Chapter 1

The Island Prince

 

The storm had left the sand on the beach wet, but that didn't stop the monkey from scouring through the sands. These storms sometimes brought strange and fascinating things to the beach. And he wanted to be the first to get a look at it. The others on the island didn't know of his treasure finding. Honestly it was better that they didn't, because then they would leave him and his things in peace. Jumping over a fallen tree, he landed on something unexpected. It was a large brown thing. Letting himself fall down from it, he proceeded to inspect it. This would certainly be the jewel in his collection. Except it was rather big, so how was he going to get it home without anyone noticing?

Studying it further he saw a crack going all the way around it at the top. Three places weird gold things held the two pieces together. Deciding for the lone one on one side, he started playing with the weird thing. A click and the part that was attached the lower half sprung up. The monkey jumped backwards in surprise. After calming his heart he went forward to inspect the thing. Tryingly, he lifted the top from the bottom. It went smoothly and well, and with a push, the top landed in the sand behind the thing.

Inside lay this weird material he'd found before and glittery rocks. Chains of gold with more glittery rocks. This was indeed a treasure.

Something down the beach caught his attention. It was something wrapped in that brightly colored material. Abandoning the brown thing, he hurried down the beach. A couple of meters from the thing, the monkey stopped in surprise. This wasn't a thing, but a living creature. There was a rise and fall in the chest. Slowly and carefully he went closer to the creature. It looked a bit like a hairless and slightly deformed monkey. Reaching out a hand, he touched the hairless cheek of the creature. It didn't stir.

This creature was just like the creatures on those decorated on some of his treasures. the cheek a couple of times, the monkey made his mind up. He would abandon those other things on the beach and bring this creature home.

 

Munching on banana, he sat in the top of a tree at the edge of the forest, staring over the water at the horizon. A warm wind blew against his bare skin. The only thing he was wearing was a piece of weird stuff around his hips, on Rao's request. It was times like these where he questioned life's greater problems. Like why did the crocodiles in the lagoon insist on eating everyone except him. Or why didn't anyone look like him. The apes were the closest, but not quite there. Was he the first of his kind? Was he supposed to mate with one of the apes and make more of his kind? But then again, he couldn't imagine himself mating with one of them. They were a bit too... immature. Except for Rao. That monkey was the complete opposite. Always so serious and annoyed.

“You want to give me some of that banana?” a voice interrupted his thinking. Looking to his right he found a brown furred monkey.
“Sure,” he answered and gave the monkey the rest of the banana. With eagerness, the monkey took it and started eating it. Actually not all monkeys were immature with exception of Rao. Dae, despite his eagerness and almost single mindedness when it came to food, was a monkey with sense and a great friend. Though he suspected Dae would sell you to the crocodiles if he could get more food out of it.
“So Chan, what are you thinking about?” Dae asked while eating, having accomplished the great feat of talking clearly while eating years ago.

“Why am I the only one who looks like me?”

“Ask Rao, he's the one who came back with you,” Dae answered and shrugged his shoulders.

“Yeah, like I'm gonna go ask Rao about anything. He starts grumbling about how ungrateful I am for asking questions, when I should just shut up and be happy I'm alive and well fed,” Chan grumbled with a pout.

“Some father he is,” his friend remarked.

“He's not my father. He came back with me one day and made sure I was fed,” he mumbled. That was Rao's words anyways. Pulling his legs up to his chest, he wrapped his arms around himself and stared at the horizon again. Dae had a family. A mother and a sister. Chan didn't. A small hand was placed on his arm.

“I know what you're thinking. And it's not that bad. You should stop looking at the horizon. It only makes you sad,” Dae told him, the small hand him. Chan looked at his smaller friend. “Come on. There's still some light left. Let's go talk with the parrots,” the monkey suggested, showing all his teeth. Chan let his mouth stretch into a smile and nodded.

