That Year

A Year Ago

 

 

Instead of running around with his gang Kris was now a secretary working inside a packaging firm. He was in charge of looking over shipping orders, handling phone calls, and organizing schedules instead of doing drug counts, running dirty errands, or watching out for the cops.

If it hadn’t been for that year that felt just like last year, he wouldn’t have pulled it through. And that year had always felt like the last as if to remind him of what he had gone through and why he’d taken a step away from what he used to be. That little kid of his would have died in the incubator and his girlfriend would have died meaninglessly if it weren’t for that year he met her.

Hyunsoo, his 3 year old son, was now diligently walking about refusing to be held. The thought that his son already wanted to be independent made his heart a little bitter and sorrowful. The good thing was, they were heading somewhere in life with direction. He now had a better home even if it was still a tiny cramped up space, but it was affordable and he had learned to open an account to stash his money.

Kris believed he was more responsible, if not the best.

It was late summer and the sun was heating up the entire sky spanning above the busy Seoul metropolitan. Just as promised, he’d taken Hyunsoo to the community park by the river. Kris had finally learned to start keeping promises after failing to do so so many times. He couldn’t even count the number of times he’d seen disappointment in his girlfriend’s face before she died. And he really hated to think about it.

The kids were really noisy. All of them were really young children under the age of 10. Kris had been watching them run around in their own little games coming down the slides, running up the slides, on their swings, or on the monkey bars. Their high shrieks hurt his ears, but he had to tolerate it. If any of them hurt his Hyunsoo he’d hunt their parents down for a talk, but while watching them at play he’d gotten bored and had fallen asleep on the rich grass nearby.

Kris only awoke when Hyunsoo was shaking him. The tiny hand on his arm forced him to open his eyes confused.

“Huh?” he first asked.

“Daddy! Look!” Hyunsoo held out something cool against his face and Kris turned away before sitting up.

The sun was still high over the river and the kids were still making their rackets nearby. Kris supposed he hadn’t been asleep for long.

When he turned to his son he saw that he was holding out a sandwich wrapped in cool plastic. It looked like one of the ready-to-go sandwiches anyone could purchase from a corner store. Kris immediately wondered where Hyunsoo had gotten it.

“Over there!” Hyunsoo slightly twisted around and held his arm out to point in a direction to an upward hill as if knowing what Kris would ask.

Kris narrowed his eyes before standing up, “Who’d you take it from? Come on, lets go return it.”

“But…but he gave it to me!” Hyunsoo complained when Kris grabbed his hand and started leading him toward the hill. “Daddy!”

“How many times have I told you stealing is wrong?”

“But he gave it to me, he gave it to me!” Hyunsoo jumped up and down while throwing his tantrum.

Kris just sighed and sometimes wished his son wasn’t so cunning. Why’d he learn to speak so fast at 3 years old?

Kris bent forward to pick Hyunsoo up as they started up the hill and saw that he had tears forming in his eyes before setting him back down when they reached the top. He’d never left Hyunsoo hungry even once. That was why his face was so healthy and plump. Would he want to lose that baby fat when he got older?

Hyunsoo was a handsome kid. Most of his features had been inherited from his girlfriend. Perhaps the only thing Hyunsoo had inherited from him was his personality, which was very bad. How would he ever deal with the kid when he got older?

Just a few yards away Kris spotted someone sleeping on a blanket sprawled out on the grass. There was a small picnic basket sitting at the corner beside a pair of sandals. His eyes landed on a pair of legs evenly tucked against each other before he saw a woman asleep with her back turned to him. It didn’t seem like a good time to be bothering her, but if Hyunsoo had taken the sandwich from her basket he was obligated to return it.

“Oh!” he heard someone sound before turning to see a little boy in trousers running up the hill with his tiny fishing pole.

He had a red cap on his head and his eyes were big and sturdy when he looked toward them. He almost looked alarmed and protective before running over to the sleeping woman. Dropping his fishing pole on the grass he kneeled beside her and grabbed the book she had over her face before looking at them.

“Who are you? What are you doing here?” he questioned in an interrogative manner with his cute unthreatening voice.

Kris was almost fluxed before he glanced at Hyunsoo, “I was just returning the sandwich my son took.”

