bit forward from its original position. Then, as quietly as he could, Joonmyun slid in between the case and the wall, slowly opening a hatch in the back just a teensy bit. That would get some air circulation going.

Kyungsoo took a look at what Joonmyun had done after the employee emerged from the claustrophobic space. He went back inside the case and shut the door to see how it felt, smiling when he felt a small breeze hit his neck. He threw his head back in content, sighing. Joonmyun smiled as Kyungsoo nodded in approval. Giving Kyungsoo a thumbs up, Joonmyun tip toed out of the room before Kai could come back.

The new D.O repositioned himself as he had stood when his 'owner' had come in, only allowing his head to move. He had to admit that Kai was extremely attractive and that made him feel a little more comfortable here. Nevertheless, Joonmyun still totally owed him one. However, he didn't think he'd mind pretending to be a doll for such a good looking young man.

The shower head turned off. Kyungsoo saw steam pour in from another part of the room. Obviously, Kai was coming out of the shower. Kyungsoo forced himself to remain perfectly still as Kai walked in wearing a very expensive look, his gaze immediately floating to his doll. It took a lot of effort for Kyungsoo to restrain a smile. 

The rich young man grabbed some clothing from his drawer, thanking Joonmyun internally for folding it so nicely. In reality, though, Joonmyun was a terrible folder, and it had been Kyungsoo who ended up refolding everything before Kai got home. Kyungsoo watched as Kai went back into the bathroom to get changed. Though D.O was just a doll, Kai found it embarrasing to change in front of something with eyes. 

Soon fully dressed in his sleep wear, Kai climbed into his bed. Kyungsoo observed the king sized mattress was most likely the size of three king sized mattresses; at least six people could probably fit there! Kyungsoo gritted his teeth slightly, making the action invisible. Kai flipped onto his side so he could stare at the case for a while, clapping to turn the sound activated lights off. The room became immediately dark.

"Good night, D.O," he told the doll, yawning. Kyungsoo now had to fight laughing. This boy was insane...

~*~*~

Monday

Joonmyun, at five in the morning, poked Kyungsoo so the latter would wake up. The new doll jerked in its confinement. Joonmyun knew it was cruel to wake his friend up at such an hour, but if Kai woke up first and saw his 'doll' actually sleeping, what would happen then? Kyungsoo yawned silently, his face then scrunching up as he breathed in through his nose. Giving Joonmyun a thumbs up, Kyungsoo leaned back in the case as the employee raced out of the room, waiting for Kai to awaken.

The sun soon rose in the sky, igniting the room with a light that made the space feel like the outdoors. Kyungsoo sighed. He wasn't a very outdoorsey person, but right now, being outside and breathing some fresh air sounded like heaven. The vintage alarm clock standing beside the grand bed started to ring, and D.O watched as Kai sat up. To him, it looked like a sleeping prince had just awakened. How did Kai look so perfect in the morning?

Kai stepped out of his bed, dragging his feet to the bathroom to wash up. Halfway through his room he stopped and groaned, his hands covering his face.

"My tutor's coming today!" he complained. "Dammit!"

If there was anyone that Kai hated in this world, it was his tutor, Xi Luhan. That man never let Kai breathe normally, especially if they were learning mathematics. Not to mention, if Kai ever got something wrong, he'd never hear the end of it until he fixed his mistake.

The rich boy went back to his doll's case, using the figurine inside as a sort of consolation. He leaned sleepily against the glass, his usually alert eyes now glazed with the heavy fog of slumber. Kyungsoo thanked the groginess enormously; anything that prevented Kai from seeing who he was was a plus. Kai fumbled with the lock of the case, then, realizing he was still too sleepy to do anything too time consuming, he gave up and dragged his feet to the bathroom. Kyungsoo let out a breath he didn't even know he was holding.

Just as the bathroom door clicked shut, the bedroom one erupted open. A dozen maids burst inside of the room. Kyungsoo felt like squealing from horror. What on earth were they all doing here?! He saw one of them ride in with a cart covered in food filled trays.

Oh, they're bringing him his breakfast...

Kyungsoo's stomach growled in the case. Thankfully, the walls of it diminished the sound before it could reach the ears of the maids in the room. They rushed around performing different tasks to clean the room. Two maids did Kai's bed, another four set up his breakfast, the rest washed the windows and opened them, letting a wonderful breeze flow through the room. The air in the case became cooler, and the side of Kyungsoo's lips curved up. That felt oh so nice.

Another visitor soon entered the room. A toy poodle trotted inside, sniffing Kai's shoes which lay right at the entrance. The maids would have kicked the dog out if they didn't know that this was Jonggu, Kai's second pride and joy besides D.O, but since they did, the creature was permitted to stay. Kyungsoo would have cooed at the puppy if noone else was in the room, but of course, it just had to be full of people. 

Kai walked back inside his room in a new outfit, immediately shooing everyone out of the room. He opened the door of D.O's case, yet, was still afraid to touch him. What if the chemicals used to clean him yesterday were still there, and their effects harmful? Kai couldn't take the risk. Instead, he smiled at the doll, resisting the urge to carress his cheek. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, tried hard not to cry since his eyes burned from the lack of blinking.

That little toy poodle was his savior. It nudged Kai's ankle with its nose, drawing Kai's attention immediately. Kyungsoo blinked a thousand times while he still had the chance to, happy that his eyeballs hadn't fallen from their sockets. His stomach growled, but by some miracle, Kai thought it had been Jonggu's tummy that emitted the noise.

"You hungry?" he aske

Please log in to read the full chapter