“Last one to the nests is a rotten banana!” Chan challenged his friend as he unwrapped his legs and let himself fall down from the branch he was sitting on previously. Grabbing on to another branch further down, he swung back and forth a couple of times and let go. For a moment he soared in the air before latching himself on to a vine hanging from the tree. As he swung from vine to vine expertly, he heard Dae following behind him. Chan had to be quick and unhesitating if he wanted to beat Dae to the parrots. He wasn't as quick or small as the monkey, so he had a harder time maneuvering through the treetops. His friend was made for this, while he wasn't. Not to the same degree anyways.

Nearing the nests, Chan felt a surge of hope that this time he might just win the race. Parrots sitting and flying by him told him he was near. A rush of brown fur beside him and he saw Dae swing by him. Chan growled in frustration as he let go of the vine and flew through the air, before grabbing a branch strong enough to carry him and came to a halt. Not far from him on a smaller branch sat Dae grinning happily.

“When will you ever learn you rotten banana?” Dae mocked him. Chan gave him a glare before pulling himself up on the branch.

“Shut it,” Chan snapped and started climbing further up in the tree. Parrots were everywhere, calling at them, chatting with each other. They had always been noisy. Only four branches up though, before one flew over to them.

“K isn't here. He's in the lagoon with his newest victim,” the parrot squawked. Chan sighed. Typical.

“Where are the ahjus?” Dae asked.

“One down, three up,” the parrot told them. The monkey looked at him and grinned. With a nod, Chan agreed. After a quick thank you, the two of them went one tree down and three big branches up to find the ahjus. They were a collection of parrots who loved gossip more than the average parrot. And they were more than happy to share it with anyone who wanted to listen. Dae and Chan spent time with them whenever they didn't want to go look for K at the lagoon with his latest flirt.

“Oh it's the monkeys! Take a seat, take a seat, do you know what Liu did yesterday?” the ahjus squawked when they arrived. With a mutual grin, Dae and Chan made themselves comfortable and listened to the latest gossip of the island.

 

Something was on the water that wasn't there before. It was like a floating island, yet it wasn't an island. It was brown and big and though they weren't there anymore, Chan had seen large white things hanging from the weird trees on the weird “island”. He was sure it wasn't leaves as they had suddenly started getting smaller and smaller and leaves simply weren't that big. A smaller brown thing was now moving towards their island. Something like this had never happened before.

The small brown thing was now closer and Chan could see three weird figures in it. He wanted to get closer. Take a look at whatever it was that was coming to their island. And that's what he was going to do. Chan let himself fall from the branch he was sitting on, grabbed onto the next, fell, grabbed onto the next and repeated the process until his feet were planted on the ground. Before he could move further, towards the beach where the brown thing was headed, a familiar squawk stopped him.

“Hey K,” he greeted the parrot that landed on a low branch in one of the trees.

“I was coming to pull you out of your tree, but it seems like it wasn't needed this time,” K commented.

“I'm on my way to the beach. There's something on the way,” Chan told his friend. The parrot ruffled his feathers in interest.

“Like what?” K asked.

“Some brown thing. With figures in it. It's on its way to the bush beach,” he told K excitedly. The parrot ruffled his feathers again, a habit of interest.

“Well then let's go,” the parrot squawked, spread his wings and took flight. Chan followed his friend to the bush beach, that had gained its name from the many bushes that lined it up to the forest.

They stopped by the edge of the beach and K flew up and landed on one of the branches in a nearby tree. Chan hid himself behind a large bush and bended a couple of leaves out of the way to see. The brown thing was coming closer.

“K? Go get Dae will you?” Chan whispered to his friend.

“Yeah sure. Would you like a banana with that?” K squawked insulted back at him. Chan gave K a look.

“Please go get Dae? You're much faster than me,” he asked his friend with a pleading smile. K ruffled his feathers and with a 'was it that hard to be polite?' took flight. Chan looked back at the beach. The three figures in the brown thing was almost at the beach. One of the figures was moving back and forwards. It looked really weird. Now that they were this close, he could see it was some type of odd almost monkey-like creatures.

