Out of Place

It was only once

Taemin stared at the ceiling, his eyes wouldn't close. Every time he did, he saw only you. He wanted to hold you so close to him. He felt tears press against the inside of his eyes.

"Damn it, Caille," he pressed his hands against his face. His eyes burned.

He stepped out of bed and walked to the door. He pressed his forehead against the wood and let the tears fall.

He walked out of the room and slowly walked wobbled to the music room. He sat down at the piano and started to play a tune. His began to write a song.

"I'm-I'm sorry," he sobbed.

He played for the rest of the night.
~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>
You woke up in the morning and looked around the room. Jonghyun was fast asleep on the floor. You could hear the piano play on and on.

You walked around the halls, everyone was still asleep except for the guards and night servants.

You looked into the music room to find Taemin sobbing and playing the piano. "Taemin?"

________________________________

Your POV~

“How long have you been here?” I asked. He looked at me with his sad eyes.

“W-Were you here all night?” I asked. He nodded.

“I’m sorry, Caille. I don’t know what’s gotten into me.” He said.

“I understand. I changed, but people change, Taemin.” I said.

“I know. I just.. don’t know what to do.”

“Let’s just go with the flow for now, Taemin.” I sighed.

“I- Don’t think I can.”

“Why not?”

“I need some sort of reassurance that everything will be okay.” He looked at me for the reassurance.

“I can’t give that to you, dear.” I held out my hands, showing they were empty.

“I’ve gone so long without you, and you were scared of me, I thought you hated me. All I wanted was to have the Caille I married back, not the one who was scared of me.” Taemin said.

“But Taemin, they’re the same person. You can’t love one and not the other.” Tears began to form in my eyes.

“But now I have neither of those. You’re different. I still love you, it just doesn’t feel the same.” He said. My heart broke at his words, but I kept trying to keep my tears in.

“I’m different now. I can’t be the same as I was before I was . I’ll never feel the same, and people get older, Taemin. I’m sorry that you don’t love me the same way you used to, and I’m sorry I was scared of you. But I wish you would understand the amount of terror and mental scarring I went through by being terrified of you. You were my husband! And I couldn’t even LOOK at you without feeling as though I was about to die. Then, I wanted to die. I could’ve died anytime I wanted to while I was unconscious, but I kept fighting. You stayed up all those nights, hoping that the girl who would wake up would’ve forgotten about the entire event, and I would suddenly be the same girl I was before. Taemin, that didn’t happen! I’m sorry I didn’t fit that.” I cried. My voice was getting hoarse as I began to cry.

“I will never understand what you went through, partly because you won’t tell me! You hid from me that Evangeline chloroformed you, and basically sentenced you to . I may never even know why half of what happened around that event happened, because of all these secrets, and things I’m not allowed to know about. I want to know them because you’re my wife! I want to know everything about you, and be able to help you! I feel helpless, and as though I can’t do my job as a husband in protecting you.” Taemin explained, he was crying as well.

“You’re always helping more than you can ever understand, and I need you to have a little faith in me. If you could just have a little bit of blind faith in what I do, and what I say, then things could be okay. We knew when we signed up to marry each other that some things were going to be secret, because you are not going to become King. If you don’t think you can handle everything, then maybe you shouldn’t.” I continued to cry, feeling as though part of my heart was being ripped into two.

“Caille.. I-I just don’t know if I can have that much blind faith. I c-can barely deal with what’s going on right now, and-and it looks like it’ll just get worse.” Taemin whispered.

“So what are we going to do?” I asked him. Taemin looked at me, and my heart stopped at the look he gave me. He looked desperate, and torn in his emotions.

“Right now? We’re going into town to get you those pills, then we’ll go talk to Mother Dearest.” Taemin said, wiping his tears.

“Let’s do that. And first, let’s go get some breakfast, I’m pretty hungry.” I said. I wiped up my tears as well, and Taemin and I, as the great actors we had become, headed to breakfast together. I couldn’t help but notice though that he held my hand tighter than usually, and he squeezed it whenever he said my name. I could tell he meant it with love, but it felt so out of place.