The 3 year old boy’s eyes darted at Hyunsoo before saying, “I let him have it. He looked hungry when he came here.”

Kris looked at Hyunsoo who was clutching the triangular sandwich close to his small chest before he heard the woman moan and stretch before sitting up.

“Did you catch a fish, Dongyul?” the woman turned to her son and ruffled her short hair.

He watched her head tilt toward the fishing pole lying in the grass then to her son’s face before turning around. She looked shocked at having unexpected their company before taking a breath.

“Can I help you?” she questioned, but the cat had caught his tongue.

Kris knew her. He recognized her right off the spot even if she stared at him somewhat strangely with her eyebrows crossed.

“Daddy,” Hyunsoo tugged on his hand.

“Oh…the sandwich,” Kris took it from Hyunsoo before holding it out.

Namjoo frowned before her son explained, “I gave it to him. It’s ok, right mom?”

Mom…

She put a hand on her son’s head and Kris watched his eyes flicker proudly. He was certainly a mama’s boy.

“It’s all right. Your son can have it,” she said. She glanced at Hyunsoo before leaning over to pull out a tiny yogurt drink out of the basket and held it out, “Do you want this too?”

Hyunsoo looked up at Kris uncertainly before Kris nodded. He watched Hyunsoo happily bound forward to take it from the girl with a cute thanks before running back to Kris’ side. Kris felt Hyunsoo tug on his pants and suddenly wondered how it was that Hyunsoo seemed younger than Dongyul when Hyunsoo had come into the world first.

“Are you hungry? Were there a lot of people by the river?” the girl spoke to her son quietly.

Dongyul stared at his mom intently and shook his head before slightly looking over at them with what looked like a hinted glare in his eyes. A split second later the woman turned around to look up at him almost confused.

“Is there…something wrong?” she asked.

“You don’t remember me?” Kris wondered.

She blinked her eyes before slightly tilting her head, “My memory isn’t so good. Sorry. Maybe if you tell me your name I might remember.”

“It’s Kris.”

She stared at him before suddenly dropped open, “Oh! Hi! It’s been a long time! Wow, 3 years is it? I last saw you at the hospital, right?” Then her eyes finally landed on Hyunsoo again. “He’s gotten big.”

A smile lit Kris’ lips before he smiled and it suddenly felt like 3 years ago was just a year ago again.

Kris still remembered that night 3 years ago when he’d gotten a phone call that the drugs had gotten stolen by one of the rival gang members. He needed to go out with his gang and retrieve it back. That was when he still lived with his girlfriend in her tiny apartment.

Jin Hee was 9 months pregnant and nearing her due date. Actually, Kris hadn’t known when her due date was. He’d never taken her to the doctor even once and when he promised to show up for it, he never did.

He’d just gotten up from bed and was slipping his jacket on. While sleeping he’d been unaware of Jin Hee’s cries from the severe contractions she’d been having. He had been ignorant and had neglected her to the point of no return. Why she had even tolerated him, he didn’t know.

It was her close friend that came over often to help her around and accompany her to the hospital. Kris tried to avoid her at all costs due to the sole fact that she took every chance she had to sit him down and lecture him. Jin Hee’s friend was annoying and he hated her.

“Can you not go out tonight?” Jin Hee’s face was soaked in sweat when she struggled up.

Her belly had been huge and she often took to just wearing one of his shirts.

His eyes landed on her and she pressed her lips together before an expression of disappointment swept her eyes, “Never mind. Go ahead.”

“I’ll be back later.” Kris called as he headed for the door, but he didn’t know that ‘later’ wouldn’t exist.

He met up with the gang at the south side and moved east to ambush the rival gang. A long fight ensued by the abandoned Coke factory and he had fractured his hand in the process. After four hours the drugs were given up to them and he followed the gang to their home base where they patched up their bleeding wounds.

Kris returned home at early dawn to find the apartment empty. Jin Hee was always around. No matter what she had always been around waiting for his return, but that day she hadn’t been there.

“Jin Hee?” he called out and passed the old cereal box on the kitchen table before heading toward the bathroom where he found blood slithering on the ground.

And for the first time in his life he was alarmed.