The brown thing hit the shore and one of the creatures jumped out of the brown thing and dragged it further up into the sand. Chan looked around for Dae and K, but they weren't here yet. He turned back to the creatures who were communicating with each other. It was impossible to hear what they were saying behind this bush though. His heart beat faster with excitement at the thought of revealing himself and go find out what they were talking about. But no. He didn't know if they were dangerous and Dae and K weren't here yet.

“So what's up?” Dae's familiar voice asked and Chan jumped slightly in shock. Next to him stood the grinning monkey, clearly satisfied he shocked his friend. Chan gave him a grumpy growl before answering.

“There's some weird creatures on our island,” he whispered and pointed to the beach. The creatures had stopped talking now and two of them were heading up towards the forest. One of them stayed by the brown thing.

“They look a bit... like... no I got nothing,” Dae pondered as they watched the two creatures come closer. One had brown fur on the head, the other blonde. But other than that, they were completely fur-less. They were wrapped in the same stuff Chan had around his waist.

“Yeah ok, I suggest we move, because they're coming our way,” K informed them and flew further up in the branches. Chan and Dae looked at each other panicked. The branches were too far up for them to grab.

“Let's play jumper,” Chan suggested in a whisper, looking back to the creatures coming closer and closer.

“But what about you?” Dae asked.

“I'm going to hide in this bush and hope they're stupid,” Chan answered internally hoping that was the case.

“Ok, we'll be right above you in case though,” the monkey said and Chan nodded. Holding out his arms, Dae jumped into them.

“1... 2... 3!” Chan counted down and threw his friend up into the air, at the same time the monkey jumped. Dae passed a couple of branches before grabbing on to one. As soon as he saw it, Chan gave the two creatures who were almost there and buried himself in the frail leaves of the bush.

“Ah, nothing beats land under your feet after so long at sea,” the brown furred creature said as they passed.

“I prefer the ground at home to quite honest,” the blonde furred one answered as they emerged into the forest. Chan raised himself from his crouching position as they disappeared from sight. These creatures moved loudly through the undergrowth of the forest.

“There's something familiar about those creatures,” Chan said quietly.

“I agree,” K squawked loudly from his branch.

“Could you quiet down! They might hear you!” Dae complained almost as loudly from his branch. Chan rolled his eyes at them with a small smile on his lips. They were a funny pair those two.

“Let's follow them,” he told his friends who were glaring at each other and did as said. Above him he heard the flutter of wings and the creak of a branch, telling him his two friends were following as well. Those creatures were really loud, so it wasn't hard.

“Oh, look at this plant, I haven't seen it before,” the blonde furred creature said and stopped up. The brown furred one sighed and stopped up as well with a small smile on his lips.

“We have a couple of days here before heading back. Can we explore first and then we can collect some plants for your research tomorrow?” the brown furred one asked. Chan stood and stared at them from behind a tree, realization struck upon him.

“Of course your highness. If you say so,” the blonde furred one said with a nod of his head, before the two continued on. Chan stood where he was, not moving further.

“Hey what's wrong?” Dae asked and landed beside him.

“Yeah they're getting away,” K followed, landing on a low branch.

“What do the those creatures remind you of?” Chan asked his friends, a thousand feelings rushing through him.

“I don't know, I've never actually seen things like that really. Though they look a bit familiar,” Dae answered.

“They look a bit like monkeys,” K said. Chan shook his head.

“They look like me,” he told them, not sure what he was feeling right now. K and Dae looked at him inquiringly for a while before making big eyes.

“You're right,” they said in chorus. Quietly they stood there, listening to the life of the forest as they thought their own thoughts.

A scream sounded through the trees.

 

--------------

Ok so I told a very nice person that I really like I would update last night, but I didn't. Instead I played Barbie in the 12 dancing princesses on playstation, chatted with a friend and drank wine (and got slightly... drunk). I'M REALLY SORRY!

If it makes you feel better, I'm being punished for it right now... not a hangover, no I don't get those... but every single door frame, table and chair from here to Rome (that's a long way) seems to have targeted my left foot -.- it hurts....

ok enough of that...

here's the first chapter ^^

Peace out (^_^)v