“Jin Hee!” he screamed before turning around to search the house again. “Jin Hee! Where are you!?”

Dashing through the door he ran around the block. People had always left him, but Jin Hee had chosen to stay and she always stayed. If she didn’t go through the worst for him, who would?

He returned to the house panting heavily and slowly paused outside wondering if one of the neighbors had found her. Then the ringing of the home phone caught his ears before he ran inside. Yura, Jin Hee’s best friend, was crying on the other line…

Kris’ heart was racing as wildly as it had the first time he met her, but in a negative way. All hopes were dead for him this time. The biggest lesson of his life was just being taught to him now.

While he’d been out Jin Hee’s water had broke. She’d called Yura in panic, but unable to hold on had started the struggle of giving birth to their son desolately in the three hours, all by herself. Jin Hee was almost unconscious and barely able to reply when Yura got there. Upon panic Yura called the ambulance, but it was already too late.  

The doctors were currently trying to stop Jin Hee’s hemorrhaging, but it didn’t look so bright. The baby had arrived safely, but Jin Hee wasn’t in good condition. She hadn’t received the medical attention she needed at the most critical time. And Kris would only realize his fault later.

Kris’ footsteps were pounding against the floor of the hospital heavily; each step carrying the worry he never knew he had. Nurses froze when they saw how beat up he was, but no one approached him for due fear that he might hit them.

The sound of his chest heavily darting up and down was all that vibrated in his ears before he finally spotted Yura crying outside of the ER ward.

Time finally stopped in motion and he heard himself breathing hard before slowly approaching her. The hallway seemed dark and the only light there was the one coming from behind the ER doors.

“Where is she?” Kris questioned stopping in front of her.

Yura stood back from the wall and lunged at him. “Where the have you been!? How could your ing drugs be more important than Jin Hee!? She’s dying because of you! I should have had my brother shoot you down the moment you met her! You’re the worst thing that’s ever happened to her!” Yura sobbed heavily again before she finally muttered, “Jin Hee’s already dead because of you…”

Kris felt his lips drop apart and he stood there in front of her blatantly frozen. For about two hours he stood there with his mind racing. Jin Hee had given him a home, food, care, and love he hadn’t received from even his mom. Her parents even disowned her when they found out about him, but she never ceased smiling for him. He’d promised her such empty words of a better future and love, all which he had failed effortlessly. These kinds of thoughts about the things he’d said to her in their early years were only flashing back to him now.  

The doctor finally appeared half an hour later to give them the worst news he’d ever had to hear.

Their baby had a hole in his heart and had a hard time breathing so the doctors had placed him in an incubator for further observation. And Jin Hee…hadn’t made it.

Kris cried for the first time in his 22 years of life. His most loved person had finally left.

Her parents shoved him and her mother continuously pushed him angrily at the funeral ward scolding him, blaming him, and shaming him. He had been the downfall of Jin Hee’s life. Kris had ruined her, taken every golden opportunity she had and tossed it out the window. They would take the apartment and leave him on the streets. Go to his gang or whatever. Live the rest of his life selling drugs. No one would feel sorry for him. He could take his baby because they didn’t want him, not if he had a father like Kris. It was embarrassing and shameful. He would be punished, his sins would come back to haunt him. No one would forgive him.

And no one did.  

Kris had loitered around the gang home front for the first two days after Jin Hee’s funeral. He cried while watching the sunrise recalling the young days when he’d been reckless and just out of high school. It had been the time when he’d first met Jin Hee. Everything had been almost picture perfect and romantic. Late night dates and walks before he’d steal into her room by her window and sleep with her. Then when she moved out of her home for university he began living with her and everything…started darkening as if God had closed a door on them.

He joined the gang for money before going out with them every night became habit. When Jin Hee got pregnant he neglected his duties as her lover. Not once had Kris tried looking after her while she’d been pregnant, so he’d never known how hard it had been for her alone. Jin Hee never complained to him either, mostly because he had never been there but if he had he would just be sleeping.

But now…no one would wait for his return. He didn’t know responsibility. How was he to look after their son?

Kris woke up the next morning when he heard loud voices outside. Getting up from the uncomfortable chairs he’d been sleeping in he walked outside of the shed before discovering the guys harassing Yura.

“What are you doing?” Kris questioned before they stopped and turned.

“Who’s this hot chick? Why aren’t you sharing her?” one of them questioned.

Another one playfully slapped him across the chest exclaiming, “You already started digging after your girlfriend died?”

Kris sent him a glare before snapping, “Leave her alone.”

Making his way through the two he grabbed Yura’s arm before dragging her out of sight. When they finally stopped near a field of ugly yellow wheat he asked, “What are you doing here?”

“I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for Jin Hee, you know,” she hissed before pulling something out of her girly purse. Shoving a white envelope into his chest she told, “Because she loved you so much, she never used even a dollar on herself, you pig. It should be more than enough for that baby she gave up so much for.” She looked away and continued, “He’s still waiting for you in the hospital. At least feel guilty enough to go look after him, you shameful father. Jin Hee left him to you for a reason, so learn to grow up for once, you er!”

Yura spun around on her heels and started to walk away before slightly turning around quietly, “If you need more money, you know how to contact me. I wouldn’t be a friend if just let her baby die.”

Kris watched her go and finally took the initiation to go to the hospital in the late evening. For the first time he saw his miracle lying weakly inside the incubator. His fresh eyes were closed and the tiny hair on his head had dried. They’d put a tiny white diaper on him, but that was all. All the tiny tubes stuck into his small body made Kris’ heart ache somewhere, but he wasn’t sure if he was really feeling sorry or if he was disgusted by the gazillion tubes.  

The doctor reported to him that the baby would have to stay for a while longer. Sometimes the con heart defects closed by themselves, other times not. And the doctors were waiting to see how the baby’s body was functioning.

Jin Hee had been a healthy person, so Kris could only trust that the baby had inherited the best from her. Honestly, he didn’t know how he felt. He was a father, but he didn’t know how to be one. He never had an example to learn from. His mother had been a part time bar girl and sometimes there were different men in his house every night – not that he was old enough to know what went on then. Kris’ life had just been some sort of mess up and he’d always continued messing up.

How was he…supposed to take care of their little one?

It was when he was walking out of the surgical ward that he saw a young girl sitting by herself on one of the chairs in the hallway just in front of him. She had her head slightly lowered and when he neared he noticed her large belly. He slightly paused and stared as if trying to build an image of pregnant Jin Hee inside his mind.

The image never built up though. And he was brought back to reality when she struggled up before placing a hand on her belly. As she turned away he finally caught sight of her face. He recognized her as the quiet girl in his senior class.

Kris had watched from afar as her boyfriend beat her one night on the basketball court. He hadn’t done anything because he didn’t know what to do. On that quiet night he’d been sipping his can of soda listening as he screamed and lunged at her.

Half an hour after he left her laying there Kris finally went over to see if she was still alive. Back then he didn’t know much sympathy nor had he much of a heart.

“You ok?” he asked after lightly touching her with his foot.

She moved a little before pulling herself up, first placing a hand over her face. “I’m ok.”

Kris blinked and stared at her before watching her limp as she walked away. And the next day she didn’t come to class.

The next day when he came to the hospital he stood in front of the incubator and watched his baby sleep as if quietly dreaming away. What would he do if the baby didn’t make it? What would Jin Hee think of him?

Then he remembered all the names Yura had called him and suddenly felt like laughing at himself. How did Jin Hee expect him to care for their son? What trust did she have in him? How…was he to meet her standards?

And when he stared back into the incubator he found himself wishing that Jin Hee hadn’t died. If she was there with him she’d know what to do. Why was he so hopeless without her? And when Kris thought about her dying, he felt like crying again.

When he left the ward he saw that girl staring out a hospital window in the hallway. He slightly narrowed his eyes before turning to see a soda machine nearby. After a moment he finally approached her. She turned around surprised before frowning at him.

“Do you want this?” he asked holding a can out to her.

“I don’t drink soda,” she replied a little stiffly.

Kris glanced at the soda before pulling his hand back, “Do I know you?”

Her frown deepened in confusion.

“You were in my high school class, weren’t you?” he asked. “I’m Kris.”

She nodded her head back in recognition, “Ah…what are you doing here?”

Kris slightly glanced back into the hallway before saying, “Visiting my baby.”

“Is he getting a checkup?”

He shook his head simply, “He’s being put under observation. He has a hole in his heart.”

Her face melted into immediate sympathy, “Oh I’m sorry.”

“It’s fine,” he shook his head. “What was your name again? I can’t remember. I only remember faces.”

“Namjoo, Kim Namjoo,” she smiled.

That was right. Namjoo. He remembered the smart quiet girl who didn’t really have friends. Not that it really mattered to him, but she had always been in his line of vision. They sat in the back row. While his seat was closer to the door hers had been by the window.

“What are you looking at?” he wondered.

“The sky.”

“Why?”

“Just because.”

Then she put a hand at her back before slowly trudging toward one of the empty chairs close by. Kris watched her plop down into the seat before letting out a breath.

“Are you here alone?” she asked.

Kris slowly nodded.

“Your wife at work?”

“She passed away.” Kris replied quietly.

Her eyes became empathic, “Sorry.”

Kris’ eyes dropped to her bulging stomach, “Is it hard?”

“What’s hard?”

He nodded his head toward her stomach and watched her laugh.

“I think that when he gets here, it’ll be worth it,” Namjoo happily said.

“He?”

Namjoo nodded with a slight smile, “I’m having a boy. He’ll be here in three months.”

Watching her speak so proudly made him feel bad indeed. He hadn’t even known when Jin Hee was six months pregnant. Kris had never kept track of anything. Not their baby in Jin Hee’s womb or Jin Hee alone.

“I gotta go. It was nice seeing you,” Namjoo said before struggling to her feet.

He watched her go into the elevator before he left as well. When he came back the next day his baby was still silently sleeping in the incubator. There was no improvement in his health and Kris didn’t know what to do, but stare at him. This little thing sleeping inside…how was he to take care of it? What was he supposed to do for him?

Namjoo was sleeping in one of the waiting seats near the window when he found her. Her head was slowly tilting to her left when he spotted her. Wondering if she might fall over he quickly walked forward, tossed his hand out, and felt her head land against his palm.

Did she have no place to go to? Why was she always loitering around the hospital?

Climbing over the sofa he took the seat beside her and cautiously let go of her head only to feel it gently bang against his shoulder. Kris was almost surprised at first, but he suddenly thought about Jin Hee and the last time he’d been intimate with her – he couldn’t remember. Ever since Jin Hee had become pregnant his attention on her had lessened the more time he spent with the gang.

His eyes swerved to Namjoo’s bulging belly and curiously placed his hand on it. While he still had Jin Hee, he’d never once set his hand on her stomach when she was pregnant. Kris had never been curious about her pregnancy, but when he wanted to be curious now Jin Hee was already no longer there.

Namjoo’s belly was really warm and Kris suddenly pulled his hand back shocked when he felt a thud against his hand. Kris had never felt a baby kick before and wasn’t quite sure what had just happened until he felt Namjoo lift her head up from his shoulder. She let out a small groan before reaching her hand up to touch the back of her neck.

“Oh? You’re here?” Namjoo asked when she turned to see him. “How’s your baby doing?”

“I don’t know. Not good…I guess,” Kris slightly tilted his head toward the floor and then played with his fingers. “What was that? I felt something hit me.”

Namjoo raised her brows before looking at her belly. She slightly smiled and laughed amused at his cluelessness, “Baby kicked. You’ve never felt it before?”

Kris lowered his eyes almost embarrassed, “No. I always left my girlfriend alone, so I don’t know.”

He could feel her eyes on him for a long time as if trying to depict his story, his pitifulness.

“Can I go see your baby?” Namjoo asked after a while.

She paused beside him when they walked inside the isolated room. Before entering they’d been instructed to wear hospital aprons and gloves. His baby was still sleeping in the same position he’d last seen him in.

“Does he have a name?” Namjoo questioned.

Kris shook his head.

“You should give him a name,” Namjoo told. “He’s so small.”

He didn’t know what to say. Kris wanted to imagine that Jin Hee was there with him, but she wasn’t. Instead his high school classmate was there leading him step by step into something he should have already started learning when Jin Hee was pregnant; parenthood.

Why…was he so stupid?

“What are you doing?” he asked when Namjoo began reaching her hand inside the circular opening.

“Touch him,” Namjoo replied. “A baby can hear things from inside the womb, you know? Have you ever spoken to him when your girlfriend was pregnant with him?”

Kris looked flushed with embarrassment again, “No.”

Namjoo only smiled before reaching her hand inside to touch his baby’s tiny hand, “They feel a sense of belonging when they’re inside the womb. His only sense of connection now is you. If he knows you’re here for him, he’ll have the strength to get better. Don’t you think that the creation of him from you and your girlfriend is a really amazing thing?”

She turned to look at him and all he said was, “I never thought about it.”

Instead of giving him an outright lecture like Yura Namjoo calmly told, “You can’t leave your little guy alone forever. You come here for a reason, don’t you? I’d like to think that you’d want to take care of him. Your girlfriend would want that, right?”

Kris glanced at Namjoo and watched her smile before she took his hand and slowly led it into the circular opening.

“Your daddy’s here. You’ve been waiting for him, haven’t you?” Kris listened to her speak before she urged him, “Talk to him too. He wants to hear you.”

He wanted to ask how she would know, but held back from doing so. Instead he lightly clamped his fingers around his son’s small hand and for the first time felt a sickening warmth sink into him. Kris thought for a moment he almost wanted to cry. This was so new…so different. This in front of him was his. He finally felt so relieved for some reason.

“I’m sorry, daddy’s here now,” he spoke very softly. “Please get better.”

When he turned a few minutes later Namjoo was no longer beside him. Kris walked out of the room surprised and looked around before he was told that Namjoo had left. He wanted to give her his gratitude and a word of thanks, but when he reached the front doors he stopped when he saw a man put his arm around her before leading her into the lot. He was envious, a bit jealous. The smiles that fluxed over their faces were so full of tender happiness; the kind that he could no longer give Jin Hee and the kind he would no longer receive because he’d taken her for granted.

That night Kris didn’t return to the gang home base. He walked around the city trying to look for a job and a small place to live. He stopped in front of a bulletin board and scanned the advertisements pinned up. For the first time in his life he wanted to do something different. He didn’t know why, but he felt the impulse to switch directions. Kris was unsure, a little fearful, but he had no choice since he was the fault of why he was alone.

Kris got to the hospital around the afternoon the next day. As he was passing through the parking lot he recognized Namjoo by the front doors with a man. Kris watched him kiss her on the head and squeeze her shoulder before she waved and watched him walk back to his car before heading inside. After watching the car drive off he walked inside at first in search of his newly founded friend, but after being unable to find her he went to look at his baby who he decided he would name Hyunsoo.

The doctor finally gave him news that flooded him with relief. His son’s condition was greatly improving. Hyunsoo didn’t have problems breathing on his own and would be able to go home with Kris after two days. Surgery didn’t seem to be required for the hole in his heart, but if he had difficulty breathing or taking in food Kris would have to bring him back.

A smile was lighting his lips up when he felt Hyunsoo’s small fingers wrap themselves around his. And Kris thought he would be scared if he ever had to hold the delicate being.

“How’s it going?” Namjoo waved to him in the hallway when he walked out.

“He’s finally coming home with me,” Kris told elated, “but I’ll have to find a place to stay first.” Then he noticed the piece of paper in her hand. “What’s that?”

“Ultrasound,” Namjoo answered then as if knowing that he’d probably never seen one asked, “wanna see?”

Kris nodded before walking over. The black and white on the piece of paper that was supposed to be her baby and her stomach amazed, yet confused him. It was fascinating and Kris had never seen it before. He had a hard time telling what was what until Namjoo explained.

“What?” Namjoo asked when she saw his face.

Kris looked around before turning back to her a little sullenly, “Nothing. I’m just thinking about how much I missed when Jin Hee was pregnant.”

“Your girlfriend?” Namjoo asked and he nodded. “Think of it this way, at least you have a chance to make it up to her. All you have to do is make sure your son grows up well.”

Kris let her advice sink in before smiling, “Thanks.” He glanced at her before asking, “Are you hungry? Lets grab lunch or something.”

Namjoo was on her fourth plate of food after just thirty minutes when they arrived at the restaurant. She ate hungrily and made the food look better than it tasted. Watching her made Kris think about how poorly Jin Hee must have eaten when she was pregnant. If he had been better to her she might have survived labor. Why had he been so horrible?

“I saw you earlier,” Kris told, “was that your husband who dropped you off?”

Namjoo nodded with an almost shy smile, “My husband, Kyungsoo.”

Husband… Then Kris finally saw the gold ring flashing on her ring finger. So she was married.

Jin Hee had never received a piece of refined jewelry from him. Kris had actually never thought of gifting her one, because he had been that selfish.

“For how long?”

“About two years.” Namjoo pressed her lips together and went on, “He goes to school, while I stay home and make sure he gets the best. As for me, I’m too embarrassed to continue my education with my belly this big. We get frequent visits from his parents, but we’re mostly on our own. Not that I mind, but I’m comfortable with things the way they are.”  

Kris was jealous. He would have never thought of marrying Jin Hee like Namjoo’s husband had thought to marry her. There were so many points he had missed along the way. Why…was he only reflecting now when it was too late?

A pitiful smile crossed his lips before he tilted his head down, “I’m envious.”

“Of what?” Namjoo was confused.

“Everything your husband does for you, and the things you’ve shown me,” Kris admitted, “I’ve never done any of that with my girlfriend. And I can’t do anything with her now. I’m such…a horrible person.”

Namjoo only watched him silently without any comment. He thought he liked it better that way. He didn’t want her to try to cheer him up or tell him that things would get better. Kris didn’t want to hear unrealistic things.

And that was probably the last he’d seen of her. The little things she had shown him and said to him were the biggest things that had stuck in his mind as he fought to turn over a new leaf and make up for his mistakes.

Kris never left Hyunsoo by himself and whenever he had the chance he spoke to his son. He would tell Hyunsoo of stories he’d heard or events he read in the newspaper. Sometimes he would tell Hyunsoo about his mother and the things he wished to do in the future. And Kris thought that these little things brought him closer to Hyunsoo’s heart.

Luckily, Hyunsoo’s health never failed and they never had to make a trip to the hospital. Hyunsoo really had gotten the best from Jin Hee and he owed it all to her.

It was thanks to her savings that he’d been able to find a small enough space for him and Hyunsoo until he found a job well enough to support them. Very slowly he drifted away from the gang and just never went back. They never came out to look for him either and Kris thought he was lucky there.

Thinking back to that year taught Kris that he would have never made it through if it wasn’t for the high school friend he’d met. He never would have known what to do with Hyunsoo in that incubator. Kris would have never thought to touch or talk to him. He wouldn’t have known to think or empathize about the many sufferings Jin Hee had to go through alone. He wouldn’t have known how it was to feel a baby’s kick in the womb because he had missed so much. And it was all thanks to Namjoo that he’d learned these simple things.

Kris turned to look at Hyunsoo who had gotten shy all of a sudden and looked at Namjoo who was smiling at his son.

“I want home,” Dongyul grabbed Namjoo’s arm for her attention and slightly leaned against her. “I want home!”

A smile tweaked Namjoo’s face before she put a hand on the back of Dongyul’s head to calm him, “Ok, ok. Grab your pole and we’ll go.”

Namjoo got up and slipped her sandals on before grabbing the basket, her book, and the blanket.

“Bye Hyunsoo,” she waved to his son before turning to him, “it was nice seeing you. Have a safe trip home.”

“Yea, you too,” Kris smiled and watched Dongyul grab her hand and say something Kris couldn’t understand.

“Ok, ok,” Namjoo muttered before handing him the blanket to carry.

Kris watched them trudge off into the distance before he picked Hyunsoo up.

“Your friend, daddy?” he asked.

“A good friend,” Kris gently pinched his cheek and started down the hill before pausing and turned back to see Namjoo and Dongyul disappearing into the distance.


***This was too calming and boring, huh? /sighs

***Then consider this an introduction into their oneshot collection, I guess.

***I'll write up a oneshot sequel and make that one more fun and enjoyable to read. 

***I didn't expect subscribers, but thank you ^^